• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park raised a generation of trolls (The AV Club)

Erico

Unconfirmed Member
Good article, I stopped watching South Park a long time ago, but I noticed lots of young people using memes from the show to shout down any deep discussion during the election cycle.

I think we can agree - when ranking generations of Americans raised by cartoons - Prime Simpsons generation > South Park generation

The most annoying thing is it fostered apathy and antagonism to people that actually give a damn about something.

The episode that i tapped out was the one were Stan just said "Everything is shit, why care?"

I think you completely missed the point of the episode. It's probably my favorite episode because they are basically engaging in self mockery and it's sharp as fuck:

giphy.gif

The whole two episode saga speaks deeply on our tendency to just criticize things because it makes us feel better about themselves.

HotHamBoy

Dunno...

But don't have to talk about it.

At least encourage people not to invoke the show in political conversations?

Invoking South Park in politcal conversations is like, the least I'm worried about people invoking in political conversations.

If you are dumb enough to get your views from South Park you were probably getting those views from somewhere else, too.

That's banal. The other one is toxic.

Yeah, but it's also YouTube. Any asshole can put that shit out there. YouTube would have to choose to restrict that toxicity and we can't control what social platforms do.

Not

Banned
The progressive left set themselves up for this exact senario when they became as humourless and restrictive as the religious right.

When the progressives won the cuture war, and we did win, we started using the exact same methods of as the conservatives. Shame and shout downs and ostracization.

Some people find the policing its self to be the issue especially snarky assholes.

Oh King Boo fucking Horton Hears a Hoo.

For all the stupid entitled shit our side has done, which we HAVE, we've never been on the side of the Ku Klux Klan and Neo Nazis and corporations who think people without money should die and rape apologists.

The people who feel attacked by the left are privileged people. All they can do is whine. The people who are attacked by the right are disparaged people. They can get fucking murdered and our society will justify it.

The most annoying thing is it fostered apathy and antagonism to people that actually give a damn about something.

The episode that i tapped out was the one were Stan just said "Everything is shit, why care?"

there's a difference between (logical) people that gave a damn about something and (raging) people that got triggered by EVERYTHING.

It's a thin line though and i am afraid the trigger happy people are overwhelmingly the majority.

Case in point: There's a thread in the gaming corner that absolutely defined JRR Tolkien as racists and am raging about it over there.

Triteon

So you're saying all the racists and sexists actually aren't but simply people pushing back against PC culture?

No im not saying that, racists and sexists exist. But i think there is a contigent of people that will say shit to get a rise out of people.

The same people in the 60s would have been attacking the establishment.

You dont react to those people, you dont do the lefts equivalent of "wont someone think of the children". Because thats what they want.

Slayven

there's a difference between (logical) people that gave a damn about something and (raging) people that got triggered by EVERYTHING.

It's a thin line though and i am afraid the trigger happy people are overwhelmingly the majority.

Case in point: There's a thread in the gaming corner that absolutely defined JRR Tolkien as racists and am raging about it over there.
Proof?

Magwik

Banned
The generation of trolls were raised on an internet where nobody is held accountable. Google/YouTube doesn't, Twitter doesn't, and Facebook doesn't. The biggest platforms on the internet allow and breed these circles. All it takes is giving someone like Sargon a platform and allowing them to stay, to do irreparable harm. Social media lets these people become celebrities and lead groups of teenagers and kids who cannot think for themselves.

South Park is no longer a problem, people who make "Child friendly" content like PewDiePie are far more dangerous, because they are real and tangible. They have real ideas and aren't just a cartoon, they speak directly to their followers who happen to be teenagers or kids. They are the modern day idols, and an idol is far more dangerous and influential than South Park.

no child should ever see Eric Cartman as any kind of rolemodel.

are you even watching south park correctly?

Eric Cartman and his nonsense is not something Stone and parker were trying to promote...in fact, it is the opposite. They created this caricature of a monster in a kid and decided to make a mockery out of him. Eric Cartman is the avatar of every shitty human in existence and was protagonist for most of the episodes. The fact he is the most popular is because it's FUN watching him spouting his nonsense and suffer for it later.

Eric most definitely always got 'karma-ed' at the end of most episodes.

Triteon

Oh King Boo fucking Horton Hears a Hoo.

For all the stupid entitled shit our side has done, which we HAVE, we've never been on the side of the Ku Klux Klan and Neo Nazis and corporations who think people without money should die and rape apologists.

The people who feel attacked by the left are privileged people. All they can do is whine. The people who are attacked by the right are disparaged people. They can get fucking murdered and our society will justify it.

I dont disagree i just thought wed be better at this stuff than them. Its disappointing that we aren't.

So you just making up stuff, and when push comes to serve you will just spout nonsense instead of prove your point. Message received.

yes, but are you triggered though?

all i know is that many triggered happy people never admit to being triggered happy people.....

in fact, they are triggered by the fact that they were being labelled as triggered happy.

So much triggering.

TRIGGER-CEPTION.

Brakke

Banned

all i know is that many triggered happy people never admit to being triggered happy people.....

in fact, they are triggered by the fact that they were being labelled as triggered happy.

So much triggering.

TRIGGER-CEPTION.

Did you feel clever when you got to the end of this?

Are you very pleased with yourself?

Does this feel like a win to you?

South Park is the reason I have to deal with people quoting/posting screen caps of "Giant Douche vs Shit Sandwich" as a genuine "argument"/"defense" of not voting. I swear this show excels at bringing out dumbfuckery unlike anything else on TV not on Fox News.

I haven't even watched it, but isn't that against the point of the episode anyway? I seem to recall people pointing that out, and if so that would make it all the dumber.

CassSept

I didn't like the last couple of seasons and I can totally understand people who feel like the show is pandering to the alt-right these days. I also think the decision not to cover Trump is uttery ridiculous and reeks of an attempt not to piss off that part of their audience. If you are creating satire in America, you have to cover what might be the world's most influential clown, period. "Reality is more fucked up than whatever we can think off" is indeed a lazy copt-out.

They had an episode in season 19 lambasting Trump (Canada being a desolate wasteland after being governed by Trump expy) and then spent the entire season 20 showing how bloody awful Trump is. Opinions like the one in the post above had been repeated by dozens of people ever since Matt and Trey's statement and I cannot see how they can be made by anyone who watched the last two seaons.

Been thinking more and more about that, like the Alt Right isn't really a polical movement. They exist just to piss people off.

That's literally all the right wing base cares about really. They don't have any real ideological grounds. They have no real agenda. They don't even seem to understand that government impacts lives. It's a culture of bitter grievance and anger at "those libruls." They only care about politics, politicians and policy in so much that it will upset or straight up harm 'those libruls." That's all they care about.

Nanashrew

Banned

So much triggering.

TRIGGER-CEPTION.

I think you're proving the article correct in your behavior trying to get others riled up and your incessant use of "triggered."

You can draw through lines between certain sections of the alt-right, trolls, and general terrible people with South Park whether it be specific examples like "man bear pig" or "turd sandwich" or generalities like their incredibly obvious "both sides" and libertarian bent. But, people are stupid, and a lot of people here, and those that cross pollinate to reddit, seem oblivious to their indoctrination.

When I hear someone in real life say that faggot is an ok word to use because South Park reclaimed it, or that the science is out on global warming because Al Gore is an idiot, or anything "NAGGERS" related, or whatever, I know where they got their idea of "politics".

Does that make everyone who watches South Park a monster? No. But it seems undeniable that it influenced a whole lot of numbskulls. But with trolling online, it is increasingly hard to tell the line.

At the very least, the show has done a lot of harm that out from which the creators continually try to wiggle.

Triteon

Pure unmitigated bullshit

I call bullshit on your bullshit.
You just have to look in this forum to see it. People working themselves into knots over various issues in media.

Rap music being misogynistic and black metal being nationalistic.

Is the outcome any different that the rights hang up with swearing and satan?

i think i will get banned if i post any further because someone (important) may get triggered.

That being said, my last post will be this....a world without South park is a world without humor.

What's the next article and post to denounce george carlin? Because his humour is pretty much on point with south park's.

South Park went after Trump for a whole season. It wasn't that funny. South Park didn't raise anyone to be anything because you shouldn't been raised by it in the first place.
Better watch out then, Rick and Morty about to raise the next generation.
they better start getting their humor right then. Show is such a bore.

Cipherr

So much triggering.

TRIGGER-CEPTION.

Like... this is what happens when you try to have a discussion about something of actual importance on the internet.... Jesus Christ.

Hjod

Banned
The generation of trolls were raised on an internet where nobody is held accountable. Google/YouTube doesn't, Twitter doesn't, and Facebook doesn't. The biggest platforms on the internet allow and breed these circles. All it takes is giving someone like Sargon a platform and allowing them to stay, to do irreparable harm. Social media lets these people become celebrities and lead groups of teenagers and kids who cannot think for themselves.

South Park is no longer a problem, people who make "Child friendly" content like PewDiePie are far more dangerous, because they are real and tangible. They have real ideas and aren't just a cartoon, they speak directly to their followers who happen to be teenagers or kids. They are the modern day idols, and an idol is far more dangerous and influential than South Park.

Well said. Youtubers are raising the next generation.

I watched SP when I was growing up, around when I was 15. I understood that it was satire, but on the other hand I had friends who didn't and thought Cartman was cool never seeing that character as an warning example how not to behave/act.

i think i will get banned if i post any further because someone (important) may get triggered.

That being said, my last post will be this....a world without South park is a world without humor.

What's the next article and post to denounce george carlin? Because his humour is pretty much on point with south park's.

You were asked to provide support for an assertion and instead went on an incoherent rant...

Also No SP does not equal a world without humour

I think the premise of the article just been proved in real time

the article is trying to propose that an entire generation of people growing up watching south park became less empathetic to their surroundings...

on the other end though, what i observed is also an entire generation of people only allowing 'positiveness' to be shown and any forms of 'self-parody' will considered 'insensitive'.

I am a big fan of George Carlin and i knew alot of Gaffers am as well. And I am sure George mocked fat people that same way South Park did too. So what's your stance of George Carlin, gaf?

D i Z

So much triggering.

TRIGGER-CEPTION.

The hell is "Triggered happy?"

I call bullshit on your bullshit.
You just have to look in this forum to see it. People working themselves into knots over various issues in media.

Rap music being misogynistic and black metal being nationalistic.

Is the outcome any different that the rights hang up with swearing and satan?

Some rap is misogynistic and some black metal is nationalistic

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013

You aren't going to get banned for "triggering" someone, you're getting banned for purposefully acting like an asshole.

V_Arnold

There are two major type of people when it comes to South Park.
One type who took South Park as satire of the topics it describes.

And one who took the series in LITERALLY.
I sometimes meet people like that and I am a bit shocked. Although, an episode centered around, say, Ms. Information and holistic healing when your son is about do die from kidney failure is a bit harder to take in "literally" than, say, a whole episode centered around bashing World of Warcraft players.

Cipherr

Well said. Youtubers are raising the next generation.

I watched SP when I was growing up, around when I was 15. I understood that it was satire, but on the other hand I had friends who didn't and thdy thought Cartman was cool never seeing that character as an warning example how not to behave/act.

For my circle/generation that was Bart Simpson. Was supposed to be comedy, not a signal to children my age that being a self proclaimed "Underachiever" was something to aspire to. I legitimately remember my parents bellyaching over whether or not I should be allowed to watch it anymore way back then. They just had a talk with me and explained it and let me continue, but I do remember it.

And truthfully I would have probably been devastated if during the height of every kid in class singing the lyrics to "Do the Bartman" I couldn't join because I didn't know it lol.

In any case, Im glad my parents noticed the risk, and cared enough to take a moment to raise their child.

Somewhat mirrors an argument I jumped into from the Season 20 thread:

Yes but the issue is that the show's cynicism is not just always overblown but empowers a relatively young pseudo-intellectual fanbase to approach politics, culture and society at large with a sneering apathy. The show is definitely funny but that doesn't mean that it should be free from criticism nor should you - or anyone else - handwave that criticism as 'hilarious' as there's a dialogue to be had.

I feel like the messages of this specific episode were a bit muddled and reductive of real world issues which is when I think South Park is at its weakest and least funny and yes this is mostly about the Clinton/Garrison stuff.

Though this article finds more hostility to the apathy than me. I think this article kind of speaks to a phenomena I've seen with my brother. He's by no means 'alt right', hates the idea of Trump but also really hates SJWs (he had to tell me what those were) and shows me funny videos of SJWs being taken down, sometimes a South Park joke, a recent episode of The Simpsons where Burns goes to College and they're all 'SJWs', we argued once before that I think alt-right sites are dangerous for young people because they essentially foster a kind of neo-white supremacy but he disagrees and thinks twitter and tumblr are far more dangerous because they teach kids bullshit and convince them its vogue to be a-sexual or pan-sexual or whatever (he couldn't explain the actual damage, mind).

His main issue with SJWs seems to be that they're self-righteous and smug. He doesn't mind that you can ignore these people - he claims you can't because they're 'everywhere' but he clearly goes out of his way to find them or sees them re-posted on reddit or wherever - but just that they exist. That kind of 'despite what you believe or do, I hate you because I'm projecting that you think you're better than me' is very South Park but South Park at least controls its own narrative. If you foster a way of thinking and then it becomes loose and unfocused then people slowly start letting some of the bullshit seep into your brain. Its not longer just 'funny' to wind up 'SJWs' but you hate them, you think they're dangerous.

What an absolute cop-out.

Look, I get it. You can't win an argument, you can in here to defend your favourite show and when you were asked for hard facts you just ended up being the caricature of something you tried to argue against. You have to actually reason with people, try and make an argument, not just go 'triggered, triggered, triggered.' Like, if that's where you want to be, why bother posting?

Maybe if you wanted to defend South Park you should actually try, make some arguments, think about it for just a little bit.

If you get banned, its not because people were 'triggered', its because you're not contributing anything and just being belligerent for - apparently - the sake of it.

Nobody here - nor the article - is saying the show should be cancelled or the show is evil, we're talking about the effects of a pop-culture phenomena and how people can interpret art. You, however, are just saying 'triggered, triggered, triggered' and that gap in dialogue makes people more reluctant to disagree with the article.

There are two major type of people when it comes to South Park.
One type who took South Park as satire of the topics it describes.

And one who took the series in LITERALLY.
I sometimes meet people like that and I am a bit shocked. Although, an episode centered around, say, Ms. Information and holistic healing when your son is about do die from kidney failure is a bit harder to take in "literally" than, say, a whole episode centered around bashing World of Warcraft players.

there's an episode of SP 'bashing' obesity...ie. Cartman realised that he can abuse his 'obesity' privileges and demand everyone to conform to him and his bike and i knew someone that got anger by that episode and said Stone and Parker are 'fat-shaming'.

People don't really understand what parody means?

Top Bottom