• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 |OT| "Something not quite right"

Neiteio

So I peeked ahead at some of the remaining creatures and concepts.

I know a game is memorable when I can quickly compose an epic movie poster in my head, similar to the movie posters for Star Wars.

Here's one idea, described in five parts, from top to bottom:

Part 1 (Top):

The Matriarch (white cloak) standing in a pool of white slime.

Above and behind her: Psychoplasm, rising from the pool.

Behind and above him: The Matriarch (monster form).

Behind them: The white wasteland from the grand finale.

Part 2:

Father Theodore, standing with both hands on his cane.

Behind and above him, L to R: Sadist, Keeper, Laura Reborn.

Below him: Harbinger O'Neal, flanked by two masked Harbingers.

Below them: Theodore's stronghold (Ch. 13) and cult symbol.

Below stronghold: The wall of fire, and Fire Lost emerging from it.

Part 3 (Middle):

In the middle: Sebastian, clutching a shotgun, flashlight shining.

To his right: Kidman, in jacket and jeans, pistol drawn.

To his left: Torres, aiming her assault rifle.

Below him, to his right: Sykes at his computer terminal.

Below him, to his left: O'Neal, holding a communicator.

Below him, middle: Tatiana and black cat, next to upgrade chair.

Above him, middle: Hoffman raising emitter, amid wall of fire.

Behind them: The facilities of the Marrow.

Part 4:

Aperture (camera eye in the sky), shining its blue light down.

Below it: Stefano, bathed in blue light, holding knife and camera.

To his left: The Guardian, swinging its circle saw.

To his right: Obscura, steadying its camera head.

Below them: The ghost woman, Animus, lunging forward.

Below her: A horde of Lost, L to R: Crawling, Knife, Normal, Acid, Exploding.

Behind them: The city streets of Union at night.

Part 5 (Bottom):

The STEM chamber with its tub pods; the Admin and G-Men silhouetted above.

Below it: Family portrait of Seb, Myra and Lily in better times.

Below them: Darkness, and a burning house in the distance.

The Ch. 11 fight is incredibly hard if you don't have lv. 3 smoke bolts (and at least three of them), but it's also so fun that I'm keeping a save right before that fight so I can replay it anytime. It's like one of the bosses from MGS3 (you know which one), but it's a lot more exciting and fun, imo.

I got the Lv 3 smoke, but I was aiming to destroy his tank lol.

Later I just thought it wasn't worth it because I could only get one stealth per bolt.

Neiteio

I got the Lv 3 smoke, but I was aiming to destroy his tank lol.

Later I just thought it wasn't worth it because I could only get one stealth per bolt.
You can get two stealth attacks per lv. 3 smoke bolt. Or at least, you can on the
Ch. 13 Harbingers
. Maybe it's different with the Ch. 11 boss.

Astral

The Ch. 11 fight is incredibly hard if you don't have lv. 3 smoke bolts (and at least three of them), but it's also so fun that I'm keeping a save right before that fight so I can replay it anytime. It's like one of the bosses from MGS3 (you know which one), but it's a lot more exciting and fun, imo.

The fight was fun for me until I died about three times and spent almost all of my ammo. I really need to hoard smoke bolts in my next playthrough.

Neiteio

When I left off last night, I was on Ch. 13. I'm already pumped to do a New Game Plus run on the same difficulty (Nightmare). It's going to feel SO GOOD ransacking Union with all of my weapon and character upgrades. Also will experiment more with certain abilities and weapons in the second run.

DeaDPo0L84

4WNZx01g.jpg

I can't remember but was this an unlock for Nightmare Mode or is it only for completing Classic Mode?

I have never seen people be so loose with spoilers than this OT, isn't there a spoiler thread for posting straight up end game scenes?

Neiteio

I have never seen people be so loose with spoilers than this OT, isn't there a spoiler thread for posting straight up end game scenes?
What is Nemesis spoiling exactly? That Seb has a daughter? Neither you nor I know the context of that shot because neither of us have finished the game. It just shows us what we already know - that Seb had or has a daughter.

RRockman

Banned
I can't believe you thought posting this was a good idea. I don't care about the story in this game at all, but I'm sure plenty of others do.

End card doesn't mean anything.
There has been plenty of games with bad endings that choose to use a picture from happier times as an endcard.

In Chapter 6, is it worth it to take down the
Guardian in the gas station area? The last fight with her tore through all my ammo and this encounter doesn’t seem like it’s mandatory. Should I ignore her?

TentPole

There has been plenty of games with bad endings that choose to use a picture from happier times as an endcard.

Ending spoilers:
It doesn’t matter what other games do. In this game that end card is a huge spoiler literally showing the state of the characters after the ending. There is no harm in just tagging it.

Classic save #3
Well last time I posted that I "saved" my game crashed and I had to redo the entire section over. Was able to make it back and advance further this time around.
Saves
1. Before Warehouse searching for Lily Chapter 3
2. Chapter 5 Right before chainsaw lady
3. Chapter 7 Before Stefano fight

Obscura boss fight is relatively easy even on nightmare. There is a QTE style event where you have to shoot the sludge monster in the head 4-5 times that could also mess you up playing this mode. In chapter 7 I avoided literally everything--focused on Stefano's paintings and ran like hell from the chainsaw ladies who now wander the streets.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I am worried this post is sarcastic ;_; I can remove it if people want, I didn't realise it was going to upset people..
Bro, no - you're a solid as fuck poster! No sarcasm

BadWolf

I defeated him by playing ring around the rosie with the one singular pillar, spaming all of my bolts lol. Eventually I found the turning angle to dodge his charge.

Pretty high stakes because his melee does like 1/3 of my health.

Good stuff!

Ok Chapter 14's end fight was amazing.

Funny thing is that I didn't pay attention to the build up from the beginning of the chapter. I was like oh these areas look neat, so nostalgic, but at least I don't have to fight that
stupid cow
again.

And then the boss fight messed not only with
Seb's fears but mine too
;_;

Man, this game is really growing on me. STEM is such a fantastic setup for a gameworld.

Very much agreed, it's fantastic for this genre and really lets them go all out with messing the player up.

In Chapter 6, is it worth it to take down the
Guardian in the gas station area? The last fight with her tore through all my ammo and this encounter doesn't seem like it's mandatory. Should I ignore her?

Not worth it at all, just gives you 5K gel and that's it.

Nemesis_

Classic save #3
Well last time I posted that I "saved" my game crashed and I had to redo the entire section over. Was able to make it back and advance further this time around.
Saves
1. Before Warehouse searching for Lily Chapter 3
2. Chapter 5 Right before chainsaw lady
3. Chapter 7 Before Stefano fight

Obscura boss fight is relatively easy even on nightmare. There is a QTE style event where you have to shoot the sludge monster in the head 4-5 times that could also mess you up playing this mode. In chapter 7 I avoided literally everything--focused on Stefano's paintings and ran like hell from the chainsaw ladies who now wander the streets.

Yeah the Obscura can also OHK you too though so that's why I've always been nervous around her.

Bro, no - you're a solid as fuck poster! No sarcasm

Thanks 😍

I am stuck

I am in this circle room with 4 doors, that keep repeating themselves, also that scary witch lady is there

Look at the mirror, you can see that one of the lights over the doors is iluminated,
you have to go throught that door. Any other door will repeat the scene.

What's the point of the ammo pouches on nightmare?

Seriously, I keep finding upgrades that allow me to hold more ammo, but I'm never close to reaching any sort of maximum.

Alright, that's good to know. Though regardless if it's indicative of the ending or not, it does put expectations in your head which can still be annoying.

dlauv

So, it seems Predator bugs out at a high FOV. It seemed to work just fine on 65-70, but I have it on 80 right now and sometimes the icon phases in and out.

What's the point of the ammo pouches on nightmare?

Seriously, I keep finding upgrades that allow me to hold more ammo, but I'm never close to reaching any sort of maximum.

There is none.

Astral

Cleared the game on Nightmare Mode, 25:47:48. Fuck yeah at the
classic outfit
. Overall, I think it’s great. The first game is better in a lot of ways though. I’d say it has more highs than this one. I think matches should’ve stayed, traps should’ve definitely stayed, and some of the encounters in the first game blow every encounter in this game away. The art direction was stronger in the first game too.

I wish this game had kept the atmosphere from the first half. That’s probably my biggest complaint. Stefano had such a twisted and disturbing motif. I absolutely loved chapters 2 and 5.
Theodore’s hellscape did nothing for me. When chapter 9 started, I thought I was playing Doom. It was so out of place.

The story was a hell of a lot better.
Chapter 17 was very emotional and I was afraid Kidman was gonna die the entire time. But goddammit I was waiting for Ruvik to show up the entire game lol. I guess it wouldn’t have made sense at all though. I thought that since he escaped with Leslie’s body, he would somehow have the world STEM created manifest in the real world. I thought that’s what this game was gonna be about before the trailers. No Joseph was disappointing too. I guess he’s really dead.

Shock bolts and smoke bolts are the best weapons in the game. So good. What a strange decision to make the
magnum
and endgame unlockable. The final boss was also great. It really surprised me. Such an improvement over the first game’s.

So yeah, great game. It could’ve really used the dirtier, more grotesque look of the first game imo. If the first game had this game’s cover system and no cheap deaths, it’d be near perfect.

jett

D-Member
It's funny reaching Chapter 13 AFTER
you've completely massacred every single monster in the area.

I'm about 18 hours in, I assume I'm near the end. You know, even the combat has grown on me, now that I'm decently upgraded. It's just not very much fun for a large portion of the game. Handgun is just way too useless, that's really this game's numero uno problem for me, it's a real drag the first hours of the game. Everything else is kinda great though. I'm consistently impressed by how good the game looks.

I played the first Evil Within for about 2 hours and just didnt like anything about, im 5 hours into Evil Within 2 and im loving it.

Anyone else here the same way?

dlauv

Maxed out Seb on my second playthrough, just before
Fire Walk With Me

This game is honestly just the fuckin' best. If they find some way to tighten the combat then they'll have the best thing ever with the third game. I can already imagine the premise being some kind of ultimate B-movie excuse to bring Seb back, but they'll likely go with someone new.

Combat feels decent at 65 fov (default for PC and PS4), 30 sensitivity on both x and y axises. But they could do a lot more in terms of feedback, quirky weapon functionality, and control.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I played the first Evil Within for about 2 hours and just didnt like anything about, im 5 hours into Evil Within 2 and im loving it.

Same here, I quit the first game after about 2.5 hours and I'm on chapter 11 now in TEW2. I'm actually planning to revisit the first game at some point.

just finished the game, took me about 20 hours, explored almost everything

The evil within 1 was criminally underrated, it was amazing

but The evil within 2 is a HUGE disappointment for me, i expected much more than this

it's a step backward on every possible way

the gameplay has gotten worse, controls are fucked up, it's like they are glitched or something, camera is fucked up, gunplay is significantly downgraded from the first game, i'm not feeling the shots, the enemies are not reacting properly to the shots, hitboxes are fucked up, sometimes i shoot them and it misses even though i'm sure i aimed at them, especially when they get very close to you, bosses are bad and forgetable (except the final boss), the pacing is insanely boring, it heavily depends on stealth or you will run out of ammo, and the stealth is basic as fuck

the open sandbox was a big mistake, it's obvious that it effected the game's quality, the story is the only improvement from the first game, everything else is a much worse

The evil within 1 is like the MUCH better sequel to The evil within 2

open world is the FPS of this generation, apparently every game has to be open world or semi-open world now
This has been my experience too. The controls just haven't been clicking for me.

BadWolf

Handgun is just way too useless, that's really this game's numero uno problem for me, it's a real drag the first hours of the game. Everything else is kinda great though. I'm consistently impressed by how good the game looks.

Not at all, it was easily my fave weapon.

It's all about getting the critical shot upgrade and precision shooting at weak spots. Lost count of how many enemies I beheaded with a single shot. You can also shoot them in the legs to make them trip and then stomp for the kill.

If you just use it to shoot at the center mass or wherever then yeah, it won't be that good.

The game is honestly very easy to recommend to players that didn't click with the first game, feels like the devs put a lot of work and thought in that direction.

DeaDPo0L84

What is Nemesis spoiling exactly? That Seb has a daughter? Neither you nor I know the context of that shot because neither of us have finished the game. It just shows us what we already know - that Seb had or has a daughter.

We wait so long for these games to come out that some people find any minute detail to be spoilerish. Simply saying we don't know the context so therefore it's not a spoiler could get a little tricky. With that said I could post a random shot from a cutscene and simply not give any detail but it'd still be a spoiler regardless if I tell you exactly what's happening in the particular scene. People like to experience things fresh is all regardless how big or small. Not arguing the point as you mentioned it's not a big spoiler but all the same I feel some have played fast and loose with spoilers in this OT.

Drewfonse

Just beat it in 14.5 hrs. Really conflicted about my overall feelings. On one hand, there were some really interesting themes and gameplay sequences, much better story and audio/visual presentation compared to TEW...but the actual gameplay left me a little cold. And the ending,
while somewhat poignant, was so drawn out and overwrought,that I just was waiting for it to finally wrap up.

A lot of my issues had to do with the imprecise, heavy aimng and ridiculously zoomed in FOV (PS4), which robbed the game any sense of fluidity. So many times I shot 5 rounds at a lurching, rapidly closing enemy, only to miss all or most of them. Kinda made me rage a little, and I honestly lowered the difficulty to Casual at Chapter
, just because I wanted to plow through quickly. And I'm a seasoned 3rd person shooter/action game player. The controls really were terrible. And the voice acting was almost uniformly bad, particularly Torres and Hoffman.

Overall, I'm glad I experienced it, but there is zero chance I'll want to replay this.

BadWolf

A lot of my issues had to do with the imprecise, heavy aimng and ridiculously zoomed in FOV (PS4), which robbed the game any sense of fluidity.

Just curious, did you speed up the camera movement speed (which also speeds up aiming speed) and increase the FOV in options?

Ah, that's a bummer.

I upped both options quite a bit the moment I started the game and never looked back.

I actually strongly recommend not to increase FOV cuz that is hallmark for Evil Within. Especially if you crank it all the way down, it kinda looks like Alan Wake and the immersion is reduced imo.

Started a new playthrough with higher FOV and letterboxing just gives it that TEW vibes.

Skulldead

And done on nightmare after 22 hours and 42 minutes.

Some good stuff, and some bad....

Didn't like the ending at all, i'm not going to spoil anything,

You were all right, chapter
was freaking amazing, one of the highlight of the game.

Edit: i think the semi-open world complain are legit, at first i was like this is really good and fun, but it fall short after halfway, like i can feel the time restrain, it show real hard. Spoiler here :
why the hell the re-use chapter 7 layout for chapter 13, this is where i was like, this is the time the game get over, if don't have time to make anoter semi-open world area, just don't do it and go direct to the point Also only 4 sidequest ? It feel so last minute add-on, they were nice because they send us in new area for most of them.
Also the computer world thing could have been way more complex and fun to explore with multiple interconnection, they really miss the mark on that one.

Cramoss

just finished the game, took me about 20 hours, explored almost everything

The evil within 1 was criminally underrated, it was amazing

but The evil within 2 is a HUGE disappointment for me, i expected much more than this

it's a step backward on every possible way

the gameplay has gotten worse, controls are fucked up, it's like they are glitched or something, camera is fucked up, gunplay is significantly downgraded from the first game, i'm not feeling the shots, the enemies are not reacting properly to the shots, hitboxes are fucked up, sometimes i shoot them and it misses even though i'm sure i aimed at them, especially when they get very close to you, bosses are bad and forgetable (except the final boss), the pacing is insanely boring, it heavily depends on stealth or you will run out of ammo, and the stealth is basic as fuck

the open sandbox was a big mistake, it's obvious that it effected the game's quality, the story is the only improvement from the first game, everything else is a much worse

The evil within 1 is like the MUCH better sequel to The evil within 2

open world is the FPS of this generation, apparently every game has to be open world or semi-open world now

It wasn't a huge dissapointment for me, I really enjoyed exploring but still, I agree with you on everything else (the art direction was also stronger on the first one)

Only the
magnum
and shotgun felt good

LegendX48

It's just not very much fun for a large portion of the game. Handgun is just way too useless, that's really this game's numero uno problem for me, it's a real drag the first hours of the game. Everything else is kinda great though. I'm consistently impressed by how good the game looks.
Handguns are consistently the crappiest weapons in all of survival horror, 2nd only to the knife. It's no real surprise to find it rather poor here as well as it basically feels like a mandatory genre staple at this point lol

That said, upgrading crit on it works wonders.

Cleared the game on Nightmare Mode, 25:47:48. Fuck yeah at the
classic outfit
. Overall, I think it’s great. The first game is better in a lot of ways though. I’d say it has more highs than this one. I think matches should’ve stayed, traps should’ve definitely stayed, and some of the encounters in the first game blow every encounter in this game away. The art direction was stronger in the first game too.

I wish this game had kept the atmosphere from the first half. That’s probably my biggest complaint. Stefano had such a twisted and disturbing motif. I absolutely loved chapters 2 and 5.
Theodore’s hellscape did nothing for me. When chapter 9 started, I thought I was playing Doom. It was so out of place.

The story was a hell of a lot better.
Chapter 17 was very emotional and I was afraid Kidman was gonna die the entire time. But goddammit I was waiting for Ruvik to show up the entire game lol. I guess it wouldn’t have made sense at all though. I thought that since he escaped with Leslie’s body, he would somehow have the world STEM created manifest in the real world. I thought that’s what this game was gonna be about before the trailers. No Joseph was disappointing too. I guess he’s really dead.

Shock bolts and smoke bolts are the best weapons in the game. So good. What a strange decision to make the
magnum
and endgame unlockable. The final boss was also great. It really surprised me. Such an improvement over the first game’s.

So yeah, great game. It could’ve really used the dirtier, more grotesque look of the first game imo. If the first game had this game’s cover system and no cheap deaths, it’d be near perfect.

Nope
. You need to get all the projector slides.

BadWolf

I actually strongly recommend not to increase FOV cuz that is hallmark for Evil Within. Especially if you crank it all the way down, it kinda looks like Alan Wake and the immersion is reduced imo.

Started a new playthrough with higher FOV and letterboxing just gives it that TEW vibes.

Will try it on my next playthrough :)

Top Bottom