• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza Series Starter Guide | Welcome to Kamurocho

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
2 was just such a huge jump from 1, and had some of the best plot/cast, as far as villains/etc. 4 introduced new characters & fighting styles and really helped develop the series, i just adore it.

i don't know why 5 gets knocked down by some, though. i loved the balls off of that one. 3 just gets hurt because some folks didn't like the orphanage stuff as much (related: ya'll should watch Sonatine), and Mine/CIA was a bad villain thing to go with.

I definitely like 5 more than 3, and any negative opinion I give about any Yakuza game should be prefaced with an acknowledgement that I like every Yakuza game I've played. I even think Dead Souls is kinda neat.

Riposte

I love Mine. Top to bottom. Underutilized, but he's my favorite villain (and the strongest one, if you want to get into GameFAQs level power level arguing). Seems like he didn't get a lot use in Ishin! either, not that I'm ever going to find out first hand.

I love Mine. Top to bottom. Underutilized, but he's my favorite villain (and the strongest one, if you want to get into GameFAQs level power level arguing). Seems like he didn't get a lot use in Ishin! either, not that I'm ever going to find out first hand.

Mine rocked in Ishin, I was so glad they brought him back for that game and I personally thought he was used well in the story. Its not like a couple of other characters that were barely used and got unceremoniously killed off screen...

I liked 5 but despite it having more amazing contents than 4, it didn't really manage to captivate me in the same way. I still have tons of side quests and another drama stuff left to do in 5, whereas in 4 I finished every single sub-story (twice). I loved and finished all its (post-game in menu) challenges though. I love these stuff in all Yakuza titles and Y5 wasn't any different. Although it felt a little easier than challenges in Y4.

Main plot also wasn't as epic and captivating as I wanted it to be and the plot twist was (partially) very obvious. Though, the last chapter (especially for Akiyama and Kiryu) was simply amazing so I really enjoyed that.

Overall, I'll rank 5 above 3 but below 4. I was just much more interested/invested in the characters and main plot of Y4, than I was in the ones from Y5.

I liked 5 but despite it having more amazing contents than 4, it didn't really manage to captivate me in the same way. I still have tons of side quests and another drama stuff left to do in 5, whereas in 4 I finished every single sub-story (twice). I loved and finished all its (post-game in menu) challenges though. I love these stuff in all Yakuza titles and Y5 wasn't any different. Although it felt a little easier than challenges in Y4.

Main plot also wasn't as epic and captivating as I wanted it to be and the plot twist was (partially) very obvious. Though, the last chapter (especially for Akiyama and Kiryu) was simply amazing so I really enjoyed that.

Overall, I'll rank 5 above 3 but below 4. I was just much more interested/invested in the characters and main plot of Y4, than I was in the ones from Y5.

5's problem for me was the weak reveal of the final boss. The character just didn't feel like a decent choice for a final boss in personality or motivation. That said, the actual final boss battle itself was certainly epic (the setting, the QTE's, the music etc.) so I still absolutely loved it. 4 was better in terms of final bosses (even if most people hate Tanimura's final boss!), I really want to replay 4 again just for that one moment.

The challenges were definitely easier in 5 though, I ploughed through them in an evening, which is probably the same amount of time it took me to do that damn boat challenge in Yakuza 4! 0 has a couple of tough challenges as well - some of the boss rush stuff is tough, as is a couple of Majima's later challenges.

5's problem for me was the weak reveal of the final boss. The character just didn't feel like a decent choice for a final boss in personality or motivation. That said, the actual final boss battle itself was certainly epic (the setting, the QTE's, the music etc.) so I still absolutely loved it. 4 was better in terms of final bosses (even if most people hate Tanimura's final boss!), I really want to replay 4 again just for that one moment.

The challenges were definitely easier in 5 though, I ploughed through them in an evening, which is probably the same amount of time it took me to do that damn boat challenge in Yakuza 4! 0 has a couple of tough challenges as well - some of the boss rush stuff is tough, as is a couple of Majima's later challenges.

Yeah, the final battle itself was the highlight of the game for me. It's just a shame that story side of things weren't up to snuff. Also, agreed on Y4 bosses. That game in general felt better in regards to how it handled the boss battles and the lead up to them. If you don't mind me asking Shadow, how does Y0 fair in that regard?

Good to know that it wasn't just me. The boat, one of those fighting missions with Saejima, one of the sprinting challenges, in general Y4's challenges were more tough and memorable. In comparison the only challenge from Y5 that I actually remember is a weapon related one and I remember that even that one wasn't particular difficult. It's good to hear that Y0 has tougher challenges.

Yeah, the final battle itself was the highlight of the game for me. It's just a shame that story side of things weren't up to snuff. Also, agreed on Y4 bosses. That game in general felt better in regards to how it handled the boss battles and the lead up to them. If you don't mind me asking Shadow, how does Y0 fair in that regard?

Good to know that it wasn't just me. The boat, one of those fighting missions with Saejima, one of the sprinting challenges, in general Y4's challenges were more tough and memorable. In comparison the only challenge from Y5 that I actually remember is a weapon related one and I remember that even that one wasn't particular difficult. It's good to hear that Y0 has tougher challenges.

Without spoiling too much on 0's bosses...

There is one character who is a recurring boss throughout the game (for Kiryu) and is pretty much my favourite character in the entire game (or close to it). He gets a bunch of awesome boss battles and is just an awesome antagonist all round. Kiryu's final boss is probably my highlight in the game - just because it feels suitably epic (as you'd expect) down to the QTE's and pre fight FMV which gets you insanely hyped!

Majima gets a load of cool bosses as well - there are two in particular that I really liked due to the character choices for said battles. He also gets a couple of really cool fights early into his story.

So yeah, there are some great fights all round in 0, a couple of nice surprises for sure and the ending certainly does not disappoint (just have a couple of hours spare to play it, as its got one long finale including numerous cutscenes post final boss and post credits).

Without spoiling too much on 0's bosses...

There is one character who is a recurring boss throughout the game (for Kiryu) and is pretty much my favourite character in the entire game (or close to it). He gets a bunch of awesome boss battles and is just an awesome antagonist all round. Kiryu's final boss is probably my highlight in the game - just because it feels suitably epic (as you'd expect) down to the QTE's and pre fight FMV which gets you insanely hyped!

Majima gets a load of cool bosses as well - there are two in particular that I really liked due to the character choices for said battles. He also gets a couple of really cool fights early into his story.

So yeah, there are some great fights all round in 0, a couple of nice surprises for sure and the ending certainly does not disappoint (just have a couple of hours spare to play it, as its got one long finale including numerous cutscenes post final boss and post credits).
Thanks Shadow. You can't believe how hyped I am right now after reading your post. My main worries with Y0 were A) bosses might not be as memorable as earlier titles in the series and B) story might be not be too exciting since it's a prequel and all that.

It's great to know that I was needlessly worried about the bosses, and hopefully this means that the same can be said about the story.

bluethree

2 was just such a huge jump from 1, and had some of the best plot/cast, as far as villains/etc. 4 introduced new characters & fighting styles and really helped develop the series, i just adore it.

i don't know why 5 gets knocked down by some, though. i loved the balls off of that one. 3 just gets hurt because some folks didn't like the orphanage stuff as much (related: ya'll should watch Sonatine), and Mine/CIA was a bad villain thing to go with.

3 has a special place in my heart because I lived in southern japan (not okinawa though) and it captures the feel of provincial parts of the country SO well. Just what I needed at the time.

raven777

the demo is up in JP store!
The file size is 36GB so I assume it's full version with just locking it for first chapter.

Oh man, I don't think I can do this again. Another minimum of 2 years with the Japanese version of the new Yakuza game already being out.

IrishNinja

...ya'll crazy

we got guides on Ishin, and 0 months out - 6 looks incredible but i'm gonna wait till its localized! or at least easier to understand, haha

Jimrpg

Chapter 2 and 3 are pretty boring in Y5, its probably where a lot of people stopped playing. But now that I'm right near the end, I can say that Chapter 4 and the Finale chapter redeem it somewhat. It would be even better if I spent more time wandering around doing side quests at a slower pace I think, and I'm going to do that on my next run through while waiting for Y6.

Overall I liked Y5, but I did not like the game during Chapter 2 and 3 and stopped playing for a while.

...ya'll crazy

we got guides on Ishin, and 0 months out - 6 looks incredible but i'm gonna wait till its localized! or at least easier to understand, haha

Evil gangstas, government conspiracy, Daigo being an idiot/tool/injured/idiot again, Majima boss fight, someone getting shot after Kiryu turns his back on a seemingly defeated enemy. I'd be shocked if most of this doesn't happen in 6 ;) But seriously I can't wait to play this soon, with all the awesome guides that crop up so quickly after the games release it'll be easy to get through the game while I wait for the eventual English release and then do the whole damn thing again.

IrishNinja

*hah! fair enough...also, reposting

TdOE5LU.jpg

guise what is goin on, why cant i download it

It's often regarded as the weakest in the main series aside from the first one. I honestly don't remember much of the story either.

It doesn't help that the US release had a lot of content cut from it.

Even at it's worst, Yakuza 3 is still a good game. Just compared to others in the series that it's weak.

Interesting. I remember there being some controversy around the cut content but wasn't that mostly tied to side activities and not the main story? They removed the Hostess bars and the quiz game (or something like that), right? I mean, it sucks that stuff got cut, but for me personally that stuff wasn't really the side stuff that I cared about, so it didn't really impact me (obviously thoughts on that content is all based on personal preference.

I would be curious to know why Yakuza 3 is regarded as one of the weaker entries. Based on what I played and the trailers I had seen the story seemed a little more like Y1's in that it wasn't quite as over the top as Y2.

IrishNinja

how y'all liking this Y6 demo so far? it looks incredible, but man it's pushing me to wait on localization with all these tense cutscenes, haha.

also who the hell leaves inversion on both axis by default?! cmon!!

how y'all liking this Y6 demo so far? it looks incredible, but man it's pushing me to wait on localization with all these tense cutscenes, haha.

also who the hell leaves inversion on both axis by default?! cmon!!

the inversion is a series trait now. I instinctively change it every time I start any game in the series else it'll drive me mad real quick.

As for the demo itself, it had the opposite effect on me since it proves that I can't possibly wait for a translation, I gotta import it straight away! Its the most fun I've had with a game all year, the changes are excellent, the lack of loading and added openness of the city is a huge improvement and graphically it looks ace as well.

SephLuis

Interesting. I remember there being some controversy around the cut content but wasn't that mostly tied to side activities and not the main story? They removed the Hostess bars and the quiz game (or something like that), right? I mean, it sucks that stuff got cut, but for me personally that stuff wasn't really the side stuff that I cared about, so it didn't really impact me (obviously thoughts on that content is all based on personal preference.

I would be curious to know why Yakuza 3 is regarded as one of the weaker entries. Based on what I played and the trailers I had seen the story seemed a little more like Y1's in that it wasn't quite as over the top as Y2.

The main story is weak and I forgot pretty much everything about it. They started with a slow pace to show Kiryu new way of life, but I can't really anything from later developments. It didn't had any impact. This is pretty bad considering Y2 story and Y4.

The battle system was good, but it was showing fatigue after Y2. Before Y3, there was Yakuza Kenzan which was the first game to use multiple combat styles (seen also in Ishin and Y0 and Kiwami) instead of just one. Later entries changed the combat so much that Y3 ends up forgotten.

The side activities are par for the course in the series, but we also had the localization issues. I cannot remember if there was anything really good from it. In the west it was the first to use the camera to learn new moves (the system was first used in Kenzan) and that's it. Y4 I also don't remember much in regards of side activities, but Y5 was absolutelly overkill on this regard.

So Y3 isn't a bad game, but everything about it gets overshadowed by other games in the series.

How does the combat system in demo fair to Y0, guys? I can't help but think that losing styles will lead to less options and creativity in combat.

Is that true for the demo or have they found some other way to add depth to the fights?

How does the combat system in demo fair to Y0, guys? I can't help but think that losing styles will lead to less options and creativity in combat.

Is that true for the demo or have they found some other way to add depth to the fights?

Hard to say so far, if anything it harkens back to pre 0 combat - one solid style with a large list of (unlockable) moves. Main difference I see here is the heat mode you activate with R2 which definitely gives you access to some of the heavy/tank moves from Yakuza 0/Kiwami. You can pick up larger weapons like motor cycles, and while in heat mode (like in Zero/Kiwami) you can instantly pick up weapons and use them just by standing near them and pressing the attack button (so you pick up the weapon and go straight into the combo), Plenty of contextual heat moves as expected, but we won't know the full extent of the combat until the full game is out, as you can't really unlock any extra moves in the demo.
All I can say for certain is that the combat in this demo feels worlds better than the combat in the initial demo released at the beginning of the year with Kiwami.

Hard to say so far, if anything it harkens back to pre 0 combat - one solid style with a large list of (unlockable) moves. Main difference I see here is the heat mode you activate with R2 which definitely gives you access to some of the heavy/tank moves from Yakuza 0/Kiwami. You can pick up larger weapons like motor cycles, and while in heat mode (like in Zero/Kiwami) you can instantly pick up weapons and use them just by standing near them and pressing the attack button (so you pick up the weapon and go straight into the combo), Plenty of contextual heat moves as expected, but we won't know the full extent of the combat until the full game is out, as you can't really unlock any extra moves in the demo.
All I can say for certain is that the combat in this demo feels worlds better than the combat in the initial demo released at the beginning of the year with Kiwami.

Hmm, I see. So they kinda found a way to mix different styles and put the moves in one, huh?

That might be even more interesting than Zero if it is fully realized. Which makes me wonder about something else. Do you have access to upgrade descriptions in the demo even if you can buy them yet? I'm interested to see if they've added pause combos to add to the variety of moves which might've been affected due to removing styles.

Hmm, I see. So they kinda found a way to mix different styles and put the moves in one, huh?

That might be even more interesting than Zero if it is fully realized. Which makes me wonder about something else. Do you have access to upgrade descriptions in the demo even if you can buy them yet? I'm interested to see if they've added pause combos to add to the variety of moves which might've been affected due to removing styles.

I'll have to check again. I didn't put very much time into the upgrade side of things yet. I'd just settle for a heat list at the moment so I know which heat moves I can pull off in the demo.

This thread had me at "Bear Fight"

One thing I love about the asset recycling in the series is that the Bear model gets reused a couple more times. He pops up in a Ishin side story and if you know where to look, he's in Zero as well ;)

SephLuis

I just finished the demo and, god damn, it was long.

Mostly because 95% was the opening cutscenes. I played 2 hours or more and had 2 fights only.

Can't say anything about the battle system because most of it is locked. Kiryu also handles very differently. Seems a lot more heavy to move and I felt the heat action wasn't packing enough of a punch.

Unfortunately, can't say when I will be able to pick up the full version to give better impressions =/

Fjordson

Somehow missed this thread, good stuff Irish.

I started with 3 and 4 on PS3, just incredible games. I read up on the stories of 1 and 2 to get familiar with everything before playing 3, but I do want to go back to them someday.

I really should play 5, but my PS3 is in my garage and I'm a lazy bastard. Wish that had been on PS4. Oh well, looking forward to 0 and hopefully Y6.

I just finished the demo and, god damn, it was long.

Mostly because 95% was the opening cutscenes. I played 2 hours or more and had 2 fights only.

Can't say anything about the battle system because most of it is locked. Kiryu also handles very differently. Seems a lot more heavy to move and I felt the heat action wasn't packing enough of a punch.

Unfortunately, can't say when I will be able to pick up the full version to give better impressions =/
Overall, would you say that you are more interested in Y6 battle system or did you enjoyed their style-based approach in Y0 better?

SephLuis

Overall, would you say that you are more interested in Y6 battle system or did you enjoyed their style-based approach in Y0 better?

Currently, I would say I prefer Y0 system.

It's unfair comparing now since most of the battle system was locked. My only issue with Y0 battle system is that it was grindy. You needed waaay too much money to get a lot of skills. Y6 also worries me in this regard, but I doubt it will be in the same level as Y0.

matmanx1

Awesome thread! I will forever love Yakuza 2 as my introduction to the series. I am very much looking forward to Yakuza 0 and appreciate all the hardwork and love that went into making this post.

Currently, I would say I prefer Y0 system.

It's unfair comparing now since most of the battle system was locked. My only issue with Y0 battle system is that it was grindy. You needed waaay too much money to get a lot of skills. Y6 also worries me in this regard, but I doubt it will be in the same level as Y0.

6 seems to give you decent amounts of XP at the moment for upgrades, but that could well change in the final game. I didn't find 0 that bad for XP since money was so plentiful in my experience, Ishin was 100 times worse because that took forever to get XP after a point and because all the good stuff was locked toward the end of the skill trees (you basically had to do lots of optional stuff really early on if you wanted to take full benefit of the awesome battle system, else you'd probably only be half way levelled up by the end of the game)

It was thanks to NeoGAF that I tried out Yakuza. I started with 4, completed it, and really enjoyed it. Playing through 5 now, and have 0 on pre-order for January!

It's a hard game to explain to other people- but the first post does a better job of it than I ever could! Great stuff :)

Auctopus

Quick question that's probably been asked a thousand times: Is grabbing the Yakuza 6 demo as simple as finding a Japanese address and creating a Japanese account?

Quick question that's probably been asked a thousand times: Is grabbing the Yakuza 6 demo as simple as finding a Japanese address and creating a Japanese account?

Just create a Hong Kong account instead, its easier to navigate the PS4 store if its in English (well, in theory, its still a pain to navigate!)

Menitta

I really want to grab Kiwami just for fun but I'm not sure if I should hold off for potential localization. What do I do?

Top Bottom