• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda talks about Switch expectations, why they're supporting the platform, future

StormKing

I think Skyrim will sell fine because it is similar to Breath of the Wild in concept. I am concerned that DOOM will under-perform because it doesn't appear that the audience for that kind of game are on Nintendo systems.

I think Skyrim will sell fine because it is similar to Breath of the Wild in concept. I am concerned that DOOM will under-perform because it doesn't appear that the audience for that kind of game are on Nintendo systems.

They should've called it Mario + Doom and it would be a guarantee big seller.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
It's gane with retro sensibilties which seems to be "in" thing for the console. I'm sure it'll do fine.

HyGogg

Banned
I think getting idTech 6 running well on Switch will give them a leg up going forward. That's a very fast engine that scales really well. If they push that engine in future releases, I think we'll see some great Switch support.

Turrican3

Nintendo fans bought it for Zelda, everyone else for Wii Sports. And Nintendo fans are the only ones that bought a WiiU, so it's pretty easy to count them.
It's not that easy, I think.

WiiU was an unappealing hardware that even Nintendo lovers did not buy.

On the other hand, Wii allowed many classic Nintendo franchises to achieve record sales.

I guess it all comes down to the level of success (or failure) that each platform manages to reach...

Vena

Marvel vs Capcom Infinite dev laughed too when asked about the possibility of a Switch version. I think execs will get skinned alive by investors at the next meeting lol.

sorry I can't stop ranting about Capcom, I'm just too salty

MvCI has bigger problems to worry about than the lack of a Switch version. Like, no one buying it.

atr0cious

If they wanted a sure thing, then why USFII.

That was a sure thing to no one before it got the numbers it did.
I'm sure this was to go along with the whole lapsed old school gamer aesthetic Nintendo was going for with Blaster Master and Bomberman. I would've liked SfIII3 myself, but whatever it sold well.

All talk of a sure thing goes out the window when they're betting on a game that abandons its franchises core audience right now.

Also whilst they twiddle their thumbs other publishers are going to be raking it in. No one will care about Okami HD Switch Edition in 2019 when they finally pull their finger out.
Isn't Sony the original core audience though? And this has been litigated many times, but Stories just came out, which is just as important to them. Just like DBZF being a sure thing, but publishers aren't gonna drown the old thing currently coming out with the new hotness coming next year. It's why Nintendo is steady on the switch being a home console despite all the traditional handheld game devs already moving over to the switch.

And people will pay attention to Okami hd, because just like the Revelations ports, it'll be tailored to the system and will be hailed as the definitive edition by some whimsical fanatics.

Oregano

I'm sure this was to go along with the whole lapsed old school gamer aesthetic Nintendo was going for with Blaster Master and Bomberman. I would've liked SfIII3 myself, but whatever it sold well.

Isn't Sony the original core audience though? And this has been litigated many times, but Stories just came out, which is just as important to them. Just like DBZF being a sure thing, but publishers aren't gonna drown the old thing currently coming out with the new hotness coming next year. It's why Nintendo is steady on the switch being a home console despite all the traditional handheld game devs already moving over to the switch.

And people will pay attention to Okami hd, because just like the Revelations ports, it'll be tailored to the system and will be hailed as the definitive edition by some whimsical fanatics.

The core audience is Japanese portable gamers, not one attached to a brand.

...and Capcom didn't even publish Stories in the west, Nintendo did.

Yo if they just showed that you can unlock Samus' armcannon or something thats an easy 250,000 copies sold.

This is something I've been talking about basically since March:

It's such a natural relationship, and it's the #1 reason why the Switch audience is dissimilar to the Wii audience- the Switch audience was brought in mostly by BotW, the Wii audience was brought in mostly by Wii Sports. This directly affects the types of games those people will buy going forward.

Very great point. I agree completely.

Fiendcode

Only if it has touchscreen Celestial Brush. In which case it'll be deserved.

Marvel vs Capcom Infinite dev laughed too when asked about the possibility of a Switch version. I think execs will get skinned alive by investors at the next meeting lol.

sorry I can't stop ranting about Capcom, I'm just too salty

Ironically I probably would pick up MvCI for the Switch just to have a fighting game on the go, but have no interest whatsoever in picking it up for the other consoles I own.

18-Volt

Doom 64 had sold very well, it received a "Gold Edition". Original Doom games were on SNES and GBA. Why can't the audience be on Nintendo systems? It's just a misconception that people think Nintendo fans are solely colorful 2D platforms lovers. I can say this: Colorful games have been the minority in Nintendo home console libraries since N64.

Fiendcode

Doom has the fps market cornered on Switch this holiday. I feel like it's going to sell huge and make EA, Activision, Ubisoft, 2K, etc a little regretful they weren't as forward thinking as Bethesda. Activision especially, no MWR Switch is such a huge oversight.

I have little interest in MVCI but I'd grab UMVC3 on Switch.

Fuck yeah I'd prefer that too but it seems less likely..though considering the tech maybe it would be easier to port?

TBH though I'd prefer MvC1 on the Switch most of all, or even some Marvel vs Street Fighter..but only with my dude Norimaro

Mshvsf_norimaro_super1.gif

norimaro.gif

Bulzeeb

I don't care that much about the 60 fps, but I will really consider my Doom purchase if it supports gyro aiming instead of dual analog, so are there any news on this?

Fiendcode

Fuck yeah I'd prefer that too but it seems less likely..though considering the tech maybe it would be easier to port?

TBH though I'd prefer MvC1 on the Switch most of all, or even some Marvel vs Street Fighter..but only with my dude Norimaro

Mshvsf_norimaro_super1.gif

norimaro.gif
Capcom should just take a note out of Hamster's book and start doing "CPS Generations" releases weekly on the eShop. I'd probably buy them all.

Vena

There wasn't much that could be done about the latter, & the game itself is still pretty fun.

MvCI feels like an attempt to tap the MCU money pot while at the same time sacrificing major elements of what made MvC popular and being given a nonsensically small budget. A quick cash-in on two popular IPs, Marvel and MvC.

If Amazon (never broke top 10 on or near release, collapsed immediately thereafter)/Steam (17,653 ± 3,908) prove representative of wider performances, MvCI isn't even going to reach a million this FY and their forecasting was for two. This is going to be a bigger mess, performance vs. expectation wise, than SFV.

A Switch version wouldn't have changed this because on the whole the product does not appear very desirable. It was trying to be Injustice with none of the qualities that make Injustice be Injustice.

Capcom should just take a note out of Hamster's book and start doing "CPS Generations" releases weekly on the eShop. I'd probably buy them all.

Damn that would be amazing. They're sleeping on such a gold mine of classics they could easily port, it really makes no sense to me considering how simple it should be to just dump the roms.

Props to Namco for the Namco Museum, a Capcom version of that could be incredible.

Neoxon

MvCI feels like an attempt to tap the MCU money pot while at the same time sacrificing major elements of what made MvC popular and being given a nonsensically small budget. A quick cash-in on two popular IPs, Marvel and MvC.

If Amazon/Steam prove representative of wider performances, MvCI isn't even going to reach a million this FY and their forecasting two. This is going to be a bigger mess, performance vs. expectation wise, than SFV.

A Switch version wouldn't have changed this because on the whole the product does not appear very desirable. It was trying to be Injustice with none of the qualities that make Injustice be Injustice.
The loss of certain MvC elements (X-Men, classic Marvel themes, etc.) were pretty much mandated by Marvel Entertainment....at least for the base roster. We’d at least have Wolverine back if it was up to Capcom or Marvel Games. And while I can see a million being sold in 6 months, I’m not sure about 2 million.

Si2k78

MvCI has bigger problems to worry about than the lack of a Switch version. Like, no one buying it.

You're right, it looks like a big mess. How does a game that came from such a strong lineage of fighting games turn into this mess.

atr0cious

The core audience is Japanese portable gamers, not one attached to a brand.

...and Capcom didn't even publish Stories in the west, Nintendo did.
I think that's what capcom is gambling on, we'll see. And your second statement means nothing, it's still their property and developed game, and both entities are known to hold back product so as to not "flood" the market.
I don't care that much about the 60 fps, but I will really consider my Doom purchase if it supports gyro aiming instead of dual analog, so are there any news on this?
Reported as not coming currently :(

SuomiDude

They support Nintendo, I support them :) I'll buy Skyrim and most likely DOOM and Wolfenstein 2. Haven't played any of them (well Wolf naturally as it hasn't even been released, but I didn't play the New Order or what was it again either).

Neoxon

To be honest, DOOM being 30fps on the Switch is kind of a deal-breaker for me. That being said, I hope it does well on the Switch so more third parties will jump on the system.

Vena

The loss of certain MvC elements (X-Men, classic Marvel themes, etc.) were pretty much mandated by Marvel Entertainment....at least for the base roster. We’d at least have Wolverine back if it was up to Capcom or Marvel Games. And while I can see a million being sold in 6 months, I’m not sure about 2 million.

I don't see a million even, performance we're able to track has been awful.

Fiendcode

Damn that would be amazing. They're sleeping on such a gold mine of classics they could easily port, it really makes no sense to me considering how simple it should be to just dump the roms.

Props to Namco for the Namco Museum, a Capcom version of that could be incredible.
Oh yeah either weekly eShop roms or a good collection release would be great for CPS/2/3 stuff. Or even a hybrid model with a base collection and then extra games as dlc. Get M2 on it and watch the cash roll in.

StormKing

Doom 64 had sold very well, it received a "Gold Edition". Original Doom games were on SNES and GBA. Why can't the audience be on Nintendo systems? It's just a misconception that people think Nintendo fans are solely colorful 2D platforms lovers. I can say this: Colorful games have been the minority in Nintendo home console libraries since N64.

Before the release of Splatoon, Nintendo's greatest first party weakness has been the lack of a solid shooter franchise. Even with Splatoon, Nintendo still doesn't have a dark gritty first party shooter comparable to PlayStation's Killzone or Xbox's Gears of War. That's why I'm doubtful that the Switch has the audience to give this game high sales numbers. Hopefully this game, Wolfenstein and Metroid Prime 4 succeed. Then, the Switch may also get Battlefield and Call of Duty.

Fiendcode

Before the release of Splatoon, Nintendo's greatest first party weakness has been the lack of a solid shooter franchise. Even with Splatoon, Nintendo still doesn't have a dark gritty first party shooter comparable to PlayStation's Killzone or Xbox's Gears of War. That's why I'm doubtful that the Switch has the audience to give this game high sales numbers. Hopefully this game, Wolfenstein and Metroid Prime 4 succeed. Then, the Switch may also get Battlefield and Call of Duty.
I expect COD is already being planned for next year, Activision's smart enough to know now they made a mistake not prioritizing Switch soon enough. Battlefield will probably warrant more tests though.

My fingers are crossed for a Fallout New Vegas at some point. I may end up getting Skyrim again just because I'll be able to take it to work with me.

People bought the Wii for Wii Sport and Twilight Princes.

No, not really. At least not to the same extent people bought the Switch for BotW. Two things stand out to me:

1) The attach rate of BotW was, after a month, over 100% in the US. You never heard anything similar about TP.

2) The conversation about Wii's software was absolutely dominated by Wii Sports and other games like Just Dance. So far with the Switch it's been nothing but BotW and Splatoon 2 for Japan. Even if the actual sales/attach rates of the games were the same, publishers want to hear that the buzz for games similar to theirs (BotW being somewhat similar to Skyrim) is very high. That's how you capitalize on a growing install base.

So there is most definitely a huge difference in the type of audience growing on the Switch versus that of the Wii, and their buying habits reflect these differences. That spells good news for Bethesda.

Jubenhimer

I honestly don't really buy that the Switch is this hardcore gamer paradise that some like to proclaim. The Switch is built with the same philosophy and similar target audience as the Wii, the difference, is Nintendo's strategy with them. With the Wii, Nintendo was going after people who never played a video game in their life. The goal was to create an entry point into the medium using simple, lifestyle concepts like Sports, fitness, music, and edutainment. They weren't targeting casual gamers in a conventional sense, they were targeting those who were put off by video games due to their increasingly complex nature.

With the Switch, Nintendo is targeting games who typically play games on a smartphone, but have never felt comfortable with, or had the time for more conventional home console games before. The system was designed to make home console gaming more accessible to those gamers who up to that point, have only been familiar with apps like Angry Birds or Clash of Clans. You can see this in Nintendo's first party games. Breath of the Wild for example, may seem like a daunting open world, but once you play it, it's actually a very simple game, as it only asks one thing from the player, just explore. Sure there's more to it if want to dig deep, but that simplicity, combined with it's pick-up-and-play short-burst sessions typical of mobile gaming is what makes it so appealing on a casual level. You can just run around chopping trees for half an hour if you want, and still have fun.

It's very different from the Wii era because Nintendo is targeting people who already play games. But the kind of gamers Nintendo is target are still very different from the more hardcore gamers that Sony and Microsoft are targeting. If Nintendo really wanted to go after Sony and Microsoft's audience, they wouldn't have made the Switch a mobile device to begin with. It would've been a bog standard console with no Joy-Con like concepts that prioritized things like competitive specs, storage space, same 3rd party games across the board, and competitive online infastructure. But they didn't, because Nintendo's target audience doesn't care about that stuff. There's a reason Bethesda's games are all late ports of older titles. It's not for hardcore gamers, it's for casuals who own a Switch and are experiencing these games for the first time.

I honestly don't really buy that the Switch is this hardcore gamer paradise that some like to proclaim. The Switch is built with the same philosophy and similar target audience as the Wii, the difference, is Nintendo's strategy with them. With the Wii, Nintendo was going after people who never played a video game in their life. The goal was to create an entry point into the medium using simple, lifestyle concepts like Sports, fitness, music, and edutainment. They weren't targeting casual gamers in a conventional sense, they were targeting those who were put off by video games due to their increasingly complex nature.

With the Switch, Nintendo is targeting games who typically play games on a smartphone, but have never felt comfortable with, or had the time for more conventional home console games before. The system was designed to make home console gaming more accessible to those gamers who up to that point, have only been familiar with apps like Angry Birds or Clash of Clans. You can see this in Nintendo's first party games. Breath of the Wild for example, may seem like a daunting open world, but once you play it, it's actually a very simple game, as it only asks one thing from the player, just explore. Sure there's more to it if want to dig deep, but that simplicity, combined with it's pick-up-and-play short-burst sessions typical of mobile gaming is what makes it so appealing on a casual level. You can just run around chopping trees for half an hour if you want, and still have fun.

It's very different from the Wii era because Nintendo is targeting people who already play games. But the kind of gamers Nintendo is target are still very different from the more hardcore gamers that Sony and Microsoft are targeting. If Nintendo really wanted to go after Sony and Microsoft's audience, they wouldn't have made the Switch a mobile device to begin with. It would've been a bog standard console with no Joy-Con like concepts that prioritized things like competitive specs, storage space, same 3rd party games across the board, and competitive online infastructure. But they didn't, because Nintendo's target audience doesn't care about that stuff. There's a reason Bethesda's games are all late ports of older titles. It's not for hardcore gamers, it's for casuals who own a Switch and are experiencing these games for the first time.

I actually agree basically fully with what you just said. I'm not trying to proclaim that Switch owners are "core gamers just like on PS and XB", but rather the audience is extremely different from the Wii audience, specifically in the types of games they buy. And I actually had another post in this thread where I start to get into how this might have happened due to "converting" smartphone gamers but I'm not sure if this is the right thread to discuss all of that.

The example used by Pete Hines was Skyrim, which is an open world RPG sorta like Zelda BotW (not strictly an RPG but whatever), and this example still works because I wouldn't call Skyrim a "core" game, as it broke out into the mainstream and then some. I guess we'll see which types of games sell better but I would definitely put my money on Skyrim selling better than something like DOOM, and both of them selling better than something like Just Dance.

Air

Banned
Will definitely be supporting Bethesda games on switch. Been wanting some fps games for a while since I don't own some kind of an Xbox anymore and I'm loving their attitude about the platform

Deku89

I actually agree basically fully with what you just said. I'm not trying to proclaim that Switch owners are "core gamers just like on PS and XB", but rather the audience is extremely different from the Wii audience, specifically in the types of games they buy. And I actually had another post in this thread where I start to get into how this might have happened due to "converting" smartphone gamers but I'm not sure if this is the right thread to discuss all of that.

The example used by Pete Hines was Skyrim, which is an open world RPG sorta like Zelda BotW (not strictly an RPG but whatever), and this example still works because I wouldn't call Skyrim a "core" game, as it broke out into the mainstream and then some. I guess we'll see which types of games sell better but I would definitely put my money on Skyrim selling better than something like DOOM, and both of them selling better than something like Just Dance.
Be careful, we might start talking about the definition of mainstream and niche ;).

I agree, the audience for the Switch and Wii are completely different. I think they are targeting more the phone market (which has evolved over the last few years).

What I find funny is that Skyrim and Skyward Sword released at around the same time (and the debate was which was better/sell more). Now Skyrim the the new Zelda are going to be on the same system.

HeroR

No, not really. At least not to the same extent people bought the Switch for BotW. Two things stand out to me:

1) The attach rate of BotW was, after a month, over 100% in the US. You never heard anything similar about TP.

2) The conversation about Wii's software was absolutely dominated by Wii Sports and other games like Just Dance. So far with the Switch it's been nothing but BotW and Splatoon 2 for Japan. Even if the actual sales/attach rates of the games were the same, publishers want to hear that the buzz for games similar to theirs (BotW being somewhat similar to Skyrim) is very high. That's how you capitalize on a growing install base.

So there is most definitely a huge difference in the type of audience growing on the Switch versus that of the Wii, and their buying habits reflect these differences. That spells good news for Bethesda.

Twilight Princess was the fastest selling Zelda game before Breath of the Wild and had an almost 1:1 attach rate. Wii Sports came with the system in North America, so you can't compare it with any Switch game.

BigDug13

The Switch to me feels like a culmination of everything they've been doing as well as keeping it capable of reaching standard gamers. It has control possibilities that please the Wii crowd. It has touchscreen possibilities that please the tablet crowd. It has the fully portable capability that pleases the DS/Vita/tablet crowd. It has the standard twin stick control scheme with all necessary buttons that pleases the PS4/XBO crowd.

It lacks in power and that's because of their portable goals. But seeing games like Skyrim SE, Doom, etc possible on this machine tells me this isn't some "Wii" era where the machine was literally incapable of doing what PS360 was doing.

The machine is capable of reaching every kind of gamer if the games are there. The prior Nintendo machines like the Wii really couldn't. The control philosophy was too limited. The Wii-U really couldn't. The controller was too bulky without external purchases of pro controllers. Nintendo found a way to package it all together for every type of gamer.

As PS4 and XBO games continue to strive for more pixels on the screen at once with 4K, it seems like that gives even more opportunities for 720p or 640p games to somewhat match up on a weaker system.

Tigress

Hope they port fallout new vegas. Great times ahead for Switch owners.

They do that and I'll finally make the full decision to buy a switch (I'm still debating at the moment while I save up the money/credit card points in case I decide to go ahead and buy one).

Top Bottom