• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Guys, I know it's been stated elsewhere in the thread, but I can't find it anymore: What can I sell? I keep seeing people say anything that says that it "can be sold for money" or whatever, but I don't have a single thing like that. I have a lot of materials and things after the boss in the desert city ruins but I know I'm not far enough to know what I do or don't need. :(

Astral

Guys, I know it's been stated elsewhere in the thread, but I can't find it anymore: What can I sell? I keep seeing people say anything that says that it "can be sold for money" or whatever, but I don't have a single thing like that. I have a lot of materials and things after the boss in the desert city ruins but I know I'm not far enough to know what I do or don't need. :(

Then don't worry about selling anything right now. Money isn't a huge issue for most of the game. By the time you might need it you'll have plenty to sell.

Moaradin

the most annoying thing about this game is there's a ladder in the
machine
village that people keep leaving their corpses next to and it's making it almost impossible to climb up, because you're constantly falling off.

Lol I constantly had to deal with that on PS4. Nobody was doing it on PC, at least when I played. Guess they didn't figure out how to grief with that yet.

Moose/Boar meat, fish, machine cores, tires. There are other things but aren't worth the energy, frankly. Do not sell Beast Hide.

Kill all the white animals you see. White meat and machine cores are what will fund your purchases.

Then don't worry about selling anything right now. Money isn't a huge issue for most of the game. By the time you might need it you'll have plenty to sell.

That makes sense, I suppose. I was hoping to buy a few more things though.

So you'd recommend I hold onto my 6 Torn Books and Thick Dictionary? All my Broken Keys? What does that end up being used for?

Renewed

Hmm I checked amazon Japan following chrono's tip and ordered the OST. Came out to ¥4,742 ($57 CAD). Thanks!

Also now beginning a new game for 100%, although I can take my time and see what Squeenix/P* does for a patch.

That makes sense, I suppose. I was hoping to buy a few more things though.

So you'd recommend I hold onto my 6 Torn Books and Thick Dictionary? All my Broken Keys? What does that end up being used for?

If it says "can be sold for money" then it's safe, except for beast hides. keep those. pretty much everything else is crafting materials

I think there's a lot of Route B you could skip and miss nothing cause it's just a repeat of Route A. They needed a skip to the midway point option cause that's where most of the differences lie.

idk it's pretty short and easy to rush through anyway, and fits well with the structure of the first game

Not to expose myself as a horrible, sexist piece of shit but I'm surprised nobody noticed with all the 2B booty talk around that the Commander's butt could basically be renamed The Bunker.

Just finished C. I'm not sure what I expected, but it wasn't that. Fucking great.

Is it going to start me on D next, or is D if I choose 9S in the final fight?
Not to expose myself as a horrible, sexist piece of shit but I'm surprised nobody noticed with all the 2B booty talk around that the Commander's butt could basically be renamed The Bunker.
I'm like 99% sure even pascal qualifies for bootilicious status

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

By the sound of things, you are way too early in the game to even worry about money yet anyway.

But really you will collect a massive assortment of items that are clearly labelled as you quoted. For now, stop worrying and make progress while picking up glowing bits that pop out of enemies and are scattered en route to destinations. Do so, and you will be fine.

When money actually matters, you will be swimming in it and plenty of stuff to sell.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Just finished C. I'm not sure what I expected, but it wasn't that. Fucking great.

D is from exactly what you expect. Just reload that final fight with chapter select

Astral

Correct. Both D and E are choices.

D is from exactly what you expect. Just reload that final fight with chapter select

Correct. Both D and E are choices.

Alrighty, got it. Thanks.

Oddly, I think my favourite thing about this game is the weird genre-blending fights. The end of C had my heart racing (still racing, tbh) and I'm fairly sure this qualifies as one of my favourite games at this point. It's so well done.

Leveling up your pods is so fucking painful. Fuck these materials.

Once you are on route C you can buy every material except the power up part. I got them from levels 2, 1, and 1 to all 4 in 5 minutes

Edit: if simple gadgets are on the pod upgrades you have to farm those, but those are also super easy to get if you wiki the scanner locations

Astral

Once you are on route C you can buy every material except the power up part. I got them from levels 2, 1, and 1 to all 4 in 5 minutes

From what I can tell you can't buy mushrooms, pure water, or simple gadgets. Those are the only ones I need right now. I'm missing just one and I got all the ones from the scanner spots.

From what I can tell you can't buy mushrooms, pure water, or simple gadgets. Those are the only ones I need right now. I'm missing just one and I got all the ones from the scanner spots.

I don't remember which store, but you can definitely buy those. These 4 stores sell every ingredient except power up parts and simple gadgets once you finish ending e

These are spoilered for a reason people
Amusement Park bot
Emil (when he has weapons he also sells rare materials)
Emil (when he isn't selling weapons or chips he had medium grade materials)
Pascal post memory wipe

idk it's pretty short and easy to rush through anyway, and fits well with the structure of the first game

I wouldn't mind replaying it if the combat wasn't so limited compared to route A.

More limited combat than A + repeating alot of the stuff from A = not a fan. Hacking also got boring fast but I had to do so much of it because it did ridiculous damage compared to the melee combos, especially on bosses.

Worse, I didn't want to skip cutscenes because I'm not sure if there would be changes to them or not.

J_Viper

Around what area underground? There are a few secret areas in the game.

In the first main hub of the game, there are some red dots that seem to be underneath the map, but I haven't any way to access that portion of the map.

My side-content OCD is going to drive me nuts if I can't get to them.

You're a "horrible, sexist piece of shit" because you noticed an ass? What? Lol

Finished the game. Absolutely incredible.

The biggest problem with it is it's impossible to experience this game for the first time again. Masterpiece.

Finished the game. Absolutely incredible.

The biggest problem with it is it's impossible to experience this game for the first time again. Masterpiece.

I suspect it will be just as good or better the second time around, now that all the character interactions have the additional depth that you were originally unaware of.

I'm anxious to get to it, but I have one thing to do before I can.

What's the branching like in this game? I keep hesitating and every moment thinking my actions might have a major effect on the story overtly. I know there are different endings (and the playthroughs are very different and essential for a full understanding) but to what extent do my little actions affect the outcome of the game? The main endings seem to occur linearly. Is that hardcoded into the progression of the game or is that just because certain things are less obvious the first time around? Maybe not knowing is part of the fun (in which case, I'll stay ignorant) but it's kind of giving me constant anxiety as I second guess the tiniest things. Hahahahaha

What's the branching like in this game? I keep hesitating and every moment thinking my actions might have a major effect on the story overtly. I know there are different endings (and the playthroughs are very different and essential for a full understanding) but to what extent do my little actions affect the outcome of the game? Maybe not knowing is part of the fun (in which case, I'll stay ignorant) but it's kind of giving me constant anxiety as I second guess the tiniest things. Hahahahaha

Don't think of the endings as things that happen as a result of the players actions/agency.

Think of the different routes/endings as parts. The first ending is more like the end to part 1, the second ending, part 2 and so on.

Yeah, I think the best way to think of this as being independent "chapters" or "episodes" in a book/tv series. "ending" is a bit of a misnomer here.

Mailbox

What's the branching like in this game? I keep hesitating and every moment thinking my actions might have a major effect on the story overtly. I know there are different endings (and the playthroughs are very different and essential for a full understanding) but to what extent do my little actions affect the outcome of the game? The main endings seem to occur linearly. Is that hardcoded into the progression of the game or is that just because certain things are less obvious the first time around? Maybe not knowing is part of the fun (in which case, I'll stay ignorant) but it's kind of giving me constant anxiety as I second guess the tiniest things. Hahahahaha

Think of endings A and B as ends to arcs or acts. You go from Route A to Route B to Route C one after the other. C & D are
based on a choice in route C
and E follows those 2 endings.

Basically its like this:

A->B->C&D->E

There are also 21 Joke "bad endings" to get that are sprinkled about. Those are just if you do something dumb while playing or something special happens.

Astral

I can't believe something like Reconnaissance Squad is a quest. I'm stuck on 89% unit data and can't get some of the more rare ones to spawn. This isn't fun.

OniBaka

I can't believe something like Reconnaissance Squad is a quest. I'm stuck on 89% unit data and can't get some of the more rare ones to spawn. This isn't fun.
Could always skip it, it's not that important other than the song that plays at the end.

Top Bottom