• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Snake Pass |OT| Snake Had A Hard Life

FelipeMGM

Q8V0WP4.jpg

For those that are interested in file size.

huh, mine is downloading rn and its only 1,669GB on PS4.

I wonder why

Experien

Missing time trial mode is no biggie for me on the switch, especially when the devs talk about how they wanted a slow-paced, relaxed puzzle game. Time Trial feels almost like the opposite of the original idea.

Murugo

Watching some direct feed gameplay videos from the Switch version. The framerate in docked mode looks... acceptable? It would have been fun to play this in handheld mode, but I think I'm sticking with a Steam purchase.

This game is so wonderful. Here's a 20+ minute let's play with commentary from the game's lead dev that we recorded at IGN last week. It's a really mesmerizing game to look at and play and hearing about how the game came together was fascinating:

https://youtu.be/GhySlyWn-0o

Wow I want both to succeed but this looks like a better game on every level than Yooka Laylee to me. Great video.

Guess we won't know until reviews though. Looks like Yooka might be the bigger experience?

Wok

2GB, too. "3GB" is a typo; AMD didn't start offering 3GB SKUs until the 7900 series.

So... what if I have an AMD Radeon HD 7770 with 1 GB VRAM? I am screwed, right?

It is disappointing, because my CPU is still way better than the minimal specs.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So... what if I have an AMD Radeon HD 7770 with 1 GB VRAM? I am screwed, right?

The HD 7770 and GTX 560 are quite similar in terms of power, but, yeah, you may finding yourself battling with the low VRAM ceiling.

Ridley327

Wow I want both to succeed but this looks like a better game on every level than Yooka Laylee to me. Great video.

Guess we won't know until reviews though. Looks like Yooka might be the bigger experience?

Folks from Sumo already said that this is about 10 hours long if you try to find everything, so I'm not sure it's even a question as to which is the beefier title. That being said, I'm all for shorter experiences if they use their time well, and I think at $20, that seems like a solid playtime.

Maxrunner

I would hazard to guess it would have something to do with leaderboards and getting those working because local time trials themselves should be trivial to implement. It's only when you integrate them with online leaderboard that time trials are liable to present any unique difficulties.

Fast Racing Neo also skipped it's time trial mode on the Switch. Are there any Switch games out right now with a time trial like feature?

Fast will have an update to add those.

Geg

That is a damn good OT title.

Even though it's just a cheap digital title I've spent so much money on games recently that I need to hold off for a little while. I'll probably eventually get it on the switch unless there's something very wrong with it, then I'll just get it on PS4

Wok

The HD 7770 and GTX 560 are quite similar in terms of power, but, yeah, you may finding yourself battling with the low VRAM ceiling.

I have been considering upgrading the GPU to an Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 3GB (~235€) or 6GB (~290€). I'm afraid the CPU will just throttle the GPU and I would not get my money worth.

Would you say it would be worth it to upgrade to the 3GB version, given that my CPU is an Intel Pentium G2020?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I have been considering upgrading the GPU to an Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 3GB (~235€) or 6GB (~290€). I'm afraid the CPU will just throttle the GPU and I would not get my money worth.

Would you say it would be worth it to upgrade to the 3GB version, given that my CPU is an Intel Pentium G2020?

I'd recommend waiting for the 4c/8t Ryzen SKUs to release and upgrading both. Dual cores don't really cut it anymore -- the G2020 is comparable to the positively ancient Core2Duo E8400. I'm not sure what AMD's lower-end pricing will be, but I'd imagine you could slap together a 1060/480/580, 4c/8t Ryzen CPU, entry-level motherboard and 8GB DDR4 for somewhere between €500 and €600.

Jamesac68

Banned
Played the PAX East level and it's on my insta-buy list. It's got one of those control schemes that takes getting used to but has a million subtle options once you start realizing how it all fits together. Slither left/right for extra speed, raise and lower the snake's head to wrap around vertical bars, tighten the grip with brief touches to hold on securely, etc. I got all but one gold coin in the demo, which seems like you needed ninja control and a jump to get, and I hadn't quite gotten that level of mastery in 15 minutes of play.

Tomorrow, though, I'll be all over it. :)

Picking this up on Switch. I know it's 30fps but sacrifices will have to be made for most games on Switch and it seems like this was a real solid effort, in limited time, for the Switch port and it seems like a perfect game to get for a portable. Not sure I care much about Time Trial mode, but still hope they patch it in.

Interested in picking this up on Switch despite having a PS4 Pro. Like others said it just seems to fit the system, and it'd be nice to have something after I finish Zelda.

On the other hand, though...60 fps sounds nice.

This is the first game I've ever digitally pre-ordered, there's your pointless fact for the day to tell your friends, or not.

Anywho can't wait, tactical slithering action to the tunes of Wise, ssssssplendid.

ultrazilla

I'm sorry I just woke up from a nap. Has a frame-rate been mentioned for the Switch version of Snake Pass? Hopefully at least 30fps locked?

I feel that it's worth noting that the Switch version is running at half the frame rate and doesn't feature the time trial mode.

Unless you're absolutely after portability, it's the worst version of the game by far. Would have been better to mention that in the OP, really.

Good to know thanks.

Demption

Gamexplains video really seems washed out compared to IGN's video. I'd love to play this in handheld on Switch but Xbone version looks much more brighter.

My worry in just watching videos is if how (relatively by platformer standards) slowly the snake moves will eventually cause the gameplay to feel tedious.

Top Bottom