• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What should I move to in order to get off diet soda?

I have a massive 40oz water bottle I keep on my desk at work. I drink 3-4 of them a day. I stay very well hydrated and it definitely curbs my appetite.

But nothing beats a diet soda for me. It's like ambrosia. It gives me life. Every meal is better. Every afternoon slump is shorter. Every morning is easier with a Diet Coke or a Coke Zero.

I don't drink any alcohol. I don't drink coffee. I don't even drink tea. Every day, I basically drink 120 ounces of water and two zero calorie sodas. My QoL would decrease significantly without them.

I just started drinking more beer. Pretty much cut out soda entirely. And an occasional beer is probably good for you according to some German scientists.

Squeeze half a lemon into a tall glass and fill it with ice cold sparkling water. It's honestly nicer than any fizzy drink I've ever had, and has the additional bonus of natural vitamins.

Kadayi

Banned
It blows my mind that people are incapable of drinking still water and they need someone to help them not drink soda. What happened to us?

A lot of people find water on its own pretty bland. Although in truth water taste does vary depending on the source (see link below )

Personally, I'm not keen on it unless it's been chilled in the fridge. Got a new fridge with a water cooler in it and found that has been beneficial in that regard.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/i-wen...nearly-as-crazy-as-you-think-2015-6?r=US&IR=T

^ I was sceptical on that shit, but bought a few different bottles of water and must admit the difference is noticeable.

DOWN

Banned
It blows my mind that people are incapable of drinking still water and they need someone to help them not drink soda. What happened to us?
Huh? That’s like saying your mind is blown that people can’t spend their days eating quinoa and plain chicken breasts because it’s healthy. People taste great thing, human behavior doesn’t let them forget great thing when having less great thing.

Schattenjäger;243711043 said:
Hate to be the bearer of bad news

Still beats diet soda though

http://nypost.com/2017/07/17/sparkling-water-is-really-really-not-good-for-you/

What a whack article. Title doesn't match the contents, and in the contents you have one dentist claiming fizzy water can erode tooth enamel because of its acidity and a spokesman for the ADA saying there's no evidence plain fizzy poses a risk to enamel. Ends with the claim that fizzy water may make you fatter because it doesn't fill you up as much so compels you to eat more? Lol.

I mostly drink plain water now but plain Perrier was my go-to replacement for Sprite when I quit soda a few years ago.

Just stop and drink water only, you will 'cold turkey' within a month. Or get some sparkling water and put a dash of fresh lemon or lime in it as an intermediate process.

kamakazi5

If you have a Costco membership they sell Ozarks sparkling waters that are fruit flavored. They aren't the highest quality but it's a 24 pack of 16oz bottles for less than $8. Way cheaper than most brands and you can add a bit of lime or lemon to your enhance it more.

For sure, but I sure won't deny that everything can be hard to let go of. Im not gonna fault people for not wanting to drink pure water, its hard for some people.

I drink a ton of water because I am thirsty. It makes me feel good, physically, to drink cold water. It also stops me from snacking and keeps me feeling refreshed.

I drink sodas because I enjoy them. Because they make me feel good emotionally. I drink them because they taste good. Basically, none of the same reasons I drink and enjoy water.

What's clear to me in this thread (and most nutrition threads) is that people view the entire act of consuming food differently. Some view it as nourishment and nutrition and others view it as an indulgence and a pleasure.

I do not drink water for pleasure.

Gutek

So, I've finally stopped drinking regular soda. I decided that I was cutting out the sugary drinks because they're awful and I've drank water and Diet MD for months now. However, I think I should keep going and get off of it entirely. My friend started drinking Clear Mountain Ice sparkling water. The different flavors are pretty good and I think I've figured out that the carbonation is what I crave. However, I'm skeptical on if these things are actually any better than diet soda. Would these be a good idea? Or I'm thinking just regular sparkling water, maybe get some flavor like Mio.

What's the problem with diet soda?

I used to drink a lot of diet soda, but I moved away from it in an effort to curb my craving for sweets. At that time I ended up going for infused waters since I was having a hard time drinking plain water. Those Hint waters were really tasty to me, and not sweet at all. From that I eventually returned back to drinking plain water. Saves me some money, so I'm pretty happy about that. I don't think diet sodas are bad for you, but I definitely felt like I was addicted to them at one point and I'm glad to be past that.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Artificial sweeteners cause the body to produce insulin due to the taste of sweetness and since there aren't any sugars to metabolize it can cause increased resistance and contribute to diabetes moreso than real sugar, especially in those already at risk for diabetes.
Yeah but drinking plain water results in a sharp spike in water levels in the body, which can dilute the platelets in the circulatory system, interfering with the blood clotting cascade. You can literally bleed to death from even a small cut.

Or you know we could be realistic about the effects of drinking diet soda. Bad for your teeth, epidemiological associations with obesity.

NandoGip

Force yourself to drink flavored sparkling water for a few weeks. The flavor doesnt come out until you drink it for a while. After that youll never be able to go back

Seirith

All of the zero calorie flavored options have "fake sugar" in them. If you can tolerate/like them, drinking a sparkling flavored water is the same as a diet coke.

Maybe try just fizzy water and a squeeze of lemon? Or quit Soda, my husband quit drinking anything but water after his 3rd kidney stone. Literally all he drinks is plain water.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
All of the zero calorie flavored options have "fake sugar" in them. If you can tolerate/like them, drinking a sparkling flavored water is the same as a diet coke.

No, not at all.

Plain water is absolutely the best option, but in the end:

So, is LaCroix healthy? Based on the factors we've outlined, yes. Though plain old water is still the best possible option, LaCroix is a massive upgrade over soda or high-sugar juices. It also hydrates you very similarly to regular water, which can be a huge boost to your overall health. So rejoice, LaCroix lovers. Your favorite beverage is legitimately good for you.

daxy

Yeah but drinking plain water results in a sharp spike in water levels in the body, which can dilute the platelets in the circulatory system, interfering with the blood clotting cascade. You can literally bleed to death from even a small cut.

Or you know we could be realistic about the effects of drinking diet soda. Bad for your teeth, epidemiological associations with obesity.

Realistically speaking, you will not likely binge drink such quantities water to achieve those described negative effects. Drinking soda, including 'diet' soda, is a shitty habit that has no positive benefits in the long run like smoking or eating fast food on a regular basis, and there's no reason you shouldn't try to drop it. Its ease of consumption and the marketing strategies employed by its producers make it far too simple to overindulge.

Drinking soda, including 'diet' soda, is a shitty habit that has no positive benefits in the long run like smoking or eating fast food on a regular basis,

One of these is not like the others.

You need some form of food in order to live.
You need some form of drink in order to live.
You do not need some form of tobacco and nicotine in order to live.

Yes, certain foods and drinks are worse choices than others, but they still fulfill a necessity for life.
Don't overpay the hand and be disingenuous.

He explicitly mentioned diet coke. So yeah, it kinda is the same. As your link mentions, the difference is in whatever the fuck lacroix uses as "natural flavours" to enhance the taste.

Realistically speaking, you will not likely binge drink such quantities water to achieve those described negative effects. Drinking soda, including 'diet' soda, is a shitty habit that has no positive benefits in the long run like smoking or eating fast food on a regular basis, and there's no reason you shouldn't try to drop it. Its ease of consumption and the marketing strategies employed by its producers make it far too simple to overindulge.

false equivalence.
Additionally, videogame forum :rolleyes

PerkeyMan

Artificial sweeteners are just as bad as sugar, if not worse. Go cold turkey to flavored seltzer or plain water.

Artificial sweeteners cause the body to produce insulin due to the taste of sweetness and since there aren't any sugars to metabolize it can cause increased resistance and contribute to diabetes moreso than real sugar, especially in those already at risk for diabetes.

People like you spreading this nonsense is one of the reasons people wont switch from regular soda to diet which is MUCH better for your health.

Schattenjäger;243711574 said:
Diet soda has artificial sweeteners which some claim are just as bad as sugar

Flavored water has no sweeteners

Some people claim the Sandy Hook-shooting was a conspiracy.

Rktk

DS0044.jpg

yodandy

drinks2.jpg

Or some other brand of sparkling water. Did the trick for me.

Yep this is my life now. I drink 1-2 daily, really hoping this stuff is as natural as they claim it is.

Edit: Favorites are lemon, pamplemousse, and peach-pear, but I've liked them all except some melon one.

Kinokou

what do you think the "flavours" are? it depends, some are aspartame, some sucralose... some are natural fruit juice but that can be sugary... you make the call

The flavored water I'm drinking is just marked with aroma as a flavoring ingredient, so I pretty much doubt my particular brand is using sweeteners.

Quonny

Mio/powdered drink mixers.

Pretty easy to get off the stuff if you want once you find some delicious flavors.

But then what's the point besides ditching the carbonation.

Diet soda is fine.

Hoo-doo

Banned
You just got to bite the bullet and switch off the sweetened drinks altogether.

Plain old tap water is the king of beverages. It'll save you tons of money as well.
Once you're off the sweet stuff for a while you can't even stand the taste of that stuff anymore. It's comically sweet.

Phu

Banned
Get the blandest, cheapest vodka you can find and some fruit you like. Turn that into an extract and all it takes is like 2 drops to flavor a glass.

I only drink diet soda when I drink alcohol. Coke Zero with Sailor Jerry dark rum is my drink of choice. Has anyone found a replacement for their 'mixed drinks'? I see that LaCroix makes a clear coke like drink (looks like Crystal Pepsi). I wonder if that mixes well with dark rum.

WaterAstro

Just watch out for artificial no-calorie sweeteners in anything. They are terrible for your metabolism. Try to find drinks with Stevia.

Gutek

You just got to bite the bullet and switch off the sweetened drinks altogether.

Plain old tap water is the king of beverages. It'll save you tons of money as well.
Once you're off the sweet stuff for a while you can't even stand the taste of that stuff anymore. It's comically sweet.

Don't drink tap in the US. You'll get lead poisoning.

ty_hot

Guide to stop drinking: decide you want to stop and stop. I did it, you can do it. Im back at drinking, but its like a bottle per month so it's fine. I was never a heavy drinker though.

Just dont stop drinking soda and start drinking those juices that are pure sugar.

I don't know about you, but whenever I get into the habit of drinking Coke Zero a lot, I just skip two days, and drink lots of water. After that, drinking water doesn't feel like a step down. For me it's mostly the routine of drinking Coke Zero after work.

Top Bottom