• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#DarkSoulsDowngrade and #YOULIED \\ a.k.a You got some splainin' to do, Namco

Animorganimate

Neo Member
Not to belittle your specific claim, but it seems like some people are sitting around waiting to complain about anything and everything that comes their way.

Zeppeli

Banned
#YOULIED is pretty unnecessary.

The answer will be, at best, "Games change during development. We had to cut corners for performance." You know this is the answer.

#YOULIED is a joke.

1lSJOzAO.png

Ghazi

What's the point of the disclaimer so in all honesty???

Just because the lighting looked reat doesn't mean the build itself was stable enough for release. Perhaps they had to rollback to the last safest build? Hmmm?

Again, at least for me, this isn't the problem. They never said they didn't do this, and they continued to show the graphically superior footage (even on launch day with a new trailer that showcased the older, better graphics).

Havel

I think some of you guys missed the point of the #YOULIED tag, so I removed it from the instructions at the bottom. It tried to be just something a bit witty and cheeky with the reference. It is now just a novelty in the title.

epmode

The answer will be, at best, "Games change during development. We had to cut corners for performance." You know this is the answer.

In this case, cutting graphical features actually impacted the gameplay. The whole torch mechanic is gone.

The game should have been delayed until

A. the lighting worked properly and the torch mechanic was retained
or
B. the previously pitch-black areas were redesigned to account for the lighting changes. (Fix the repetitive textures, remove the useless sconces, etc.)

Moneal

That's because Dark Souls 2 is already out and people are playing it and (mostly) happy with it whereas Watch_Dogs isn't out yet and we don't know what it really looks like.

so we know one game was downgraded and its just fine. yet one we where we think it might be downgraded, but have no real idea, and its the end of the world and the game is ruined.

The difference between this and watch dogs, is that with Watch Dogs, they've shown the downgrade months before release. Dark Souls 2 players had to find out what? A couple of days before the game was out.

In this case, cutting graphical features actually impacted the gameplay. The whole torch mechanic is gone.

A. the lighting worked
or
B. the previously pitch-black areas were redesigned to account for the lighting changes

I agree with the sentiment but the vast majority of people playing it don't seem to care and probably wouldn't have liked a delay. The one thing I agree with concerning this petition is that the console version should have been showed in full effect prior to release. Nobody who bought it expected the game to look how it did. It may look fine still and be a great game but it was misleading.

nynt9

A. the lighting worked
or
B. the previously pitch-black areas were redesigned to account for the lighting changes

The torch mechanic still has its uses, some monsters fear light and you can make certain areas a lot easier by using torches.

so we know one game was downgraded while and its just fine. yet one we where we think it might be downgraded, but have no real idea, and its the end of the world and the game is ruined.

Or maybe, and this is my personal opinion, we know the game is different (not necessarily downgraded severely) but it's alright, so it's not a big deal. The game looks gorgeous visually and I thought the original reveal footage looked hideous in terms of lighting.

jorgeton

A. the lighting worked
or

Ehh. Then people would've been up in arms about the delay. The pitch black area loss is not that big a deal IMO. And if it is for a player, then turn down your tv brightness?

Game looks pretty good otherwise.

"#youlied" is just comical. I hope this gets some traction just because the people doing it would think of it as a rallying cry while everyone else would just be laughing at the wordplay.

En-ou

wow..this is sooo lame lol. you think they downgraded the game cause they felt like it...? dark souls isn't about some spiffy lighting graphical fx.

maomaoIYP

I was on media blackout before the game was released and I've been playing the game for the past two nights. I think the game looks great and I'm not really concerned whether they showed some other code prerelease. It happens for a lot of hyped big titles, and Dark Souls 2 is no exception.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Why are yall bothering PR people? Do you guys honestly think you'll get legitimate answers from them?

Karkador

Banned
The difference between this and watch dogs, is that with Watch Dogs, they've shown the downgrade months before release. Dark Souls 2 players had to find out what? A couple of days before the game was out.

Nope, the element of surprise makes it totally okay.

Also, Watch_Dogs is next-gen. The PS3, a system that ran The Last of Us and GT5 just fine, is now an old last-gen dinosaur that cannot handle putting more than 1 vase in a hallway.

RK9039

That's because Dark Souls 2 is already out and people are playing it and (mostly) happy with it whereas Watch_Dogs isn't out yet and we don't know what it really looks like.

Exactly.

And that's why this thread exists, because people only found out after they bought the game. At least with Watching Dogs the game isn't out but the downgrade has been confirmed months before the release giving people time to reconsider their purchase, or not.

Whether the game is good or not is completely irrelevant to this discussion.

Havel

The issue I am trying to get at is they advertised features until release. If they made a video that explained they removed features before release, then this would not be a problem. Especially when said features were things From were really bragging about and trying to sell us.

fader

This was an incredibly ballsy thing of Namco to do (and not in a good way)

especially since we are have the internet and one mistake can get blown

up for the world to see.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
An in-joke. How will the people who see this message which will be spread around the internet see it?

It's an in-joke and it's true. Their marketing materials all the way up until release use a build of the game that doesn't exist for purchase. That's lying. They are attempting to deceive the customer in ways that, for some unknown reason, people have become okay with.

If your game isn't good looking enough to show off, then don't fucking show it off. Don't make builds that are targets you'll never hit. Quit lying to the customer and show off what you have with a disclaimer that it's not done. Instead somehow we've all accepted that we're going to be lied to and nobody will even so much as say "This is a target we'd like to achieve, but is unrealistic"

FSLink

Banned
but they are not EA or Ubi. they are the only two evil corps that would pull this type of thing. [/sarcasm]

Seriously? "Scamco" has been a common term for Namco, so they definitely receive hate at times too.

It's an in-joke and it's true. Their marketing materials all the way up until release use a build of the game that doesn't exist for purchase. That's lying. They are attempting to deceive the customer in ways that, for some unknown reason, people have become okay with.

If your game isn't good looking enough to show off, then don't fucking show it off. Don't make builds that are targets you'll never hit.

Precisely.

Nope, the element of surprise makes it totally okay.

Also, Watch_Dogs is next-gen. The PS3, a system that ran The Last of Us and GT5 just fine, is now an old last-gen dinosaur that cannot handle putting more than 1 vase in a hallway.

I didn't say it was okay. I was making a comparison. Also I'm in the crowd that thinks the PS3 COULD run the game with all the lighting effects. I've posted screenshots of the 1080p 60 fps trailer and it WASN'T next gen looking.

What's the point of the disclaimer so in all honesty???

Just because the lighting looked reat doesn't mean the build itself was stable enough for release. Perhaps they had to rollback to the last safest build? Hmmm?

The disclamer isn't a wall that gives them a right to drag people's expectations along. At a certain point (probably halfway through the year of it being shown) people are going to believe that is what the product will look like. It has been shown in trailers, a beta, gameplay previews, and the only time we are seeing these massive downgrades is at release? That isn't right.

From what I hear the game has a pretty hard time keeping 30fps consistently, so I'm sure that's the reason.

Then again, they showed that advanced lighting system for a long time before junking it right before release.

epmode

Ehh. Then people would've been up in arms about the delay. The pitch black area loss is not that big a deal IMO. And if it is for a player, then turn down your tv brightness?

I thought the torch thing looked great. Besides the combat variations, it allowed you to visually etch your progress right into the world itself. And it's not like you'd be lighting torches in every room.

Remember, From was very keen on the feature right until the very end. They talked about it a lot.

By the way, turning down brightness doesn't accomplish the same thing. It was literally impossible to see beyond a certain range when the torch mechanic was in place. Gamma settings don't work like that.

The disclamer isn't a wall that gives them a right to drag people's expectations along. At a certain point (probably halfway through the year of it being shown) people are going to believe that is what the product will look like. It has been shown in trailers, a beta, gameplay previews, and the only time we are seeing these massive downgrades is at release? That isn't right.

What IS the disclaimer then if you ignore what it literally says? You keep saying what it isn't. What is it?

kayos90

If enough noise is made those PR people will bug people who will give us answers.

No. You have it backwards. If noise is made, the devs or executives are going to feel bothered and will force the PR people to give some answer, one that is most likely fluffed up bullshit. PR people aren't going to feel threatened enough to give an answer to this at all.

nynt9

Exactly.

And that's why this thread exists, because people only found out after they bought the game. At least with Watching Dogs the game isn't out but the downgrade has been confirmed months before the release giving people time to reconsider their purchase, or not.

Whether the game is good or not is completely irrelevant to this discussion.

Why does this thread exist in addition to the other thread, then? I think you people look unnecessarily vindictive. Also, Vaati's several videos right before release (and similar videos from others) showcased the game as it is on retail release. You guys are cherry picking older videos that look "better" yet are ignoring the videos that fully show the final version.

Karkador

Banned
I didn't say it was okay. I was making a comparison. Also I'm in the crowd that thinks the PS3 COULD run the game with all the lighting effects. I've posted screenshots of the 1080p 60 fps trailer and it WASN'T next gen looking.

It was sarcasm in your favor! I'm with you. #YOULIED

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
How in anyway is this hyperbole?

It's about getting answers about why we were shown, and told, something major different until release.

Getting answers? What the hell planet do you live on? It was a demo of unreleased software that didn't match the 1.0 release. The answer you're looking for is reality.

Valnen

No. You have it backwards. If noise is made, the devs or executives are going to feel bothered and will force the PR people to give some answer, one that is most likely fluffed up bullshit. PR people aren't going to feel threatened enough to give an answer to this at all.

I don't think you're right. We've gotten shit done in the past, you just have to keep making noise.

I was on media blackout before the game was released and I've been playing the game for the past two nights. I think the game looks great and I'm not really concerned whether they showed some other code prerelease. It happens for a lot of hyped big titles, and Dark Souls 2 is no exception.

So we should just bend over and take it? This shit shouldn't happen at all.

They're showing you something prettier than the final game to entice you to buy it and then everything is downgraded for various reasons and the end result is nothing like what was shown. That's pretty shitty

I don't think they did it intentionally or anything but it's still shitty as a consumer

Munkybhai

Is the game fun? Thats all that matters.
There's no need to get worked up by graphics. If you bought a game for the graphics primarily, then you have your priorities wrong. The problem is that games developers know that most people are easily swayed by something flashy and sparkly and will buy a game based on the promise that better graphics somehow translate into better games. In truth, we are the suckers for buying into hype.

epmode

if you wanna hurt Namco
Because that's clearly the goal of this thread.

So we should just bend over and take it? This shit shouldn't happen at all.

They're showing you something prettier than the final game to entice you to buy it and then everything is downgraded for various reasons and the end result is nothing like what was shown. That's pretty shitty

I don't think they did it intentionally or anything but it's still shitty as a consumer

Would you agree that the final game looks very different from the official footage released by Namco? I think everyone would agree that it does. Namco was releasing misleading footage right up until a month before the game launched. They never came clean.

At least Ubisoft was honest well before Watch Dogs was released.

kayos90

I don't think you're right. We've gotten shit done in the past, you just have to keep making noise.

False cause. Just because you made noise and shit happened doesn't mean the explanation you gave earlier is valid.

What IS the disclaimer then if you ignore what it literally says? You keep saying what it isn't. What is it?

It really doesn't amount to much. It's just something they can say they had in case something like this happens, and can try to use it as damage control. It's not a legal right to show whatever they want to advertise their product.

Either way, that doesn't really matter. They said they wrote an entirely new engine for specific things like lighting. Never once were we lead to believe that would be changing. They told us that it would look that way, and it did right until they released the game. That is false advertisement.

Top Bottom