• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

BTA

GB-GAF, does anyone remember the Destiny 2 tip Brad mentioned on the cast either this week or last week? I just started playing D2 last night and for some reason I can't remember what he said. And when Brad brought up the tip someone else (Jeff I think) was like "oh yeah, that's bullshit they don't tell you". Like it was a pretty big tip for new players. It was something about holding onto something as you're leveling up or not getting rid of something, but my brain is totally blanking on what it was.

Figured I'd ask here before re-listening to both casts just in case anyone remembers.

I don't play Destiny and only picked this up from what people said in the thread, but I believe there's a number of missions/quests/whatever where you get Exotics scaled to your light level as a reward, such that if you turn them in before you're at a raid ready light level it's a waste.

GB-GAF, does anyone remember the Destiny 2 tip Brad mentioned on the cast either this week or last week? I just started playing D2 last night and for some reason I can't remember what he said. And when Brad brought up the tip someone else (Jeff I think) was like "oh yeah, that's bullshit they don't tell you". Like it was a pretty big tip for new players. It was something about holding onto something as you're leveling up or not getting rid of something, but my brain is totally blanking on what it was.

Figured I'd ask here before re-listening to both casts just in case anyone remembers.

Don't turn in the milestones until power level 265 and above. Level up just by playing the campaign, crucible, strikes, patrols, adventures and events. In the process you'll end up doing the milestones but don't turn them in until much later because they have engrams that scale with your light level so, the higher you are, the higher the drop is.

They're called Luminous Engrams and you could know that by reading the rewards. If it says powerful gear then it means that it scales up with your light level if it just says legendary then it doesn't. Although, extotic drops in any case is usually higher than your light level. At around 260-265 the blue and legendary drops hit a soft cap.

Zaph

^ But honestly, don't do that unless you're in a rush to get raid ready. It takes a lot of the fun out of Destiny's levelling experience.

(and save your Destiny fun jokes, guys)

Lari

The moment where Vinny turned around and
Yoshi was dying in the distance
was the best in Steal My Sunshine.

Fjordson

Haha, damn! I can't remember either. I'll just go back and listen. They made a big deal out of it too, sounded important.

edit:
Don't turn in the milestones until power level 265 and above. Level up just by playing the campaign, crucible, strikes, patrols, adventures and events. In the process you'll end up doing the milestones but don't turn them in until much later because they have engrams that scale with your light level so, the higher you are, the higher the drop is.

They're called Luminous Engrams and you could know that by reading the rewards. If it says powerful gear then it means that it scales up with your light level if it just says legendary then it doesn't. Although, extotic drops in any case is usually higher than your light level. At around 260-265 the blue and legendary drops hit a soft cap.
Oh shit, yeah that was it. Thanks man.

Cloth Map: The Puppies of Chernobyl
Haha, damn! I can't remember either. I'll just go back and listen. They made a big deal out of it too, sounded important.

I mean it's basically what I said but I know it sounds confusing as fuck. You'll get it when you play it. Stay away if you don't care about grind or loot because if you're like me then D2 is not a whole lot different than D1 save for the fact that it is a much more coherent and connected experience. The campaign is one giant MEH.

Fjordson

Cloth Map: The Puppies of Chernobyl

I mean it's basically what I said but I know it sounds confusing as fuck. You'll get it when you play it. Stay away if you don't care about grind or loot because if you're like me then D2 is not a whole lot different than D1 save for the fact that it is a much more coherent and connected experience. The campaign is one giant MEH.
Yeah my bad, posted before catching your post.

I really love loot grinds, so I'm enjoying D2. Especially since I didn't play the first at all so this is all new to me.

Zaph

I wonder how this affects Giant Bomb.

Basically any review copies GB is provided, they have to put a disclaimer that its an advertisement.

GB is a "traditional" outlet, these guidelines are more for independent bloggers/youtubers because they usually aren't trading under an editorial name and need to signpost themselves clearer

FTC said:
Does the FTC hold bloggers to a higher standard than reviewers for traditional media outlets?

No. The FTC Act applies across the board. The issue is – and always has been – whether the audience understands the reviewer’s relationship to the company whose products are being recommended. If the audience understands the relationship, a disclosure isn’t needed.

If you’re employed by a newspaper or TV station to give reviews – whether online or offline – your audience probably understands that your job is to provide your personal opinion on behalf of the newspaper or television station. In that situation, it’s clear that you did not buy the product yourself – whether it’s a book or a car or a movie ticket. On a personal blog, a social networking page, or in similar media, the reader might not realize that the reviewer has a relationship with the company whose products are being recommended. Disclosure of that relationship helps readers decide how much weight to give the review.

Waiting for them Mario impressions like

zxy694n3b1nz.gif

GB is a "traditional" outlet, these guidelines are more for independent bloggers/youtubers because they usually aren't trading under an editorial name and need to signpost themselves clearer

Oh

Guess I misread the thread since it just said game journalists(I dont consider someone like say, Jim Sterling or Angry Joe as games journalists proper, but personalities.)

robotrock

Banned
folks how many hours of this "destiny 2" video game campaign do i have left if i just mainline it (as in skip the adventures)? just
rescued the hilarious robot man
and unlocked Io

Demo Derby was ok. It's not up to the standard of the Dan/Drew era videos, a lot of missed opportunities for some better humor with someone for Jeff to bounce of off, but it wasn't the greatest demo disc either.

Harpuia

Did Brad say they were gonna do a Mario Odyssey event thing or am I crazy.

I do love it when they come back from a reviewer event and talk over some b-roll they took of their play session.

Watching this Demo Derby, I feel like all they do anymore is dunk on stuff. Or at least try to dunk on stuff.

Demo Derby was mostly Jeff trying to make jokes and everyone else dropping the ball and Ben sticking with his below the Mendoza line joke hit rate.

Top Bottom