• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One debuts with just 1,344 units sold in Japan

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Sounds like the kinda guy who cslls Souls a western RPG because it's a medieval fantasy.
Not really man i just think souls is an overated game with an awful awful fanbase.

Now lets talk witcher 3 vs final fantasy 15

Breakage

The thing is, unlike previous Xboxes, the Xbox One still doesn't have a bunch of exclusive cult Japanese games. There is no Ninja Gaiden Black, Otogi, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon etc.

I’m surprised this thread is still going. Xbox has NEVER sold well in Japan, even when they were investing in Japanese devs back in the 360 era.

I mean, it’s been a problem since the original Xbox. It’s probably even cultural to some degree as the Japanese tend to favor Japanese products. They do this not because they dislike American products but because their culture tends to think of Japanese companies (which includes Sony and Nintendo) as producing the best products. There is a fairly long history of popular press articles and business research about this.

rokkerkory

The thing is, unlike previous Xboxes, the Xbox One still doesn't have a bunch of exclusive cult Japanese games. There is no Ninja Gaiden Black, Otogi, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon etc.

Yeah only wishes more folks bought those games. It would have helped to keep them coming

Bastables

I’m surprised this thread is still going. Xbox has NEVER sold well in Japan, even when they were investing in Japanese devs back in the 360 era.

I mean, it’s been a problem since the original Xbox. It’s probably even cultural to some degree as the Japanese tend to favor Japanese products. They do this not because they dislike American products but because their culture tends to think of Japanese companies (which includes Sony and Nintendo) as producing the best products. There is a fairly long history of popular press articles and business research about this.
This all seems to run counter to the popularity of KFC, Apple products, Windows OS, google, yahoo. It runs counter to how in Japanese drama’s a short hand for depicting a wealthy family is having possession of foreign cars such as BMW or Mercedes.

It also would mean that the majority of the world tends to favour Japanese products for “cultural reasons” as Xbox is pretty much selling less than Sony and Nintendo consoles. Or maybe something else is going on?

This all seems to run counter to the popularity of KFC, Apple products, Windows OS, google, yahoo. It runs counter to how in Japanese drama’s a short hand for depicting a wealthy family is having possession of foreign cars such as BMW or Mercedes.

It also would mean that the majority of the world tends to favour Japanese products for “cultural reasons” as Xbox is pretty much selling less than Sony and Nintendo consoles. Or maybe something else is going on?

I’m not saying some brands can’t overcome cultural bias, especially high quality brands. And, KFC had to reposition itself in many Asian markets to be successful.

This has been documented since at least the 1980’s. Check out this New York Times article from 1986.
http://www.nytimes.com/1986/04/20/weekinreview/made-in-the-usa-but-avoided-in-japan.html

Made in the U.S.A, but avoided in Japan.

TOKYO— THERE is little doubt, a Japanese pediatrician told two Americans last week, that Japan's techniques for vaccinating infants are superior to those used in the United States. At some length and unsolicited, he went on to assert that Japanese babies are inoculated at a more sensible age and that the serum used here produces one-fifth the incidence of fever associated with the American variety.

The episode, while perhaps minor, demonstrated a phenomenon any American in Tokyo encounters as a routine. There is an almost unassailable conviction among many Japanese that their products, methods and very outlook are better than almost anything the United States can offer. Not all foreign products are dismissed cavalierly. American companies dominate the razor-blade, floor-wax and soft-drink markets, to name a few.

Still, the notion that ''Made in U.S.A.'' is a label of inferiority has wormed its way into the collective Japanese psyche. Americans do not pay enough attention to detail, Japanese complain; their clothing falls apart, their cars sound tinny and their appliances waste energy. It is one reason American exporters have a hard time selling their wares. It also helps explain the skepticism that arose here last week after Prime Minister Yasuhiro Nakasone went to the United States and assured President Reagan that Japan would mend its economic ways.

yclqeisanvtvquqb9czd.jpg

2014 all over again.

F40

Neo Member
As smelly as it is in here. I tell you gaf just ain't what it use to be. Not long ago this thread would have been 20 or more page shit fest. Hell I wouldn't doubt one the "celebrity moderators" of the past would not have made it a sticky.

Top Bottom