• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Boy Micro <3 Thread

Valtox

Powerslave said:
You mean there aren't many good gba games? I always had an image that the gba was a goldmine for underrated platformer-type games and rpgs like golden sun, zelda etc. I just played Knytt, and thought to myself that theres bound to be even better games than that on the gbm....Tell me more about the gba game library
Oh and isnt gbm capable of playing gbc games? Not even with an emulator?
Those games you talk about are commercial: you dl the rom and play trough the flash cart as if you had the original.
Homebrew means fan-made games with no copyrights that you can easily find on dedicated web sites.
What I said is that the GBA Homebrew scene is poor if compared to other consoles and does not pay the price of the flash cart in terms of fun.
The commercial games library is exacly as you said. Tons of games: platformers, rpgs, tactical rpgs, 16 bit ports, Wario games, Advance Wars games etc.
Having tons of games at once (to put in the flash cart) can bring to lose interest in a matter of time: for example you try a lot of them without finishing one, it depends.

Whoa awesome!
You live in Italy? How did they get so cheap over there...
Well if you would be kind to take some pictures of the thing so I can take a look at it, I might consider it. Im definitely interested in your offer though. The thing im worried about is shipping costs and how I should pay you. Don't have a creditcard or paypal etc. or anything. Maybe you can enlighten me more about this.
I think that w/ postage it would be more or less 50€
Unfortunately I dont have a camera to take a picture. The shop where I bought mine had silver and pink models, you can find picture online or even in this thread.
I tried to find some online shops with similar offers so you could deal directly with them, but no results for now.
When I'll go to that Carrefour store where i bought mine, if they are still there, I'll PM you.
In the meantime, get a debit card: you'll need it to order games from Play-Asia (Sound Voyager first) ;)

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Got mine in yesterday and I decided to take some pics. I don't think they're as good as other pics posted here (some are sharper than others), but it's all part of Operation Make People Get GBM right?

gbm1.jpg

gbm2.jpg

gbm3.jpg

gbm4.jpg

gbm5.jpg

gbm6.jpg

gbm7.jpg

gbm8.jpg

arcader

Banned
Darunia said:
Got mine in yesterday and I decided to take some pics. I don't think they're as good as other pics posted here (some are sharper than others), but it's all part of Operation Make People Get GBM right?

Lovely silvver on silver pix - what the game with MArio and Luigi in the giant mecha bowsers mouth?

Lee N

Membre
Oh, and Darunia.. try taking pictures of the screen with the macro feature on your camera enabled (it's usually indicated by a flower). It should make for nicer pics.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Lee N said:
Oh, and Darunia.. try taking pictures of the screen with the macro feature on your camera enabled (it's usually indicated by a flower). It should make for nicer pics.

Oh thanks, I'll try that some time. Yeah you can probably see I don't know jack squat about digital cameras

arcader

Banned
ill have to get that superstar saga game - i like the look...

OK here is some controversy...

Who plays their GBA more than their DS?

<<< - raises hand

uncleslappy

nethack is my favorite dark souls clone
I remember being totally against this thing when it was announced at E3. At the time it was the same price as a Gamecube, and the GBA library was slowly dying. I will say that Nintendo put it out too late to be successful, however - when I turned it on, I was amazed at the clarity. Play Warioware (The first one) on a standard GBA SP, and then try it on the GBM - the difference is astounding. The smaller screen makes the pixelization less noticeable, plus the brightness is bordering on blinding. I bought the black system with the silver faceplate the first day it came out, then shortly after, ordered the black faceplate from Nintendo.com (it looks like a mini PSP now). My only 2 issues are that dust constantly gets stuck behind the screen and I have to remove the faceplate to wipe it off. If I carried it around in one of those GBM Socks, I'd be fine, but I'm lazy like that; and secondly, there is no way to connect it to the Cube/Wii for PacMan Vs. (one of the best games EVER) - so I recently bought one of SPs with the lighter screen. Overall, though it is a very underappreciated system.

Odrion

Banned
arcader said:

<<< - raises hand

<<< - Now I do.

Going through my back collection. Now on Metroid Zero Mission.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Dammit, I want one, but my only beef is that I already own a revised SP and the screen on the Micro is an inch smaller than the already-small GBA/SP screen. Gotta admit it's sexy though. Decisions, decisions...

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Couple more with macro enabled

gbm9.jpg

gbm10.jpg

gbm11.jpg

Only complaints I have so far are shoulder-button related. I was beating a boss in Metroid Fusion yesterday, and there you need to rely on keeping R pressed a lot... it got pretty cramped for my fingers. I also don't understand why the edges aren't clickable, you have to actually push the upper part. Otherwise this thing is great, immediately bought Drill Dozer off Ebay to get into some more GBA goodness.

Valtox

arcader said:

<<< - raises hand
Simply the best game on GBA! :)
It's by far better than the DS sequel.

I raise my hand; DS is getting dust from the day I got my micro.
The only time I used it in the last MONTH was a week ago whern my micro was out of batteries and I had to play Drill Dozer (quite a good game).
Another great couple of weeks of micro-play was when I resumed Super Mario World to finish it 100%: all the secret exit, AND ALL THE YOSHI'S COINS! ^_^
Now I'm enjoying WarioWare Twisted and waiting for Orbital from P-A.
Then I don't know.. Maybe it will be time for some more Zelda LTTP (finished when it came off on GBA),
or some DS games at last, like Contact

Lee N

Membre
Darunia said:
Only complaints I have so far are shoulder-button related.
Personally, I was pleasantly surprised when I noticed the way the shoulder-buttons were designed on the micro. Seeing as it is that small, it makes sense not having to curl up your fingers on the edge of the shoulder-buttons, but instead makes you able to click where it's the most comfortable.

At least for me.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I like the silver too... but I would like it even better with a black faceplate. Only finding one of these is proving difficult. Nintendo EU doesn't have a store and the US one doesn't ship to Europe. No succes with Ebay either.

I am thinking of buying the bitGenerations series. I have been waiting in futility for Nintendo to release them in PAL land. But I just watched a few videos on YouTube, and they seem to be entirely in English. I have a scary feeling, they will soon be out of print, and ebay prices will be high. Plus I hate ebay. Second hand ftl.

Q1) Are the manual's in English?
Q2) Wasn't there a box set released of all 7 games?
Q3) How much will shipping and tax be? Its going to cost me just under £60 for all.

mrkgoo

Darunia said:
I like the silver too... but I would like it even better with a black faceplate. Only finding one of these is proving difficult. Nintendo EU doesn't have a store and the US one doesn't ship to Europe. No succes with Ebay either.

Did you buy this second hand?

here, the Silver GBA micro comes with a black faceplate as a spare.

All the colours (black, green, purple, red, blue, silver), come with the same coloured face plate, plus a spare of another colour.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
mrkgoo said:
Did you buy this second hand?

here, the Silver GBA micro comes with a black faceplate as a spare.

All the colours (black, green, purple, red, blue, silver), come with the same coloured face plate, plus a spare of another colour.

I just looked at the contents text on the box, and spare faceplates aren't mentioned...

jluedtke

KidOmega said:
WHERE CAN IS STILL FIND ONE!? I really want one. What stores still carry them?

I saw a ton of them at Best Buy the other day.

the thoroughbred said:
Q1) Are the manual's in English?

No manuals (that I remember). But yes, the games are very English friendly and you won't have need for manuals.

mrkgoo

Darunia said:
I just looked at the contents text on the box, and spare faceplates aren't mentioned...

Really? This is euro, right? I swear it even says on the box...

*checks old photos*

dsc02800gs7.jpg

dsc02801xp1.jpg

Yup, text right on the box, and on the end of the box, a logo of the two face plates describing the colours (maybe can't see in these scaled down shots).

mrkgoo

nny said:
My Euro box (bought recently..I blame this thread ^^):

No faceplates :/

Hmm...is this how it ahs always been in Euro? Or did they just recently start packaging the system without the extra faceplate?

I love the micro. My dream one is to get a red one with silver faceplate.

womp

You bastards are making this tough for me...

Does Wal*Mart still sell them in store? Especially the 20th anniversary one?

I prefer my DS Lite but I'd love to have one of these just to keep in my pocket to pull out at work or wherever my DS cannot go.

MoxManiac

womp said:
You bastards are making this tough for me...

Does Wal*Mart still sell them in store? Especially the 20th anniversary one?

I prefer my DS Lite but I'd love to have one of these just to keep in my pocket to pull out at work or wherever my DS cannot go.

i got mine at walmart shortly after FF6 came out. Mine had a crapload left in the case. I didn't see any 20th anniversary ones though.

I have a DSlite but honestly I play my GBA games on the micro now. It rocks

womp

MoxManiac said:
i got mine at walmart shortly after FF6 came out. Mine had a crapload left in the case. I didn't see any 20th anniversary ones though.

I have a DSlite but honestly I play my GBA games on the micro now. It rocks

Yeah I'd love to play PocketNES on this thing, would be perfect for a round or two of Balloon Fight on my lunch breaks. GBA doesn't feel right to me on the DS although the DS is my preferred system and I hate the fact my GBA carts are just laying around.

I don't recall seeing the Micro at either of my local Wal*Mart's ever...I may be out of luck. :(

Are they in the case by the GBA and DS stuff or behind the counter? Drat.

quick question about ordering faceplates on nintendos site, do they include the tool to get the screen off with the actual faceplates? it wasnt in the box for the micro and im going to order the black faceplate.

we bought one few weeks ago after my girlfriend got the mp3 player for DS/GB!
I said to her it would be better to use a gbm instead of the DS (we've got no DSLs, we don't like them!).
So we went out to look for gbm. Nowhere to get one! amazon wanted to get 90 bucks for it! we drove around half a day till we got one for 55€, should be around 72$ i think.

From that moment on we were in love! I saw it already @ Games Convention 05 i think, but 150 bucks were too expensive for a second Gameboy. So I never got an idea of thinking about bying one! But now, when we already got one, we loved it this much.

Anyway, yesterday amazon mailed the newsletter and they got new gbm in stock! I ordered another one yet!

In my opinion playing gba games is quite much better on the gbm than on the ds! and as a small mp3 player it can nearly reach an ipo nano :D

japtor

Powerslave said:
Oh and isnt gbm capable of playing gbc games? Not even with an emulator?
ive only tried 2 games (motocross maniacs 2 and toki tori) and they both ran a little slow. playable, but slow. i saw a compatibility list somewhere, and there were some that ran 'perfectly,' so its a game by game thing. ive only tried one gbx game (gb with gbc enhancement), tetris dx. its full speed, with some minor issues, like one or two colors and the graphic layering on the endings are wrong. nothing that has impacted gameplay. otherwise theres an nes emulator, and a few others, but i havent tried anything else.

as for homebrew, there are a few good ones, but yeah its definitely lacking compared to psp or ds. the gba homebrew world seems to have switched entirely to ds stuff now unfortunately. there are a few good ones, two of them being ports: super star shooter is a good port of super star soldiers caravan mode, and bust a move is a port of the original. sudoku micro is decent, but i think ive gotten some unsolvable puzzles out of it. hazardball is another one of the cleaner homebrew games.

about the faceplates, they originally came with 2 extra in the us, and i guess one in europe according to you guys. i dont know when they took out the extras, but i think it was when they reduced the official price to 70 or whatever, in the us at least. the famicom never come with any extras iirc.

to get them off without the tool, i just use a paperclip and bend the ends so they line up with the holes. ghetto but it works.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Linkzg said:
quick question about ordering faceplates on nintendos site, do they include the tool to get the screen off with the actual faceplates? it wasnt in the box for the micro and im going to order the black faceplate.

Yes, I have like 5 spare tools. :lol

Lee N

Membre
Powerslave said:
http://micro.gameboy.com/

skip the intro.... look at the gbm in the middle, is that the size of it irl??

Linkzg said:
im not holding my micro to the screen or anything, but just putting my thumbs upto it, it seems about right if not a little smaller

Mejilan said:
The one on the screen is slightly smaller.
err.. obviously you can't make a comparison like that as it depends on the size of your monitor and what screen resolution you're running. At 2048x1536 on my 22" monitor, the gbm on the webpage is about 50% of the real deal.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Lee N said:
err.. obviously you can't make a comparison like that as it depends on the size of your monitor and what screen resolution you're running. At 2048x1536 on my 22" monitor, the gbm on the webpage is about 50% of the real deal.

Yeah, I realized that shortly after posting. At 1280x1024 (19" SD Monitor), the on-screen GBm is a smidge smaller than the real deal.

Lee N

Membre
Mejilan said:
Yeah, I realized that shortly after posting. At 1280x1024, the on-screen GBm is a smidge smaller than the real deal.
.. at what screen size? 1280x1024 on a 15" monitor would make the micro much smaller than the real deal, while 1280x1024 on a 22" monitor would make it look gigantic.

Actually, with 'homebrew' I mean stuff like GBA emulators, not homemade games. So for once and for all, confirm/deny: Is it possible to play pirated GBA games? (meaning downloading them on a special cartridge).

Lee N

Membre
Powerslave said:
Actually, with 'homebrew' I mean stuff like GBA emulators, not homemade games. So for once and for all, confirm/deny: Is it possible to play pirated GBA games? (meaning downloading them on a special cartridge).
b&

Powerslave said:

godhandbannedvc7.gif

Jacobi

Banned
Ouch. So anyway, yesterday when I was drunk thought about this : With a Micro and a Play-yan and some portable boxes you could build an awesome
ghettoblasterhz0.jpg

Gotta do this someday...
You could also use TWO micros or THREE so when one's energy is used or there aren't any coo songs on it, you just swap.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
nny said:
My Euro box (bought recently..I blame this thread ^^):

*pic*

No faceplates :/

Same. My box looks like this, with contents (not my pic thouh):

c40e_1_sbl.JPG

no faceplates

me swindled total, I want a goddamn black one :(

Jacobi

Banned
That's because NoE people are ****heads. They thought "Oh, how could we rape our customers today ? I GOT IT ! Let's exclude that whole faceplate shit, no one wants a Micro anyway *tihi*. Oh and let's NOT release a black Micro."

I imported mine from Texas...

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Yeah it's unbelievable isn't it. Just when I thought this was one piece of hardware that would have no differences pack-in wise in comparison to the rest, you get this. Damn their oily hides.

Anyway, if there's a good samaritan out there who doesn't mind ordering a black faceplate from the nintendo store and shipping it to Europe, I would be forever in your dept.

Top Bottom