• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ files Chapter 11 Bankruptcy, Clearlake enters w/ purchase agreement [OP Update 2]

how realistic is that someone like MS or Nintendo buys them?

Not very realistic. Nintendo won't fuck around the PC market (where THQ makes a lot of their revenue) and Microsoft will make nothing making the few IPs Xbox exclusive, and I don't think they'll invest in PC market as well.

Warner Bros, EA or Activision are the big three to acquire them. More realistic answer: IPs will be split up. EA may and will take WWE. Activision may take Warhammer and South Park. etc etc.

I added this to the OP:

What does this mean?

Well, there are two primary options.

1.) Clearlake is buying THQ with the intention of running them as a normal publisher. THQ was not a profitable entity, so this might be a bit unlikely. It's not entirely impossible however.

2.) Clearlake is buying THQ with the intention of selling off their assets at a later date. By funding THQ until they get through bankruptcy court, THQ's debt is removed, allowing the assets (or the company as a whole) to be sold off without having their studios shut down and have key staff leave. This means that their IPs and studios are more valuable than they would be otherwise, and that Clearlake got to buy them at a relatively cheap price since the $100+ million in debt that got added on to the cost is no longer there, thus meaning any asset sales would likely net a profit.

It is impossible, there is no way that Clearlake keep hold of THQ, it's just not their business model.

The two options are:

1. Clearlake load up the new subsidiary, THQ, with preferential debt and sell them as a whole company to the highest bidder.

2. Clearlake break up the company and sell the assets one by one after signing sweetheart deals with key talent.

Of these two, the second option is the most likely.

Ithil

So weird to have such an old, prominent publisher gone.

Farewell, THQ.

Give the WWE licence to someone better than Yukes.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It is impossible, there is no way that Clearlake keep hold of THQ, it's just not their business model.

The two options are:

1. Clearlake load up the new subsidiary, THQ, with preferential debt and sell them as a whole company to the highest bidder.

2. Clearlake break up the company and sell the assets one by one after signing sweetheart deals with key talent.

I mean, I agree with you, but like I can't promise this 100%.

I changed "a bit" to "incredibly" though.

I'm not too sure what most of this means. Is it a good or bad thing? I was hoping the IPs wouldn't be sold off, i think other publishers would ruin them.It seems like they are planning on carrying on as normal for now, which is good i suppose.

I'll be sad to see them go, but I hope someone comes in and buys volition as well as some of their more lucrative titles.

saints row and red faction need to be saved. they are too important to be left to fade into obscurity. :(

Not very realistic. Nintendo won't fuck around the PC market (where THQ makes a lot of their revenue) and Microsoft will make nothing making the few IPs Xbox exclusive.

Warner Bros, EA or Activision are the big three to acquire them.

No one is going to acquire THQ outright. I think the question should be who is likely to buy their IPs and I think everyone would be interested in something like Saints Row.

AHA-Lambda

350662-big_boss_salut6uuvb.jpg

Sad to see them go down tbh. They were one of the few AAA publishers not regurgitating the same old crap every year.
I also really hope South Park comes out of this alright.

Goodbye to the company that made some of the most fun videogames this generation.

Say what you want about the company but they were a good counterpoint to the shooter and cinematic crap being pushed by every other publisher.

Games like saints row and darksiders just won't exist elsewhere, not without MAJOR revisions to their formulas.

Thq was like an American sega, just without the talent. I will miss them.

I imagine if the WWE license has reverted back to the WWE they will want to shop it around ASAP. I'm sad for THQ yet fascinated by what will become of all their great IPs.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'd be somewhat surprised if it didn't revert to the WWE upon bankruptcy.

I'd be floored if that wasn't the case. Also I'd suspect that whoever worked on the contract on the WWE's side would also be looking for a new job if that happened.

Scum

I'm not too sure what most of this means. Is it a good or bad thing? I was hoping the IPs wouldn't be sold off, i think other publishers would ruin them.It seems like they are planning on carrying on as normal for now, which is good i suppose.

Here.

Nirolak said:
What does this mean?

Well, there are two primary options.

1.) Clearlake is buying THQ with the intention of running them as a normal publisher. THQ was not a profitable entity, so this might be incredibly unlikely. It's not entirely impossible however.

2.) Clearlake is buying THQ with the intention of selling off their assets at a later date. By funding THQ until they get through bankruptcy court, THQ's debt is removed, allowing the assets (or the company as a whole) to be sold off without having their studios shut down and have key staff leave. This means that their IPs and studios are more valuable than they would be otherwise, and that Clearlake got to buy them at a relatively cheap price since the $100+ million in debt that got added on to the cost is no longer there, thus meaning any asset sales would likely net a profit.

Note: Technically there is a 30 day window in which other companies can outbid Clearlake and buy THQ.

marrec

Banned

The IP will not remain under one roof for very long, eventually it's going to be sold off. The only real question is how long Clearlake intends to run THQ before it starts the sale.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'd be floored if that wasn't the case. Also I'd suspect that whoever worked on the contract on the WWE's side would also be looking for a new job if that happened.

Haha, fair point.

We'll find out when EA releases a press release about signing a WWE license.

Rubins was smart. He got on board with just enough time to earn a golden parachute while putting in a minimal amount of work and recieving none of the blame.

Rootbeer

Banned
Sorry THQ... I have bought, played and enjoyed many of your games. And I hope to someday buy, play and enjoy that awesome looking South Park RPG

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

The two options are:

As a follow-up, I did add this to the top of the OP as well with a note that you follow this part of the industry way more than I do.

Hey You

Hmmmm. The article on yahoo there, states, that "The company’s foreign operations, including Canada, are not included in the filings."

WTF does this mean, any studio's outside U.S aren't included in this trade? If that's the case, what happens to foreign studios? And, speaking of foreign studios, what ones are they talking about?

Good question.
They are closed? Sold? Sold separately?

Relic and their Montreal studio are in Canada. Apparently they have a External Development Group in China as well.

Geoff9920

Personally, I'm hoping that whatever action Clearlake ends up taking that both Relic & Volition somehow get purchased and kept intact. No idea how likely that is though...

Mikeside

I'm pretty sure all the games you listed will see the light of day. CoH is a already in a polished alpha state, saints row sells a ton, and South Park is a big IP. Metro is the dark horse but it has a pretty big following so I would not be worried about that one ether.

Oh I'm sure they'll see the light of day, but if the worst happens and THQ is gone, then published by who?

Different publishers could mean very different things for both of those games.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Personally, I'm hoping that whatever action Clearlake ends up taking that both Relic & Volition somehow get purchased and kept intact. No idea how likely that is though...

Well, they wouldn't have bought them unless they intend to keep THQ's valuable assets in pristine condition.

At least... not doing so would be very odd.

Yeah, so THQ has 2 studios in Canada. One in Vancouver and the other in Montreal. I'm not so sure what the studio in Montreal was up to, but Relic in Vancouver looks pretty busy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relic_Entertainment

I'm no so sure these studio's are part of the deal with Clearlake based on some of the information in the article.

So what happens to these studios then?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yeah, so THQ has 2 studios in Canada. One in Vancouver and the other in Montreal. I'm not so sure what the studio in Montreal was up to, but Relic in Vancouver looks pretty busy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relic_Entertainment

I'm no so sure these studio's are part of the deal with Clearlake based on some of the information in the article.

So what happens to these studios then?

I think they get bought, but don't file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

I'm not an expert, but I'm assuming Canada doesn't have the same bankruptcy laws as the U.S.

Victrix

*beard*
Sad to see them go. They published some of my favorite PC games this generation.

I really hope some of their better developers come out of this ok.

Warhammer IP is a big deal to me also, I'll be watching this closely.

KissVibes

Banned
Not very realistic. Nintendo won't fuck around the PC market (where THQ makes a lot of their revenue) and Microsoft will make nothing making the few IPs Xbox exclusive, and I don't think they'll invest in PC market as well.

Warner Bros, EA or Activision are the big three to acquire them. More realistic answer: IPs will be split up. EA may and will take WWE. Activision may take Warhammer and South Park. etc etc.

Activision is never getting Warhammer. Games Workshop is protective as fuck of the brand and Activision has the sigma of running franchises into the ground and not knowing what the fuck to do with licensed products.

And Microsoft has looked into buying THQ this year but the debt involved probably soured the deal.

I think they get bought, but don't file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

I'm not an expert, but I'm assuming Canada doesn't have the same bankruptcy laws as the U.S.

Ahhhh yes, you are right. I missed that. All assets are being acquired by Clearlake, and the studio's in Canada are subjected to the same bankruptcy filings. Now what happens in a case like this, i have no freaking idea. I'm presuming they would file separately in Canada?

Corto

So sad... Good luck to everyone involved. Fuck the games, hope all people land on their feet. Not that it was unexpected but this news on holidays is heartbreaking.

I wonder how much this cost them? Was it successful at all? I still see tons of them sitting on store shelves.

It was successful initially on the Wii. The PS3/360 versions failed miserably and it seems the Wii version petered out too after a couple months of success. I saw some on sale for 15 bucks the other day and was almost tempted just for gift.

Why are people thinking this is the end of THQ?

Chapter 11 bankruptcy is restructuring of their debt... Yes they will sell stuff but they aren't dead (yet)

Hell... American Airlines is in Chapter 11... :\

It's a very different thing, apples and oranges etc.

THQ the brand will survive, but who gives two shits about them? They will clear out anything of value like Volition, Relic and Vigil, probably drop their WWE license too. Those are what concerns gamers, the actual people within the corporation making the games.

It's gonna be like the fall of Midway and Acclaim.

Top Bottom