• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Great games that you no longer consider fun to play

Almost every classic PS1 game outside of Castlevania: SOTN.

Still got a lot of love for stuff like Final Fantasy 7, Metal Gear Solid, Silent Hill, Resident Evil, etc...but, I'm not sure I'll ever play them again.

SotN holds up best. Crash Trilogy is still great. Spyro Trilogy is good. The biggest let downs for the PS1 for me is FFVII and Silent Hill. Ive tried to revisit both and they are rough.

Ridge Racer R4, JetMoto and Cool Boarders held up well enough too.

PS1 Classics (3d in particular) are pretty hard for me to have fun with but they arent ALL bad.

The game that hurts the most for me is Quake II. I had so much fun with it but its a chore to revisit.

Nairume

Banned
Goldeneye's control issues aren't so bad when you switch to the control scheme that has you using the d-pad for movement and the stick for viewing.

Old arcade 2D beat-em ups are pretty garbage nowadays. I use to think they were really fun back in the day, but now they come off as incredibly shallow, inaccurate button mashers
It depends on who was making it, honestly.

I've found that Konami's brawlers specifically really are mechancially shallow and brutally cheap games that basically relied on their licensing to really make a mark on people. It's a good reason why nobody remembers the times Konami actually made some that weren't based on a licensed property.

Capcom's brawlers, on the other hand, stand on their own as legitimately good games that are typically fair in difficulty, relatively deep for the genre, and genuinely fun.

The game that hurts the most for me is Quake II. I had so much fun with it but its a chore to revisit.

It absolutely is not. Plays better than pretty much every FPS in the last 7 years which are controller designed. The movement, speed, precision, weaponry - all fantastic. What exactly are the things you believe are chores ?

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Rogue Squadron 2: Rogue Leader. After playing a ton of Ace Combat I just can't go back.

Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3. Ironically MGS1 is so simple that it still ends up being very playable, but the layers added to the systems and controls in 2 and 3 that made them very impressive for their time just make them more of a slog to play through.

I would say OoT as well, but I don't know how qualified I am to make that claim. Played through the young Link parts as a child and only played through it fully in 2011 or so and found most of the game to be an exercise in aggravation.

Wing Commander. Two reasons:

1) It's damned near impossible to get the thing running well on modern systems. Because the game speed is tied to CPU speed, and because for some reason game performance varies wildly depending on how complex the scene is (number of ships, debris, etc.), you can't really pick one emulation speed in Dosbox and stick with it; for best results you'll need to manually speed up or slow down the CPU emulation. Even if you do this, you will inevitably end up with spots where the game crawls despite you having a computer hundreds of times more powerful than the 286 the game was designed to run on, and spots where the game flies past at 2x or 3x speed because of how fast your CPU renders the scene.

2) Even if that wasn't a problem, there's a fundamental design choice that makes the game very difficult: collisions with other ships damage you quite a bit, and will often kill you outright if you've sustained any amount of damage. That in itself wouldn't be awful, but then you combine that with the game's use of sprites in a 3D environment. Enemy ships are represented not with a 3D model, but with a sprite showing an approximate orientation of the ship. But the hitbox of the ship is actually much larger, basically taking up the entire rectangle of the sprite, regardless of whether there's empty space or pixels that represent a ship. This means you could be flying into what you think is empty space, but if you clip the hitbox of another ship, *boom* you get to start again from your last save. In a game that often involves close-quarters dogfighting, this extremely aggressive collision penalty feels way too harsh. When I played Wing Commander a year or two ago, I probably died from random collisions an order of magnitude more often than from getting shot down.

There are a lot of games that haven't aged well, or that I find hard to get into now. Oni has shitty checkpoints, No One Lives Forever has shitty stealth, etc. But Wing Commander is the closest to something that's actually unplayable unless you have an old 286 with a Sound Blaster card and DOS 5.1 or whatever, and then is also very difficult to play because of a design decision combined with a technical limitation of the game engine.

Was part of the Minecraft beta and had fun. Now I just can't get into it at all. I know that some really enjoy it and I'm glad they do! But I just can't do it again!

Original Mario Kart

I just cant handle driving around with those mode 7 effects. Even back when I played it it didn't feel right. Wasn't until 64 that I really got into MK.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I played the PS1 version of this a few years ago as well, and again, other than the long loading times before each battle, I found the game to be a lot of fun
Such a crime, that the Steam release still has the load times.
Wing Commander. Two reasons:

1) It's damned near impossible to get the thing running well on modern systems. Because the game speed is tied to CPU speed, and because for some reason game performance varies wildly depending on how complex the scene is (number of ships, debris, etc.), you can't really pick one emulation speed in Dosbox and stick with it; for best results you'll need to manually speed up or slow down the CPU emulation. Even if you do this, you will inevitably end up with spots where the game crawls despite you having a computer hundreds of times more powerful than the 286 the game was designed to run on, and spots where the game flies past at 2x or 3x speed because of how fast your CPU renders the scene.

2) Even if that wasn't a problem, there's a fundamental design choice that makes the game very difficult: collisions with other ships damage you quite a bit, and will often kill you outright if you've sustained any amount of damage. That in itself wouldn't be awful, but then you combine that with the game's use of sprites in a 3D environment. Enemy ships are represented not with a 3D model, but with a sprite showing an approximate orientation of the ship. But the hitbox of the ship is actually much larger, basically taking up the entire rectangle of the sprite, regardless of whether there's empty space or pixels that represent a ship. This means you could be flying into what you think is empty space, but if you clip the hitbox of another ship, *boom* you get to start again from your last save. In a game that often involves close-quarters dogfighting, this extremely aggressive collision penalty feels way too harsh. When I played Wing Commander a year or two ago, I probably died from random collisions an order of magnitude more often than from getting shot down.

GOG release?

GamerJM

Banned
I'm of the opinion that there aren't any, in a couple ways.

For one, to me if a game isn't "fun to play," then it isn't good, unless it isn't intentionally "fun," like Spec Ops or something (and even then I'd say it's a little fun in the sense that I'm sitting down and experiencing a game that I derive entertainment from instead of doing work). "Good for its time," be damned, you shouldn't take into account historical context when evaluating how good a game is imo. Then you're not really evaluating how good it is, you're evaluating it on some arbitrary criteria based on an approximation of what people would have thought of it on release day. It's how we get top 100 lists of all time with weird placements like Pong and Super Mario Bros. near the top even though most people wouldn't really want to play those games over Mario 3/World or a modern Table Tennis game today.

But also, games don't really significantly age to me. I'm good at compartmentalizing games, so if there's a game that has a sequel that just improved on it in every way or something, it's easy for me to just kind of temporarily forget about the existence of that game, or at least not have it come up in my head much. I'm also of the opinion that a few of games that have supposedly "aged," weren't really good in the first place (for example, Resident Evil 1-3 tank controls and awkward camera angles were never really acceptable for me, and even though I didn't play them at release I can't imagine that they would have been, considering the fact that I don't really think it was unacceptable from modern advancements, since I can't imagine ever enjoying a game with movement that awkward, and I have experienced much better 3D controlling games from that era anyways).

Also, after reading through this topic....some of you are brutal in regards to what hasn't aged well. Most of the N64/PS1 libraries, really? I consider myself lucky with the aforementioned compartmentalization I'm able to do, because I cannot fathom having to write off huge swaths of gaming history because I played some newer games that made it feel obsolete.

Tizocc

Neo Member
TES: Oblivion for sure. Loved it back then but Skyrim is clearly the better game imo even tho I didn't spend as much time with it. Funny enough I had no problems going back to Morrorwind.

Same with me.Put in lots of hours into Oblivion.Bought Skyrim years ago and I just get bored whenever I play.Still havent finished it to this day. I think Im just over bethesda rpgs in general.I have no interest in FO4 either.

every great game. Being depressed I can still tell when a game is great but theres no chemical reaction, only a purely analytical appreciation.

i don't own them but interested to buy both after i cleared some backlog, i plan to play Nier first and then Horizon ZD

read your post make me want to switch the plan, i'm just wondering how much people out there that feel the same with you ?

Seen a few posts here and there in the Nier threads saying along the same lines plus a buddy of mine felt the same way. Personally, I really really recommend playing Horizon first then Nier. Nier just does a lot of things much more smoothly than Horizon and because of that, it kinda lessened my enjoyment of the game.

Horizon however is still a solid enough game but Nier Automata just left a much more heavier impression on me.

Opa-Pa

I just remembered one: The original Devil May Cry.

My first contact with the series was DMC3, which I thought was crazy good, but at the time I sucked at it so I never got too far. Later on I beat games like Bayonetta 1 and 2, Metal Gear Rising, etc, but never went back to DMC.

Two years ago I finally played the first one thanks to the HD collection and oh boy. I'm sure it was incredible at the time, and I'm thankful it basically created one of my favorite (sub?) genres in gamin, but man, finishing this game was tough, and I'm not talking difficulty. I'm actually impressed they managed to make a relatively fast paced action game with controls this clunky, it's fascinating.

It was an enlightening experience for sure, I love exploring games that were impactful for the medium (for better or worse), and I loved the style and the cheese, but I definitely don't plan to ever playing this again. It's kind of a shame, but that's how genres work, I guess.

Top Bottom