• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

Vashetti

Banned
The paperbacks are usually released several months after the hardcovers so it depends if you mind waiting. I think I'd just go with the paperbacks if you haven't read any yet and want to catch up. They're cheap and take up less space too.

I buy the hardcovers as I've always preferred them. Plus I like to read the novels when they're first released. Well, most of them.

That's good advice.

I'm in no rush to buy them as soon as they come out, so getting cheap paperbacks is probably best for me.

Though I would prefer everything in hardback, just looks better imo.

Sayers

The Clone Wars has gotten so good.
e5210213.png

This whole Mandalore arc is expertly woven, tying in all the different minor threads throughout the series and bringing them to a head. Maul and Savage are a great duo and having them scheme with the Death Watch was great fun. I'm still devastated by them killing
Satine
but you knew it had to happen for everything to make sense. Poor Obi-Wan has had one messed up life. And then it ends with that incredible Maul and Savage vs. Palpatine fight that was one of the best in the saga. Woo.
Just wait until the Season 5 finale.

Star Wars GAF I need your help quick please!

So I found the Original Trilogy in VHS for 50 cents each per episode but I was wondering if this one has the original theatrical release and not the special edition modifications.

They look like this one but with their respective character in the covers (aka Vader on A New Hope and Yoda on Return of the Jedi):
vhs_esb3.jpg

Should I go for it?

So I found the Original Trilogy in VHS for 50 cents each per episode but I was wondering if this one has the original theatrical release and not the special edition modifications.

They look like this one but with their respective character in the covers (aka Vader on A New Hope and Yoda on Return of the Jedi):
vhs_esb3.jpg

Should I go for it?
That's the THX editions, not the Special Editions. So it's not the ultra butchered versions, but they did do some video clean up and a much better audio track

6155076887_36059d7953.jpg

Is the special edition boxes

That's good advice.

I'm in no rush to buy them as soon as they come out, so getting cheap paperbacks is probably best for me.

Though I would prefer everything in hardback, just looks better imo.
I would try to grab what you can in hardback as long as it's not expensive/secondary market only. That's only because that seems to be your preference. I am 100% exclusively audiobooks now and not looking back. My dilemma is if it doesn't get an audiobook release what do I do? So far I have only purchased 1 physical book of new canon and that was before the awakening, for that very reason. Also unfortunate that Alan Dean Foster is our worst current writer, and The Force Awakens is very by the numbers.

I wish I still had my VHS tapes. I had both that last 1995 THX release and the Special Editions, as well as The Phantom Menace Collector's Edition VHS. They all got lost during one of my family's many moves between 2002 and 2009. :/

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Talking to Star Wars fans about TFA & Rogue One > reading gaf posts about TFA & Rogue One
Gaf is a shit place to talk about movies in the OT right now. Hate how everyone loses their minds when the movie starts and then hates every small detail when the DVD arrives.

curb

Banned
Gaf is a shit place to talk about movies in the OT right now. Hate how everyone loses their minds when the movie starts and then hates every small detail when the DVD arrives.

To me, it's not just GAF though. The internet has bred this hyper-critical online culture. All these "Everything wrong with" and "How _____ should have ended" things get people all nitpick-y over media. It's why I rarely go into Marvel or Star Wars threads outside of the main OTs and I got off Reddit. I don't want to look at the things I love the way most of the internet seems too.

Boke1879

Talking to Star Wars fans about TFA & Rogue One > reading gaf posts about TFA & Rogue One

Hey. Don't you know one can't be good without the other being complete and total shit?

It's just stupid. Both movies imo were great. Both movies did different things. Both movies are helping spring more life into this brand and fandom.

Boke1879

I think it's so cool to hate SW nowadays that people just can't help themselves

I don't even think it's that.

Let the Last Jedi come out to rave reviews and have fan creaming themselves in excitement.

You'll have people talking about how RO and TFA are shit in comparison.

caliph95

I don't even think it's that.

Let the Last Jedi come out to rave reviews and have fan creaming themselves in excitement.

You'll have people talking about how RO and TFA are shit in comparison.
Something something remake of empire strikes back amirite guys x100

Zombine

Banned
Hey. Don't you know one can't be good without the other being complete and total shit?

It's just stupid. Both movies imo were great. Both movies did different things. Both movies are helping spring more life into this brand and fandom.

Basically. And my complaint isn't that people aren't allowed to discuss the shortfalls or the successes of each film, but it's that I feel like certain groups aren't fans to begin with, and just want to bitch.

Rootbeer

Banned

vhs_esb3.jpg

Should I go for it?
aren't those pan & scan?

Other than that... yeah. you can't really top 50 cents.

Malyse

Is the hatred for Kathleen Kennedy just a Tumblr thing or a popular sentiment throughout Star Wars fans? I've loved what she's done with the series (and her work outside of it) but I feel like I've seen nothing but vile stuff thrown her way for either not being inclusive enough or being too inclusive. I'm lost.
It's a valid complaint, but I'm more prone to think it a subconscious bias than an intentional mandate. I don't think she's intentionally trying to suppress minority roles, but people do fall into patterns. The pattern for Hollywood movies is white characters being pushed forward to represent films. I mean:

pitt.png

It's a thing that happens.
The ending to Thrawn has a really interesting twist that flips his introduction in Rebels on its head. And I need to know when that epilogue takes place.
Apparently concurrent with the events of Rebels.
I think it's so cool to hate SW nowadays that people just can't help themselves

Star Wars has the reverse Final Fantasy problem: where the last FF was good and the most recent one is bad, the most recent SW is sooo much better than that last film.

Boke1879

Fun thing I found today.

Girl finds out who Darth Vader is.

Plot twist: She finds out through Episode III.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMLmGi6AK-c

And this is what that vocal minority in the fandom fail to realize. There are a bunch of new fans that grew up with the prequels and like them.

I know for many of us it would be hard to imagine seeing her freak out since we all knew Anakin was Vader and thus Luke's father.

But I read the description and she had never seen these movies before, but only heard the line "No, I am your father." Still a great reaction and we probably she's probably another fan of the series.

Vashetti

Banned
I would try to grab what you can in hardback as long as it's not expensive/secondary market only. That's only because that seems to be your preference. I am 100% exclusively audiobooks now and not looking back. My dilemma is if it doesn't get an audiobook release what do I do? So far I have only purchased 1 physical book of new canon and that was before the awakening, for that very reason. Also unfortunate that Alan Dean Foster is our worst current writer, and The Force Awakens is very by the numbers.

Good advice here too.

My problem is that certain books in hardback seem to have gone out of print (at least in the UK), so the only way to get them is to pay extortionate used prices.

I'm really after Lords of the Sith in particular as I'm a huge Sidious fan.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
And this is what that vocal minority in the fandom fail to realize. There are a bunch of new fans that grew up with the prequels and like them

Everything has fans regardless of quality. In what world is it only a vocal minority who dislike the prequels though? That is just not facing up to reality it pains me to say. Heck, they're pretty much the most famous disappointment in the history of movies. As much as we all wanted it, George just didn't deliver a well made product. Things however look great for the future of the franchise.

shingi70

Banned
Everything has fans regardless of quality. In what world is it only a vocal minority who dislike the prequels though? That is just not facing up to reality it pains me to say. Heck, they're pretty much the most famous disappointment in the history of movies. As much as we all wanted it, George just didn't deliver a well made product. Things however look great for the future of the franchise.

I'd argue most cuaual fans and fans 8-25 probably don't have e a huge hate boner for the prequels. They aren't the best films, but that's never stopped people from liking anything.

Completed item listings on eBay suggest it might be worth keeping an eye out for a Lords of the Sith HC on there - some have gone for not outragous prices recently.

Malyse

I can agree with this. They do a great job with those.
Especially if it's Marc Thompson. Part of the reason I don't have an issue with the "bad" books in the new canon is because the audiobooks are so phenom I enjoy it anyway. Even Lords of the Sith and Heir to the Jedi (those are the bad ones right?) were great listens. My only complaint is that the kids stuff is skipped. Thrawn was particularly good.

Teggy

I am 6 episodes into season 2 of Rebels and I have to say I am enjoying it. There something to be said for a story that doesn't whip constantly across the galaxy and is a lot lighter on the politics. Plus it has OT music and real stormtroopers and imperial vehicles.

Maybe it all goes to shit but I really like it so far.

Sayers

I am 6 episodes into season 2 of Rebels and I have to say I am enjoying it. There something to be said for a story that doesn't whip constantly across the galaxy and is a lot lighter on the politics. Plus it has OT music and real stormtroopers and imperial vehicles.

Maybe it all goes to shit but I really like it so far.
It doesn't go to shit at all, the show is pretty good overall. Finale of Season 2 has some of the best moments in the franchise.

Rebels' greatest sin is really just being preceded by The Clone Wars.

Teggy

How come whenever the rebels try to run a blockade they jump in directly in front of the empire ships? Why don't they just come in on the other side? :/

That said, intro of the
b-wing
was really cool.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
How come whenever the rebels try to run a blockade they jump in directly in front of the empire ships? Why don't they just come in on the other side? :/

That said, intro of the
b-wing
was really cool.

don'T forget they could also go up and down >>

#13 of Poe's comic was a good read. I've enjoyed the Terex issues a lot, he's been the main draw of the book for me and I enjoyed the look into his background with the Empire. Hopefully the book will remain strong without having the focus on him.
The Mr Bones cameo put a real smile on my face, he lives on...for a minute or so. Was a bit sad to see L'ulo die after his introduction all that time ago in Shattered Empire as well. I was sure Phasma would be the one getting off the First Order transport with that cover but I guess not.

Top Bottom