• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoodbury

Woah, just think.... tomorrow, we will be able to say the Thursday conference is tomorrow.

Kinda trippy. Hype increasing by the hour.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
There is absolutely zero evidence that he knows anything.
Aren't we speaking about yet unreleased products here? What solid evidences could one possibly provide that could be easily verified? Also, some kinds of info, no matter how solid that could be, could potentially never be verified. Not on public forums, anyway.

I, for one, have always found bg's 'endless' speculations interesting. Actually, it could be outright amazing how much insight (note how I'm not using adjectives as 'solid', 'verified', etc) an industry outsider could gain about a kept-under-wraps unreleased product just by carefully listening to the wind whispers.

The_Lump

Banned
AMD chips have had tessellators on them for awhile. The RV700 chip which was the 4XXX line had a tessellator on it. So it wouldn't be all that weird.

AMD weren't designed console with a 5+ year lifespan & aiming to get 3rd party support for that lifespan when they developed the rv700
:p

Can't imagine why USB HDDs would work and thumb drives wouldn't, so most likely.

Does anyone know if Wii U is only SDHC and not SDXC on the SD port? I already have a spare SDXC 64GB card. Would be good to put a bunch of indie and VC games on it while having two main stay retail games installed at all times.

Nintendo might get around this limitation by splitting their backup format since they are allowing external hdd but will it be fat32 or their own file system format which means we will not be able to use these externals drives with other devices. if FAT32 then splitting their backup format is the way to go and SDXC should not be a problem right?

You guys are asking him stuff like "will ports from PS4 be possible" and "will Samaritan or UE4 run on this?" Wtf. The guy has never even done console development! How the hell does he know? Lol.

Is that PS4 game going to use compute shaders to implement a tiled forward rendering model? Well if the Wii-U compute shader support is not that good a port would require an engine rewrite. Is that the case? I have no idea and neither does bg.

Before you all pile on the guy, he does make a great point here. From a strictly hardware perspective, the whole "Will U will get 3rd party ports and be the ps2 of next gen" argument is really invalid unless it's coming from an industry dev. The closest thing we had was Iherre, and he debunked that theory.

The_Lump

Banned
Does anyone know if Wii U is only SDHC and not SDXC on the SD port? I already have a spare SDXC 64GB card. Would be good to put a bunch of indie and VC games on it while having two main stay retail games installed at all times.

Nintendo might get around this limitation by splitting their backup format since they are allowing external hdd but will it be fat32 or their own file system format which means we will not be able to use these externals drives with other devices. if FAT32 then splitting their backup format is the way to go and SDXC should not be a problem right?

No word yet, but something similar has been done on 3DS I believe. I'm hoping so as Id go for a large fast SD card over an ssd at this point.

Wii-U devs have devkits. That means they have know the instruction set for example. I mean FFS they have a compiler that produces that instruction set, how could they possibly not know?

What you seem to be talking about, your dev friends, are people who are licensed for Nintendo but not for Wii-U. They probably do not know a whole lot of specifics, sure. However actual Wii-U developers obviously know way way more than this.

As a dev you know exactly what features the GPU supports. How could you not know if you are working on a game that ships in a few months? The idea that this is the level of information that actual developers have is again just completely ridiculous.

Wii U devs have dev kits? Didn't know that. See the spoiler. Same person who also informed me on the final "specs".

Of course the features are known. I never said they weren't. As I said, those other specs are a summary of the final specs. Seems to me you are seeing what you want to see.

XenodudeX

Before you all pile on the guy, he does make a great point here. From a strictly hardware perspective, the whole "Will U will get 3rd party ports and be the ps2 of next gen" argument is really invalid unless it's coming from an industry dev. The closest thing we had was Iherre, and he debunked that theory.
Link? That would mean a wii situation all over again if true.

Margalis

Banned
Wii U devs have dev kits? Didn't know that. See the spoiler. Same person who also informed me on the final "specs".

Why did you even link to this post? It says nothing at all. The only "information" in that post about the guy who showed you the dev kit was that the dev kit case was small. But the system itself had already been shown months earlier at E3...

Banned
i've never played the Galaxy games, if Nintendo released HD versions of those games I'd buy a Wii U that day
NPH-SLAP.gif

Tehalemi

Woah, just think.... tomorrow, we will be able to say the Thursday conference is tomorrow.

Kinda trippy. Hype increasing by the hour.

And by Thursday 12:00am EST, we'll be able to say the Thursday conference is today...how 'bout that shit.

:O:O:O:O:O

I keed, I keed. :3

Link? That would mean a wii situation all over again if true.
I don't have a link, but I remember that lherre was skeptical about Wii U receiving ports. He said that if developers could port PlayStation 4 and Xbox 720 games to Wii U, they could probably port it to PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 as well. He seems to be saying that Wii U will be much closer to current generation consoles than the next, but I don't recall the context of the situation.

For what it's worth, he also recently insinuated that Wii U supports Unreal Engine 4.

Hoodbury

And by Thursday 12:00am EST, we'll be able to say the Thursday conference is today...how 'bout that shit.

:O:O:O:O:O

I keed, I keed. :3

Ya, but did you know that when it's Thursday, they don't call it "the Thursday Conference", they just call it "the conference".

Tehalemi

Ya, but did you know that when it's Thursday, they don't call it "the Thursday Conference", they just call it "the conference".

Oh snap, I don did got learned!

the-more-you-know-o.gif

Stay on target gaffers, we're almost home!!!........we're almost home......

You'll have your spoils soon enough. :)

Hey guys, stop bugging BG and Ws for leaks. You can wait 1-2 days worth of hardware info :) Also, please direct spec talk to rumor spec thread.

Why did you even link to this post? It says nothing at all. The only "information" in that post about the guy who showed you the dev kit was that the dev kit case was small. But the system itself had already been shown months earlier at E3...

The point was to show you that the person had Wii U dev kit access and not just licensed with Nintendo. Since you are claiming that is the case. And the system was shown after the dev kits went out and even then when I was shown that I was told they had already moved on from that version. At the same time I gave a more detailed description a few posts later. Which was later shown publicly by VGLeaks.

But hey, I think I've derailed this thread enough so you can have the last word if you want. You're free to believe whatever you want just like the next person. Sitting here trying to prove something takes away from the real purpose of this thread. :)

Thought he said it was closer to Dreamcast & Xbox than PS2 & Xbox.

This was asked:
Oddduck said:
Would you say the gap between Wii U and Durango is more like...

The gap between PS2 and Xbox 1.

or

The gap between Dreamcast and Xbox 1?

He responded with this:
Iherre said:
Difficult to measure ... But i think Is more Like the Second one (Sorry about the capital letters I'm On ny iPhone XD)

Someone asked this:
wsippel said:
That would put the next Xbox at ~3-4 times the raw performance of Wii U? That's not really all that terrible.

Then finally:
Iherre said:
Well I only have 2 options to choose in that post but I honestly think it will be bigger.

It all starts on this page"http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=38275164#post38275164

I'm not really surprised or even disappointed in the Wii U specs.

Nintendo is in it's own game, and the specs point to it being a nice jump over the Wii. They'll likely sell it for profit for less than $300.

They probably feel pretty good about it, especially if they can launch with the two biggest third party games this year: Assassin's Creed III and COD BLOPS 2.

In a perfect world they will entice publishers to port the new IPs already released this gen to try to maximize profit. Stuff like Lollipop Chainsaw, Asura's Wrath, Sleeping Dogs etc, would be nice to see get second chances either digitally or at retail.

nordique

That's just it - he is not giving you bits of info. He is passing on what he reads on message boards and filling in some speculation.

Honestly I find it a little distasteful that they guy is basically purposely misleading people without the technical knowledge or experience to know better.

What actual information has he shared with you? That the Wii-U will heavily rely on compute shaders? That's his speculation based on leaks that it supports compute shaders in some form paired with rumors of a weakish CPU. From those two things it's tempting to conclude that the idea is for compute shaders to make up the difference, sure. Does he actually know that is the case? No. Absolutely not.

You guys are asking him stuff like "will ports from PS4 be possible" and "will Samaritan or UE4 run on this?" Wtf. The guy has never even done console development! How the hell does he know? Lol.

Is that PS4 game going to use compute shaders to implement a tiled forward rendering model? Well if the Wii-U compute shader support is not that good a port would require an engine rewrite. Is that the case? I have no idea and neither does bg. The idea that he can answer questions like those is absolutely crazy. You might as well just throw darts at a dart board.

Edit: For people saying he has real information: what is it?

Can someone make a clear and concise list of information bgassassin has provided that wasn't just taken from a message board? And I mean specific Wii-U information, not general PC component information.

I too think it would be distasteful for someone to purposely mislead others

But I do not believe bg is even remotely doing that with purpose, and if anything, he has been trying to keep expectations in check. I recall in one of the early WUSTs (Wii U Spec Threads) from last year people were hyping the Wii U up to be more than it was tech wise and bg from back then was telling people to keep their expectations in check and lower than that, yet also quelling those who thought the system was simply a repackaged 360

You raise some valid criticisms, and bg would (and has) agreed with you on some of those points (for the record he has never been someone claiming to know everything...hence he started the WUSTs to encourage this type of discussion)

but some of these criticisms are overly-analytical. I understand your intentions are good, so people in general don't build false expectations, but when you phrase bg as "purposely misleading", that is simply taking it too far je pense...

His information may not be first hand nor direct via dev kit, but it has been obtained from people who do have such information...so that alone negates your suggestions he has "absolutely" no information at all, and you are being overly-critical about it

at the end of the day we are all speculating,

but unless you have been following the hundreds of posts he and others have been discussing regarding the specs, on Wii U, PS4, Durango, and where certain chips might be manufactured and piecing together information obtained from developers, people with access to kits, cross-confirmed by others including mods and verified devs, balanced opinions and trying to obtain everyone's POV (remember Arkam who was malliciously welcomed in the WUST threads? Only to have some merit to his claims?) to get an idea centred in reality (i.e. no outrageous, preposterous claims, of the Wii U having 4GB of RAM for instance - that would be purposely misleading) then that to me constitutes more knowledge about the system than the average forum dweller

plus, the guy is an assassin

Nintendo is in it's own game, and the specs point to it being a nice jump over the Wii. They'll likely sell it for profit for less than $300.

They probably feel pretty good about it, especially if they can launch with the two biggest third party games this year: Assassin's Creed III and COD BLOPS 2.

In a perfect world they will entice publishers to port the new IPs already released this gen to try to maximize profit. Stuff like Lollipop Chainsaw, Asura's Wrath, Sleeping Dogs etc, would be nice to see get second chances either digitally or at retail.

I also feel nothing towards this spec talk, all I wanted is proper games. They really didn't have to do much to detract from all this. Show some high budget Nintendo games, anything with their infamous art styles finally in HD after such a long wait and people would have gone crazy over it. Sadly, E3 basically boiled down to ,,nothing''.

I also feel nothing towards this spec talk, all I wanted is proper games. They really didn't have to do much to detract from all this. Show some high budget Nintendo games, anything with their infamous art styles finally in HD after such a long wait and people would have gone crazy over it. Sadly, E3 basically boiled down to ,,nothing''.
Man is E3 is like 3 months old lol. Talk about something new.

Man is E3 is like 3 months old lol. Talk about something new.

But Nintendo didn't give us anything new since then. (on a related note, time flies, holy shit)

Yeah...that turned out pretty well, didn't it ? Thursday is their last chance, either they have games or they don't, I don't believe in this NDA bullshit anymore. And I'm not talking just about Nintendo's games.

I don't even feel excitement for that conference. It's now their turn to fix this whole situation (or not).

antonz

Dont get why people are suddenly turning hostile to BG and other sources. The leak today is nothing new at all.

Its the same recycled stuff that Gaf has discussed for months. The information leaked isn't even complete as they have left off things and misspoke on others.

If people kept in mind that Nintendo lives in its own world far far away from SONY and Microsoft or Apple they would see that Wii U is a huge leap from what the Wii was and look forward to it.

but what most people do in this forum is compare it to current HD platforms and upcoming next generation platforms

I am not sure if that is unfair of them to do so, I mean is it reasonable to accept that Nintendo lives far far away from everyone else and should be treated differently?

This is what frustrates everyone. The best thing would be if Nintendo locked out 3rd Party devs and publishers from the Wii U that way people would fully understand the only real reason to buy a Nintendo product is the Nintendo Software. Nintendo knows this.

The only reason to care about WiiU is the Nintendo gems you know you will get in its lifetime. Thinking about what 3rd party games you will miss out on because Nintendo is not willing to sell it for $600 or lose Billions is only setting us up to be frustrated.

the only thing that pisses me off about Nintendo is when they hold software info back AKA Retro and Monolith Soft games missing from E3

I wanted to know if the GamePad could somehow stream Wii games as well.

Specs is useless just think Nintendo hardware as 1 generation behind if it helps with the headaches

D-e-f-

Banned
Dont get why people are suddenly turning hostile to BG and other sources. The leak today is nothing new at all.

Its the same recycled stuff that Gaf has discussed for months. The information leaked isn't even complete as they have left off things and misspoke on others.

Same ol' panic mode because we have nothing else to talk about.

Thursday can't come soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom