• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch Series 1&2 |OT| Better, Wetter

SuperPac

Is there any way to download and play podcasts from the watch to listen to without my phone in my pocket? Only thing I can find from googling is some horrible long-winded workaround using iTunes which I want to avoid

I normally use pocketcasts but would download another app if it could push podcasts to the watch

No - only music and photos can put files on the watch as far as I'm aware, so third party apps like podcast players still rely on playing from the phone. Apple doesn't have a Watch version of their own podcast app yet either. If they did they'd probably let you do it from that.

I've got a date of sept 30, hoping I'll be able to grab one at the Apple Store when I pick up my 7. I'll just cancel the one from the website if I can grab it.

Can complications carry out actions directly or do they have to link to an app?

I'd just like a play/pause complication

Actually just bloody let us build our own complications and faces like facer on Android Wear

complications just show info. to do anything you tap them to go to the app.

Fuchsdh

Anyone interested in Activity Sharing?

This might be enough to get my brother and father to switch. They've got $90 fitbits now and enjoy the competition part, but they break uniformly after only a little more than a year. They'd probably be better served by a Series 1 that lasts three or more years.

FerranMG

The watch looks pretty interesting to me, but I'll make a decision once Microsoft announces the Band 3, hopefully in the next month or couple of months.
Fitness-wise, the Band 2 is more appealing, and the Watch 2 didn't make any upgrades (besides waterproofing it, which is critical to me).
On the other hand, being able to handle notifications and whatnot from the Watch is something I'd definitely miss from the Band.

jts

...hate me...
This might be enough to get my brother and father to switch. They've got $90 fitbits now and enjoy the competition part, but they break uniformly after only a little more than a year. They'd probably be better served by a Series 1 that lasts three or more years.
Only started today but this is kinda fun already.

DJRN6dw.jpg

Really hope Apple Watch-GAF will come together for it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I want a watch face which has the complications of utility (mainly the larger calendar one but also the day+date) - but the 'hands only' face option of simple

No - only music and photos can put files on the watch as far as I'm aware, so third party apps like podcast players still rely on playing from the phone. Apple doesn't have a Watch version of their own podcast app yet either. If they did they'd probably let you do it from that.

Since podcasts are just mp3 files after all, you could just add them manually to your phone as music files and then add them to the Watch from there. A bit more effort, but should work.

JayDub

Hi, who is getting ceramic apple watch

Me!! But its looking like a late October-Early November for me.

That scratch proof housing, and sleek white and black motif. Too bad they discontinued the black leather loop. I was going to get that or the stone leather loop.

Oh well.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So you think it's the wristband that's causing the delay in launch?
I mean maybe. I'm sure the case itself is slightly unique too. i obviously don't know the exact reason but the more unique versions had a slower launch last year.

Ok excuse my ignorance on this but I want a watch that looks good formal but also want a sport band for working out. Part of me is leaning towards the gold case for this. Does anyone feel that looks good with say more formal attire?

I really don't like the silver aluminum for formal use. My wife has the gold which looks fine to me in various settings. I have the gray which I feel the same about.

With the black face of the touchscreen, I prefer the black surround so it doesn't scream THIS IS A SMART WATCH to everyone. It deemphasizes the big black square in the center of the frame.

I really don't like the silver aluminum for formal use. My wife has the gold which looks fine to me in various settings. I have the gray which I feel the same about.

With the black face of the touchscreen, I prefer the black surround so it doesn't scream THIS IS A SMART WATCH to everyone. It deemphasizes the big black square in the center of the frame.

Agreed part of me feels the silver comes off a little obnoxious. I want it to be subtle. I probably wouldn't wear with a full on suit but with a nice button up and dress pants I was thinking a gold face with a brown leather band. And then use concrete sport for working out.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Ok excuse my ignorance on this but I want a watch that looks good formal but also want a sport band for working out. Part of me is leaning towards the gold case for this. Does anyone feel that looks good with say more formal attire?

For formal I always break out one of my Swiss movement watches.

For business casual I would sport a space grey or silver with a metal or leather band.

For causal I would do space grey or silver with a sport or leather band.

Has anyone received one of the new nylon bands yet? Curious how the new Midnight Blue/Light Pink band looks.

If you're concerned about wearing it with formal attire, I'd go for the Stainless Steel, either color. Aluminum does okay with casual and dressy night outs, but for a suit you've gotta go SS. Or level up to baller status with the ceramic like JayDub.

JayDub

Has anyone received one of the new nylon bands yet? Curious how the new Midnight Blue/Light Pink band looks.

If you're concerned about wearing it with formal attire, I'd go for the Stainless Steel, either color. Aluminum does okay with casual and dressy night outs, but for a suit you've gotta go SS. Or level up to baller status with the ceramic like JayDub.

Oh you.

Shit looks awesome, man. Like a stormtrooper.

I'm surprised Apple is still calling it Force Touch on the Watch instead of 3D Touch

I was under the impression that force touch can really only recognize regular+depressed, while 3D Touch is more nuanced. For example on the watch if you force touch and don't do it hard enough it'll just bounce back. You can hold it at the halfway mark. With the phone you can hold at at halfway as long as you want

Force Touch is used like a button, it's an activation. 3D Touch is constantly measuring how hard you're pushing down and knows those measurements are different from a simple binary

robotrock

Banned
I was under the impression that force touch can really only recognize regular+depressed, while 3D Touch is more nuanced. For example on the watch if you force touch and don't do it hard enough it'll just bounce back. You can hold it at the halfway mark. With the phone you can hold at at halfway as long as you want

Force Touch is used like a button, it's an activation. 3D Touch is constantly measuring how hard you're pushing down and knows those measurements are different from a simple binary

Isn't force touch sightly different than 3D touch? Force touch just turns the entire screen into one big button, it doesn't matter how hard or where you press.
Didn't know this. I skipped out on the 6s and just assumed Apple renamed force touch to 3D touch because force touch sounds kind of creepy

Ambient80

Me!! But its looking like a late October-Early November for me.

That scratch proof housing, and sleek white and black motif. Too bad they discontinued the black leather loop. I was going to get that or the stone leather loop.

Oh well.
Surely you could find one online somewhere that hasn't been used? Or maybe a third party one that is similar (and isn't hot garbage quality).

Do you guys know which third-party apps actually do the Workout app stuff: continuous heart rate and sensors and stuff? Does Pocket Yoga?

finalflame

Gold Member
I really wanted the Series 2 Edition, but then I remembered how little I use my original Watch nowadays. Leave it on its dock like .. 80% of the time.

I just hope the Series 3 brings some more meaningful improvements and they keep the ceramic Edition.

aparisi2274

Wonder how big of a bump in speed there will be between the OG watch and the refreshed series 1 watch.

I ask, because I like my current Apple Watch, and wasn't planning on upgrading, but now my curiosity has been piqued and am curious about how this new dual processor will affect speeds.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
That's not true. If you do force/3d touch on a watch face, you can easily notice that the nuances are possible. I can hold the watch face in the various states of half-way depress. Force and 3D touch are the exact same thing in terms of hardware, it's just that the software layer on the watch has the mid-presses disabled in all the interfaces bar the main watch face.

finalflame

Gold Member
Can't decide on aluminum or stainless steel! Is the SS worth the extra $200?

You get the stronger glass and it definitely stands out. I have an aluminum original Watch; the screen has gathered a couple of noticeable scratches and I definitely notice people's SS a lot more.

So, up to you if those things are worth $200.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
You get the stronger glass and it definitely stands out. I have an aluminum original Watch; the screen has gathered a couple of noticeable scratches and I definitely notice people's SS a lot more.

So, up to you if those things are worth $200.
You also get a lot more glare in direct sun with SS sapphire screen. SS watch used to be completely unreadable in direct sun, but now hopefully with a much brighter screen it won't be as much of an issue (but the extra glare should still remain). You'll also have a lot more visible microscratches on the shiny surface. My aluminum watch basically looks mint after a year of wearing, but under a magnifying glass I can see some micro-scratches on it, it's just that a matte surface hides them really well from a plain sight. On the other hand, everyone I know who has SS watch, has visible tiny scratches on it. SS watch is also noticeably heavier, which some people like, others don't.

IMHO, the aluminum watch also goes better with the silicone and woven straps. There's something about the matte surface on them that just matches nicely.

I really dislike the no crown decoration on the aluminum watch though, and it's true that stainless steel look more classically premium. Oh, and it definitely looks nicer paired with leather straps that have lugs.

Can't decide on aluminum or stainless steel! Is the SS worth the extra $200?

I'm rocking a Series 0 SS right now and LOVE it. Can't imagine going to aluminum. I love the look, I love the premium feel, I love it all.

The only change I'm making when getting the Series 2 is I'm going Space Black SS this time instead of normal

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm rocking a Series 0 SS right now and LOVE it. Can't imagine going to aluminum. I love the look, I love the premium feel, I love it all.

The only change I'm making when getting the Series 2 is I'm going Space Black SS this time instead of normal

After picking up a discounted SS I don't think I can ever go back. to paraphrase Tim Cook, it's gorgeous

I don't plan on actively using apps so hopefully my series 0 will last me a long time - always on screen or fully custom faces would be the only features to get me to upgrade

Also custom vibrations please in watch OS4

Hoo-doo

Banned
I'm definitely joining the GAF activity club.

I personally think the only good looking apple watch is the sport one, black brushed aluminium. The rest looks rather terrible. For women I dig the dark blue band and rose gold one.

I've got my order in for the 16th. Pretty excited.

I ordered a Series 2 42mm SS with Milanese Loop and a spare Sport Band. I know I'm late in getting my order in, but I wanted to try a few on before being sure what I wanted. Unfortunately it probably wont ship for over a month. I'll eventually join the GAF Activity Club, though :)

Top Bottom