• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Idle Thumbs Megathread | Indepth discussion inbetween horsebags and birdsounds

Jake

Hey Jake,

In a recent episode you were talking about about 2D side scrolling game control setups with directional keyboard controls and mouse aiming (I think in relation to Owl Boy?). You mentioned Abuse as your first memory of this setup - I thought at the time that surely as a fine Mac gaming lad you'd have played Dark Castle well before this?

Also, just in case you haven't seen it - there's a Secret History of Mac Gaming book being crowd funded and published soon.

Whoa I forgot that Dark Castle had hybrid controls. Do you use the mouse for throwing rocks? Abuse was the first one I played that had the fluid feeling of a twin stick game but used wasd/mouse. I was one of the people who crowdfunded that Mac gaming book. Looking forward to it!

radaxian

Whoa I forgot that Dark Castle had hybrid controls. Do you use the mouse for throwing rocks? Abuse was the first one I played that had the fluid feeling of a twin stick game but used wasd/mouse. I was one of the people who crowdfunded that Mac gaming book. Looking forward to it!

Yeah mouse was for rocks. It wasn't the most fluid game. I think as you moved your mouse around the arm sort of ratcheted its way around into steps of 30 degrees or something too.

Looking forward to the book - I backed it too.

Cheers

eot

Banned
I think you had quite precise aiming in Dark Castle (well, I actually only played Beyond The Dark Castle). The arm didn't rotate continuously but I think you could shoot at any angle.

In Abuse you actually had a crosshair though. That game is intense as hell. Probably the first game I can remember being scary.

Mafro

In the latest Dark Souls stream, Nick easily stumbles his way into a secret zone yet again: https://clips.twitch.tv/idlethumbs/HealthyPheasantUleetBackup
And he found a bug that let him jump in midair while trying a new shortcut: https://clips.twitch.tv/idlethumbs/SleepyCrocodileFailFish
Nick's stream hs been full of so many weird moments that would only happen to him.

What's this "Internalization" thing on the stream and people typing percentages in the chat all about?

Anno

Nick's stream hs been full of so many weird moments that would only happen to him.

What's this "Internalization" thing on the stream and people typing percentages in the chat all about?

It's a riff on when he said on a pod that he had totally internalized DS3 after like a couple hours then got wrecked over and over. So now people can type in %s to chat of how much they feel like Nick actually has internalized the game and the bot averages out the last however many and displays it.

Jintor

Chris trying to describe anime was amazing.

We need to lock him and Dan Rycart in a room together and make them watch evangelion

kiyomi

Currently 8 hours into Nick's Ornstein & Smough nightmare. Janel has the patience of a saint, haha.

Also wasn't this the boss Patrick Klepek beat on like, his first try? I feel like someone should've told Nick that during the stream. :D

eot

Banned
Patrick had the luck of the Devil when he played Dark Souls.

For O&S he was also 25 levels higher, wore Havel's, used a Silver Knight Shield, had a weapon that did 50% more base damage and buffed himself with Power Within. If you add that up it makes a huge difference. Nick actually played way better.

Mafro

Chris' constant "oh my god" during Nick's Dark Souls story when he talked about tabbing out of the game and the frame rate bug were so funny.

And holy shit at the most recent DS stream immediately starting off with Nick accidentally attacking an NPC.

mcw

Just finished the podcast. That segment at the end where Chris talks about The Senpai was pretty great. I appreciate the callout to a lesser-known game like that; I'm probably gonna have to give that a shot now.

There's room for a really amazing Thumbs conversation in the future about great visual novels, or games that are effective at comedy... but both of those are such minefields that it may never happen unless someone is willing to just send them a curated list, or put together a "book" club.

mcw

I'm imagining Chris's reaction to katawa shojo and laughing

That's... probably not the first one I'd recommend, for obvious reasons (even though the Rin story is really interesting). Christine Love has put out some great stuff, there are a couple Japanese horror visual novels that are worth visiting-- any others?

Jintor

baboo baby's first VA should be either Christine Love's ones since they are geared more towards western audiences just with anime tropes thrown on top (although I personally don't hold analogue in high regard) or probably Ace Attorney imho.

or va11-hallA, but I kinda think that's just... a game. and i haven't finished it yet

Mafro

Holy shit the livestream of this weeks episode so far. Jake has left the intro theme on a loop by accident and it's been going for a good five minutes now while they do the podcast as normal completely oblivious.

Jake

Holy shit the livestream of this weeks episode so far. Jake has left the intro theme on a loop by accident and it's been going for a good five minutes now while they do the podcast as normal completely oblivious.

This is why I leave a disclaimer before every livestream, hahaha. I noticed it about 15 minutes into the episode. Fortunately its not baked into the audio we record out through the board so the normal podcast is saved, and we'll fix it for the youtube version.

Shaneus

I'm a little surprised about the lack of No Man's Sky discussion on Thumbs. Figured it would've been solid fodder for Chris to get into, controversies aside.

I'm only a listener but all these stories of Nick Mr. Magooing his way through Dark Souls has spurned me to give a look into the twitch archive.

Also, I'm seriously impressed Nick apparently beat Kalameet too.

EDIT: Nick looks nothing like I imagined him to look like in my mind but he also look exactly like how he sounds like too if that makes any sense.

I'm a little surprised about the lack of No Man's Sky discussion on Thumbs. Figured it would've been solid fodder for Chris to get into, controversies aside.

I should try it again post-patch. It just didn't really call me back after my first playthrough after release. But yeah in theory it feels like my jam.

I'm only a listener but all these stories of Nick Mr. Magooing his way through Dark Souls has spurned me to give a look into the twitch archive.

Also, I'm seriously impressed Nick apparently beat Kalameet too.

EDIT: Nick looks nothing like I imagined him to look like in my mind but he also look exactly like how he sounds like too if that makes any sense.

he just started dark souls 2 today. really fun invasion fight against kyir (from twitch chat) towards the very end of the stream. https://www.twitch.tv/idlethumbs/v/106397618

we give him a hard time in chat, but he's actually gotten really good at timing dodges and managing stamina. not so much about observing the environment.

border

The gameplay at the core of No Man's Sky is just so mind-numbingly dumb and tedious that I don't think it'll see much redemption. Some of the quality of life stuff they introduced will allow you to skip the dull resource collection, but without that there's really nothing driving the game. You just visit a bunch of same-y planets and that's it.

The Thumbs crew likes strange emergent behaviors and situations that occur in open-world settings, but there aren't really enough systems at work in No Man's Sky to really facilitate that sort of thing. I guess you get the occasional story about how someone landed on a planet full of insane murder-robots, though.

convo

Patrick had the luck of the Devil when he played Dark Souls.

Patrick doesn't bring anything new to the dark souls table, he talks the same stuff every one else has already done with a few years delay. He curates some Dark souls stuff from the reddit but other than that i don't care. Weird shit happening in dark souls isn't surprising anymore to me, the last 5 years has filled out the possibility space for watching people play Souls games.

Top Bottom