• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II (PS3/360/PC) - Edge Magazine details (Prepare yourself)

duckroll

It's probably more like,

Namco: You have to work on project X
Miyazaki: I know, I sure wish I could work on Dark Souls 2
Namco: You can watch or something.
Miyazaki: Okay :(

Miyazaki doesn't work for Namco, he works for From Software. Whatever game he is working on next might not have anything to do with Namco.

jett

D-Member
I guess this is actually a next-gen game, and PS360 will get downgraded ports. Newbie directors is the only thing that worries.

Hmm, should've stuck with Atlus?

I always wondered why they weren't at least given right of first refusal with Dark Souls. They did an incredible job building a Western "Souls" fanbase with Demon's Souls after Sony dropped the ball, yet Namco got to feast on that swell of hype for the sequel.

$$$ talks I guess, but I feel bad that Namco was so richly rewarded for Atlus' hard work, at least in the States.

That is Atlus's own damn fault for not having offices in Europe.

Especially with Atlus's recent stand on region locking, I would have hated for them to go with Atlus.

And it's not like Namco didn't do anything for Demon's Souls. They did for Demon's Souls in europe what Atlus did for it in America.

ironcreed

Banned
Am I the only one who thinks that it may actually end up being a good thing having someone who comes from Monster Hunter putting their stamp on it? Hell, I can certainly think of worse influences being thrown into the mixture. Seems like a good fit, if you ask me.

UrbanRats

Thing is, you realize which parts of the combat are shallow when you play enough.
  • Enemies completely ignore you until you're a certain distance away from them.
  • Most humanoid enemies can be effortlessly circle-strafed and backstabbed.
  • Any level with lots of ledges leads to enemies that are downright suicidal.
  • Enemies track player movement slowly enough that you can simply run through huge portions of the game.
I'd certainly be in favor of enhancing the action through addressing some of those things.

Not to say that DS was flawless, but i bet some of those "flaws" in enemy behaviour were deliberate.
The level design in the Capra Demon stage HAS to be made that way, so you can try and play around with his AI.
I think this is a big part of what makes Dark Souls actually not that a frustrating game, yes it's punishing if you don't pay attention, but you can still work around a lot of systems to become untouchable.

I think it's a cool thing.

genjiZERO

Hmmmmmmm I'm a bit worried about this. The subtlety of the story was something I liked best about both Demon's and Dark Souls - it actually allowed me to use my imagination. I'm also really concerned about it getting dumbed down. Certainly some things could be less tedious (like item management), but the gameplay is absolutely perfect. It's engaging, intelligent, and one of the few games where there's not a single cheap moment.

Midou

Miyazaki doesn't work for Namco, he works for From Software. Whatever game he is working on next might not have anything to do with Namco.

True enough.

I imagine it's somewhat likely though, with both Souls and AC having Namco Bandai involvement. We will find out eventually I suppose.

i-Lo

Pertaining to the fact that it's a "sequel" what about it is that is directly related to DS? The world or the character or the story?

Pooya

Am I the only one who thinks that it may actually end up being a good thing having someone who comes from Monster Hunter putting their stamp on it? Hell, I can certainly think of worse influences being thrown into the mixture. Seems like a good fit, if you ask me.

? the OP says the directors have nothing to do with MonHun.

The Shibuya who's directing Dark Souls 2 is not the Shibuya who worked on Monster Hunter. Even if he was, the Monster Hunter Shibuya was from a studio hired to do art and probably never came near game design.

ironcreed

Banned
? the OP says the directors have nothing to do with MonHun.

"There is another Tomohiro Shibuya on Mobygames who is a graphic artist at D.A.G., a studio Capcom contracts for graphical work on some of their games. He is not the same person. "

Ah, confusion indeed. Was just going on the initial reports, but at least that is now cleared up.

Well, I guess we just have to wait and see, but I seriously doubt From will shit all over what they have established. They can make certain aspects easier to understand and add a bit more of a story without ruining the gameplay, and I will trust them until I see evidence that proves otherwise.

Clevinger

Let me preface by saying I think I love good graphics. So, I mean it when I express my concern about the upgraded visuals and how it may be partly responsible for "mainstream-ing" Dark Souls franchise (in case it happens) to draw in a more casual crowd.

Edge is full of shit about the graphics, unless that in-game screenshot we have is misleading.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I have such a terrible feeling about this. It makes me sad GAF. Really sad :(

There is still hope, but I am hearing way too many wrong things. I hope they don't take one of few hardcore games left away from the audience it found and succeeded with.

Maybe Miyazaki is working on Demon's Souls 2/Vita eh!

Yuterald

Shibuya has been directing games for longer than Miyazaki has!
Lol.

Yeah, I think it's going to come down to how competent of a director this guy is. I've never played or even seen footage of an ACE game (and I'm assuming a lot of this fan base hasn't either) so I have no idea what to expect.

Whatevs though, I'm not invested in this franchise anymore. I'm an old From Software fart anyway. I still prefer Demon's Souls to Dark Souls. I preferred it when From didn't know what they had on their hands (Demon's Souls). They made a game that they wanted to make and that was it. Now they've got all of this pressure to one up the big boys and it's just tarnishing the whole scene for me. I know a lot of people divorce themselves from this sort of shit, but I can't. Dark Souls did a lot right and it's a cool game, but I'm just not liking how this is all playing out. This shit is getting too big for its own good. If From messes up, they'll mess up.

Especially with Atlus's recent stand on region locking, I would have hated for them to go with Atlus.

And it's not like Namco didn't do anything for Demon's Souls. They did for Demon's Souls in europe what Atlus did for it in America.
Oh, didn't know Namco published the first one in Europe.

The whole business side of this series is such a hilarious series of missed opportunities, heh. Good thing it worked out this way though. More exposure = bigger audience = more Souls.

jett

D-Member
Shibuya has been directing games for longer than Miyazaki has!
Lol.

lolz, he could have been making those ACE games for 500 years and I would not care. :p

Now...Miyazaki being forced off the franchise is worrisome. I guess Dark Souls had a disappointing performance compared to Namco's expectations.

ironcreed

Banned
Damn, we have not even seen any gameplay yet and people are already acting like, "the dream is over." LOL, never change, GAF.

genjiZERO

Yeah, I think it's going to come down to how competent of a director this guy is. I've never played or even seen footage of an ACE game (and I'm assuming a lot of this fan base hasn't either) so I have no idea what to expect.

Whatevs though, I'm not invested in this franchise anymore. I'm an old From Software fart anyway. I still prefer Demon's Souls to Dark Souls. I preferred it when From didn't know what they had on their hands (Demon's Souls). They made a game that they wanted to make and that was it. Now they've got all of this pressure to one up the big boys and it's just tarnishing the whole scene for me. I know a lot of people divorce themselves from this sort of shit, but I can't. Dark Souls did a lot right and it's a cool game, but I'm just not liking how this is all playing out. This shit is getting too big for its own good. If From messes up, they'll mess up.

I always thought it was sad that Namco did the publishing. If From couldn't handle it themselves I'd have had rather them stuck with Atlus. I've actually never been sure why they didn't. I'm less concerned with From messing it up than Namco. I wouldn't call Namco incompetent this generation, but I think Atlus has been far superior in the overall quality of released titles.

Hydrophilic Attack said:

Oh, interesting. Didn't know that. Thanks for the clarification.

This is the only thing that worries me:

-Shibuya talks about "limiting players options for the early portion of the game, making it simpler to understand new concepts. Then, after a certain amount of time has elapsed, they will suddenly experience the true dark souls experience".

The fuck is this? FFXIII?

Midou

It could just be a somewhat extended version of how Demon's Souls started. Like maybe an hour or so before the main game, in a journey leading up to it. It's much better than dumbing down the whole game or adding an easy mode.

ironcreed

Banned
Best thing they could have done is just kept quiet on wanting to make some aspects less cryptic and let the footage and eventual hands-on previews speak for the game. Now, the doom and gloom snowball effect will keep on rolling until the game is out, and then we will have the inevitable backlash from people who had the seeds of "it's just not going to be the same" sown in their mind from day one.

For people complaining about accessibility changes, how many of you understood the covenant system without ever looking at wikis or someone telling you about them? Purely from gameplay. How many of you that played Demon's Souls thought world tendency was a good idea that added to their gameplay without ever looking up what it did?

Best thing they could have done is just kept quiet on wanting to make some aspects less cryptic and let the footage and eventual hands-on previews speak for the game. Now, the doom and gloom snowball effect will keep on rolling until the game is out, and then we will have the inevitable backlash from people who had the seeds of "it's just not going to be the same" sown in their mind from day one.

aka the DmC effect

MormaPope

Banned
The hysteria in this thread is both hilarious and sad, being a huge Dark Souls fan these changes don't sound bad at all really.

Dark Souls isn't a flawless game, there are plenty of problems that could be addressed.

genjiZERO

All the characters will be replaced by annoying as fuck emo teenagers. At one point you'll fight a giant undead zombie mother who births an unending string of dead babies. She'll talk trash to you before you fight her and will say "moms are tough!"

By the way is it me or does Dark Souls have the best dead baby joke of any videogame?

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I don't mind the things they've done to make the game more accessible, but I hope they don't change the core formula too much. The "action oriented" part in the OP worries me a bit; maybe they removed Miyazaki from the project because his design choices weren't compatible with what Namco had in mind? I guess I'll wait for some more info.

Guevara

I don't mind the things they've done to make the game more accessible, but I hope they don't change the core formula too much. The "action oriented" part in the OP worries me a bit; maybe they removed Miyazaki from the project because his design choices weren't compatible with what Namco had in mind? I guess I'll wait for some more info.

Or maybe he just wanted to make something new. That's the silver lining here I guess.

UrbanRats

For people complaining about accessibility changes, how many of you understood the covenant system without ever looking at wikis or someone telling you about them? Purely from gameplay. How many of you that played Demon's Souls thought world tendency was a good idea that added to their gameplay without ever looking up what it did?

It's all a matter of how much they will streamline it, ofcourse.
BUT for me part of the fun actually came from that community wanking that was going on with the game, discovering things together, made it resonate more with me and it was actually the only enjoyable and fun thing that i ultimately took off of Lost (the TV show), discussing it week after week, although the show itself was rather lame.

They can provide a more clear storyline and game in general without destroying it, i wouldn't argue against that, but to remain vague was, for me, part of what made it fun and eerie.
Not understanding everything on the first 2 or so playthroughs etc.

Zaventem

aka the DmC effect

All covenants but Nito's are fairly straight forward.I agree if they can have something like word tendency in Dark Souls 2 and explain it better.Another thing that can be explained better wen you hit the select button on the stats menus is a better example of what it does rather than "this parameter boost strength" " etc etc

Einbroch

Banned
I don't understand. Why call it Dark Souls 2 if you want it to be something different? I understand brand recognition, but it's like if Sony made the Playstation 4 one of those speak and spell game machines. Dark Souls wasn't called Demon's Souls 2.

Thus I will give them the benefit of the doubt.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Or maybe he just wanted to make something new. That's the silver lining here I guess.
Well duckroll's post above mentions that Miyazaki was a bit sad about not being able to work on this game.

Miyazaki worked on Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, but for the IP to evolve and provide a new experience within the Dark Souls world the new wind from directors Shibuya and Tanimura is key to providing players with [a] brand new Dark Souls experience.

Looks like a forced move to me. Hope it all works out but it seems to me that with the addition of new directors and the "action oriented" approach, they are targeting the wider market this time around. I'm a bit worried tbh.

Kouichi

Those details sound great. As long as they don't completely ruin some of the subtle charm of the Souls games, I'm up for them making certain things more accessible and straight-forward. The covenant system needs some in-game explanations so I don't have to keep going on the wiki.

I trust the Dark Souls team and I'm sure they won't ruin the core mechanics that make the game so good.

genjiZERO

I don't understand. Why call it Dark Souls 2 if you want it to be something different? I understand brand recognition, but it's like if Sony made the Playstation 4 one of those speak and spell game machines. Dark Souls wasn't called Demon's Souls 2.

Thus I will give them the benefit of the doubt.

I believe Sony owns the Demon's Souls brand which is why they couldn't use it since they wanted to go multi-platform.

QaaQer

this. Now that Dark Souls is a brand, marketing is going to dicate game design. They will have their charts, focus groups, sales projections, blah blah. And it usually works. Far Cry 2 took risks and didn't pander, and many hated it. Far Cry 3 does all the things players seem to want (giant hud for dummies, no confusion, make player feel powerful, challenge free combat, in your face dumbass story, etc), and the reception to fc3 was way better.

I'm of the school though, that thinks the best gaming experiences are from games that take risks and where a developer has some kind of vision of what he wants to make and the freedom and $ to do it. Demon's Souls was special for that reason.

Anyone else get the icky feeling Scamco (hey, it's that term again!) dropped a whooooooooole lot of dough on From's table with caveats?

seems cool, they are right to make it more accessible and more straight-forward. the first Dark Souls was so stupid, there were no directions where to go, no mini-map, nothing. and sometimes you find items that you dont know what they are or cant even use them wtf, just so annoying. and why cant i send co-op invites?! unbelievable. they better fix that too for the bigger and better sequel. ohh and character creation was also useless, i wanted to make a big badass warrior but the game only lets me make skinny wimp characters.. WHAT is up with that??

hopefully theres better voice acting too, it was so bad in Dark Souls. they didn't even sound American with the weird accents and whatever, really pissed me off.

anyway bring on Dark Souls 2!

wow this is really stupid.

Avarice is an never-satisfied hunger, ladies and gentlemen.

Top Bottom