• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro City Rampage confirmed for October 9th (US PSN)

Eusis

which clearly explains why i didn't know - no interest in either one...
There's also Code of Princess, but that's a 3DS game and thus not directly in line like Dishonored and Xcom. But yeah, that day's just an absurd bounty of riches for many tastes.

Cross buy + $100 offer means I'm getting this day one. Gave in and got Little King's Story, so I'd only need I think $30 more to qualify.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
There's also Code of Princess, but that's a 3DS game and thus not directly in line like Dishonored and Xcom. But yeah, that day's just an absurd bounty of riches for many tastes.

Cross buy + $100 offer means I'm getting this day one. Gave in and got Little King's Story, so I'd only need I think $30 more to qualify.

Wait what? Little King's Story is $40 right? This can't possibly be any more than like $15?

Eusis

Wait what? Little King's Story is $40 right? This can't possibly be any more than like $15?
Yeah, it is, but I bought Nights and Spelunker this week.

I should clarify actually: I meant after this and those purchases I'd probably need only $30 more, maybe around $35 if we see a plus promo. And with Jet Set Radio Vita out next week it'd probably then become $20 more, unless the port's crap on Vita anyway.

About time!

Didn't they say it was delayed all this time so that it come come out with the XBOX version? I only see the PSN version listed, did they finally just say 'fuck it'?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
...very bad timing for me, I'll be playing Dishonored and Xcom. RCR needed to be out in July or august..oh well I'll get it later I guess.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
The gaming gauntlet of Double Dragon Neon, TTT2, DOA 5, Borderlands 2, Resident Evil 6, the Sega collections, Code of Princess, and getting a PS3 has been pretty hard for me and brother to get to everything... (Lets not even mention Vita titles for Oct / Nov) but might as well add Retro City Rampage onto the list!

This might be the first game I end up buying on both console platforms... #YOPO will make it very worthwhile to get for Vita (PS3 is just a bonus!), but I'd love to have this on my 360, and isn't character creation or something like that exclusive to the 360 version? All the Cameos and game content is suppose to be the same though.

Yay, more music from "Virt!" First the excellent DDNeon Soundtrack, and now some tracks in this game:) The music has always been very catchy in this games trailers.

kassatsu

Banned
"Retro City Rampage is finally launching October 9th on PS3 and PS Vita in North America and on PC / Steam / GOG worldwide. The European PS3 and PS Vita releases will follow later this month, WiiWare following shortly after that. The XBLA version is 99.9% ready to get out the door, but still waiting for a release slot."

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
^ Is there a source for that quote?

So, all that time for trying for a simultaneous PSN / XBLA release, and the XBLA one is still going to come out later? That... doesn't sound like a consistent story, but eh...

Wonder if we're on the verge of another "Company P.O'd at XBLA policies" explosion from this? Just glad they'll start being able to make some money off the game, though!

Carl

"Retro City Rampage is finally launching October 9th on PS3 and PS Vita in North America and on PC / Steam / GOG worldwide. The European PS3 and PS Vita releases will follow later this month, WiiWare following shortly after that. The XBLA version is 99.9% ready to get out the door, but still waiting for a release slot."

Oh do fuck off.

kassatsu

Banned

So, all that time for trying for a simultaneous PSN / XBLA release, and the XBLA one is still going to come out later? That... doesn't sound like a consistent story, but eh...
My email from Brian Provinciano

Full PR

Retro City Rampage is finally launching October 9th on PS3 and PS Vita in North America and on PC / Steam / GOG worldwide. The European PS3 and PS Vita releases will follow later this month, WiiWare following shortly after that. The XBLA version is 99.9% ready to get out the door, but still waiting for a release slot.

I made the decision to release the game on each platform as soon as it's through certification rather than wait any longer in an attempt to achieve an absolutely simultaneous launch.

For a chance to play Retro City Rampage even sooner, head over to your nearest GameStop. The PS Vita version will be playable at GameStops across the United States starting this month, hopefully by the time you're reading this!

Wonder if we're on the verge of another "Company P.O'd at XBLA policies" explosion from this? Just glad they'll start being able to make some money off the game, though!

when is the last explosion? honest question.

Massa

Sounds like they got tired of waiting and just said fuck it.

Ponn

Banned

Full PR

Good, screw MS for holding this up and good on RCR dev finally ballsing up and giving them the bird and releasing it. Hopefully it will still get some time to get sales before the holiday onslaught drowns it out. Any longer of a wait and it would have been D.O.A.

VanWinkle

Nice press release. I am so excited for this. Will purchase on Vita the minute it's available. Getting a free PS3 copy is just icing on the cake.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
It's about fucking time. Too bad I can't buy it anytime soon.

The downside of the game being delayed as much as it has. The great thing about the earlier June release, is that I had free cash and time to play stuff like RCR. This month, unfortunately, with rent, bills, loans, my wife's birthday, other games (like AC3, AC3: Lib, Ragnarok Odyssey, Killzone HD, etc), I don't have as much disposable income this month as I had before.

It's annoying that the game was held up this long. I'd like to buy it day one, but I'm not so sure I can squeeze it in. It may have to wait a few months (November is also a packed month of games for me).

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

Full PR

Thanks, just nice to know the source on net stuff, helps back it up.

when is the last explosion? honest question.

I dunno, maybe the Notch VS MS Win Cert stuff? Or the Fez issues.

-----

Everyone generally talks like it's a contractual obligation to honor simultaneous releases and exclusive features for XBLA releases. Can he really just "flip the bird" to MS, and release it on other platforms when he wants? That's all well and good from a person-to-person standpoint, but not so much as a business move.

Doesn't this suggest that HE wanted to achieve simultaneous releases, and it was never a pure MS issue? They might be holding back the release on Live, but the decision on when to release each version seems to be up to him, going by what we're seeing happen now.

Thanks, just nice to know the source on net stuff, helps back it up.

I dunno, maybe the Notch VS MS Win Cert stuff? Or the Fez issues.

-----

Everyone generally talks like it's a contractual obligation to honor simultaneous releases and exclusive features for XBLA releases. Can he really just "flip the bird" to MS, and release it on other platforms when he wants? That's all well and good from a person-to-person standpoint, but not so much as a business move.

Doesn't this suggest that HE wanted to achieve simultaneous releases, and it was never a pure MS issue? They might be holding back the release on Live, but the decision on when to release each version seems to be up to him, going by what we're seeing happen now.

Contractual obligations with Microsoft are when you are having Microsoft be the "publisher" of your game. This game is published by D3 Publisher. Now it's a whole other issue of D3P having to wait until Microsoft gives them a "slot". Another option is renting a slot from another publisher who is for whatever reason in higher standing with Microsoft and has more slots than they have games.

XBLA publishing is a mess, but it is the console where the money is.

Full PR

Maybe this will force MS to push the game through. The dev didn't seem very happy with them. Glad he went ahead and OKed release on other platforms instead of waiting forever but it still seems kind of a bit late.

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
Good timing for me because I am going on a trip next weekend. This game looks pretty rad and I can't wait to try it out on my trip. This and New Little Kings Story will more than fill the few hours Ill be able to play.

Turns out the Vita is pretty awesome if you are out of the home and want to play substantial games. The iPhone just isn't that great of a device to play games on. I'm sure that any iPhone would be powerful enough to run Retro City Rampage, but would it actually be an enjoyable experience to play on an iPhone?

jmizzal

Was gonna get this on Wiiware but my Wii is kinda dying, it wont read disc but I can play Wiiware games, but it might die all the way.

So I will go with Steam so have something else to play leading up to WiiU, not gonna wait to buy it on Wiiware on my WiiU, I will be too busy playing those WiiU games :).

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Contractual obligations with Microsoft are when you are having Microsoft be the "publisher" of your game. This game is published by D3 Publisher. Now it's a whole other issue of D3P having to wait until Microsoft gives them a "slot". Another option is renting a slot from another publisher who is for whatever reason in higher standing with Microsoft and has more slots than they have games.

XBLA publishing is a mess, but it is the console where the money is.

-nod- I'm not mad at him for holding back like this, but if it really was his choice all this time, I just think the MS hate is a bit exaggerated.

I do hope his power-play here helps give it an XBLA slot, would have been great to come out yesterday, since NOTHING came out in most regions then.

It'll really be interesting to see how these kinds of situations effect downloadable releases on consoles next gen. XBLA having nothing this Wed, and PSN having 3 weeks worth of games all releasing on a day next Tues, on top of the quiet release of so much PSMobile stuff this week, just helps magnify how mangled and messy the console downloadable game space policies are.

Didn't know WHAT was coming out on PSM the day before it released, still don't have any idea what we have to look forward to in the coming days, and no concept of a release scheduele yet...

What if RCR was free for PS+ that'd be neat haha yeah right

Hmmm, a PS+ Game with YOPO attached? That'd be a lot of give-away. It'd also be a nice way to get "Plus X Vita" a bit of an early premiere, haha. I'd be happy with a 1st week plus discount, it seems like a solid deal for PS3/Vita console owners already.

Top Bottom