• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS XL First Impressions/Previews

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand why Nintendo doesn't release all color variants in every region.
It really should be understood at this point that NoA and NoE are varying levels are useless.

It's futile to have hope for either of them and claiming that one is better than the other can be countered easily (although maybe the Rainfall games should give NoE a permanent edge).

It really should be understood at this point that NoA and NoE are varying levels are useless.

Yeah, owning a 3DS now feels a lot like when I picked up a PSP back in 2006. Lots of waiting around for shit to happen with one or two gems released every now and again. I kept hearing about all of the awesome support and releases the system was receiving in Japan. Only now, with the 3DS, we don't have the option to import anything.

What are the chances of someone making a region switch?

Oxx

I don't understand why Nintendo doesn't release all color variants in every region.

It just doesn't make any sense.

At least we got the white one now in Europe. But I would buy a second one instantly if they would release one of those:

Nintendo-3DS-XL1.jpg

Well, AC and MH aren't even out in the west yet.

No excuse for the lack of a NSMB2 bundle, though.

Drago

If the AC 3DS XL bundle comes to NA, it's so bought and I'll sell off my Blue XL for it.

Knowing NoA though, they'll probably just release another Blue/Black bundle and call it a day, if they even do that. I probably shouldn't expect it given that they didn't even release the NSMB2 XL. >:/

Iacobellis

Yeah, owning a 3DS now feels a lot like when I picked up a PSP back in 2006. Lots of waiting around for shit to happen with one or two gems released every now and again. I kept hearing about all of the awesome support and releases the system was receiving in Japan. Only now, with the 3DS, we don't have the option to import anything.

What are the chances of someone making a region switch?

I'm not a fanboy of either company, but Sony has the potential to steal Nintendo's thunder in the US. I'm strictly speaking 3DS and Vita at the moment. We haven't gotten shit for bundles and games keep getting delayed.

Shahadan

So I got my 3DS XL yesterday and I'm interested in getting into the Professor Layton games. Where do I start, and should I just buy the first one or buy all of them now? All the places I checked seemed to have different combinations listed/available, seems like if I wanted them all I'd need to order from about 3 or 4 different places, is there anywhere in the UK that has all the Layton games?

Well if you're from europe and bought the XL this month you can get Layton 5 for free by registering your console I think.

But to be honest, play 1 and 3, skip 2.

Anyway just received my XL ! (all white with 3D Land installed) I'm rather excited and DLed a shitload of demos from Eshop.

I'm not a fanboy of either company, but Sony has the potential to steal Nintendo's thunder in the US. I'm strictly speaking 3DS and Vita at the moment. We haven't gotten shit for bundles and games keep getting delayed.
I kind of agree. I don't want to get too off topic here but I think that Nintendo owes its current success in the handheld market (at least in the west) to Sony's inability to figure out what the hell they want to do with the Vita. We won't see NOA or NOE mobilize until Sony hits a stride in sales or finds a pricing sweet spot. And God help the big N if Apple ever decides to allow an industry standard protocol for game controllers on iOS devices. No amount of Mario and Zelda will save them then.

Until then we get to sit through more foot dragging.

It doesn't bother me too much right now because I just picked up my XL two months ago and there's enough of a backlog out for the system to keep me happy.

Well, I caved and got a 3DS XL thanks to Best Buy Price matched at Target with a $30 gift card. Played a little Mario Kart 7, and I was impressed. What is the one essential game that I need to get right away?

SlickVic

Have to say, I'm liking the look of the Blue/Black on the XL a lot more than I thought I would based on the images I saw online. Think I prefer it to the plain white on my DSL.

XPE

Well, I caved and got a 3DS XL thanks to Best Buy Price matched at Target with a $30 gift card. Played a little Mario Kart 7, and I was impressed. What is the one essential game that I need to get right away?

Resident Evil Revelations, an excellent game.

dc89

At least we got the white one now in Europe. But I would buy a second one instantly if they would release one of those:

Nintendo-3DS-XL1.jpg

Animal Crossing or bust!

slit

I did the same thing today at Target, but they only gave me a $20 gift card :(

Danj

Have to say, I'm liking the look of the Blue/Black on the XL a lot more than I thought I would based on the images I saw online. Think I prefer it to the plain white on my DSL.

I picked the red and black model here, the blue one wasn't really a shade I liked. I so want that Japan only SRW black 3DS XL though, such a shame Play-Asia is charging $450 for it.

randomkid

I'd like to get a used 3ds at gamestop so I can swipe the ambassador games and then give as a gift to a cousin who wouldnt care about it, I know a couple people said they did this earlier in the thread. The gamestops I called said they restore traded in 3ds's to factory settings though, so is it impossible to buy an ambassador 3ds from gamestop?

Just started playing kingdom hearts DDD and got to "the grid" and the ghosting is terrible, also didn't realize you had to pull the 3d slider all the way down to shut the 3d off, I thought my new xl was stuck with 3d on lol. Overall I'm glad I purchased the xl but the 3d dead zone seems the same or even worse than the original 3ds.

Eusis

Region locking probably is a factor, if all systems were exactly the same aside from some labeling and what charger they came with I imagine that, at worst, they'd have certain colors only available in stores and others online. And if a color underperforms in one region it's just a matter of putting it in a new package and shipping off.

Then again, the only damn difference is the color of the shell, so they could just as easily take the shell off of underperforming ones and put a new one on. Should at least get basic ones like White and Black out there, even if we never see stuff like the Animal Crossing one.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Has anyone bought an XL charging cradle? I really liked the cradle on the 3DS but I'm not sure it's worth the nearly £20 it costs for the XL.

So i had transferred data from my 3DS to my awesome new Blue XL but all my ambassador titles remain on the 2GB SD Card.

Okay, i get i can redownload them from the e shop, however my pokedex! Is this where I'm screwed? I can get the pokedex but my 90+ Pokemon are gone for good? I'd rather just lose the extra 2GB and keep the old SD card in my XL. The old 3DS has been formatted so it wont read the games on the SD card so gifting Pokemon isn't an option. Any other solutions so i can take advantage of my 4GB? Transferring data via pc from one card to the other didn't work either.

Has anyone bought an XL charging cradle? I really liked the cradle on the 3DS but I'm not sure it's worth the nearly £20 it costs for the XL.
I put one on my Wish List last Sunday after grabbing my XL and sort of bribed my fiancée into (hopefully) grabbing it as a last minute Christmas gift. I kind of feel it's an essential item after having been spoiled with it the first time around. I'm sort of annoyed that it's only available to buy on Nintendo's site, but ugh, I feel like I need it.

cRIPticon

Have to say, with the upgrade to the 3DS XL, it is now my favorite handheld system. Paper Mario: Sticker Star has been a treat and Super Mario 3D Land is awesome! Playing back through Chrono Trigger on those big, bright screens was a fantastic experience as well.

Love my 3DS XL!

I got one of these today and I was wondering... Is the 3D... Always on? Even though I had the switch on the off position it still had the 3D effect.

Argh, just noticed my new 3DS XL has a dead pixel on the top screen. Gonna have to send it in to Nintendo. I don't have to pay shipping, do I?

Argh, just noticed my new 3DS XL has a dead pixel on the top screen. Gonna have to send it in to Nintendo. I don't have to pay shipping, do I?

Nintendo said:
If, after using the system for awhile, the tiny dot is too distracting, the Nintendo 3DS does carry a one-year warranty.

We are happy to inspect and, if necessary, fix the system at no charge within the warranty period. To start the repair process, click here.
Sounds like you won't. Never heard of a company charging for shipping for a warranty outside of crummy ones like Turtle Beach. I've heard great things about Nintendo's support.

MNC

Seems like any good thread:

Crashmo + Colors 3d

vs

Crashmo + Picross e

(I have the possibility to pick up art academy in january)

cacildo

My 3Ds Xl will arrive this week. Yep, "arrive", so you see im in a country where you have to import this kind of thing.

I know for a fact that if i set the country as my real country, the game prices on Eshop will rise absurdely.

- So is it possible to just change back and forth country settings? I mean, i set it to one country just to check the prices, then i go back to another country... etc?

- My 3ds will arrive from canada. My brother already played with it a little. Can i create a new "profile" or "account" or there isnt anything like that on the 3ds?

Jackano

My 3Ds Xl will arrive this week. Yep, "arrive", so you see im in a country where you have to import this kind of thing.

I know for a fact that if i set the country as my real country, the game prices on Eshop will rise absurdely.

- So is it possible to just change back and forth country settings? I mean, i set it to one country just to check the prices, then i go back to another country... etc?

- My 3ds will arrive from canada. My brother already played with it a little. Can i create a new "profile" or "account" or there isnt anything like that on the 3ds?

I'm not sure you can change the country. You can change the language but not the country. This is region-locking so your 3DS is North American / Canadian for its life.
There is no profile or user account. You will maybe need to format the system to make a fresh start.
How ever you can tie a Club Nintendo account to the eShop. But you will need a Nintendo CA account for this to work on a CA 3DS.
I think it's like that, I can make some mistake since I never tried this so take a second advice ^^"

cacildo

How ever you can tie a Club Nintendo account to the eShop. But you will need a Nintendo CA account for this to work on a CA 3DS.

mmm thanks for the answer. And for reminding me of club nintendo.
I obviously dont have a club nintendo account. How can i get one?

My brother just played a little with the 3ds. He cant get around the tiny screens from portables, so i probably wont have any reason to clean the 3ds

also

Banned
I have an EU 3DSXL and you can freely change between available countries as many times as you want, I'm assuming the same is true for the Americas region.
All your games from the eShop are tied to your 3DS and available to play and download at all times (obviously the eShop from the region has to carry the game, otherwise you can't redownload it), but uploaded funds are tied to each country. Say you upload 5$ to your Canadian account and then switch to the USA region. Your 5 CA$ will stay in your CA account and your USA account will show a balance of 0. If you want to use your 5 CA$ you will have to switch your 3DS back to CA.
You will probably want to set your 3DS to Canada, Alberta since they accept foreign credit cards, charge the lowest tax and you get Club Nintendo points. If you don't care about the points you can switch to Brazil, since they also accept foreign credit cards and the games are usually even cheaper. Digital versions of Nintendo's retail games (3D Land and the like) are more expensive though.

You can create your Club Nintendo account here.
https://club.nintendo.com/home.do

EDIT: Every time you change regions and check the eShop, you will have to reconnect your 3DS to your Club Nintendo account.

zroid

Banned
Seems like any good thread:

Crashmo + Colors 3d

vs

Crashmo + Picross e

(I have the possibility to pick up art academy in january)

can't really go wrong with picross, but if you're already a half-decent artist you'll probably get a lot of enjoyment from Colors. Otherwise I would play Art Academy first and THEN go into Colors -- it's a smooth transition.

by the way, here's a more appropriate thread in the future: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=504238

cacildo

I have an EU 3DSXL and you can freely change between available countries as many times as you want, I'm assuming the same is true for the Americas region.
All your games from the eShop are tied to your 3DS and available to play and download at all times (obviously the eShop from the region has to carry the game, otherwise you can't redownload it), but uploaded funds are tied to each country. Say you upload 5$ to your Canadian account and then switch to the USA region. Your 5 CA$ will stay in your CA account and your USA account will show a balance of 0. If you want to use your 5 CA$ you will have to switch your 3DS back to CA.
You will probably want to set your 3DS to Canada, Alberta since they accept foreign credit cards, charge the lowest tax and you get Club Nintendo points. If you don't care about the points you can switch to Brazil, since they also accept foreign credit cards and the games are usually even cheaper. Digital versions of Nintendo's retail games (3D Land and the like) are more expensive though.

You can create your Club Nintendo account here.
https://club.nintendo.com/home.do

EDIT: Every time you change regions and check the eShop, you will have to reconnect your 3DS to your Club Nintendo account.

Thank you. That was almost everything i needed to know.

Only one question left: ill have a single Nintendo Club account. Can i sign every purchase i make on the E-shop, even if its from different countries?

Say, i buy Mario 3d land on the canadian e-shop. Then i sign on the brazilian e-shop and buy, i dont know, liberation maiden. Can both games be listed on my club nintendo account?

Are the nintendoclub rewards any good? I heard about "Free Mario 3d land with a simple register" for the EU nintendo club... how does that work?

- Funny you mentioned Brasil, cause thats where i live. Nintendo charges high prices over here, so that´s why im gathering info on how to pay a little bit less, before my 3ds arrive.

Gnub

Nintendo-3DS-XL1.jpg

Dear Nintendo,

PLEASE bring the monster hunter xl bundle to the US.

Thanks,
Gnub

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom