• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point & Click Adventure Thread 2017 - Bigger Than Ever Before!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

header.jpg

Just beat the Inner World. Story was good though I feel the translation had some wonky moments.
I didn't like the puzzles very much, but enjoyed my time with the game for the most part.

Tizoc

Well I started Book of Unwritten Tales 1 and I am loving the humor at least, although Wilbur's fetch quests were getting a little out of hand.
I got back to controlling Ivo and...why does this music sound like Garnet's song from FF9?

Knurek

Well I started Book of Unwritten Tales 1 and I am loving the humor at least

There was humor in the game?
The whole series was like it was made by aliens who tried and failed miserably at understanding what is funny to us, humans.
Or Germans.

Fuz

Banned
So. I've finally got to play all 5 King's Quest chapters.
I didn't like them. Actually, I hated them.
The humour and the writing are cringeworthy; the interface is dumbed down, horrible, cumbersome and clearly designed to accomodate gamepads; there's lots of annoying walking back-and-forth for no other reason that to make the game feel longer and puzzles are terrible. Chapter 4 is especially bad. Terrible, preposterous story. Horrible dialogues. Harrowing humour. Super lazy puzzle design. It's a mess.
I don't know how I forced myself to play through them.
The art style is quite good, though.

I hated it so much, it could have been so good but it's such a gigantic wasted opportunity.
The whole series was like it was made by aliens who tried and failed miserably at understanding what is funny to us, humans.
Or Germans.

I like you.
I don't know what I expected, but I think the cleaner look that comes with redrawing is a disservice to the art style

Agree. Not impressed so far.

epmode

Or Germans.

This is why I stopped buying anything from Daedelic.

But I guess they publish stuff now so maybe I should rethink that.

I can't really disagree with any of that. The animation is amazing though.

Tizoc

Yeesh fetch quest after fetch quest with this game.
Still gonna see it through to the end, rather liking it tbh.

epmode

Memoria is amazing.
They did release some very good games.

Also... book of unwritten tales is not Daedalic. :p

I wasn't a fan of Deponia, The Whispered World and one or two others. Great production values, annoying characters and writing. I must have grouped Unwritten Tales 1&2 in with their stuff because I disliked it for similar reasons.

Fuz

Banned
I wasn't a fan of Deponia, The Whispered World and one or two others. Great production values, annoying characters and writing. I must have grouped Unwritten Tales 1&2 in with their stuff because I disliked it for similar reasons.

I dislike Deponia too. But I liked The Whispered World.
Night of the Rabbit and Memoria are amazing, though.

Still haven't tried a single Daedalic P&C game, they're something about the style of them that just puts me off them.

It's the same with The Book of Unwritten Tales, but for that I at least tried the demo, but dismissed it after really not liking the art style in it. Or, there really wasn't a single thing of the demo that appealed to me, but I do know that it's highly rated by reviewers. For some reason.

#grumpy :)

That said, maybe I should check out Memoria?

rusteepot

The humour and the writing are cringeworthy; the interface is dumbed down, horrible, cumbersome and clearly designed to accomodate gamepads; there's lots of annoying walking back-and-forth for no other reason that to make the game feel longer and puzzles are terrible. Chapter 4 is especially bad. Terrible, preposterous story. Horrible dialogues. Harrowing humour. Super lazy puzzle design. It's a mess.
I don't know how I forced myself to play through them.
The art style is quite good, though.

I hated it so much, it could have been so good but it's such a gigantic wasted opportunity.

That sucks to hear since I have been hearing fairly good reviews about it D: Not a fan of the art style, mostly because it looks so derpy.

Any example of a cringeworthy line?

SmZA

I finished Primordia last night. It's really good, as are almost all other Wadjet Eye games.

By 'finished', I mean I found 4-5 separate endings. I'm pretty sure there are more because there are some items / location left as loose ends. However I think I will have to restore before my last save to get something I missed.

As far as Wadjet Eye goes, I've yet to try the Blackwell series.

The Blackwell series and Technobabylon are Wadjet Eye's gems. Far and away my favourites of their stuff.

Now I'm currently playing Shardlight and it's... ok. It feels weirdly open, yet rather sparse, kind of like it was more ambitious than its budget would allow. There's also some weird logic leaps for puzzles that I'm not a fan of--it's inventive, but bizarre. It has the charm of other Wadjet Eye games, though, so I'll persevere.

I should note I'm pretty early in Shardlight, so things might change for the better.

Knurek

That said, maybe I should check out Memoria?

Don't start with Memoria, that's the second game in the series.
Chains of Satinav -> Memoria.
Both are good, probably the best games Daedalic made.
Logical puzzles, good story, great art, if you're okay with fantasy settings (both games use Die Schwarze Auge setting, aka German D&D) you'll love them.

Started Gemini Rue last night.. Not sure how I feel about it just yet, I'm not very far in it. The dual character story threw me off a bit though - for a very long while I thought the two characters were the same two people at different points in time..
Or are they really?

epmode

Don't start with Memoria, that's the second game in the series.
Chains of Satinav -> Memoria.
Both are good, probably the best games Daedalic made.
Logical puzzles, good story, great art, if you're okay with fantasy settings (both games use Die Schwarze Auge setting, aka German D&D) you'll love them.

Oh hay, I apparently already own Chains of Satinav and Memoria is 75% off for 2 hours. I'll pick it up, thanks.

Started Gemini Rue last night.. Not sure how I feel about it just yet, I'm not very far in it. The dual character story threw me off a bit though - for a very long while I thought the two characters were the same two people at different points in time..
Or are they really?

Oh shit! I'm progressing into the story and
I think I was right, the two are indeed the same character at different points in time and the whole brother thing is a red herring? But why???

Knurek

Thoughts on The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav? It's 90% off on Steam for the weekend.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/203830/#app_reviews_hash

Its sequel Memoria is 80% off as well but from what I read the predecessor should be played first.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/243200/#app_reviews_hash

Get them if you like good Adventure Games.
Don't get them if you liked Deponia and are looking for more of the same, those two have a) good story, b) decent puzzles, c) none or close to none toilet humor.

Fuz

Banned
Get them if you like good Adventure Games.
Don't get them if you liked Deponia and are looking for more of the same, those two have a) good story, b) decent puzzles, c) none or close to none toilet humor.

I second this.

Satinav has its flaws, but it's pretty good.
Memoria is truly a gem.

SvarunGames

Neo Member
ifNBQqg.jpg

Hello guys,

I participate in a small independent team struggling to see the debut title through the development and launched to the (hopefully) eager audience. Yesterday we released the first actual video of the gameplay so I finally decided to make a post here and draw everybody's attention to it.

Video is live on YouTube via following link: https://youtu.be/IcbiNvlsezI

Any thoughts, opinions and comments are greatly appreciated of course!

PS: If I break any rules by this blatant act of self advertising, please be so kind to delete this post and contact me personally. Thanks!

Played the first chapter of The Raven: Legacy of a Master Thief last night.

I enjoyed it. It's a bit unpolished but it has a lot of charm and the characters are good so far. Looking forward to playing more.

I enjoyed it. It's a bit unpolished but it has a lot of charm and the characters are good so far. Looking forward to playing more.
as a big Agatha Christie fan, I do enjoy it, its a huge grab bag of unofficial adaptation references.

Like if I were to make a side scrolling action game called Castle-in-Transylvania, give the main character a riding crop, and name her Simone Bellemount. I mean, its clearly not the same thing as this other series of games you may be reminded of.

Schlomo

Thoughts on The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav? It's 90% off on Steam for the weekend.

I thought it was incredibly dull. Cliched fantasy story and characters with nothing to make them stand out. Great background art at least, but horrible animations.

Puzzles were all right, but nothing close to Deponia 1 (which I think is Daedalic's best by far in terms of puzzle design).

Knurek

Unfortunately, it goes downhill from chapter one (the twist and pretty much all of chapter three being the worst), but still is a decent game overall.
Definite improvement over Unwritten Tales.

epmode

I really liked the first chapter, mostly because the main character was so unique (I know he's based on an Agatha Christie character, I'm just talking games)

It goes sharply downhill after the first chapter.

Zaph

Yeah, don't mean to put you off if you're having fun, but the quality of the game goes off a cliff after the first chapter and really put me off episodic adventure games. Lots of asset reuse and feels very rushed out the door.

Hey, P&CGaf I've missed you. I was trying to stay away until after the release of Pokemon, but it has been released and I'm coming back. I didn't finish it yet but I've managed to avoid spoilers so far so I think I will be fine and I want to talk about some great adventure games.

Has anyone started making their year end lists yet? We had a lot of good games come out this year and I've managed to complete a few of them and my ranking so far is:
Day of the Tentacle: Remastered: 10/10
Kathy Rain: 9/10
Shardlight: 9/10
Nelly Cootalot: The Fowl Fleet: 8/10
Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma: 7/10
The Interactive Adventures of Dog Mendonça and Pizzaboy: 6/10
Dreamfall Chapters: 5/10

I have Tales, Firewatch and Oxenfree started and they are quite short so I think should be able to finish them before the end of the year. I also have King's Quest but I want to finish KQ VI and VII first before playing it. The same goes for Obduction, I would like to play Myst and Riven before trying that. So those will have to wait until next year.

For other games I haven't played yet, Candle and Samorost 3 are probably great games but I am not really interested in point and clicks without dialogue. Since I've not been feeling Daedalic lately and really only want to play The Devil's Men, I didn't pick up Deponia Doomsday or Silence despite playing all the previous games.

Also, I will likely pick up The Little Acre on Monday if the reviews are good since the price is probably only going to be $12.99.

That just leaves the following games that I am on the fence about:
Her Majesty’s SPIFFING
Orwell
Virginia
The Bunker
Goetia
The Descendent

Can anyone comment on these ones or is there any others I missed? I'm not counting The Witness (puzzle game) or VA-11 Hall-a (visual novel) although they both look great.

In other news Memoranda is looking good and should be releasing on Steam and GOG on January 25th.

Fuz

Banned
Okay, so, I'm playing Silence right now. I liked The Whispered World a lot.
Now, I just started it and it seems beautiful, but it's too early for any reliable impression.

I just want to say one thing.

FUCK THOSE STUPID CHECKPOINT SAVES.
I hate them with a burning passion. Let me save whenever I want to save. And let me keep more than one save, for god's sake. There is no reason to limit this. I like to have various saves at various points in the story.
FUCK CONSOLES AND TABLETS.
For ruining my favourite gaming genres. Checkpoint saves, dumbed down interfaces, bad controls. All of this is because they try to adapt those games to inferior control systems, instead of properly redesigning.
Pisses me off so damn much.

Forgive my venting, I'll go back to play now.

inm8num2

ifNBQqg.jpg

Hello guys,

I participate in a small independent team struggling to see the debut title through the development and launched to the (hopefully) eager audience. Yesterday we released the first actual video of the gameplay so I finally decided to make a post here and draw everybody's attention to it.

Video is live on YouTube via following link: https://youtu.be/IcbiNvlsezI

Any thoughts, opinions and comments are greatly appreciated of course!

PS: If I break any rules by this blatant act of self advertising, please be so kind to delete this post and contact me personally. Thanks!

Thanks for sharing - the art style is really eye-catching. Gameplay looks to be in the classic PnC mold so you're in good company here. I agree with a comment on the YT video that the yellow circle on the cursor is distracting, perhaps unnecessary. Otherwise the interface seems fluid and logical.

IIRC the main rule on NeoGAF is that creators/developers shouldn't make threads for their own projects, but you're encouraged and welcome to share in existing threads or communities like this. And of course to connect with as many people in other forums or media outlets as possible (two good ones are IndieGames.com and IndieGameMag.com).

Good luck with continued development and do keep us updated.

Fuz

Banned
More about Silence.
I'll start stating (again) that I really liked The Whispered World.
And I really wanted to love this. I really, really, did. I tried to close both my eyes in front of its shortcomings.
But at some point, I couldn't anymore.
Gameplay is bad. There's no way around it. There's no inventory, just clicks on the scenes and move the mouse. It's super easy. Just click, no brain needed. No "classic" puzzles. You can even skip some puzzles by clicking a "skip" icon. In one occasion I had to choose between two roads: I chose the wrong one and a cutscene appeared showing the character choosing the other one. My imput was completely disregarded with no explanation. Dumbed down interface designed for gamepads. Why the hell are we fucking up potentially amazing adventure games so much just to accomodate them to consoles? Really pisses me off.
Every time you move from a location to another (and sometimes you have to do it quite often, repeatedly, to solve a "puzzle") there's a loading screen... and loading times are ATROCIOUS. They're WAY too long and happen WAY too often. It's exhausting. It's intolerable.
Game is quite slow. Like, annoyingly slow. You can't skip animations, and some of them (like the insect that flies on the mushroom at the beginning, or Spot that does an action that you may have to repeat many times to solve the puzzle) are kinda long and take control away from you for TOO MUCH TIME, it's extremely annoying. Which leaded to an exponential increase of the game's duration because I alt-tabbed A LOT out of sheer boredom... which only makes things worse because the game autopauses when you do it (I absolutely hate when games do this: *I* should decide when to pause). This also aggravates the already irritating issue of having a checkpoint only savegame. Because, guess what, if you quit after a cutscene you will have to see it all over again at your next load.
The good things... I love the setting. I'm really intrigued by the story. The characters are pretty interesting and fit the narrative quite well, the little girl is absolutely adorable. It's well written and the dialogues are pretty good. Artistically, I am really impressed by it. It's absolutely beautiful: the scenery is really amazing, the lovely 3D models are well designed and - astoningshly - don't feel out of place in the gorgeous 2D backgrounds (as a general rule, I still prefer 2D characters and animations, though) and the animations are smooth. It's truly a beauty to behold and it has a poetic, heartwarming quality on itself. I can't stress enough how beautiful it is.
Some characters (like Kyra and her bizarre head) do have some weird proportions, though.
The musics are also quite good. Voice acting can be extremely dull and toneless, like they're being read without understanding what's going on and going without passion, but most of the time it's okay-ish, with the little girl being the best one by far.

I love it for the story and the characters. I hate it for the gameplay.
I'm really disappointed. It could have easily been a masterpiece.

Late edit:
I just completed it.
Goddammit. I'm so torn. It's so beautiful, so poetic and so sad. And yet... it's so flawed and so wrong as a game.

Labadal

More about Silence.
I'll start stating (again) that I really liked The Whispered World.
And I really wanted to love this. I really, really, did. I tried to close both my eyes in front of its shortcomings.
But at some point, I couldn't anymore.
Gameplay is bad. There's no way around it. There's no inventory, just clicks on the scenes and move the mouse. It's super easy. Just click, no brain needed. No "classic" puzzles. You can even skip some puzzles by clicking a "skip" icon. In one occasion I had to choose between two roads: I chose the wrong one and a cutscene appeared showing the character choosing the other one. My imput was completely disregarded with no explanation. Dumbed down interface designed for gamepads. Why the hell are we fucking up potentially amazing adventure games so much just to accomodate them to consoles? Really pisses me off.
Every time you move from a location to another (and sometimes you have to do it quite often, repeatedly, to solve a "puzzle") there's a loading screen... and loading times are ATROCIOUS. They're WAY too long and happen WAY too often. It's exhausting. It's intolerable.
Game is quite slow. Like, annoyingly slow. You can't skip animations, and some of them (like the insect that flies on the mushroom at the beginning, or Spot that does an action that you may have to repeat many times to solve the puzzle) are kinda long and take control away from you for TOO MUCH TIME, it's extremely annoying. Which leaded to an exponential increase of the game's duration because I alt-tabbed A LOT out of sheer boredom... which only makes things worse because the game autopauses when you do it (I absolutely hate when games do this: *I* should decide when to pause). This also aggravates the already irritating issue of having a checkpoint only savegame. Because, guess what, if you quit after a cutscene you will have to see it all over again at your next load.
The good things... I love the setting. I'm really intrigued by the story. The characters are pretty interesting and fit the narrative quite well, the little girl is absolutely adorable. It's well written and the dialogues are pretty good. Artistically, I am really impressed by it. It's absolutely beautiful: the scenery is really amazing, the lovely 3D models are well designed and - astoningshly - don't feel out of place in the gorgeous 2D backgrounds (as a general rule, I still prefer 2D characters and animations, though) and the animations are smooth. It's truly a beauty to behold and it has a poetic, heartwarming quality on itself. I can't stress enough how beautiful it is.
Some characters (like Kyra and her bizarre head) do have some weird proportions, though.
The musics are also quite good. Voice acting can be extremely dull and toneless, like they're being read without understanding what's going on and going without passion, but most of the time it's okay-ish, with the little girl being the best one by far.

I love it for the story and the characters. I hate it for the gameplay.
I'm really disappointed. It could have easily been a masterpiece.

(I had read about all these issues and that is why I never bothered to get this. It sounds as bad as I read before the game released.

TripleSun

I really love The Wardrobe's look and can't wait to play it. Didn't know it was coming out in January! Thanks for the reminder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom