• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread The Third: Casting Dreams in The Castle of Miyamoto

Thraktor

Alright, I'm about to go dark again until E3, but before I go I thought I'd make some predictions that can be mocked for their inaccuracy after E3:

More detailed specs will leak shortly before E3. They'll comprise of the following:

CPU: 3-core, 3MB eDRAM cache, 2-way SMT, OoO, running at 3.2Ghz (pretty much known already)
GPU: 640:32:16 core config, running at 600 to 700MHz, with some sort of fixed function lighting hardware that most 3rd parties will barely use. The GPU eDRAM will be increased to 40MB to support the second controller.
RAM: 1.5GB of GDDR3 on a 192-bit bus at 900MHz.

Nintendo fans expecting teraflop+ performance will try to mask their disappointment, and Sony and Microsoft fans will troll like they've never trolled before.

Nintendo will confirm that the console will work with two touch-screen controllers, and will detail the Nintendo Network, which will have almost all the features of XBox Live and the big advantage of being free, but will for years still be considered inferior by people who haven't used it. There'll also be some new, unannounced hardware feature (bigger than the Wiimote speaker, but not as big as a haptic feedback screen).

Nintendo will show the following 1st/2nd party games at E3 (* means playable):

Pikmin 3*
3D Mario
Wii U Sports*
Wii U Fit*
Wii U Play* (bundled with extra controller)
Retro FPS* (not Metroid)
Monolith RPG
Mario Kart
2D Yoshi game
Lego City Stories*
Surprise 3rd party exclusive*
New Nintendo IP*
New Nintendo IP

There will also be a handful of mini-games playable (like Chase Mii) which will be bundled with the system.

Once Nintendo actually shows off Mario, Pikmin 3 and Retro and Monolith's projects, anyone who actually cares about games will completely forget about the specs, as these games'll look god-damn beautiful. Some Sony and Microsoft fans will continue to troll, but will later end up crying themselves to sleep when they realise that the PS4 and XBox720 won't come anywhere near their feverish 16-core spec-dreams.

Plenty of 3rd party multi-plats will be shown off on Wii U, including AC3, Black Ops 2, GTAV, Medal of Honor, etc., and will all look almost identical to their PS360 counterparts, with cursory touchscreen use. (AC3 might be the exception there, both in graphical and controller terms) Resident Evil 6: Wii U Edition will be announced, released a couple of months after the others and with an inventory on the touchscreen but little else changed.

A handful of third-party games will actually try to make use of the hardware, including AC3, but also Aliens:Colonial Marines and Metro:Last Light (which will actually look surprisingly good on the system, if THQ's financial troubles haven't caused it to be cancelled by then). Killer Freaks will continue to be somewhat intriguing, but not a system seller. There'll be a couple of other below-the-radar third party exclusives revealed as well, mostly targeted at casual gamers.

See you guys closer to E3!

Penguin

Nintendo doing blackouts are not uncommon. Why are people so surprised?

I think honestly because their home front scene had been so quiet for so long.

I mean it has picked up with Zelda, Xenoblade, etc

But yeah the last year plus for the Wii....

nordique

I can be polite. I just want to know if I really can trust you.

Now... Uh...

What do you think of the specs I posted earlier in relation to what you're heard? Realistic?

I said nothing of the sort. I just feel that he was wrong in singling out Arkham.

2-2.5GHz tri-core PPC 476FP @45nm
240-400 R700 SPUs @ 500MHz @40nm
- 8 ROPs, 16 texture units, 16MiB eDRAM
1GiB GDDR3 RAM for games, 512MiB for OS
-128-bit bus, 600-700MHz

--------------

Seems to be on the weaker side.. much weaker side if you count the CPU. We know its not a 476 level CPU

if you want to use anyone's specs as a good measuring point, I'd go with bgassassin's

He knows a fair bit of inside info, so his would be accurate with regards to at the very least Wii U devkits

nordique

Alright, I'm about to go dark again until E3, but before I go I thought I'd make some predictions that can be mocked for their inaccuracy after E3:

More detailed specs will leak shortly before E3. They'll comprise of the following:

CPU: 3-core, 3MB eDRAM cache, 2-way SMT, OoO, running at 3.2Ghz (pretty much known already)
GPU: 640:32:16 core config, running at 600 to 700MHz, with some sort of fixed function lighting hardware that most 3rd parties will barely use. The GPU eDRAM will be increased to 40MB to support the second controller.

Nintendo fans expecting teraflop+ performance will try to mask their disappointment, and Sony and Microsoft fans will troll like they've never trolled before.

Nintendo will confirm that the console will work with two touch-screen controllers, and will detail the Nintendo Network, which will have almost all the features of XBox Live and the big advantage of being free, but will for years still be considered inferior by people who haven't used it. There'll also be some new, unannounced hardware feature (bigger than the Wiimote speaker, but not as big as a haptic feedback screen).

Pikmin 3*
3D Mario
Wii U Sports*
Wii U Fit*
Retro FPS* (not Metroid)
Monolith RPG
Mario Kart
2D Yoshi game
Lego City Stories*
New Nintendo IP*
New Nintendo IP

There will also be a handful of mini-games playable (like Chase Mii) which will be bundled with the system.

Once Nintendo actually shows off Mario, Pikmin 3 and Retro and Monolith's projects, anyone who actually cares about games will completely forget about the specs, as these games'll look god-damn beautiful. Some Sony and Microsoft fans will continue to troll, but will later end up crying themselves to sleep when they realise that the PS4 and XBox720 won't come anywhere near their feverish 16-core spec-dreams.

Plenty of 3rd party multi-plats will be shown off on Wii U, including AC3, Black Ops 2, GTAV, Medal of Honor, etc., and will all look almost identical to their PS360 counterparts, with cursory touchscreen use. (AC3 might be the exception there, both in graphical and controller terms) Resident Evil 6: Wii U Edition will be announced, released a couple of months after the others and with an inventory on the touchscreen but little else changed.

A handful of third-party games will actually try to make use of the hardware, including AC3, but also Aliens:Colonial Marines and Metro:Last Light (which will actually look surprisingly good on the system, if THQ's financial troubles haven't caused it to be cancelled by then). Killer Freaks will continue to be somewhat intriguing, but not a system seller. There'll be a couple of other below-the-radar third party exclusives revealed as well, mostly targeted at casual gamers.

I think this is realistic, and accurate.

Good post

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

BurntPork

Banned
What is wrong with you?

Oh, sorry.

This FUCKING company.

That's how it's done, right?

Most companies ignore exchange rates when pricing. That's what I mean. So,

US: $399.99
EU: 399.99 euros
JP: 40,000 yen

Get it?

LOL...That will never happen. This thing would be dead on arrival.

We can't say that before knowing its line-up, features, and power level.

Oh god, here comes the DBZ scale. D;

Sadist

I think honestly because their home front scene had been so quiet for so long.

I mean it has picked up with Zelda, Xenoblade, etc

But yeah the last year plus for the Wii....
It's frustrating if you like Nintendo consoles over the other two options. EU owners such as myself got kind of "lucky" with Last Story and Pandora's Tower last week (and we have Rhythm Heaven Wii and Fatal Frame 2 Wii Edition in the next few months) but as a Nintendo fan, I kind of worked around these media silences around their consols. Built me up some mad patience yo. Ahum.

AzaK

Reggie said it would be for those who have lots of disposable income, but for Nintendo to have their own type of $599 moment? Eeeesh..

So basically $399 USD or less, if the Wii launch price difference holds up.

(Wii launched at 249 Euros in Spain when it was $249 USD here, so.... keep that in consideration folks)

EDIT: (Also, Spanish pricing includes sales tax... so there's that, too)

If it's US$399, that will equate to NZ$800 here after using special game company gouging calculators even though exchange rate from $399 is about NZ$490. I realise it's just a wild placeholder, but man if it comes in at that price my launch game selection is going to probably be one title......and my wife is going to be might unimpressed.

Haha, crazy BurntPork is back.
For about 3 more posts.....

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
At the Gearbox panel at PAX East Randy, one of the presidents of the company, said something interesting during the Aliens segment. He basically said that there was going to be something really awesome for the Wii U version and as soon as Nintendo would open up with their communication of the system they'd be able to show everyone.

Vitality sensor. Would be perfect for a survival-thriller like Aliens.

methodman

Banned
Vitality sensor. Would be perfect for a survival-thriller like Aliens.

Eternal Darkness launch title confirmed with vitality sensor usage. Anytime your heart rate goes above a certain level, the game reacts by psychologically messing with you and making your heart rate reach undesirable levels, resulting in a heart attack. What a great game!

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
I hope we see at least some classics and a variety of genres in ports, even older games.

I'm sure I can come up with a laundry list of games that would be great candidates.

I'd actually like to see Ubisoft give Prince of Persia 2008 another shot on Wii U, this is Ubisoft after all, the port madhouse in launch periods. Rayman 3 HD even would be nice (better than Rayman 2 AGAIN).

A lot of PC games could make neat choices, another Ubisoft game; Might & Magic Heroes VI could be a nice choice, wouldn't this possibly be a great choice for tablet use?

Shame that Ubisoft usually ports old-ass games, and poorly at that (how hard would've it been to do a perfect port of Rayman 2 on DC to 3DS? WAY more powerful and yet it runs inferior, could've at least been the PS2 version...).

I'd say Ghost Recon Future Soldier would be a lock, if only Online wasn't on the way, might cannibalize sales (unless they don't see that with Online being an "eShop" game, versus Future Soldier being a retail game).

I wish they ported the original Ghost Recon to Wii rather than have Next Level Games make a poor light-gun shooter. They even called it simply "Ghost Recon", wtf?

Well, you want variety, expect something from them that isn't Ghost Recon Online, Killer Freaks, or AC3 :p

Ok, there's surely Your Shape Wii U, a rabbids game, it's diversity isn't it ? And maybe another project :)

My memory is a little sketchy but back in 2006 we found out what the Wii controller looked like first and then after scratching our heads for a while about how the hell we were supposed to play games with that we found out about the motion control and our collective minds were blown.

Did we find out about that at E3 or did they drop the motion bomb earlier?

Does Nintendo have some kind of similar bomb to drop at this years E3 and if so what could blow minds like that revelation?

BurntPork

Banned
It's NOT going to be 399$ You better get that out of your heads right now.

I will not. When we next see Wii U, it will be twice as big so it can cool the Cape Verde GPU, 3.5GHz quad-core quad-threaded POWER7 CPU, and 2.5GB GDDR5 RAM inside, and they'll charge $400 because they need to to make a profit.

T8lTN.jpg

Terrell

It's NOT going to be 399$ You better get that out of your heads right now.

Oh, I imagine it to be less, as well. But the $500+ that the gent who posted is saying (and many people are running with) is definitely not factoring in a lot of things, either, and that needed to be addressed first and foremost.

Before Spain's 18% sales tax (no lying, folks, it's that high), the console would cost 340-ish Euros if it was priced at 399. Add in the fact that, yes, conversion rates are typically ignored by console makers, and you get $349USD for WiiU, which is the high-end of our pricing expectations.

And this is just playing with numbers that I know aren't reflective of the final price anyways.

My memory is a little sketchy but back in 2006 we found out what the Wii controller looked like first and then after scratching our heads for a while about how the hell we were supposed to play games with that we found out about the motion control and our collective minds were blown.

Does Nintendo have some kind of similar bomb to drop at this years E3 and if so what could blow minds like that revelation?

Wii controller reveal was TGS-ish 2005.

Wii games were not shown until E3 2006.

Sadist

TGS keynote 2005. Iwata showed the controller and the world was in shock.

Definitive details emerged during E3 2006.

DCKing

Why believe IdeaMan and not him, especially since Lherre (or whatever) agrees with him? (Or Arkham says he agrees at least.)

Well, there is that China thing that wsippel posted that just happens to have a DSP.

Edit:

I doubt that MS is using that.
Just to put this idea to rest, ChinaChip makes chips for cheap $80 lnockoff handheld that run SNES roms. This has nothing to do with an actual home console. The PPC476FP isn't suitable for home consoles at all.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.

Nintendo announced the Revolution controller at TGS (7 Months before the E3 unveiling) along with a video of regular people doing motions and aiming while playing video games. No game footage was shown, but Metroid Prime 2 with added pointer controls (along with some other games) was demoed behind closed doors. The Wii name was unveiled a month before the conference. Red Steel also graced the cover of Game Informer Magazine shortly after.

Oddduck

I'm probably wrong, but would Wii U be the first time ever that Nintendo prices a console at $300 or above?

(Yes I realize the price isn't confirmed. But we all know it will be $300 or higher.)

Wii controller reveal was TGS-ish 2005.

Wii games were not shown until E3 2006.

TGS keynote 2005. Iwata showed the controller and the world was in shock.

Definitive details emerged during E3 2006.

That's a much longer time between the controller reveal and E3 than I realized. I remember there being a ton of speculation (and derision) about what the controller would be used for and even a couple people correctly guessing, or maybe they were in the know, that it was a motion controller. I don't remember there being any actual confirmation of that until the demo reel was shown at E3 '06 with all the people facing the camera using the conroller in different activities.

That's a very long time for a secret like that to be kept so is it possible that history is repeating itself and there's some big secret yet to be revealed about the Wii U?
Nintendo announced the Revolution controller at TGS (7 Months before the E3 unveiling) along with a video of regular people doing motions and aiming while playing video games. No game footage was shown, but Metroid Prime 2 with added pointer controls (along with some other games) was demoed. The Wii name was unveiled a month before the conference. Red Steel also graced the cover of Game Informer Magazine shortly after.
OK, so I remembered it wrong. I thought the demo was E3 but that was also at TGS.

NeoRausch

I'm probably wrong, but would Wii U be the first time ever that Nintendo prices a console at $300 or above?

(Yes I realize the price isn't confirmed. But we all know it will be $300 or higher.)
Yupp,

and while i was looking up launch prices:

HOLY HELL! The first 3DO launched at 699!? Whoa! Ballsy!

BurntPork

Banned
Just to put this idea to rest, ChinaChip makes chips for cheap $80 lnockoff handheld that run SNES roms. This has nothing to do with an actual home console. The PPC476FP isn't suitable for home consoles at all.

Ah, okay. I'll make a change, then.

2.5GHz custom tri-core OoOE PPC @45nm
-3MB cache
240-400 R700 SPUs @ 500MHz @40nm
- 8 ROPs, 16 texture units, 16MiB eDRAM
1GiB GDDR3 RAM for games, 512MiB for OS
-128-bit bus, 600-700MHz

Can anyone remember someone in the gaming press saying that the screen on the U controller is brighter and clearer than an iPad display..? I've been looking for it but can't seem to find it anywhere. Thanks in advance for any help. ;o)

Log4Girlz

These are good specs. Wish the CPU and GPU were clocked higher (With the GPU at 1 ghz), but that ain't happening. I think the spec that is locked in stone is the design of the console case and that will limit the thermal budget. It wouldn't surprise me if all the tech in the Wii U is POTENTIALLY very impressive for its price, but hampered by clock speeds.

BurntPork

Banned
I don't remember posting some "China thing".

Maybe it wasn't you. Someone posted about that ChinaChip.

These are good specs. Wish the CPU and GPU were clocked higher (With the GPU at 1 ghz), but that ain't happening. I think the spec that is locked in stone is the design of the console case and that will limit the thermal budget. It wouldn't surprise me if all the tech in the Wii U is POTENTIALLY very impressive for its price, but hampered by clock speeds.

1GHz is just popping up in PCs. Expecting that in a console isn't realistic at all. Even MS likely won't go above 800MHz.

Clock speeds aren't that important anymore anyway.

NeoRausch

Can anyone remember someone in the gaming press saying that the screen on the U controller is brighter and clearer than an iPad display..? I've been looking for it but can't seem to find it anywhere. Thanks in advance for any help. ;o)
Huh? What kind of comment is that?

brighter? Maybe, doen't take much to make it brighter.

but.. Clearer? No way in hell. I don't even own any apple devices, but...just looking at a facts sheet tells me that that's just utter bullshit.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!

Expect some changes concerning the screen at E3 though. E3 2011 & 2012 padlet screens won't be the same. But it doesn't mean its overall quality witnessed last year won't be present or even better in two months heh :)

Terrell

Huh? What kind of comment is that?

brighter? Maybe, doen't take much to make it brighter.

but.. Clearer? No way in hell. I don't even own any apple devices, but...just looking at a facts sheet tells me that that's just utter bullshit.

The newest iPad did not exist at the time of the quote, likely. Don't read much into it.

oatmeal

Banned

Pikmin 3*
3D Mario
Wii U Sports*
Wii U Fit*
Retro FPS* (not Metroid)
Monolith RPG
Mario Kart
2D Yoshi game
Lego City Stories*
New Nintendo IP*
New Nintendo IP

I think this would be great but I fear we will get less from all parts.

Expect some changes concerning the screen at E3 though. E3 2011 & 2012 padlet screens won't be the same. But it doesn't mean its overall quality (the brightness, etc.) witnessed last year won't be present or even better in two months heh :)

DS------------------------------->DS Lite confirmed.

Oddduck

Expect some changes concerning the screen at E3 though. E3 2011 & 2012 padlet screens won't be the same. But it doesn't mean its overall quality witnessed last year won't be present or even better in two months heh :)

I see a negative side to Nintendo improving the controller.

The more Nintendo improves that controller, the more costly that controller will become.

And the more costly it becomes, the less likely Nintendo will sell it seperately in stores for local multiplayer.

Top Bottom