• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch or PS4 to complement a gaming PC?

Would you like to play wherever you want? I've brought my switch to Venice as well as mountain tops. Of course, gaming hasn't been the great attraction but it's nice to have something chill to do at night if you're not into partying.

Breath of the wild was the most joyful experience I've ever had with a game.

Helldivers, discjammers and tricky towers are good 4 player local multiplayer games on ps4 - but mario kart destroys them.

Eusis

Do you care about Sony 1st party games or Nintendo 1st party games?
Or potentially those Japanese 3rd party games that are either fucked up on PC or simply fail to show...

... Honestly it's kind of a toss up for me. I'd lean towards Switch, but stuff like Nioh, Yakuza, and Persona are great and absent from PC entirely. And stuff like Falcom and Koei Tecmo have either late or questionable PC ports, and we see that Nier Automata's isn't getting the updates it apparently needs, so the PS4 can be the SAFE bet there for a lot of Japanese games. But more and more may hit the Switch even if they don't hit PC, and the Switch covers a different niche there while the PS4 can be redundant.

ffvorax

PS4 has the best exclusive right now and a nice backlog of games you can get for low prices.

BUT if you are a N fan, you should have no doubt. Swtich is still young though.

People's true colours showing through in this thread. Jesus. To say "Lack of PS4 exclusives" and "unusual sorts who prefer PS4 exclusives" after the year that system has had so far, well, I never.

OP it comes down to what you want to play more, Nintendo or Sony exclusives. Both systems complement PC well, although the PS4 of course has a lot more overlap with PC. If you were to buy a Switch, you'd likely eventually have far more unique content to enjoy there + portability which is oh so glorious. So far you've got Zelda, ARMS, Splatoon 2, MK8D and Super Mario Odyssey, FE Warriors and Xenoblade 2 still to come this year. That's a lot to get stuck into for such a young system, and while 2018 is still a bit of a mystery it'll only get better.

Having said that, it's still fairly new, and PS4 naturally has more exclusives games under its belt. Bloodborne, Horizon, Nioh, Persona 5, The Last Guardian, Gravity Rush 2, Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted 4, Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth etc. And if you didn't own a PS3 then there are some cool remasters to catch up on. Don't sleep on The Last of Us.

You can't go wrong with either, which is why really I think it's best to have both. But weigh up the pros and cons based on what experiences you want from this supplemental console and go from there. My hot take says go with a Switch, but a case can easily be made for a PS4 too.

Having said that, it's still fairly new, and PS4 naturally has more exclusives games under its belt. Bloodborne, Horizon, Nioh, Persona 5, The Last Guardian, Gravity Rush 2, Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted 4, Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth etc. And if you didn't own a PS3 then there are some cool remasters to catch up on. Don't sleep on The Last of Us.

But OP has had a chance to play all of those games. It's in the third sentence of his post:
If you had to choose between one of these consoles to complement a gaming PC which would you choose atm? Going to buy one soonish (next couple months). I had a PS4 up until a few months ago when it died so I've already played mostly everything on it I wanted up to this point but of course it will get some great games coming up. Switch I have yet to touch however. What do you think gaf? Which would you pick?

Historically Nintendo hh revisions were every two years and consoles never got them. We haven't had any rumours of an upgrade so basically you're setting yourself up for disappointment if you're expecting one next year.

True, but let's not forget that switch is a hybrid. Oh and by HW revision i meant better battery life mostly.

conman

I've been gaming a long time, so I have developed my own "Rule of Five": once a console hits five must-have exclusives, then it's worth getting. And according to my rule, PS4 is your choice; you'll have to wait a year or two for the Switch library to grow big enough.

KonradLaw

Genrally it's now it's PS4 easily. It has a lot more games can't get on PC and Switch's best title can..well..let's just say it's pretty accessible to PC gamers :)

Now, the OP has played past PS4 titles, but even then the console is now rolling full steam ahead, while Switch is still gaining steam. The upcoming lineip for PS4 is a lot nicer than for Switch.

maxmars

You really want both the PS4 and the Switch, because of exclusives.

Since you already have a PC, you can play many PS4 games on that already, therefore I would advise starting with the Switch, whose library isn't as huge as that of PS4 but there are already great exclusives you don't want to miss. This is true especially if you plan on taking the console with you on the move from time to time or even bring it to friends' homes.

..But a PS4 should follow for its own great exclusives.

Dragner

Its all about the first party software really. Both are great systems. Unless you wsnt portability then obv switch wins. I guess graphics are not what you search for being a pc gamer you have that more than covered.

Top Bottom