• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT+5| Grant Us Eyes!

Melchiah

Are upgrade materials limited? Or can you farm/buy?

You can find and buy them. Here's a link for the early game locations: http://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Blood+Stone+Shard
Later on you can find Twin Blood Stone Shards, Blood Stone Chunks, and a Blood Rock, to upgrade the weapons further.

EDIT: Blood Rocks are limited. You can find one in the main game, one in the DLC, and some in the chalice dungeons. It can be bought with 60 Insight as well.

Yes so that means..upgrade everythinggggggg

Once you get to +6, it starts get grindy to find the chunks to upgrade multiple weapons further. I've done everything aside from the final boss and DLC, and I have enough to bring:
1 weapon to max (+10)
1 to +8
2 to +7

I'm one chunk short of getting my +8 to +9.

So yeah, you can upgrade a lot of things, but you're not gonna be able to fully upgrade many things in one playthrough without grinding or buying them, especially if you're planning on spreading your resources thin by upgrading multiple weapons.

Sarcasm

Once you get to +6, it starts get grindy to find the chunks to upgrade multiple weapons further. I've done everything aside from the final boss and DLC, and I have enough to bring:
1 weapon to max (+10)
1 to +8
2 to +7

I'm one chunk short of getting my +8 to +9.

So yeah, you can upgrade a lot of things, but you're not gonna be able to fully upgrade many things in one playthrough without grinding or buying them, especially if you're planning on spreading your resources thin by upgrading multiple weapons.

Well.. I mean I won't upgrade EVERYTHING. Not to max definitely. But I won't sit there with a +0 forever lol.

Well.. I mean I won't upgrade EVERYTHING. Not to max definitely. But I won't sit there with a +0 forever lol.

B-but you said everything...

But yeah, you'll get like 95% of your chunks in the final area, so don't worry if you're nearing the end of the game and still only have a +7 weapon.

You need 16 of the 3 blood materials, so shards, twin shards, and chunks, to fully upgrade a weapon, then one rock to go from +9 to +10. You'll be able to get quite a few things to +6, but I'd try to narrow your selection down from that point, although that's bound to happen naturally.

Are upgrade materials limited? Or can you farm/buy?

Things I am having trouble adjusting to...

The FPS! And controls. Even though they aren't new to me.

You can upgrade every weapon to +10.

Shards are farmable in Yharnam City.
Twin Shards are farmable in Forbidden Woods.
Chunks are farmable in Cathedral Ward.
Rocks can be bought for 60 Insight and Insight is farmable:
- in Cathedral Ward (slugs)
- in Root Chalice Dungeons

It will take a long-ass time to get 30 Rocks, though.

h0tp0ck3t

You can upgrade every weapon to +10.

Shards are farmable in Yharnam City.
Twin Shards are farmable in Forbidden Woods.
Chunks are farmable in Cathedral Ward.
Rocks can be bought for 60 Insight and Insight is farmable:
- in Cathedral Ward (slugs)
- in Root Chalice Dungeons

It will take a long-ass time to get 30 Rocks, though.

I always wondered that. you just remove the chalice and remake the same one and just fight the same bosses?

I've beaten DS 2, 3 and Nioh.

I'm finding the opening to this game to be incredibly frustrating.

The combat and general poor engine performance are making it seem very difficult. Can't make it much past the first 10 minutes. Spent almost 3 hours getting nowhere.

Might return it tomorrow, have a baby on the way at the weekend and don't have time to run through an area over and over and over.

:(

Sarcasm

The combat and general poor engine performance are making it seem very difficult. Can't make it much past the first 10 minutes. Spent almost 3 hours getting nowhere.

Might return it tomorrow, have a baby on the way at the weekend and don't have time to run through an area over and over and over.

The performance really kills the combat. I suggest trying the faster weapon.

Though I found when using the axe that light attack x2 and than switch does a ton of damage.

But dodging sucks with the drops in performance.

Syntsui

Unfortunately, coming from NiOh, the performance in this game really kills any enjoyment you can possibly have (as far as gameplay goes, this game is much better in every single other regard). I had a blast and thoroughly finished it before NiOh was even created, but holy shit am I having a hard time coming back to it right now.

All things considered, you will eventually get used to bad performance and overall clunkier gameplay. The beginning is one of the most brutal and unforgiving experiences any game has ever offered, but believe me when I say things will get much much worse as far as raw difficulty goes lol. It doesn't matter how broken you are, there are some specific areas I'm legit afraid to revisit because of how oppressive the ambient is and how ruthless the enemies are. This is where the game shines the most though, it's all about the oppressive atmosphere and nightmare inducing monster trying their best to murder you.

I found Nioh being clunkly compared to BB, the combat is more aggresive oriented than Nioh or Souls so dont be afraid and keep attacking

Pixieking

Banned
I found Nioh being clunkly compared to BB, the combat is more aggresive oriented than Nioh or Souls so dont be afraid and keep attacking

*nods* Yeah, agree totally here. BB rewards taking risks far far more than Nioh, especially with the Rally system. The only thing you've got be careful of in BB is being over-run by multiple enemies - if this happens, don't be afraid to fall-back to a choke point to try to take them out one-by-one.

Sarcasm

That isn't what I mean by clunky.

I am talking about the performance of the game affecting the combat. I mean even panning the camera the fps drops.

Has nothing to do with which one is more aggressive.

Really jarring for me coming from pc gaming.

I played Noih but it was okay.

BHK3

Banned
That isn't what I mean by clunky.

I am talking about the performance of the game affecting the combat. I mean even panning the camera the fps drops.

Has nothing to do with which one is more aggressive.

Really jarring for me coming from pc gaming.

I played Noih but it was okay.

Playing it on the Pro with Boost mode made the Pro worth the purchase for me. I can't recall ANY fps drops, outside the inherent stutters which you learn to live with. All the souls sorta run like shit and the gaming outlets never made a single article that wasn't absolute praise so their content with their janky engine.

Sarcasm

Yeah considering the ps4 was free I ain't about to buy one. Just have to get use to this but it has made me not play as much as I did with the other souls games. Sinking hours in one session was the usual case.

Just use to steady 60 or higher. Even ds3 runs higher than 60 on my six plus year old pc.

Noih runs better but I still notice things.

Pixieking

Banned
Ohhh, that's weird. I noticed fps drops later in game (the larger bosses), but generally it didn't phase me. *shrugs* One of those things which I can just ignore (and, yes, I've got a gaming PC. :p ).

Thanks everyone.

I'm going to restart the game tonight and take a more methodical approach, I felt like I was pushing too hard yesterday (not having got a handle on the movement etc.).

I find dodging very awkward, always end up rolling away instead half the time which puts me out of range.

Sarcasm

Thanks everyone.

I'm going to restart the game tonight and take a more methodical approach, I felt like I was pushing too hard yesterday (not having got a handle on the movement etc.).

I find dodging very awkward, always end up rolling away instead half the time which puts me out of range.

I got this from my other game playing, but rolling to the side is best. But yea have to time it well if they do horizontal moves.

Kept getting slaughtered by those werewolves on the bridge. Tried pebbles to seperate one and fight it 1v1, but they both came rushing at me. But found a way around the werewolves, and found the Saw Spear in the sewers. Tonight I'm going to cross the bridge and find out what's on the other side. Found a Madmans Knowledge as well, so now I can use the doll to use my Blood Echoes. Also upgraded my Hunters Axe to a +1. I'm starting to get the hang of things.

And the performance doesn't bother me at all. I'm too busy looking around every corner to see if there is something lurking in the shadows. Had a guy jump at me when I wasn't expecting it and it made me flinch lol.

That bridge part is the bit I can't get past, I didn't realise there was another route?
There's 3 or 4 ways off/on the bridge with the two werewolves. Explore more!

An easy (cheesy) way to deal with the werewolves early on is to take them down the stairs to the dark house they can't pass through the doorway so you can just hit them from inside. They very quickly become not a problem at all though. They're also susceptible to visceral attacks - backstabs and gunshot parries.

Melchiah

I had only played Demon's Souls up until the Red-eyed Knight before BB, and while the beginning was extremely challenging, it wasn't that difficult for me. Eventhough I used the Threaded Cane, which isn't as powerful early on as something like the Hunter Axe.

I found DS3's High Wall of Lotric, and the combat in general, actually harder for three reasons; the limited amount of Estus Flasks in the beginning, the different parrying mechanic, and possibly because I went with strength build instead of dexterity like in BB.

Never had any issues with framerate or frame-pacing either. The only place where the former was noticeable for me, was the beginning of Old Yharnam.

That bridge part is the bit I can't get past, I didn't realise there was another route?

Just after the bonfire in Central Yarnham where there are the 15+ Yarnhamites around it go through the archway to the left of the massive gate and through into the next area where you have the Brick Troll bashing on the door and a tree in the centre of the little plaza. As soon as you get through the archway ahead of you there should be a bunch of coffins stacked against the rails on the left. Smash these coffins and there will be a gap in the railing - jump down (there may be a loose dog down there so watch out). Run around the corner to the left, follow that path straight along until you get into a a dark room (watch out for two Yarnhamites on the ground floor and two on the upper floor), but before you explore in there go out through the exit on the other side of the room and up the staircase immediately ahead of you. There's another mob guy up there, and then up the other stairs past him you will come to a locked gate which you should open - this unlocks a shortcut back to the Central Yarnham lamp. Anyway, from here go back down to the dark room (take out the mob if you haven't already) and then on the second floor you have a door out and another staircase upwards (watch out for the Yarnhamite at the top of the steps), and from there if you head left you will come to a Brick Troll + 3-4 crows, and then past that is the first boss area. Once you first encounter the boss you can then grind Blood Echoes from dead enemies and use them to level up with the doll in Hunter's Dream.

Jobbs

Banned
Dark Souls 3 pro support transformatively improved the game which just makes me want Bloodborne support even more. I wonder if it'll ever happen.

Sarcasm

I don't know what build I am doing to do, but I am getting both hp and end to the soft cap first.

Got saw blade and upgraded to 5 and first attempt the cleric beast.

Any suggestions?

is there any point in getting my gun to +9 if i don't have any points invested in arcane? it seems like blood stone chunks are way too scarce. i can understand limiting the weapons you can get to +10, but +9 weapons shouldn't be this limited. i've gotten every chunk in the main game and i feel like i'm missing out on even trying the majority of weapons. 20 insight for each additional one seems ridiculous. i guess i could do the save thing to test them out and then revert it, but that seems like a pain in the ass.

Milijango

is there any point in getting my gun to +9 if i don't have any points invested in arcane? it seems like blood stone chunks are way too scarce. i can understand limiting the weapons you can get to +10, but +9 weapons shouldn't be this limited. i've gotten every chunk in the main game and i feel like i'm missing out on even trying the majority of weapons. 20 insight for each additional one seems ridiculous. i guess i could do the save thing to test them out and then revert it, but that seems like a pain in the ass.

*Gun damage is tied to bloodtinge. Arcane is used for magic weapons and spells. And no, they're not worth upgrading without stat investment. You can basically leave them at +6.

are there any easily attainable weapons in the DLC for a lower level player. maybe something close to the starting area of the hunters nightmare?

Just after the bonfire in Central Yarnham where there are the 15+ Yarnhamites around it go through the archway to the left of the massive gate and through into the next area where you have the Brick Troll bashing on the door and a tree in the centre of the little plaza. As soon as you get through the archway ahead of you there should be a bunch of coffins stacked against the rails on the left. Smash these coffins and there will be a gap in the railing - jump down (there may be a loose dog down there so watch out). Run around the corner to the left, follow that path straight along until you get into a a dark room (watch out for two Yarnhamites on the ground floor and two on the upper floor), but before you explore in there go out through the exit on the other side of the room and up the staircase immediately ahead of you. There's another mob guy up there, and then up the other stairs past him you will come to a locked gate which you should open - this unlocks a shortcut back to the Central Yarnham lamp. Anyway, from here go back down to the dark room (take out the mob if you haven't already) and then on the second floor you have a door out and another staircase upwards (watch out for the Yarnhamite at the top of the steps), and from there if you head left you will come to a Brick Troll + 3-4 crows, and then past that is the first boss area. Once you first encounter the boss you can then grind Blood Echoes from dead enemies and use them to level up with the doll in Hunter's Dream.

Thanks for the walkthrough. I found that gap accidentally not long after I posted.

Was able to beat Father Gascoigne as well after 10+ hopeless attempts.

Realised that like DS, it's sometimes better to roll into an attack.

Thanks to everyone else who commented as well.

I do find the lack of lamps disconcerting, feel like I'm about to lose it all at certain points.

Milijango

What do you mean? I now have 15 in VIt & END.

He is already dead! XD

are there any easily attainable weapons in the DLC for a lower level player. maybe something close to the starting area of the hunters nightmare?

Weapons in the first area of the DLC:
  • Beast Cutter
  • Beasthunter Saif
  • Boom Hammer
  • Simon's Bowblade
  • Amygdalan Arm
  • Whirligig Saw

Most of them will require suicide runs, with the Beast Cutter being the easiest.

jviggy43

What do you mean? I now have 15 in VIt & END.

He is already dead! XD

Endurance is very generous in this game. You shouldn't have to spend very much on it, especially early game over whatever build youre going for (Str,Skill, Arc,Blood tinge, etc...).

Sarcasm

Endurance is very generous in this game. You shouldn't have to spend very much on it, especially early game over whatever build youre going for (Str,Skill, Arc,Blood tinge, etc...).

really, I found it somewhat limited. Not much. But I couldn't do more than 4 attacks And dodge at same time. Now I can. Now I can attack twice, dodge, and attack again.

Can't you respec in this game anyways?

jviggy43

really, I found it somewhat limited. Not much. But I couldn't do more than 4 attacks And dodge at same time. Now I can. Now I can attack twice, dodge, and attack again.

Can't you respec in this game anyways?

You cannot. If its early game you probably haven't made any decisions to push you too far in a direction you'll regret. But relatively speaking compared to the other souls' games, endurance is crazy generous in this game. End is something you probably don't need much more than 20 levels in.

Sarcasm

Well pretty moot point as every stat has a cap (diminishing returns). Not like I am going to do STR and DEX together.

Pretty sure caps are at 40. With VIT and END having worse diminishing returns.

I am pretty sure for what I am doing its either going to be:

STR OR DEX 40
VIT 25
END 25

this should put me @ lvl 65. What is the meta level for BB? Doesn't matter anyways as I don't have plus. I could even have both DEX & STR @ 40 and be under level 100.

Or I can't treat this like souls?

jviggy43

Well pretty moot point as every stat has a cap (diminishing returns). Not like I am going to do STR and DEX together.

Pretty sure caps are at 40. With VIT and END having worse diminishing returns.

I am pretty sure for what I am doing its either going to be:

STR OR DEX 40
VIT 25
END 25

this should put me @ lvl 65. What is the meta level for BB? Doesn't matter anyways as I don't have plus. I could even have both DEX & STR @ 40 and be under level 100.

Or I can't treat this like souls?

120 is the PvP cap. You can also use runes later on to enhance your Vit and End by a fairly large margin so dumping points into them isn't preferable if youre trying to cap at the meta. That way you can go full tilt into whatever build youre running while not having much of a drop off in HP and Stamina.

Sarcasm

Well too late. Don't know why they took out respecs from DS2. Than added back in DS3.

What should I do? Start over?

I don't know if I want STR or DEX.

But if I wasted like 8 points and its soo worth it to keep that small stam pool at the start, maybe start over is worth it. I only made it to the second boss.

I'm having trouble beating the blood starved beast, but now realise having some fire paper his last stage will help a lot.

Are they farmable in Old Yharnam?

Sarcasm

Man the fucking camera and getting stuck in tombstones is beginning to piss me off.

So I have been fighting:

1) Performance
2) Camera
3) Getting stuck in the terrain

I always get the dude to beast form and literally down an inch of his life.

Than I get stuck.

Than I lose lock on even though he is still in my FOV. Than performance hits me so dude gets a free hit. Except free hit usually means you get combo'd cause your dude stays on the ground and getting up animation like a grandma.

I'm having trouble beating the blood starved beast, but now realise having some fire paper his last stage will help a lot.

Are they farmable in Old Yharnam?
Not farmable iirc, you can buy them from the shop almost as soon as you've done this boss though.

You can try using pungent blood cocktails with this boss which work like alluring skulls in Dark Souls. Also Alfred can be summoned from outside the boss room (side of the steps leading down). He's pretty useless though.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Man the fucking camera and getting stuck in tombstones is beginning to piss me off.

So I have been fighting:

1) Performance
2) Camera
3) Getting stuck in the terrain

I always get the dude to beast form and literally down an inch of his life.

Than I get stuck.

Than I lose lock on even though he is still in my FOV. Than performance hits me so dude gets a free hit. Except free hit usually means you get combo'd cause your dude stays on the ground and getting up animation like a grandma.

fighting gascoigne down at the tombstones is a pain. just run up the stairs and he'll follow you. performance is a bit rough at first but gets better. i feel the first area is the worst place for it. you're finished with it now if you're fighting gascoigne. camera only bothered me for a couple bosses.

hint for gascoigne
use the music box

Top Bottom