• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Still mad that they don't allow you to stable an undead horse.

After 105 hours, I finally did one of the divine beasts today and have made some story progress. I did 92 or so shrines and 210 Korok seeds before going down the main path.

Wow.

The problem with this approach is that you have now basically removed all challenge from the rest of the game. That, in general, is one of this game's only big issues. The difficulty curve is upside-down. Really challenging in the beginning, when you are weak and can easily be one-shotted, but then only gets easier and easier. By doing so many shrines before tackling the main objectives, and (I assume) getting a boatload of hearts, nothing is gonna prove challenging for you now.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Wow.

The problem with this approach is that you have now basically removed all challenge from the rest of the game. That, in general, is one of this game's only big issues. The difficulty curve is upside-down. Really challenging in the beginning, when you are weak and can easily be one-shotted, but then only gets easier and easier. By doing so many shrines before tackling the main objectives, and (I assume) getting a boatload of hearts, nothing is gonna prove challenging for you now.

The difficulty curve is absolutely whack in BotW. It's not even a curve, it's like a ┐shape. If you do not have enough hearts to avoid one-hit kills, the game is really difficult. If you have enough hearts to avoid one-hit kills, the game is trivial thanks to powerful and easily acquirable healing items that can be taken from an unlimited inventory with no penalties. You can almost feel the point in the game where it goes from crazy to nothing. One of my biggest disappointments is that the sense of risk, the effort that went into planning, the crafting of taking on difficult enemies, everything that made the Great Plateau so fun, is just gone so quickly.

Weapons not scaling as fast as armour is a big problem, as well. Even if you got rid of healing from inventory, the number of mistakes you make (number of times you can get hit) is (4*total hearts)/(enemy base damage + weapon damage - armour defence). By end game, you have 27 hearts, or 9 times as much as you did early on. But enemy base damage isn't 9 times higher - Silver Bokoblins have 6 times the base damage of Red Bokoblins. And weapon damage isn't 9 times higher - a Dragonbone Boko Club has 6 times the damage of a Boko Club. And armour defence is much more than 9 times higher - fully upgraded Ancient Armour is 28(!!) times better than the Old Shirt.

This is also totally ignoring the fact Mipha's Grace means your hearts are functionally (2x + 5) where x is the amount of hearts it actually looks like you have. Incredibly broken.

So the game goes from quick combat where either you or the monster will be dead in one or two mistakes to slow, tanky combat where you and a Silver Bokoblin whale on each other and you especially are at no risk of death.

Twookie

yup, scaling in botw is pretty bad. WHICH is why I am excited for the hard mode dlc, will be fun to play through the game again on hard mode

I wish the hard mode were out on release or at least out sooner :/

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
That Leviathan bones pictures quest proved to be damn rewarding in the end since it made me go in the areas I haven't explored yet. A
shrine
and a
great fairy
under the Gerudo
great skeleton
. Damn nice. Now to gather some rupees.

More hint asking from me:

Can someone very vaguely push me in the right direction for how to get the secret password for the shop in Gerudo Town? I surely don't just have to guess right?

Golnei

More hint asking from me:

Can someone very vaguely push me in the right direction for how to get the secret password for the shop in Gerudo Town? I surely don't just have to guess right?

Is there anywhere nearby you might be able to listen in on a conversation that you wouldn't be allowed to participate in otherwise?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Wow.

Your skill also goes up. I had lots of hearts and strong armour when I fought a castle full of guardians and also a couple of lynels (that I had acoided up to then). But I found myself not particularly needing hearts or armour - parrying finally clicked and I found a nice rhythm with the lynels. Ended up only needing probably half my hearts just to protect against an accidental loss of concentration.

Might even try a three heart run :)

Futureman

I just thought of something... I want the Korok noise when you find them to be my text message notification sound.

Also Hestu's song when you upgrade inventory slots as ringtone.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I've feel like the game naturally should have two more stables then it does: one in Hyrule field and one in east Necluda. Though there are stable ruins in both sections so perhaps that's the point.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
When you reach that corner, you're prepared to meet Ganon, which is what the game is about.

But most who aren't rushing to get there will, just by playing the game normally (or what I would consider normal), be way overpowered by the time they head off to do the endgame. That was definitely the case for me.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I've feel like the game naturally should have two more stables then it does: one in Hyrule field and one in east Necluda. Though there are stable ruins in both sections so perhaps that's the point.
Yeah a stable in Hyrule Field doesn't sound like a great idea...

RoadHazard

Gold Member

There's like three at around the edges of Hyrule Field. But sure, guess there could have been one more toward the center (although not much closer to the castle, since it wouldn't really make sense that it would survive). I agree that it's weird that there isn't one east of Dueling Peaks. Always stood out as odd to me, thought I had missed one closer to Hateno for quite a while.

I hope the hard mode allows for a NG+ kind of deal because I don't really wanna delete my save file just to play the game again in hard mode.

Why would you need to delete your save file? Just go back to the title screen and hit New Game.

---

Five shrines left. Had 13 left yesterday and took about an hour or so to find one. Found 7 more within a couple hours. My radar is going off in northwestern Hebra. Not sure where this one is going to be. Had a major test of strength in the very corner, so I'm not sure if this one is inside the mountain face or something. I love shrine hunting!

I'm not gonna go after the korok seeds or really anything else after these shrines. I'll finish Tarrey Town, but I'm not really motivated to do much else. What an awesome journey this game has been.

Falchion

Last night I got the memories quest and then proceeded to spend hours searching around for the reference points near the dueling peaks and Hyrule Castle. If the entire game was nothing but looking at photographs and trying to track down locations based on them, I would be more than happy because it's been the highlight of my playthrough so far.

Red

I'm almost ready to finished the game now. I'm at 230 korok seeds, nearly 100 shrines. I need to find the last of the Great fairies. I also want to get 450 or however many koroks I need to max the inventory before I fight Ganon. Then I'll finish him up, dive back in to start putting points into hearts, get the master sword, do the divine beasts, and finish side quests found in towns. Then head to Kakariko, finally, and see Impa for the first time. Do all the inventory upgrades at once. Finish exploring, see how many more koroks I find. Finish Ganon again once it's all cleaned up.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Why would you need to delete your save file? Just go back to the title screen and hit New Game.

---

Five shrines left. Had 13 left yesterday and took about an hour or so to find one. Found 7 more within a couple hours. My radar is going off in northwestern Hebra. Not sure where this one is going to be. Had a major test of strength in the very corner, so I'm not sure if this one is inside the mountain face or something. I love shrine hunting!

I'm not gonna go after the korok seeds or really anything else after these shrines. I'll finish Tarrey Town, but I'm not really motivated to do much else. What an awesome journey this game has been.

That hebra one rings a bell. I was going all over the place looking for it.

atr0cious

I'm almost ready to finished the game now. I'm at 230 korok seeds, nearly 100 shrines. I need to find the last of the Great fairies. I also want to get 450 or however many koroks I need to max the inventory before I fight Ganon. Then I'll finish him up, dive back in to start putting points into hearts, get the master sword, do the divine beasts, and finish side quests found in towns. Then head to Kakariko, finally, and see Impa for the first time. Do all the inventory upgrades at once. Finish exploring, see how many more koroks I find. Finish Ganon again once it's all cleaned up.
Go to Impa first, like half the side quests need to to visit the sister villages before they unlock. So when i restarted, i went faron first, then necluda, and made my way towards Hebra and I'm already at 33 shrines. Gonna get 40 shrines, get the master sword, get rid of hearts, then take on the DBs, because apparently the npcs ask about it.

This thread moved to community? Wow I thought it had just died. A little odd to put it in community, but what do I know?

Anyway. My girlfriend started playing this game on her own file after watching me play it a few times. She's not really a gamer normally. But -- like everyone else -- once she started playing she didn't stop for like 7 hours. The game really is that addicting, especially at first.

Also, we briefly tried "co-op" mode, with one person on each joy con. Worked surprisingly well! I'd love to see two people play through the whole game like that.

This thread moved to community? Wow I thought it had just died. A little odd to put it in community, but what do I know?

Anyway. My girlfriend started playing this game on her own file after watching me play it a few times. She's not really a gamer normally. But -- like everyone else -- once she started playing she didn't stop for like 7 hours. The game really is that addicting, especially at first.

Also, we briefly tried "co-op" mode, with one person on each joy con. Worked surprisingly well! I'd love to see two people play through the whole game like that.

OT's move to community after a month, I believe.

IronRinn

Three pieces of armor left to upgrade (one last level each). Probably around 190 Korok seeds left to get for inventory. So close.

Nictel

That Leviathan bones pictures quest proved to be damn rewarding in the end since it made me go in the areas I haven't explored yet. A
shrine
and a
great fairy
under the Gerudo
great skeleton
. Damn nice. Now to gather some rupees.
I can't seem to find the Hebra Mountains one. Have gone through the area twice now. Plenty of shrines though :). My guess is
that it is underground or beneath an overhanging cliff

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I can't seem to find the Hebra Mountains one. Have gone through the area twice now. Plenty of shrines though :). My guess is
that it is underground or beneath an overhanging cliff

That one is (very light hint)
not out in the open like the others

Red

Um, doing that overwrites your save. You can only have one save per Switch user, you need to create a new user if you want to start a new game while keeping your old one.
Doesn't BotW just keep a catalogue of different save states? "Files" aren't necessary. Does starting a new game delete all previous saves?

atr0cious

Doesn't BotW just keep a catalogue of different save states? "Files" aren't necessary. Does starting a new game delete all previous saves?
Eventually it will. I started on a new profile to keep my original. Even the manual save will get overridden by an auto save.I think the only difference is when you beat the game with the true ending (all the memories). But don't take my word for that.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

You have five autosaves, which will get overwritten very quickly. Not sure about the single manual save you get, if that automatically gets overwritten when you start a new game or if you could theoretically keep that one and only use autosave for your new game. I believe that one gets overwritten as well.

EDIT: Poster above says it does.

bender

What time is it?
Wow.

I'm not too concerned to be honest. For me, this game is all about exploration and discovery and I'd exhausted most of the side quests and optional content that revolved around those aspects. My clock is probably inflated over most as I don't fast travel.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I'm not too concerned to be honest. For me, this game is all about exploration and discovery and I'd exhausted most of the side quests and optional content that revolved around those aspects. My clock is probably inflated over most as I don't fast travel.

Sure, I was the same, and I clocked in at 115h. I did more of a mixed progression than you though. And now that I'm going around finishing stuff up I am fast traveling. But before I beat the game it was me and my horse on the roads. Great experience.

bender

What time is it?
Sure, I was the same, and I clocked in at 115h. I did more of a mixed progression than you though. And now that I'm going around finishing stuff up I am fast traveling. But before I beat the game it was me and my horse on the roads. Great experience.

I gave up on horses as it hindered me discovering things (mostly seeds). I just climb/fly everywhere.

Red

Does the switch time played estimate update in real time? It says I've played about 80 hours, but I thought I was closer to 100.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
When you reach that corner, you're prepared to meet Ganon, which is what the game is about.

Right, but you don't know the corner until you're past it, at which point Ganon is much less fun.

I have 60 shrines with about half of the map explored and that was the only one I looked up lol

I wound up finding it, but looked up the snowball path. Didn't feel like doing trial and error over and over. Turns out I was doing it correctly but I was starting from the top, instead of just under the top.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Why does this motion controlled maze ball shrine suck so much

Aaaarrrrgh

Edit: nevermind, made it, still love you video game <3

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Why does this motion controlled maze ball shrine suck so much

Aaaarrrrgh

I don't understand how some have such issues with that. Super easy. Confused me when people had trouble with the ball rolling stages in Galaxy and the flying in SS too. Do you people have no fine motor skills?

No offense. &#128537;

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
The problem was there's no way to re-center, and if you need a couple of shots you'll end up with the console flipped like 90 degrees haha

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Finished all shrines - eventide was the last one. Was surprisingly straightforward. Spent ages gathering food scraps and scavenging weapons, and ended up only needing food for when I blew myself up. Nice thing at the end too. Got a blood moon the first night on the island which was annoying.

9 side quests left which I think I'll look up on the internet as they could literally be anywhere - if they're inside a cave only at night I'd never find it.

I don't understand how some have such issues with that. Super easy. Confused me when people had trouble with the ball rolling stages in Galaxy and the flying in SS too. Do you people have no fine motor skills?

No offense. &#128537;

Doing it in handheld mode was a real nightmare for me. I wound up using the kickstand and detaching the right joycon for the puzzles. That's the one that controls everything and it's relatively annoying to get it done when you're using the joycon grip or handheld mode.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I did it in handheld mode

Btw what stuff should I typically sell to get money?

ghibli99

I kept selling the vast majority of my monster loot. It's so prolific and easy to get that even at low rupees per item, in the aggregate sense, it was easy to rack up thousands upon thousands in cash. I don't remember even needing much money late-game either, but it did come in handy in rounding out my inventory outfit-wise. I also sold less precious gemstones, since those were relatively common as well. You can also do the snow bowling trick (if you've gotten there) for guaranteed gold rupees for days.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The problem was there's no way to re-center, and if you need a couple of shots you'll end up with the console flipped like 90 degrees haha

Sure, that's true. Not optimal, but I didn't have much trouble anyway

Doing it in handheld mode was a real nightmare for me. I wound up using the kickstand and detaching the right joycon for the puzzles. That's the one that controls everything and it's relatively annoying to get it done when you're using the joycon grip or handheld mode.

Wow, ok, yeah, I can see that being a big pain. Didn't even think of that. I did it in split Joycon mode (so I only had to twist the right one around), which is how I played almost the entire game. Twisting the entire Switch around does not sound like a fun time.

For money, gems were the ticket for me. I smashed tons of ore on my way to different places, and made tens of thousands of rupees selling them.

Top Bottom