• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone here in the Air Force?

J_Viper

I've always had an interest in joining the Armed Forces. The lifestyle had an appeal to me, and the perks have always sounded great.

What stopped me joining previously was my mom. She's very dramatic and emotional. So when I told her I was considering this path, she immediately started crying, and told me how much stress it'd cause her. I understood, so I backed off.

It's been almost six years since then, and it's looking like the military might be the only path available to me. My family got hit with a dire financial situation recently, and even though I hear the pay isn't too great, being able to send my parents money would help things.

I'm 23 years old and have kept myself in decent shape, so I'm thinking the physical test shouldn't be a problem.

My only concern would be the wait time between signing up and shipping out. I hear it can take months to be sent to Basic, and I don't have that kind of time.

Anyone here in the AF?

I'd very much appreciate any tips and advice regarding the entry process.

Wasn't in the Air Force but Marines (we called them the chair force lol). I'm not exactly too familiar with that branch but going by what I heard from when I was in it is the least demanding branch in terms of being in physical shape and the least likely to see combat. They also get the best of everything pretty much. Best barracks, gear, food etc etc. The shipping out thing all depends really. I've known people who signed up and shipped out within a couple weeks. This was back in the 90s though when I was in...not sure if anything has changed.

linkboy

I just got out at the beginning of the month, and for me, getting out was one of the best things that's happened to me.

I was downright miserable, and was almost suicidal (and nobody in my chain of command gave a shit, it took a phone call to my mom and going outside of my chain of command to get the help I needed).

I'm not going to say don't join the Air Force, as the military can be demanding, but also rewarding. It's also not for everyone. I did 11 years and the last 4 were some of the worst 4 years of my life (I'm 35). I had toxic leadership and was in a career field that didn't give two shits about its people.

edit
fixed some wording

Amory

I just got out at the beginning of the month, and for me, it was one of the best things that's happened to me.

I was downright miserable, and was almost suicidal (and nobody in my chain of command gave a shit, it took a phone call to my mom and going outside of my chain of command to get the help I needed).

I'm not going to say don't join the Air Force, as the military can be demanding, but also rewarding. It's also not for everyone. I did 11 years and the last 4 were some of the worst 4 years of my life (I'm 35). I had toxic leadership and was in a career field that didn't give two shits about its people.

So what was good? lol

Or are you saying getting out was one of the best things

I had toxic leadership and was in a career field that didn't give two shits about its people.

One of my gunnys in charge of our shop was a former drill instructor who basically thought he was still one. He literally yelled at everyone like they were recruits even ssgts...shit sucked lol. But OP this guy is right...military isn't for everyone and if you do go you will see a ton of people drop out in boot camp. Some people love it though so who knows. It wasn't for me but I met a lot of cool people and saw some places I'd never see otherwise.

BradC00

whatever you do, don't settle for a garbage job you don't want just so you can leave sooner. and stay away from security forces.

linkboy

whatever you do, don't settle for a garbage job you don't want just so you can leave sooner. and stay away from security forces.

or Services.

To the OP. Please don't think I'm being negative to be negative. There's positives to being in the Air Force (or the military in general), but there's a lot of negatives as well. It's not a regular 9 to 5 job, even if you get in a career field that works those hours.

Also, don't get me wrong, there are people who actually do care and will try to take care of you, but there's also people who only care about themselves and will fuck over any that gets in their way (and with how the Air Force handles performance ratings, that's what those people care about).

Artdayne

I was in the Air Force for four years, finished up my degree and now I have a good job. Joining the Air Force was a great decision for me, it truly helped propel me to where I am now.

I would look into some of the 3DO career fields, I was a 3D0X3 which is Cyber Surety. There are a number of tech fields that can help if you're interested in that kind of thing. Otherwise there are several other jobs you can have that will help you with a career on the outside as well.

I joined when the economy was in a recession and I was laid off from my job. It can take a long time between signing up and shipping out for basic, one of the really difficult things for me was if you've ever had any serious injuries like broken an arm, seen a psychologist, they are going to want papers for those things.

The Air Force is a great branch, before you sign on though, I would be sure to study for the ASVAB and make sure you have your career field decided before you leave. If they mark you down as open general there's a good chance you'll end up doing Security Forces (Cop). That's supposed to be one of the most boring and BS jobs in the Air Force.

Basic Training sucks in the first 1-2 weeks but after that it's generally not too bad. They usually lighten up a fair bit at that point.

One other point: SIGN UP FOR 4 YEARS, NOT 6!

They try to trick you into signing up for 6, you do get a little extra money for like 3-4 months but you're committed for another 2 years of your life. I've never met anyone that was glad they signed up for 6 years.

J_Viper

Thanks for the responses so far guys. They're much appreciated.

I actually was doing more research, and it looks like the Army is offering two-year contracts? That sounds way more appealing to me.

Looks like the sign-on bonuses are bigger too, depending on the career chosen

I actually was doing more research, and it looks like the Army is offering two-year contracts? That sounds way more appealing to me.

Sounds like the sign-on bonuses are bigger too, depending on the career chosen

I have no idea if this is still a thing but depending on the MOS(job) you choose they may make you stay in longer. The school I went to was over a year so I had to do 5 years instead of 4. Those 2 year contracts may only be for certain jobs? No idea though tbh.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Which will you pick OP?

uWAVAFk.jpg

Nekofrog

Banned
I was in for 4 years, 2009-2013. I can't say that you'd never ever be in harm's way as long as Trump is president because let's be honest, he's dumb enough to do anything at this point

BUT

Trump danger aside, it's normally the safest of the armed forces and you'd likely never even be within 1,000 miles of any danger. it's the air force lol.

Served 4 years active duty, 2012-2016.
Job was so-so (F-15 Crew Chief) but I enjoyed my time, got stationed in the UK and loved all the traveling. Now I'm starting school next month with the help of the GI Bill, don't have to worry about tuition and I get $1,500 a month to spend on whatever. I can focus on full-time school without having to worry about money, which is easily worth the 4 years of service.

or Services.

To the OP. Please don't think I'm being negative to be negative. There's positives to being in the Air Force (or the military in general), but there's a lot of negatives as well. It's not a regular 9 to 5 job, even if you get in a career field that works those hours.

Also, don't get me wrong, there are people who actually do care and will try to take care of you, but there's also people who only care about themselves and will fuck over any that gets in their way (and with how the Air Force handles performance ratings, that's what those people care about).
Unfortunately that's the same everywhere.

Arsin

I was in for 4 years. I signed up for 6 to do Air Traffic Control but got out due to getting MEDBoarded. I hated the ATC environment so as soon as I could I got out of there and was my squadrons UDM for just over 3 years. Just like any job had some great bosses and some super shitty ones, but overall it was a great experience. The time in the UDM was a really good thing for me and was an area that I could really shine, even though I was only a Senior Airman. As I was leaving I could see the effect that I had on the people I worked with and the effect they had on me. It is something I will never forget and helped me to become the person I am today.

But to your OP, I will echo what others are saying here. Only sign up for 4 years and if you find a job you like then decide to re-enlist. Some people might not like this point of view, but I would treat joining the Air Force like any other job. There are some stupid bullshit things you have to do, people who don't deserve it get all the credit while you get little to none, and you might have a job that you don't really like. However, it is solid pay, great benefits, and a way to learn a few new trade skills.

Even after some of the more negative experiences, I would recommend that anyone join the Air Force. With the changes coming to the GI Bill, having the option to get an education at any time in your life is something that everyone should seriously consider looking into.

If you have any specific questions I have some, SOME, knowledge on most of the jobs that fall into the Operations side of a base. So that would include, ATC, Intel, Airfield Management, Weather, Crew Comm, SERE training, and Aircrew Flight Equipment. Please ask if you have any interest in any of those career fields.

Fly, Fight, Win!

Personally I recommend that you be a F-22 pilot it's cooler than the F-35 IMO.

And when you get your wings try not to buzz the tower too much, hot shot.

noquarter

I'm Navy, but have spent the last 10 years working in joint environments (all services) and would recommend against Army if you are looking at both. The Army peeps I work with really have to do a lot of extra stuff, like rucksack marches every month, field exercises every 6 months or year, stricter chain (this really is dependent on the officer in charge, but on average the army has been the strictest on the trivial things)

Air Force has overall the best quality of life of the services. Advancement is usually the slowest, but that could happen in any service depending on MOS/rate (Navy MOS equivalent)

The 2 year contract cam be good, but you will probably be in a job that doesn't really have a long training pipeline. Anything that has a better training course will probably make you sign for 4 years anyways.

dontbelievehislies.png

I've been in for over 6 years. It is what you make of it. Try and get a job that's useful on the outside.
While it isn't useful outside of the job, once you get out you can get contract jobs for that that pay $100k+ a year. The job is super easy as a contractor and overseas they were doing 2 month tours where I was. Really just long enough to want to go back home and you're there. At home they were off the whole time.

No guarantees the jobs would still be available when you get out, but they are out there.

But, no matter what, I would highly recommend you do everything you can while in to prepare for being out. Take college as much as you can, if you are in a field where you work with civilians so some networking. If you are in a field that pays for certifications, get them. Really, just always prepare to be out of the service and make the most of those opportunities.

blackflag

I was in the Air Force for 10 years and loved it but got out for a better opportunity. Still miss a lot of it.

This poster I quoted is telling the truth.

Never served in the Air Force but was a corpsman greenside in the Navy.

Best advice I can give you:

-only sign up for four years
-go to school while enlisted
-if possible, get the best MOS that you can get that is easily transferable to the civilian world
-save as much money as you can (it's easy but apparently a lot of service members do not save)

If/when you decide to get out, have a plan and use the Post 9/11 GI Bill.

Good luck.

PT in the Air Force is a joke

HiiiLife

Been in the AF for a few years and it's been the best thing that's happened to me.

Financiallly, career wise, and physically at least.

How long you wait to be sent out to basic depends on whenever your AFSC needs class dates / manpower. I'd imagine if you pick services or security forces you'd be sent out fast.

Don't do either.

Magwik

Banned
What a timely thread.
I was just considering doing the same and going in for something related to IT. So hearing back from anyone else here would also be nice.

What a timely thread.
I was just considering doing the same and going in for something related to IT. So hearing back from anyone else here would also be nice.

Do it but have a plan though.

I owe my current life to the military. The Post 9/11 GI Bill is the best benefit to veterans imo.

Fushin

I just signed up for the reserves and the Detachment Training Flights are great, meet up and get paid once a month before basic training to study for basic training.

HiiiLife

I owe my current life to the military. The Post 9/11 GI Bill is the best benefit to veterans imo.

School benefits alone are a good enough reason to give four years of your life. Plus you can use TA towards your degree while in the service. Then save the benefits for family. Get your foot in the door for places, healthcare, housing allowance (and pocket the money if you're smart with where you live) etc. You can't beat it.

-if possible, get the best MOS that you can get that is easily transferable to the civilian world
-save as much money as you can (it's easy but apparently a lot of service members do not save)

Good luck.

This man right here has the master plan.

OP: I am in the Navy but I got in after I became an Occupational therapist. If I could do it again, I would have enlisted for 4 years and used that to pay for college and then come back in after obtaining my professional degree.

If you can get a rating with a need for a TS clearance, do it. My one regret with my 8 years of service is not getting out sooner when I still had my Top Secret clearance. It's a shoe in for high paying work in the civilian world.

HiiiLife

OP I should also note that I'm in Space Command. If you think the rest of the military considers the AF not the real deal, just imagine what the actual AF says about us. Lol. Have never had any other job in the military, but from what I hear we're definitely different from the rest of the jobs in the AF. In a lax, sit on the computer to operate a satellite type of way.

What a timely thread.

Looked up any cyber afsc's? Warfare? Security? The AF is hurting for manpower in those. And you already know you'll have jobs lined up when you seperate with something like that.

School benefits alone are a good enough reason to give four years of your life. Plus you can use TA towards your degree while in the service. Then save the benefits for family. Get your foot in the door for places, healthcare, housing allowance (and pocket the money if you're smart with where you live) etc. You can't beat it.

Yup.

For anyone thinking of going into the military, you can use tuition assistance to obtain a bachelor's degree while in active duty.

Then, you can pass on your GI Bill to your dependents.

On top of that, you stand out from the thousands of new college graduates. Employers in my experience like to hire veterans.

Also, you'll get used to the many acronyms in the military lol.

It is best not to rush it because some jobs in the AF are terrible. I don't know how some people can deal with being security forces. It's best to hold out for a job that doesn't make you suffer and if you have a bachelor, go officer. Do research on jobs and ask people on AF forums or reddit about them and you should find one you are cool with.

I just got out at the beginning of the month, and for me, getting out was one of the best things that's happened to me.

edit
fixed some wording

What is your AFSC? We always had people leaving with that same explanation you gave. Most of it because leadership is just straight up terrible, officers exploit the people others to make rank, and the most backwards thinking NCOs I've seen.

Magwik

Banned

I know (mostly) of what I'm getting into. My main incentive is to not only add structure and purpose to my life, but to also take advantage of the massive amount of benefits available.

Looked up any cyber afsc's? Warfare? Security? The AF is hurting for manpower in those. And you already know you'll have jobs lined up when you seperate with something like that.
An old friend of mine recently went in and is now doing Cyber Transport Systems so I was bouncing between that and a few others. If they need the manpower for it, it's definitely on the top of my priorities then.

HiiiLife

If you can get a rating with a need for a TS clearance, do it. My one regret with my 8 years of service is not getting out sooner when I still had my Top Secret clearance. It's a shoe in for high paying work in the civilian world.

Also this. If working towards your degree and goals through school isn't incentive enough, your clearance level could be considered your most valuable thing.

sam12

Served 4 years active duty, 2012-2016.
Job was so-so (F-15 Crew Chief) but I enjoyed my time, got stationed in the UK and loved all the traveling. Now I'm starting school next month with the help of the GI Bill, don't have to worry about tuition and I get $1,500 a month to spend on whatever. I can focus on full-time school without having to worry about money, which is easily worth the 4 years of service.

Does everyone get 1500 or does it depend on their job when they served? And is this for the duration of school or do you get that throughout your life?

emrober5

Looks like the sign-on bonuses are bigger too, depending on the career chosen

FYI all initial Army contracts are eight years. The "two years" would be active time and you would then have 6 years in the individual ready reserve. Meaning, you have a very good chance of getting thrown into a made up unit for deployment purposes if/when war ramps up. All this information is assuming you are talking active duty I have no knowledge of the reserves or guard.

You also have to do a minimum of 3 years for a re-enlistment bonus, but maybe initial enlistment is different.

Go see recruiters for the branches that interest you, weigh the pros and cons, and think criticially. Recruiters are there to meet their quota, if it's not in your contract then it isn't true.

Fwiw I'm in the military and it's the best decision I ever made.

Does everyone get 1500 or does it depend on their job when they served? And is this for the duration of school or do you get that throughout your life?

The monthly housing allowance for the GI Bill varies by what city your school is located. In order to get the max monthly housing allowance, you have to be a full-time student.

Someone going to school in San Diego will obviously get a different monthly housing allowance compared to someone going to school in Kansas City.

The duration is for 36 months under the Post 9/11 GI Bill, payable for 15 years following your release from active duty.

IronRaven

Advice from a friend of mine who was in the Air Force who has left recently:

First step is to talk to a recruiter and explain your situation.
It can take months to go to basic training with a job lined up.
But you can go in without one, but you'll be open to any job.
Aircraft maintenance, cop, chow hall cook, comm, medical, anything.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
The monthly housing allowance for the GI Bill varies by what city your school is located. In order to get the max monthly housing allowance, you have to be a full-time student.

Someone going to school in San Diego will obviously get a different monthly housing allowance compared to someone going to school in Kansas City.

The duration is for 36 months under the Post 9/11 GI Bill, payable for 15 years following your release from active duty.

And also in a physical classroom.

If you do an online degree program, all full-time students get the same flat-rate (which is less than $1000/month) regardless of where you live and you get a lower percentage of the max potential BAH (monthly pay) depending on the number of credit hours you do.

This so much. You can fucking haggle for your dream job. This wasn't air Force but I saw some kid get placed in some random MOS in the army because he found out he was color blind and then picked something else on the spot instead of thinking it through.
Im in the army, it has its days. Here in Korea the air Force Base is really nice though.
Also shipping it totally random from the last time I was at MEPS, could be days, weeks or months until you ship.

linkboy

What is your AFSC? We always had people leaving with that same explanation you gave. Most of it because leadership is just straight up terrible, officers exploit the people others to make rank, and the most backwards thinking NCOs I've seen.

I was in Services.

Good luck.

This was my plan, but then things changed. I originally was going to do 4, call it a even and focus on my education. Ended up reenlisting when I got back from Iraq and saw that there were no jobs due to the economy going to shit. Was just going to get out after that enlistment, then my son was born in 2010, which totally changed everything.

I'm using my GI Bill to start school for computer science next month.

I've been in the Air Force since Jan 2016 and I may not be able to give you all the great advice the others vets have already given but I can say I'm very proud of my choice to enlist. I'm a 1C0X2, which can be regarded as a really great job depending on which base/aircraft you're assigned to, of which I've the worst (OKC/E-3 Sentry).

Like someone said earlier, the Air Force pushed me to the edge when I first arrived to my base. Everything I did was the wrong thing, I was told I wasn't cut out for this no matter how hard I tried. It drove me to drink heavily every night and want to jump off my 3rd floor balcony. But I persevered and I'm a trusted airman in my squadron to do what's asked of me and do it right. I've already one won award for my performance, I've traveled to Georgia, Canada and am currently in Las Vegas for work. Once I return to OKC, I'll be enrolling in college and saving more money.

I really can't sell you fairy tales and make it sound so amazing. At one point after training, you will hate life more than you did before you joined (and I graduated BMT at 22 so you and I are in the same age group)

My mom felt the way you did especially since my brother did a tour in Iraq for the army. She'll just have to respect your decision as a man. PM if you wanna know specifics

EDIT: TAKE A FLIGHT PHYSICAL AT MEPS! I had no idea there were enlisted aircrew members when I enlisted but I'm luckily still working in a flying squadron. Flying squadrons seem to have better leadership than squadrons that are just support (security forces, medical, finance, etc)

And also in a physical classroom.

If you do an online degree program, all full-time students get the same flat-rate (which is less than $1000/month) regardless of where you live and you get a lower percentage of the max potential BAH (monthly pay) depending on the number of credit hours you do.

Yea I forgot that stipulation.

You only need to go to one physical classroom on campus, while the rest of your courses can be online to qualify for the max BAH.

noquarter

FYI all initial Army contracts are eight years. The "two years" would be active time and you would then have 6 years in the individual ready reserve. Meaning, you have a very good chance of getting thrown into a made up unit for deployment purposes if/when war ramps up. All this information is assuming you are talking active duty I have no knowledge of the reserves or guard.

You also have to do a minimum of 3 years for a re-enlistment bonus, but maybe initial enlistment is different.

Go see recruiters for the branches that interest you, weigh the pros and cons, and think criticially. Recruiters are there to meet their quota, if it's not in your contract then it isn't true.

Fwiw I'm in the military and it's the best decision I ever made.
I'm pretty sure all services have an 8 year initial contract, with the remaining years that aren't active or DEP spent in IRR. I have never heard of anyone being called up from IRR, but it is possible. Army would probably be the one service that would do it, since they seem to always have the greatest manning shortfalls.

I did six years as 3P0X1 and separated back in 2013. The wait time depends, but I had to wait six months to get a spot. However, I joined in 07 and that was during the recession, so a lot of people were joining the military because of the shit economy.

Everyone is going to hate on Security Forces, but in my experience it wasn't horrible. I got a lot of deployments and some good schools out of it (Air Assault and SRT for example). Security Forces has some good opportunities (Ravens, TRF, EST, and etc). However, you have to compete for them, it's not just something you can join right off the bat.

But yeah, the Air Force isn't a bad gig at all. Pay is kind of shit at first, but it's stable and you'll make more as you go through the ranks. Benefits are also good (medical, dental, GI Bill, and etc) Chances are you won't see combat unless you want to. Very few AFSC actually see combat.

I separated because I got what I needed from the Air Force (GI Bill and experience), so I moved onto bigger and better things. I'd definitely recommend the Air Force over any other branch. My father was in the Marines for 30 years and he would say the same.

sam12

I see, thanks

Top Bottom