• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Packaging (Nintendo Figurine) - Wallets 'am cry

PusherT

I'll wait for details on how amiibo works with other games before I decide on whether I buy any or not.

They'll be universal right? So I won't have to buy 2 Luigi figures for both Smash and Mario Kart correct?
Yeah you only need 1 luigi amiibo. So it may be a lvl 34 badass in Smash Bros but when when you play Captain Toad treasure tracker that luigi may have traits because it aslo was in smash bros. or mario party. The game effects the amiibo and the amiibo effects the game.

JLynn

These look good to me but I'm hoping for more characters. Like those from little known Nintendo games (MIKE JONES!)

But I see people saying they're buying them just for the figure (and the Smash crowd didn't seem enthused with them, or maybe I just read a small portion of the reactions). I understand these are highly profitable, and I still collect action figures, but I don't get these. Even when I think about the intended crowd I think there are way better toys to buy for $10-15.

Maybe I'm just missing the point.

Well the one thing you can be sure of is they'll be constantly on sale just like Disney Infinity and Skylander figures are. It's easy to get them for half off if you don't just buy them on a whim. I'm sure I'll spend less than $10 a figure.

I don't like the packaging it is the ultimate "piss off, we'll take as much shelf space as we possibly can". There is no other reason why it can't be barely bigger than the figure.

The packaging looks about the same as Disney Infinity and Skylanders though.

Fireblend

Banned
These will look great on my desk. And I guess I can choose 3-5 to actually use in games.

If there is a Ness or Lucas one.... I'll buy 5.

RAWi

what if there are rare alt color (or model in case of fit trainer) variants

or exclusive system bundle figures

ha

ha

ha

Oh god... never thought about that possibility...

I need Pikachu with Blue Goggles... there goes my moneyz

I'm curious as to how these will do, the Pokemon ones didn't make a big impact after all.

They looked like rubbish and which one you got was randomized (and they were only usable in an awful game)

amiibo figures are gorgeous and you know what you´ll get....and they´ll be supported by more than one game.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I'll be buying Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, and Samus when I pick up Smash for myself. I'll probably get my wife Peach, Kirby, and Yoshi. My wallet. :(

Effect

$10 to $15 isn't bad at all. Especailly if the quality is kept up. They're a one time purchase after all. Chances are I might get most of them at that price.

Ban Puncher

I'll buy at least two of every figure.

4ciCI.gif

These will look great on my desk. And I guess I can choose 3-5 to actually use in games.

If there is a Ness or Lucas one.... I'll buy 5.

This. I'll keep them on my entertainment unit, which of course means I'll need to move my Transformers. Or perhaps I'll keep them on a shelf in front of the TV. So bloody many things to do.

And they know, they KNOW I'm going to buy them all. And to think I've banned Skylanders/Infinity from my house because of the addiction...damn them.

Starless

Neo Member
I'd honestly buy these just for the figures themselves, which are at a great price compared to most collectible figures.

I won't get them all, but imma get two of Peach.

Yeah you only need 1 luigi amiibo. So it may be a lvl 34 badass in Smash Bros but when when you play Captain Toad treasure tracker that luigi may have traits because it aslo was in smash bros. or mario party. The game effects the amiibo and the amiibo effects the game.

Is this confirmed to work in Captain Toad or is it just an example?

Alrus

So someone considering buying a Nintendo console will have to buy the console £ 210, the game £ 40 and 16 x £ 15 for these characters to get them unlocked in that game ?

Nah those aren't necessary to unlock characters in Brawl at least.

DVCY201

Is this confirmed to work in Captain Toad or is it just an example?

IIRC, yes, they confirmed it for Yoshi's Woolly World, Captain Toad, Mario Kart 8, Mario Party 10.

I've never been 'into' these kinds of things, but I'm incredibly tempted to pick a few up!

I might be crazy... one of my favorite mini-games in Breath of Fire 3 was training Beyd (an accountant) to be a bad ass fighter. You had the option to cheat and help him out, but instead I'd spend an hour or two on this minigame... honing strategy to get him the best buffs as soon as possible. Spending all of my money to buy a weapon I shouldn't be able to get yet, just to give to him.

The fact that I'll be able to essentially do this to "train" a smash bros AI is beautiful, and I'll waste hours on it... my only issue is that as a nearly 30 year old male, I'll have a hard time finding someone to battle against in this way. That said, I expect kids will LOVE this.

_Ryo_

Wait... it says Super Smash Bros in the upper left.

You can only uses these figures in that game and if you want to use the same character in another game, you have to buy the same character for that other game? No.

You can only uses these figures in that game and if you want to use the same character in another game, you have to buy the same character for that other game? No.

Reading way too much into it. They already confirmed these figures will work with multiple games. Smash Bros is listed since it will be the first "system seller" for these figures.

(edit)

Also, OP missed the best part of that article...

IMG_1513-465x620.jpg

starmud

the designs look like their from smash, so it seems their saying its the "smash ____ " character. opens the door to later versions of the characters, which do look different in display.

Lyonaz

I don't care about the prices, I've already decided to buy: Link, Zelda, Marth, Pit, Palutena and Samus.

I really want a Smash Bros Mega Man, do they plan for him too or is it only Nintendo characters?

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
What are the chances that all smash character figures will be available at launch? Think they'll hold some back for the secret/unlockable characters as to not spoil them? Do they even have those anymore or does everything get revealed o the dojo site?

mrhej

My hope is that most of these games that use amiibo will let you play as that character. That's what I hope. Maybe we can actually get Kirby in Mario Kart.

Top Bottom