• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

Jackano

So it costs $180 to make Wii U (including cost of controller) and they are targeting no less than $300.

Man Nintendo will make quite a hefty profit if that's the case.

Oh s** it's unbelievable to still read this kind of comment / reaction for the same kind of somewhat stupid article or so called "study".

The $180 is estimated for the materials alone. It will cost money to assemble it, ship it, pack it etc. etc.

Thank you!

Oddduck

Oh s** it's unbelievable to still read this kind of comment / reaction for the same kind of somewhat stupid article or so called "study".

Thank you!

Well I apologize for my "stupid comment".

I expect Nintendo to at least try to make a $40 - $50 profit per console sold.

With investors breathing down Nintendo's neck, Nintendo will make sure Wii U makes a profit and not just break even on costs.

I'm sure by now they have a rough idea of what most of the materials/components will cost. In early June, they will give us the retail price, so they'll need to know the BoM to give that retail price.

Hold your horses there! Nintendo usually NEVER gives release dates for new handhelds/consoles on E3. I'm not saying it wont happen. Maybe they will, but they havent in the past, so chances aren't exactly very high for that happening...

Redford

aka Cabbie
Would Nintendo take a modular approach to Wii U later in it's life cycle? Say the tablet controller isn't a hit, which I think is a fair possibility.

Aside from having the Wii remotes being compatible, Nintendo could use the power of the Wii U as the base for their future ideas. I don't think that the fate of the console rests on the shoulders of the tablet.

That sort of led nowhere, but it was on my mind.

NeoRausch

Besides the increasing number of system faults these devices have these days, I've always heard that Nintendo really takes care of their customers when there's a problem like this. Which is great, I had to go through hell (talking to people I didn't understand) trying to get my first RRoD console replaced.
Also, at least here in europe, their service is incedible fast.

Send my defect wii out on a monday, had a new one on friday. I was thinking more like two weeks or more. That was a pleasent surprise.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
My launch Wii worked perfectly until TLS double layer disc arrived few weeks ago. Cleaning the lens was enough. Really happy about it, honeslty.
Especially considering my disadventures with my two 360s...

About the cost-price: I really hope they avoid the same mistake done with the 3ds, placing the "package" at the right price (to me Wii at 250 with remote-nunchak + wii sport was good, 3DS at the same price, not so good - to me the right price should have been 200 at launch).

I'd prefer a console more powerful than the Wii compared to the future competitors, with a cost of 300 €, but I could also accept another Wii-like console (power-wise) at 250 €, if there are games supporting it. At 350 € probably I'll wait in any case, indipendently from the power or the games.

As I did for the HD twins (I'm not necessarily an addicted of launch-purchase)

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I don't believe the $349 thing for a second. I can't believe they'd be dumb enough to make that mistake after the 3DS debacle.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
3DS camera are so shit, it's embarrassing. Who could possibly enjoy taking photos with that thing?

Weirdest thing is, in a IGN test, the Vita's cameras were even worse - same resolution - slightly blurrier - plus, they don't have the 3D gimmick going on.

Oddduck

Hold your horses there! Nintendo usually NEVER gives release dates for new handhelds/consoles on E3. I'm not saying it wont happen. Maybe they will, but they havent in the past, so chances aren't exactly very high for that happening...

http://m.ign.com/articles/1166820

"Nintendo's big announcements of E3 2001 were therefore almost all Cube-related. Colors, pricing and release date were confirmed. Games were announced. A launch line-up started to take shape. "

And they didn't announce 3DS's launch date or price at E3 because 3DS was not coming out in 2010. They only wanted to focus on stuff coming out for holiday season 2010.

The Wii U is coming out THIS YEAR. Big difference.

Instro

Seems unlikely to have BoM for something that hasn't gone into production yet. $180 sounds plausible, prior to adding in other costs, but I doubt it.

Oddduck

The Wii launched 2006. No launch details were given E3 2006...

Every console has a different situation.

I think people shouldn't keep using the Wii as an example of how Nintendo will handle Wii U.

Wii U is under criticism by analysts and more importantly, investors. They need to let the cat out of the bag on all information.

I expect them to handle announcements slightly differently than Wii's 2006 E3.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
The Wii launched 2006. No launch details were given E3 2006...
Exactly. Price and launch date were given at the Wii preview event on the 14th of September 2006.

http://press.nintendo.com/object?id=10345

Username: guest
Password: nintendo

One thing I have also noticed about the press site is that it is relatively difficult to find any Wii U information there. There's nothing on front page and E3 2011 doesn't even appear in the event listings (you find it if you search though). Of course there is the press kit supplied at E3 2011, but I don't find any link to that on Nintendo's media server: http://media.nintendo.com/pressroom/E32011/index.html

It would seem ridiculous for them not to know what most of the components of the Wii U costs by now.

Especially after delivering final development kits to developers.
But dev kits are not retail kits. And even then things can change between now and when they start production. Saying they have a BoM now is ridiculous.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Here we go again!

An anonymous source with close ties to Nintendo believes that they know how much Nintendo’s manufacturing costs are for Wii U, and also how much the system will retail for when it makes its debut sometime after this years E3 event in June.

Total cost of materials to manufacture the Wii U console (includes cost of controller) is estimated to be around $180
Controller’s total bill of materials and components costs no more than $50
Wii U will be no less than $300 when it launches- NFC capabilities for each new Wii U controller costs no more than $5 to implement
Price of NFC implementation in mobile devices is expected to fall below $1 in the near future
Microsoft’s Kinect cost $56 after tearing it apart
Wii U controller’s cost of materials would be slightly less than what Kinect cost

To my shame, I didn't realise the exact same rumour was posted above. Facepalm.

http://mynintendonews.com/2012/04/0...ring-detailed-system-to-retail-for-under-300/

axisofweevils

Oh and NWR's report from PAX East

While no one would confirm anything directly to me, games such as Sega and Arkedo's Hell Yeah and Gajin Games' Runner 2 are, at a minimum, seemingly being considered for Nintendo's next system. In the fantastic indie area (the best part of the show floor, in my eyes), almost every developer has an eye towards Wii U's downloadable platform. Some of them are ready to jump in, while others, such as DrinkBox Studios (responsible for the fantastic Vita launch title Mutant Blobs Attack), are waiting to see what happens. If the eShop is any indication of Wii U's direction, the system should be populated with quality, at least as much as Xbox Live Arcade and SEN.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/blog/29746

AzaK

I didn't know that, thanks. I thought somebody must have thrown together the PS2/Xbox/GCN failure rates into a chart and did the same for this gen, and saw how they compared. I guess not, but anyway thanks I didn't know that.

This is 10000% true. For all intents and purposes MS ran the ultimate heist of gamer dollars with their RRoD scandal, and sat on their hands for a full year before implementing the 3 year coverage for RRoD. And where were the "gaming journalists" then?

Yeah it still baffles me how MS got away with that bullshit. I would have expected a massive class action lawsuit or the appropriate authorities to nail their balls to the wall but no one did. Especially not journalists. They fawned over it like it was the second coming of the messiah all the while calling Nintendo a bunch of has-beens.

axisofweevils

Yeah it still baffles me how MS got away with that bullshit. I would have expected a massive class action lawsuit or the appropriate authorities to nail their balls to the wall but no one did. Especially not journalists. They fawned over it like it was the second coming of the messiah all the while calling Nintendo a bunch of has-beens.

Same goes for the abysmal Vita Heaven. The only place where I've seen comments saying it sucked was on NeoGAF. If Nintendo had dared do something similar in Nintendo Direct, there would be hell to pay.

AzaK

When?
Also...
Why are people taking this as fact? Some no name site looking for hits makes up a rumor. Whoopty doo.
But isn't that how Wii U news goes Ace? Anonymous info is taken for fact and info from public people is ignored? It's the 'new games journalism'!!

I really want to start a rumor about something, let everyone report it and then come out a week later and say: "Haha, it was me! Folled you all!"

Just to prove how easy you can get those "journalists" to report something...

I would spread the rumor that the Xbox720 forces you to use Kinect on its dashboard to save battery on the new controller,. because the HD screen uses so much of it :D

axisofweevils

Not really. $180 BoM, plus manufacturing, packaging, documentation, logistics, tax and retailer markup -> ~$300 at retail. Seems sound.

Yep. I was being sarcastic, but it won't be long before someone claims that - for real.

A bill of materials on the controller should be pretty easyto do as we pretty much know what it contains and about 50 bucks we've heard before but seeing as we have little information on the machine itself they just pulled it out of their ass

fernoca

I agree. Nintendo were seriously taking the piss with those cameras. It was downright offensive tbh.
In some aspects yeah. But at the same time, is related to costs. For example, the Vita has the same camera-resolution (.3MP at 640x480).

Guess both now that the cameras main use are usually secondaries and for small AR games; so save some of the costs with that.

Thraktor

There was a bit of talk earlier about releasing HD versions of Gamecube games via download, and it's something I've been thinking about for a while, so I figure I may as well post my thoughts on the matter.

First, though, a bit about the Virtual Console on Wii U in general.

Virtual Console

There's no technical reason why the entire Wii VC collection shouldn't be available day one on the Wii U. The console is backwards compatible with Wii software, and all the VC games are Wii software. Hopefully they'll have the full lot on day 1 (it'd be a good selling point), and then upgrade them with save states/etc. later on, as they're doing with the 3DS ambassador games. I am a little worried that they'll redo the emulation from scratch, though, and we'll end up waiting years for everything again. Either way, I'd imagine transferring purchases from the Wii is pretty much certain, given that they did it from DSi to 3DS.

Furthermore, there's pretty much nothing stopping Gamecube games appearing on the Virtual Console right from the start. The Wii backwards compatibility again means Gamecube games will be almost trivially easy to get running on the console. They're undoubtedly going to phase the releases out over a few years, but there's no reason not to see a couple of Gamecube games appearing on the Virtual Console every week. I'd say it's extremely likely we'll see Wii games on the Virtual Console too, but not until physical sales dry up, a year or two after launch perhaps.

A wonderful (although very unlikely) VC feature would be to share GB/GBC/GBA/NES/SNES/etc. VC purchases across both the 3DS and Wii U, and to feature cloud saves to sync progress between them. Hell, you could even include DS games in that list, although I shudder to think what some of the 3D ones would look like when blown up to 50".

In general, the VC shop on Wii U (and the Wii U eShop in general) needs to be much better laid out, a lot faster to navigate, and with full-screen screenshots and videos for all games. The 3DS eShop is a big improvement in this regard (although still not fast enough for my likings), and hopefully they can make the most of the HD screen and touchscreen. Also, they really need to start doing sales on the eShop. Steam-style daily deals would be a great way to promote lesser-known titles.

Virtual Console Plus (or HD Classics)

While regular VC games are effectively ROM-dumps, my thought for HD versions would be to treat them as ports, with (obviously) 1080p/60fps support with widescreen/AA/AF/etc., but also with added features taking advantage of the Wii U pad and other Wii U features (the obvious example would be Zelda games with the inventory and soforth on the touchscreen). While the name HD Classics would fit with the 3DS's 3D Classics, I feel that the name Virtual Console Plus would better emphasize that it's more than just HD visuals that have been added.

The ports shouldn't take too long, perhaps a couple of months each with a small team (preferably including at least one or two of the original developers). CPU code for Gamecube and Wii should run without too much trouble on the Wii U, so it would mainly be a matter of porting TEV code over to the Wii U's GPU architecture. Given that ATi/AMD designed both, they should be able to provide guidelines for the porting process. Redoing menus/UI elements in HD and getting stuff running on the touchscreen shouldn't be too labour intensive either.

To get an idea of what I'm thinking of, here are a few potential VC+ games that I think would work pretty well:

Zelda: The Wind Waker
The obvious one. The game looks great on Dolphin, but it'd be so much nicer to have an official, glitch-free HD version of the game to play on a big-screen TV.
Extra features: Inventory, maps and so-forth on the touchscreen. Also, touchscreen Tingle Tuner!

Mario Galaxy/Mario Galaxy 2
Would look glorious in HD. Due to the limited (but necessary) use of the pointer in each game they'd be limited to Wiimote control, hence no touchscreen stuff, though.
Extra features: Not really sure. Perhaps some co-op mode where the second player uses the Wii U pad somehow?

Metroid Prime/MP2/MP3
Sweet, sweet Metroid. You know Retro would be happy to handle these, as they volunteered to do MP Trilogy on the Wii.
Extra features: Choice of Wiimote/Upad controls. Use of touchscreen as map, or as an augmented reality visor. Would be sweet if Retro could add fancy modern lighting effects to really heighten the atmosphere as well.

F-Zero GX
If you don't want to play this in HD you really need your head examined.
Extra features: A long shot, but online multiplayer would be wonderful, as would (and this is an even longer shot) a track editor on the touchscreen. Also, while I don't expect Nintendo to go for 3D in any of their own games, this is one I'd like them to make an exception for.

Star Wars: Rogue Leader/Rebel Strike
It's sad that Factor 5 aren't around any more to make a sequel to these, but perhaps Nintendo could hire a few of them on a contract basis to make VC+ versions of two of the most technically impressive games of the SD era.
Extra features: Four-player co-op, competitive multiplayer. Use of the touchscreen as a radar and AR targeting computer.

Killer 7
To my eternal shame I've never actually played this, but I can imagine it would look great in HD.
Extra features: Damn if I know.

Resident Evil 4
I know there are already HD versions for PS360, but it would be great to have a version with options for both Wiimote controls and classic controls.
Extra features: Inventory on touchscreen.

and soforth.

There are probably two inevitable questions at this stage. Firstly, where are the N64 games? While I'd love to see some N64 games on VC+ (sweet jesus F-Zero X with the 64DD track editor would be glorious), they're generally not going to hold up as well in HD and they'd be a lot more difficult to port, due to the N64's crazy architecture. It'd basically be a whole lot of effort for very little gain, especially when you consider that VC versions of N64 games can run at higher resolutions anyway.

The second question is likely to be: Why go the downloadable route, why not retail releases? Basically, while HD Mario and Zelda retail collections would sell like gangbusters, I can't really see the same thing being true for many other games. Even if the cost of making a HD version of, say, Killer 7 might be pretty low, the costs of printing, distribution etc. would make a retail release infeasible considering it's a niche game. With DD, though, a wide audience can be reached at very little cost, and pretty much every penny from sales goes straight to Nintendo/the publishers, allowing the port to break even much more quickly.

To get a retail presence for the more popular VC+ games, Nintendo could sell game-specific download cards at shops. The NFC cards would come in a mini version of the Wii U game case, and all people would have to do would be to wave the card in front of the controller and the game would start downloading. It would both keep retailers happy and at the same time provide a way to transition customers to digital distribution.

In fact, to encourage people to buy a Wii U brand hard-drive to store all these games, they could include a popular VC+ title pre-loaded onto the hard-drive as an incentive. I know if they included, say, Wind Waker+ on a Wii U hard-drive and said you wouldn't be able to get it any other way for at least 6 months, I'd definitely pony up the (most likely quite high) mark-up over other hard-drives.

With decent planning, I'm sure Nintendo could get one VC+ game out each month, and that would give them quite a few years of releases, and higher profile ones could perhaps help fill some gaps in their retail release schedule.

antonz

Yeah the camera issue was related to cost mostly. going from .3 mp to even 1mp has a pretty hefty cost increase. Nintendo pays like $1.50 for each .3mp while a single 1mp is like $3. It just adds up to the costs

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I really want to start a rumor about something, let everyone report it and then come out a week later and say: "Haha, it was me! Folled you all!"

Just to prove how easy you gen get those "journalists" to report something...

I would spread the rumor that the Xbox720 forces you to use Kinect on its dashboard to save battery on the new controller,. because the HD screen uses so much of it :D

Hey--if it's on GAF, it's apparently 50/50 according to Nintendo World Report.

To get a retail presence for the more popular VC+ games, Nintendo could sell game-specific download cards at shops. The NFC cards would come in a mini version of the Wii U game case, and all people would have to do would be to wave the card in front of the controller and the game would start downloading. It would both keep retailers happy and at the same time provide a way to transition customers to digital distribution.

This is propably where the whole "online purchase" thing is going. You could even promote those store sales easily. Just enable the "card buyers" to download it a week or two earlier before its available in the eshop without a download card.

Heck another example could be "deluxe editions" of sequels on Wii-U. Lets say Darksiders 1 would be announced als a DL title at launch. The "Deluxe" edition of Darksiders 2 for Wii U could have a card for a free download packed in. Making the "Deluxe pack" a bit cheaper than the 2 seperate purchases!

*pheu* typing this took forever, lol. don't know why...

Top Bottom