• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

Shurayuki

Oh ok, I can understand that. I've really come to dislike how round the controller is though.

Yeah the design we know about seems a bit overly round, but i agree with his notion. For reference:
< Oh god WHY | Why hello there beauty>

Your design does look really nice though, just needs more sexy womanly curvyness!

"Just in case Ubermatik was watching over us."

Indeed, puny juniors couldn't even go down in glorious flames like he did, though let him be the only one we lose from here on out guys &#9829;
tumblr_lsoisehish1qc4woub2.gif

J-Rock

Banned
I'm about ready to go on a Wii U blackout until the month of E3. All this recent news is making me feel dizzy and confused.

lednerg

I don't know about two tone, but I could see a fade from white in the front to gray in the back looking pretty good. Or even just a fade from glossy to matte white.

Off-topic: I don't know if it's been mentioned, but the rounded corners should enable better air flow in the box as well as adding more surface area for dissipating heat. Don't know if that's what they had in mind, but seems like it would at least be beneficial in those areas.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
What in the world happened while I was gone? And why did Ubermatik die?

I thought it was because he posted a pretty violent gif of a guy shooting himself in the head, but maybe not.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Ok, time for Gaf to decide.

Still like the original better, and think its better for Nintendo's market. The "plunky" look of the controller is good for families. Your sleeker design is not likely to blend in as well with a typical family room. Its leans a little too far "masculine."

freddy

Banned
Man, I bet that controller takes a lot of processing power to run. Must push the graphics to the limits as well. I wonder what games would look like if they only used the controller when you paused.

HylianTom

Banned
As far as those controller choices are concerned: if we were to go with a more angular look, I'd say that we go all-in: the first choice.

But I like Nintendo's curvier look better.

(Imagine the news stories about players swinging that pad around, hitting one of those sharp edges into someone's eyeball. Yikes!)

c5TyQ.gif

Stay frosty, fellow Wii U fanatics. Watch out for that next meltdown just waiting around the corner ready to claim your sanity and your membership.

Still like the original better, and think its better for Nintendo's market. The "plunky" look of the controller is good for families. Your sleeker design is not likely to blend in as well with a typical family room. Its leans a little too far "masculine."

It's just as sleek as the Wii is, and that fits in perfectly. Maybe if I left the logo colored? I'll try it.

Shurayuki

I thought it was because he posted a pretty violent gif of a guy shooting himself in the head, but maybe not.

I'm pretty certain it was because of the faux thread mentioned above. GAF Database seems to be a bit bungled for me so I had trouble finding it but oh gawd.
Is it OK to link it?

Damn, we lost another active?

C'mon guys we can keep our cool for 60-something more days, right?...

RIGHT?

image.php

;D

I know one thing guy's, I'll take a killer OST over pretty graphics any day! And that's almost never a issue with Nintendo, you could put their best musicians on NES HW and we'd still get legendary beeps and boops. So yeah, can't wait for the epic 5.1 next-gen Smash OST.

BlackJace

I know one thing guy's, I'll take a killer OST over pretty graphics any day! And that's almost never a issue with Nintendo, you could put their best musicians on NES HW and we'd still get legendary beeps and boops. So yeah, can't wait for the epic 5.1 next-gen Smash OST.

I quite agree. Sound design/Soundtrack is something I really value. One of the reason I love the Sonic franchise so much is because the music has always been the shit.

lednerg

c5TyQ.gif

Stay frosty, fellow Wii U fanatics. Watch out for that next meltdown just waiting around the corner ready to claim your sanity and your membership.

Really, guys. Nothing about any of these 'leaks' matters. It should be obvious that some devs are going to take to new hardware better than others. In the end, it's all going to be about E3, specifically the 1st/2nd party games and 3rd party exclusive content.

you know we've reached a sad day when kotaku is the voice of reason.

No doubt, lol.

HylianTom

Banned

I do love it when game music composers include some 8-bit music in their current-day projects. There's still so much that can be done with that medium.

Then again, I'm a gaming music geek and would choose ear-bleeding sounds over eye-bleeding visuals any day.

c5TyQ.gif

I've got ice in my friggin' veins. :)

Snarky developers? Pssht. Can't touch Ninty.

DarthHelmetSwinging.gif

AzaK

These latest interviews have done so much damage, and deteriorated the atmosphere around here, it's a real pity :/

Please, keep your head cool, the E3 is coming fast, don't wanna lose any more active members :(

There's only one thing for it IdeaMan, give us all your info - STAT!

"It's over man! Game over, man! Game over!"

Just watched Aliens on blu ray recently for the first time at my brother's place on his 65 inch LED TV. Hudson's Xenomorph induced whining has never looked or sounded more glorious.

And I finally got a working gif for that post, watch those twists and turns before E3, my U-Age allies!

There's only one thing for it IdeaMan, give us all your info - STAT!
How? His info so far is completely against these two stories and people still freaked out.
This is what I was talking about a while back. The wish washy nature of some people. It's frustrating. Don't overblown every little comment either way it goes.

Really, guys. Nothing about any of these 'leaks' matters. It should be obvious that some devs are going to take to new hardware better than others. In the end, it's all going to be about E3, specifically the 1st/2nd party games and 3rd party exclusive content.

Yep. Like I said before it's this and being able to get ports in the future. That's all that really matters when it comes to Wii U's hardware.

AzaK

How? His info so far is completely against these two stories and people still freaked out.
This is what I was talking about a while back. The wish washy nature of some people. It's frustrating. Don't overblown every little comment either way it goes.

OK, I'll clarify: There's only one way to stop me going insane. I want more Wii U info. I don't care about all the haters.

Kyoufu

Yep. Like I said before it's this and being able to get ports in the future. That's all that really matters when it comes to Wii U's hardware.

I don't think downgraded ports of PS4/720 games will do Wii U any good.

It's all about the exclusive titles that take advantage of the tablet controller.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

It's all about the exclusive titles that take advantage of the tablet controller.

Well, without them a Wii situation is very likely to arise. I agree that 3rd party support won't "win" anything for Nintendo- but it could lose it for them.

Azure J

I haven't been following the MegaMan series since waaaay back, so please forgive me if this is widely known: is there a game in the series that serves as the definitive MegaMan origin story?

Well really, the series isn't built with a storyline like how you're used to it, but the Classic/"Megaman (with no subtitle)" games serve as the basis for everything that goes down in the later games. Thing is, these pretty much boil down to "Wily's fucking our shit up. Light, send Rockboy to fuck his shit up harder!"

From there, X is the sleeker and faster paced game with some semblance of a plot. Light leaves X as his final work and X is all conflicted because robots are fucking everything up. Eventually he mans up and beats the shit out of the guy responsible for the uprising, gaining a buddy in Zero, Wily's last creation.

Going from X6's implied ending of the X series (couple of centuries after the X series ending -- whenever that is), the Zero series takes place with an amnesiac Zero trying to find out why the last sanctuary on Earth after the past wars is being racist/extremist against robots and killing them off for the sake of maintaining the human population.

Then you get into Mega Man: Power Rangers/Tokubetsu edition with ZX that follows humans gaining powers of the old heroes which has implications on the Legends series and its Megaman who's some kid from Elysium named Trigger/Rock.

Yeah, I was in deep with this back in the day. I kinda sparknote'd some stuff, but it's a guilty pleasure of mine, I enjoy the lore behind the games. I think it's because I like the character of Megaman/X.

Shurayuki

Honestly. I'm as hyped at watching what will be going on at GAF during Nintendo's E3 as I am by E3 itself.

I'm way more hyped for GAF reactions. Hope Guru Meditation doesn't get in the way of the complete insanity at least Nintendo's conference will bring.
(let's be honest, no matter what happens the hate on GAF will be uncontainable)
And the gifs, oh god the gifs...Mama Robotnik bring it on.

AzaK

It could be the deciding factor for me as to whether I get Wii U or wait for a 720.

ozfunghi

Do you know what THE BEST CONSOLE DESIGN would be for WiiU?

Imagine the head of Mario in matte white, a tad smaller than the size of a football (it should look something like this render i made a while back, i mean in style, just imagine it being Mario and only the head).

Seriously, i would pay double the normal price. They could do versions of Link, etc as well. It could also just be a plastic cover to slide over the actual console, but it would look so great.

It could be the deciding factor for me as to whether I get Wii U or wait for a 720.
sort of the same here, but it depends.

If it doesn't seem like it will get downgraded ports, AND it doesn't launch at an aggressive price then I will honestly and sadly wait, if it will get all that stuff, I'll get it almost regardless of price (assuming nothing ridiculous).

HylianTom

Banned
I'm way more hyped for GAF reactions. Hope Guru Meditation doesn't get in the way of the complete insanity at least Nintendo's conference will bring.
(let's be honest, no matter what happens the hate on GAF will be uncontainable)
And the gifs, oh god the gifs...Mama Robotnik bring it on.

I'm about 80-20 hyped in favor of actually finding-out info on this system. Today has left me with a bad taste in my mouth, serving as a sharp reminder of how out of touch I feel with most "gamers." At the risk of being too honest, I'm at the point where I'd call myself a "Nintendo fan" before I'd call myself a "video gamer," and those feelings are coming with the sense that I couldn't care less about where the rest of the industry decides to go.

So true. I miss the good ol' days of Matt and Fran. Matt would seemingly get leaks out of thin air, and Fran (a hardware design guru) would decipher it for us plebeians. Good times... :(

Matt was damn good at getting leaks. And I can't think of anyone else who would come close. IGN was the last major gaming site that I frequented, and once he and Bozon were gone, I recognized that it was time to bail from the majors for good.

I talk all the time about Nintendo needing to give the finger to the major gaming news sites, instead deciding to go more directly to the fans via Nintendo-centric fansites. In this, I kinda wish that Nintendo would leak things to them and give them breaking news before anyone else. It would certainly add a bit more of a bond between the company and the Nintendo community.

Kyoufu

For those who want to own one console it will be more than enough.

I don't think m(any) people own Nintendo consoles exclusively in this day and age. That's self-torture.

Usually people buy Nintendo for Nintendo, and Sony/MS console for 3rd party. Especially when PSN/XBL have established friend networks. I don't see this changing even with PS3/360 ports.

I don't think m(any) people own Nintendo consoles exclusively in this day and age. That's self-torture.

Usually people buy Nintendo for Nintendo, and Sony/MS console for 3rd party. Especially when PSN/XBL have established friend networks. I don't see this changing even with PS3/360 ports.
and that's the problem, it's a damn shame that it has to be that way. With the PS3 you got a ton of exclusive first party games and all the 3rd party games. Nintendo should opt for the same.

HylianTom

Banned

I'm one of those odd ducks who has only ever owned Nintendo stuff. But I do play Civilization and Elder Scrolls on PC from time to time (about 10% of my gaming diet). It certainly doesn't feel like torture. Indeed, it's been quite lovely.

Shurayuki

I'm about 80-20 hyped in favor of actually finding-out info on this system. Today has left me with a bad taste in my mouth, serving as a sharp reminder of how out of touch I feel with most "gamers." At the risk of being too honest, I'm at the point where I'd call myself a "Nintendo fan" before I'd call myself a "video gamer," and those feelings are coming with the sense that I couldn't care less about where the rest of the industry decides to go.

Oh I completely understand, it's very exciting mostly because it wouldn't seem we will know much more than now by the time the conference rolls around. The reason over here is basically that chances are pretty slim I'd be able to cough up the money to buy one during launch period :{ (tried to hold out on 3DS, but had to give up -> console purchase for the year)
Unless a nice job came flying in, maybe save german games journalism? Bring the mega-scoops? :loltothemax

Also as far as feeling in touch with the "gamers", yeah most here will know that. Just play what's fun. I won't ever forget the (actually well known among my friends) old salesman smiling and winking at me when i picked up a kirby game some years back. My beard is older than the people trying to tell me "it's da kiddeh!", who cares.

I think many are PC&Nintendo folks though, and 3rd parties should bring those ports for one of those at least, either console multiplat with ALL or PC-port (wish japanese devs could wrap their head around that next gen).
Steam has been too good to me, but so many console exclusives are missing, and it doesn't really make any sense. Except exploiting the ridiculous console (software) prices.

Linkhero1

For those who want to own one console it will be more than enough.

This. If I'm able to get the next Fallout and CoD game on Wii U with a good online network then I probably won't buy the next Xbox console. I don't play too many games anymore but these two franchises are what I want on the Wii U.

disco

Man, I just had a re-watch of the e3 2011 unveiling and it all looks so exciting and fun. All this graphics talk has really put the board in a bad state lately. I stand by the Nintendo philosophy and forward interesting and fun gameplay techniques over shallow shiny graphics. I wish people would open their minds a little bit more. It reminds me of my parents talking about modern art being crap simply because it isn't a Caravaggio. Or equally the argument between the tradition of the salon and avant garde Impressionism.

I'm one of those odd ducks who has only ever owned Nintendo stuff. But I do play Civilization and Elder Scrolls on PC from time to time (about 10% of my gaming diet). It certainly doesn't feel like torture. Indeed, it's been quite lovely.
you've missed out bud, you've missed out :p

It didn't change before because Nintendo didn't really have the things you are mentioning. GC got ports, but had no network. Wii had neither. Wii U should have a competent network and hopefully hardware competent enough for future ports. If those two things are achieved, those buying Wii U for Nintendo games may not necessarily have to do the latter for 3rd party games. If there's anything that's certain it's that if you give people enough reason to convert to something, they well.

Top Bottom