• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square-Enix Registers FinalFantasyXIII-3.com... [2 Year Schedule Note]

Arcblade

Banned
Why does Japan think that we want sequels to the game with the single worst cast of character to disgrace a JRPG since Beyond Beyond?

Corridor shooters don't lack for personality as bad as the FF13 cast.

Corridors don't lack for personality as bad as the FF13 cast.

Riposte

Arcblade said:
Why does Japan think that we want sequels to the game with the single worst cast of character to disgrace a JRPG since Beyond Beyond?

Are you trying to maximize your posts to gain full member status?

Reveirg

At this point, is there any chance FFXV is being developped by another team?

Is anyone familiar with S-E's developement teams structure? Do we know if everyone is busy?

-Nomura's team (KH, KH2, Advent Children) is on Versus XIII
-Toriyama's team (X-2, XIII) is on FFXIII-2 and MAYBE XIII-3 after.
-I believe there's an Osaka team (KH: BBS?) working on KH3D? What did they work on before?
-FFXI's team is still working on XIV, Minagawa being part of it too.
-Tabata's team (Crisis Core) is working on Type-0

Where's the remnants of the XII team? Where's Kawazu? Where's Ito? Do these two still have their own teams? Which team worked for the Tactics Ogre remake?

Who were responsible for Dissidia?

RaijinFY

Reveirg said:

Is anyone familiar with S-E's developement teams structure? Do we know if everyone is busy?

-Nomura's team is on Versus XIII
-Toriyama's is on FFXIII-2 and MAYBE XIII-3 after.
-I believe there's an Osaka team working on KH3D?

Where's the remnants of the XII team? Where's Kawazu? Where's Ito? Do these two still have their own teams?

Getting the boot maybe?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Reveirg said:

-Nomura's team is on Versus XIII
-Toriyama's is on FFXIII-2 and MAYBE XIII-3 after.
-I believe there's an Osaka team working on KH3D?

Where's the remnants of the XII team? Where's Kawazu? Where's Ito? Do these two still have their own teams?
I'd love to think Ito is on it since he hasn't done anything in a while, as far as I know. But it will probably be the XIII team again, for PS4/NextBox.

Arcblade

Banned
Anticitizen One said:
I thought FF 13 was phenomenal. I hope we get FF XIII-4

Phenomenal: relating to or being a phenomenon: as

(a) known through the senses rather than through thought or intuition

I can agree with this part.

But I have issue with your usage of "hope" in the latter part of your post.

When devs are talking about re-using assets to speed up development, I always figured they would be talking about taking bits and pieces from one game to use in the creation of a second game from a different series.

These dudes on the other hand, are using the "same assets" to prolong the same fucking series, one which they must know does not receive that much demand, not even in Japan.

Fucking Wada

Beth Cyra

Reveirg said:

-Nomura's team (KH, KH2, Advent Children) is on Versus XIII
-Toriyama's team (X-2, XIII) is on FFXIII-2 and MAYBE XIII-3 after.
-I believe there's an Osaka team (KH: BBS?) working on KH3D? What did they work on before?
-Tabata's team (Crisis Core) is working on Type-0

Where's the remnants of the XII team? Where's Kawazu? Where's Ito? Do these two still have their own teams? Which team worked for the Tactics Ogre remake?

Who were responsible for Dissidia?

The Osaka team also did the ReCoM remake to PS2 and yes they are the team developing 3D which is why alot of people who played BBS are exicted for it.

Dissidia had it's own team that did both Dissidia and 012 if I remember right. I could see them doing a Remaster for PS3 of the Dissidia games or working on 3DS or a Vita project.

Josh7289

Anticitizen One said:
I thought FF 13 was phenomenal. I hope we get FF XIII-4
The GAF hate for the game is so thick I can't even tell who's being sarcastic about it anymore, but if you're not, then I totally agree with you. It's my favorite Final Fantasy and as long as they keep the spirit of the first I would love to play more.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
RaijinFY said:
Huh? With 2.5m they won't break even... They need to sell at least 4-5m with each episode.

?
2,5 ml per title in a trilogy it's 7,5 ml in six years, against the 4-5 millions they're doing now from FFXII. Other benifits: less budget to develop, more brand's image. 4-5 I can't see that happening, maybe with the first entry... but with the two sequels you have to halve that (that's the amount I expect from XIII-2). I think they're aiming in creating a business similar to Bioware somehow. It works, why not trying.

Zanasea

immortal-joe said:
When devs are talking about re-using assets to speed up development, I always figured they would be talking about taking bits and pieces from one game to use in the creation of a second game from a different series.

These dudes on the other hand, are using the "same assets" to prolong the same fucking series, one which they must know does not receive that much demand, not even in Japan.

Fucking Wada
So let me get this straight: you actually think it's more acceptable for a studio to reuse assets from a game to make a completely different game, instead of a direct sequel which is expanding on its world and lore? And what does Wada have to do with this? Smh.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Perfo said:
?
2,5 ml per title in a trilogy it's 7,5 ml in six years, against the 4-5 millions they're doing now from FFXII. Other benifits: less budget to develop, more brand's image. 4-5 I can't see that happening, maybe with the first entry... but with the two sequels you have to halve that (that's the amount I expect from XIII-2). I think they're aiming in creating a business similar to Bioware somehow. It works, why not trying.

Errr, it's not like these FFXIII sequels are free to make. So they manage to maybe sell 7.5m copies total for three games, but it still costs a lot of money to make and market each title.

Narcosis

Arcblade said:

I take it you never played Star Ocean 3 and 4, or Enchanted Arms, or that console-tan RPG on the PS3, or hell, anything from Gust or Idea Factory?

Well FFXIII has the worst FF cast ever. Only Sahz was likable. It looks like I won't be playing any new FF for a while. I bet this game will somehow release before VS as well.

ymmv

Banned
I don't mind another XIII sequel. I enjoyed XIII (damn the haters), the 2nd game looks very promising (again, damn the haters) so why not another foray into that world?

The only thing SE now has to do is rename "vs XIII" to XV (it's such a big game, why not make it an official mainline entry), publish it in 2012/2013 and we can close the book on this console generation.

Beth Cyra

Nostalgia~4ever said:
they're milking the wrong game.

should of made FFVIII-2 and -3 instead

Lionheart
I've always wanted a game were you play as Ultimecia on her rise to what she is in VIII. Would be cool because it could be playing as a villain yet not because of how she is treated on the way up and the game could end right when Squall and comp walk in.

God I need to let that dream go.

Mengetsu

I feel this is just cautionary to do with domain names now a days due to stuff like this...

Activision Loses Another Call of Duty URL, This Time for Modern Warfare 4

Or as most have posted here I feel they may see this as a trilogy as they seem to be popular in the west and with so many characters and world this could be used to make more games in the series. Also it could be as someone said it could be a Versus XIII title rename to keep the hype out here for it since it takes place in the same universe but, that would be odd to me cause Versus XIII ain't multiplatform and people who don't know about much in the series would be confused as to why the "3rd" game in the series is a PS3 only game. But hey anything is possible with Square now a days right?

Zanasea said:
So let me get this straight: you actually think it's more acceptable for a studio to reuse assets from a game to make a completely different game, instead of a direct sequel which is expanding on its world and lore? And what does Wada have to do with this? Smh.

Should have been clearer - when I said bits and pieces I referring to a lighting model, physics engine..etc. Anything that can make the development of another game less costly and more efficient.

Basically I would have wanted them to take the engine they built in FFXIII and create something else with it; anything, but don't stretch out the same series and pretend you were asked to do so.

And as for Wada, he was the man in charge throughout the XIII's cluster-fuck development cycle. He overlooked the birth of their in-house engine to go forward with multi-platform development, and where did that get them???

Beth Cyra

immortal-joe said:
Should have been clearer - when I said bits and pieces I refereed to a lighting model, physics engine; anything that can make the development of another game less costly and more efficient.

Basically I would have wanted them to take the engine they built in FFXIII and create something else with it; anything, but don't stretch out the same series and pretend you were asked to do so.

And as for Wada, he was the man in charge throughout the XIII's cluster-fuck development cycle. He overlooked the birth of their in-house engine to go forward with multi-platform development, and where did that get them???
Wada was also the one in chage were they had multpile different games sell a million units across the two handheld platforms as well as the best selling Dragon Quest ever.

No company president doesn't make mistakes in the industry and the fact is the VS Team was moved over to help finish XIII so we know that Wada wasn't pleased with how things were turning out so he did put his foot down.

Verendus

Banned
Rahxephon91 said:
Man I really liked the cast of XIII. I thought it was the most well rounded cast Ive seen. Not most memorable or best though.
MQso8.gif

Beth Cyra

Verendus said:
What is the point of these kinda posts?

It's clear alot of people disagree, but this shit is stupid.

He isn't the only that liked the cast of XIII and outside of hope I would take them over the majortity of FF casts.

TruePrime said:
Wada was also the one in chage were they had multpile different games sell a million units across the two handheld platforms as well as the best selling Dragon Quest ever.

No company president doesn't make mistakes in the industry and the fact is the VS Team was moved over to help finish XIII so we know that Wada wasn't pleased with how things were turning out so he did put his foot down.

I'l give him that - shifting the teams around to focus on FXIII at the time was the right way to go, but I don't see much sense in stretching the series anymore.

How about shifting the teams towards Versus; focus on that console game right now. Meanwhile, you will have plenty of opportunities to gain more success from the portable market.

Beth Cyra

immortal-joe said:
I'l give him that - shifting the teams around to focus on FXIII at the time was the right way to go, but I don't see much sense in stretching the series anymore.

How about shifting the teams towards Versus; focus on that console game right now. Meanwhile, you will have plenty of opportunities to gain more success from the portable market.
We don't know whats going on with that. Thing is XIII-2 was announced so quickly and we knew they had a bunch of extra content so with a much reduced time frame for release and not needing an engine to be built it could be very well that it was best to have them go the XIII-2 route.

That said once the game is finished Wada might order exactly that kind of senario with them helping on VS, or maybe he won't. I have no idea we will have to wait to see how things go during the next year.

Verendus

Banned
TruePrime said:
What is the point of these kinda posts?

It's clear alot of people disagree, but this shit is stupid.

He isn't the only that liked the cast of XIII and outside of hope I would take them over the majortity of FF casts.
5xFIe.gif

Beth Cyra

Verendus said:
Are you going to post anything beyond dumb .gifs? Not to be a dick or anything but it's frustrating when someoone just says they like XIII and it's followed up by this kinda stuff.

It would be one thing if they said they were flat better and everyone who thinks so is wrong.

Verendus said:
Hey a non argument. I guess I should expect this from the person that stated FFXIII was a failure when it came to the money making busniess and then couldn't actually back up that argument.

TruePrime said:
We don't know whats going on with that. Thing is XIII-2 was announced so quickly and we knew they had a bunch of extra content so with a much reduced time frame for release and not needing an engine to be built it could be very well that it was best to have them go the XIII-2 route.

That said once the game is finished Wada might order exactly that kind of senario with them helping on VS, or maybe he won't. I have no idea we will have to wait to see how things go during the next year.

Maybe some investors were tired of the long dev cycles and wanted to see some return sooner rather than later.

I hate to bring this up, but in a business sense, they really should have just gone with a FFVII remake. Seriously, there was just no possible scenario where that would fail.

I remember Famitsu (or Dengeki) made this survey in Japan back in 07/08 where they asked readers who their favorite character was. Sitting right behind mario at #2 was fucking Cloud Strife - sums it up right there.

Anywho I'l l stop here cause I think this is a topic for another thread.

Honestly I just want Squeenix to start following a more efficient dev cycle that allows for one or two "Bushido Balde" or "Einhader" games for every "Final Fantasy" or "Dragon Quest".

Beth Cyra

immortal-joe said:
Maybe some investors were tired of the long dev cycles and wanted to see some return sooner rather than later.

I hate to bring this up, but in a business sense, they really should have just gone with a FFVII remake. Seriously, there was just no possible scenario where that would fail.

I remember Famitsu (or Dengeki) made this survey in Japan back in 07/08 where they asked readers who their favorite character was. Sitting right behind mario at #2 was fucking Cloud Strife - sums it up right there.

Anywho I'l l stop here cause I think this is a topic for another thread.

Honestly I just want Squeenix to start following a more efficient dev cycle that allows for one or two "Bushido Balde" or "Einhader" games for every "Final Fantasy" or "Dragon Quest".
People put way to much stock into the Seven remake idea.

The fact is that the vast majority of Remake has ever done as well or better then the game it was originally.

As it stands FF XII and XIII did between 4-5 million units and going down with each game.

So as it stands they aren't getting new buyers and while some may come in or even grab old players you still have all those people who played it and wouldn't want to buy it again.

Not to mention FF VII was outdone by X if I remember right so it's not even number 1 and can be beaten so they are better off going with new products and trying to do better then VII then a VII remake which would almost assuredly do worse then the original.

Verendus

Banned
Rahxephon91 said:
Hey a non argument. I guess I should expect this from the person that stated FFXIII was a failure when it came to the money making busniess and then couldn't actually back up that argument.
Maybe we should take you back to school and teach you how to comprehend the written word. Shall we define the difference between poorly (relative to its previous entries if I remember the argument you're referring to) and failure? Maybe also teach you context so you actually understand what you read.

Seriously, let's be blunt here. If you like the cast, then why does it seemingly anger you so much if people respond in such a manner? You should own up to your taste and not take every little jab in jest as a personal attack. That's a sign that you're not comfortable about your own taste, bad as it is. Not very healthy.

FFXIII has a shitty cast which certainly isn't well-rounded. At least not by any respectable measure. You can say you like it, but let's not take the piss here. They're one note characters each given a specific role. They're all involved, but that doesn't make them well-rounded. Or maybe, we'll have to explain that concept to you also. You shouldn't be surprised with someone having an incredulous reaction to such an inane comment.

If anything, you probably need a timeout. Reading your posts when defending this game always makes it seem like you're full of rage and just waiting to explode on your monitor or something. Lack of tact, a self-admitted asshole (can see the appeal of this when behind a monitor screen), always seething, it's not healthy. Just saying.

Toth

If FF13-2 is a quality title, fixes the issues many players had with 13, and is an overall satisfying product (say 90+ metacritic), I am sure it will sell 3 million WW.

If SE is truly committed to making a 13-3, they must have faith that the title will do just that. We will find out soon enough either way.

Verendus said:
Maybe we should take you back to school and teach you how to comprehend the written word. Shall we define the difference between poorly (relative to its previous entries if I remember the argument you're referring to) and failure? Maybe also teach you context so you actually understand what you read.

Seriously, let's be blunt here. If you like the cast, then why does it seemingly anger
The thing about your little argument is that your post here has nothing to with anything. When anyone gave an actual reason or explanation that the it wasn't unsuccessful you simply ignored it. No I gave you reasons as to why even if it sold less then x it wasn't a failure and that saying it was poor in relation to others wasn't correct. You simply ignored it. You were wrong then.

Fine I don't care if you don't like the game, but that was your soul reason to say it was unsuccessful. When faced with an actual argument you ran and hide.

My taste aren't bad and it's annoying to be judged because I happen to have a diffrent opinion on one subject. I don't do that to other posters here so it annoys me.

But even here instead of actually trying to have an argument you just attempt to be an asshole and push your opinion.

The characters are fine.What respectable messasure? How about video games the thing XIII is. So compared to it's peers it is. The characters are all developed and each of their possibly one note presonas seen and explored. They all have development and u learn everything about each character. That is pretty much not true for most games where characters no matter how shallow aren't even developed enough to be one note. Fine you don't like them, dosent change what I said. Nor do you say anything to disprove it.

Well rounded? Fine a poor choice of words on my part. But even if is(probably is) this post of yours dosent engage or say anything other then stating your opinion. That's the annoying part. You tag quote without attempting explanation. It's annoying and pissess me off. I wouldn't be driven to be an asshole myself if you simply responded "yo I disagree so and so and maybe here's why". Contempt only breeds more contempt. I sound angry? Sure. What do you come off as then? A pompous asshole. Fine, I come off as a mad dog, I at least I admit it and when push comes to shove I wil back up my opinion. So obviously I have no shame in it.

If you compare the characters to XII a game where half the cast is bland an undeveloped and even the likable ones are one note with little development. Blathier, he's cool sure, but outside of that he is stagnet for the most part and more one note then anyone in XIII. Hope the most annoying character is typical anime scared guy. We find out why he is way and get his motives. Then the character has his arc and changes and it makes sense. He has actual development. All the characters do. To say they are stereotypical is beyond the point. All FF characters have one dimension to them, most lack development though.

Whatever I have nothing more to say to you.

0 HP

Rahxephon91 said:
compared to it's peers it is. The characters are all developed and each of their possibly one note presonas seen and explored. They all have development and u learn everything about each character. That is pretty much not true for most games where characters no matter how shallow aren't even developed enough to be one note.
what previous FF games had less developed (main) characters? it seems like you're arguing in favor of the cast by just bringing up the fact that they all get enough screen time to make themselves known to the player. i personally saw that as a flaw, the characters are too flat and predictable (and voiced too poorly) to justify being seen so much. you could pretty much pick up on any of these characters by watching a couple youtube videos and yet the game feels it necessary to drum their shallow personalities on you for ~35 hours.

Elginer

Nostalgia~4ever said:
they're milking the wrong game.

should of made FFVIII-2 and -3 instead

Lionheart

This makes me cry. FFVIII is my fav but noooo I can't even get a damn remake. :/

Ugh. Far and away the worst Final Fantasy world in the past two decades and there's the chance we're going to revisit it again? blah

And the only decent character in FFXIII was Sazh. And that was only when he wasn't doing his stupid "goofy black guy" moments that really didn't fit the mood of the game nor his character.

Lightning was one dimensional and had her entire character development shoved into one scene, Hope was promising at first but all that "Operation Nora" junk ruined him, Vanille was annoying, Fang was one dimensional, and Snow was one dimensional and annoying. And all of the other characters were so underdeveloped it wasn't even funny.

jackdoe

TruePrime said:
I don't know. Lightning felt like Squall with breasts; same broody attitude refusing to let people come close because of a past event, putting down people with any hope and optimism, and then making an unbelievable 180 degree attitude transition sometime during the game.

Green Mamba said:
And the only decent character in FFXIII was Sazh. And that was only when he wasn't doing his stupid "goofy black guy" moments that really didn't fit the mood of the game nor his character.
Sazh was by far the most likeable character in the game.

Top Bottom