• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshida can't promises The Last Guardian for 2013

V_Arnold

PS4 conversion is what they are working on now. No other way around it.

Might be a decent showcase for new hardware though, if graphics have properly evolved from what was last shown. Beats Halo 5 for me that's for sure.

Are they competing on any level? I did not know that Halo 5 is about problem solving, or that Last Guardian is about competitive online matches.

I am not afraid that it will not look great: Shadow of the Colossus had an epic feeling in the visuals even with the horrible framerate. The quality of that game easily managed to stay relevant with another generation appearing, so if that is what they are aiming for here again, then there will be no issues, even if it is a late PS3 software, not a PS4 launch title.

BadWolf

Not surprising, I expect them to confirm nothing until the game is finished and ready for release.

The time between the re-reveal and release will be very short imo.

Linkup

If by engine he means getting things onto PS4 then good, but with the way past Team Ico games had technically problems they are probably just trying to get the thing to run at 14fps on PS3. PS4 launch? Maybe a 1080p 30fps release in 2016.

Anyway, my interest in Sony's titles didn't extend much beyond Wipeout and this, what a messed up generation.

Never forget!

ivW9fJ769HNeL.gif

isgsQpq5bIvZH.gif

StuBurns

Banned
The oddest thing about this is that it ever had a release date. How could it ever have been approaching release, and still be so far away now.

Haunted

The oddest thing about this is that it ever had a release date. How could it ever have been approaching release, and still be so far away now.
Someone upended the biggest tea table. A fallout with one of Sony's most respected development heads doesn't happen just like that.

It is if people here aren't familiar with team Ico, nor remember the wait for the team to release their highly praised titles. Nor do they realize how ambitious thier projects are for a team of 30. Even with help, most likely it is going to be something on the scale of SoTC designwise.

The game had problems on a technical level, it hardly means it's switching platforms.

it had problem at technical level for how many years now? there must be a point where they say ps3 is just not enough and start working for ps4 instead, it's the easiest solution for their technical problem, simply make it for better hardware.

Dabanton

The history of this game is ridiculous they must have started completely from scratch.

Lets hope the final game has a making of book or documentary.

Would be fascinating to see the whole process.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Is this going to sell enough to make back the money they have spent developing it? I am kind of under the impression they make games that sell decently, but nothing amazing.

it had problem at technical level for how many years now? there must be a point where they say ps3 is just not enough and start working for ps4 instead, it's the easiest solution for their technical problem, simply make it for better hardware.

You assume the problem is hardware limitations... Hardware means nothing if the limitation is in how the software is designed and engineered. For example, they seem to want to create a very sophisticated AI for your companion... Anyone that has dealt with the girl from ICO knows a great AI would have made that game a lot more fun. If that is indeed part of the problem, no matter how much processing you toss at it means nothing if you can't get the AI to act how you want. And that's just one very small facet that could cause an issue...

As far as I know, team ICO is also still a relatively small team and the original creator of the game has since left adding even more disarray to the whole situation... in fact, if Team ICO is really as small as I remember hearing it is, then the switch to PS4 may be even MORE damaging (having to redo assets, adjusting to buggy new SDKs, all new rounds of optimizations, etc). It's not like working on a PC where you simply put in a faster graphics chip and the same game suddenly plays better. It's a whole new architecture that would require at least a decent amount of rewriting.

This is so a PS4 launch title...

Any PS3 game shouldn't require any more time (after the 5+ years they've already spent) writing engine & tech code...

Sounds like code for "we're porting all our engine & tech to PS4"
How do you know it's been five years? It was announced in 2009? Job adverts went up for it in 08

Still a long time, but it seems more like they just announced it way too early then ran into troubles

You assume the problem is hardware limitations... Hardware means nothing if the limitation is in how the software is designed and engineered. For example, they seem to want to create a very sophisticated AI for your companion... Anyone that has dealt with the girl from ICO knows a great AI would have made that game a lot more fun. If that is indeed part of the problem, no matter how much processing you toss at it means nothing if you can't get the AI to act how you want. And that's just one very small facet that could cause an issue...

As far as I know, team ICO is also still a relatively small team and the original creator of the game has since left adding even more disarray to the whole situation... in fact, if Team ICO is really as small as I remember hearing it is, then the switch to PS4 may be even MORE damaging (having to redo assets, adjusting to buggy new SDKs, all new rounds of optimizations, etc). It's not like working on a PC where you simply put in a faster graphics chip and the same game suddenly plays better. It's a whole new architecture that would require at least a decent amount of rewriting.
Ueda is still at Sony, his contract situation just changed from full time employee to being a contractor

Make it a PS4 game and I'll buy it. At this point after selling my PS3 and no cheaper slim coming out I'm done with Playstation for this generation.

It will be a PS4 game as I have no faith in anything that the team says as regards to release.

It's my understanding that Team Ico didn't have the know how to deliver their vision so Sony brought in some people from other studios to help/adjust stuff. Probably should have done it sooner, but then again, maybe Team Ico were too afraid to admit it sooner.

It's my understanding that Team Ico didn't have the know how to deliver their vision so Sony brought in some people from other studios to help/adjust stuff. Probably should have done it sooner, but then again, maybe Team Ico were too afraid to admit it sooner.
Thats pretty worrying considering the whole of SCE Japan are basically interchangeable teams, and from what I understand other "teams" have worked on this game too (such as the staff of Puppeteer). You'd think SCEJ should have the expertise considering they more or less built the system

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I agree that its almost certainly going to be a PS4 launch title at this point. Sony already have enough product lined up for 2013 anyway, with LOU,GOW:A, and Beyond, they simply don't need it, especially when all the big annualised multi-plats will make an appearance for the platform next holiday season. Then of course there's also GTA and at least 1 Final Fantasy title.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It should just be Yoshida can't promise Last Guardian.

Maybe this is what he meant by not wanting to talk about the end of the generation. Their adamantly keeping TLG on PS3 to give it eternal life.

Astery

shocking news.
This and Versus had to make alot of effort to make me hyped again whenever they wanna come out.

Top Bottom