• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have microtransactions just been removed from SW Battlefront 2? No, I’m serious...

wolgoen

ITS OFFICIAL...

Ingame purchasing has been removed. For now...

Announcement from DICE:
https://mobile.twitter.com/eastarwars/status/931332890717143040
(Thanks digoutyoursoul)

Full article here:

https://www.ea.com/games/starwars/b...&utm_medium=social&cid=42029&ts=1510882862455

Earlier...

*** Speculation prior to announcement ***

It seems the ingame currency for Star Wars Battlefront 2 - Crystals - which can be bought with real world money has been removed from all purchasing outlets such as Origin, Amazon and PSN etc.

The games progression system looks to be changing.

Official announcement to come from EA very soon.

* Update: Many people now reporting that Crystal purchasing has now dissappeared or been removed leaving behind an error when trying to purchase from PSN and XBL. Very interesting last minute change upon a games launch.

Look forward to hearing official information from EA but if true, I am pleasantly surprised how the reaction of the community was heard and respect to EA for actually responding, to what extent remains to be seen.

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBa...u_can_no_longer_purchase_crystals_megathread/

https://www.reddit.com/r/BattlefrontTWO/comments/7dgors/all_gamechangers_are_now_tweeting_holy_shit/

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/7dgwt8/hopefully_true_can_anyone_else_confirm/

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/7dgwk5/big_news_if_true_of_course/

*** Earlier this evening ***

Updating as news comes in.

SWBF reddit is updating like crazy right now with links to the EA affiliated Game Changers who have updated their twitter accounts with cryptic messages about an imminent EA announcement. Speculation and some people uploading screens shows the in game currency (crystals) have been been removed.

I sincerely apologise for making this thread if this turns out to all be fake on the eve of the game release but it’s big news if true.

Hold onto your butts!

LurkingFear

EA CEO Andrew Wilson stands resolute...

KG20UWL.gif

Catphish

If that's true, and they remove all P2W lootbox nonsense, I will buy the game tonight.

Without hesitation.

Shifty

Well that would certainly flip the narrative and get EA a lot of good PR.

I'm expecting more iterative changes though, something like crystals being removed as an intermediary currency and replaced with real money purchases in an attempt to deobfuscate it.

if this is true, I'm pretty sure this is due to Disney telling EA to fix it. I don't think Disney wants to be associated with influencing minors to gambling in its IPs.

Wait wut? Really? I wonder if Disney got on the phone with EA and told them to stop ruining the Star Wars name. I'll wait till the official announcement though. But this is HUGE if true.

wipeout364

It's difficult if they remove them I have to consider what is the appropriate response:

1) Do I buy the game to support them doing the right thing
2) Do I wait for a sale to semi reward them for fixing it thereby still giving them some pain
3) Do I never buy the game as it was such a reprehensible move they deserve to see some job losses and financial pain?

DarkestHour

Banned
It's difficult if they remove them I have to consider what is the appropriate response:

1) Do I buy the game to support them doing the right thing
2) Do I wait for a sale to semi reward them for fixing it thereby still giving them some pain
3) Do I never buy the game as it was such a reprehensible move they deserve to see some job losses and financial pain?

Option 3 is the only way they will learn.

Hawk269

They will probably annouce that they are removing them now and some time later they will return once protest silences.

This. They will re-introduce it at some point, perhaps with reduced cost to the end users. No way they remove it completely and it never returns. Or there is a chance that they felt this has tarnished it so much and having such a massive license that don't want to damage the brand or themselves and then there is Sony which has the marketing rights as well, I am sure they don't like being associated with the brand having all this negative news stories.

Catphish

And rhen they will readd the P2W elements tomorrow ;D
I'm not doing anything until I know what their plan is.

But if they were to pull some bait & switch chicanery, which I doubt they will, if you think this was a shitstorm, that would be a full-on goddamn shitnado.

dankir

Uhhh you guys realize that if Disney says it's not happy with how this is turning out... you listen.

Good on EA trying to make things right though.

If that's true, and they remove all P2W lootbox nonsense, I will buy the game tonight.

Without hesitation.

You really think they'll give up that whale money this easily?

All your buying it will prove, to them, is that lip service is enough to get away with anything. In the meantime, they're gathering their team together to figure out how to do it again but in a less noticeable or more easily spinnable way.

They WILL try to get that lootbox money again. Absolutely guaranteed.

Catphish

If they say it's going away, permanently, and I buy it, and they bring it back on the sneak?

I will never buy another EA product again. Ever.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
EA can't do this then people will realize that the core gameplay flat out sucks

MADGAME

So crystal purchases will come back at a later date per the tweet.

Think I'm going to stick with the no-purchase decision. It stings because Star Wars is a franchise I care about but have to take a stand.

Thank you to everyone in our community for being the passionate fans that you are.

Our goal has always been to create the best possible game for all of you – devoted Star Wars fans and game players alike. We've also had an ongoing commitment to constantly listen, tune and evolve the experience as it grows. You've seen this with both the major adjustments, and polish, we have made over the past several weeks.

But as we approach the worldwide launch, it's clear that many of you feel there are still challenges in the design. We've heard the concerns about potentially giving players unfair advantages. And we've heard that this is overshadowing an otherwise great game. This was never our intention. Sorry we didn't get this right.

We hear you loud and clear, so we're turning off all in-game purchases. We will now spend more time listening, adjusting, balancing and tuning. This means that the option to purchase crystals in the game is now offline, and all progression will be earned through gameplay. The ability to purchase crystals in-game will become available at a later date, only after we've made changes to the game. We'll share more details as we work through this.

We have created a game that is built on your input, and it will continue to evolve and grow. Star Wars Battlefront II is three times the size of the previous game, bringing to life a brand new Star Wars story, space battles, epic new multiplayer experiences across all three Star Wars eras, with more free content to come. We want you to enjoy it, so please keep your thoughts coming. And we will keep you updated on our progress.

My translation: "We're turning it off for now so buy the game. We'll be re-implementing pay to win somehow but we're not telling you how"

It's gonna come back though. Hopefully as cosmetics like people are saying, especially since it seems like customizing appearances isn't in yet

"We hear you loud and clear, so we're turning off all in-game purchases."

"The ability to purchase crystals in-game will become available at a later date"

In summary: we're going to wait for all you whiny son of a bitches to buy the game for $60 and then we'll bring back all the scummy shit a month later.

"We hear you loud and clear, so we're turning off all in-game purchases."

"The ability to purchase crystals in-game will become available at a later date"

HAHAHAHA

don't celebrate people. It'll come back once everyone forgets about this disaster and all the mainstream media stops reporting on it.

autoduelist

You really think they'll give up that whale money this easily?

All your buying it will prove, to them, is that lip service is enough to get away with anything. In the meantime, they're gathering their team together to figure out how to do it again but in a less noticeable or more easily spinnable way.

They WILL try to get that lootbox money again. Absolutely guaranteed.

Man, some people have some -severe- hate going into this.

It looks like they're responding. It's worth giving them the benefit of the doubt.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
HAHAHAHA

don't celebrate people. It'll come back once everyone forgets about this disaster and all the mainstream media stops reporting on it.

Nope dont anyone celebrate them listening to the outcry of the biggest thing everyone was complaining about. Hating and being bitter is much more fun

EDarkness

Read the fine print, guys. Microtransactions may be coming back in the future. They're just "turned off right now". Don't give these guys your money.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Don’t be stupid and fall for this guys — EA are desperately trying to save their stock, their reputation, and their profits. This is actually very manipulative. This is all, ONLY to save face and get the negative publicity off their backs TEMPORARILY to give them time to scramble and put them back in.

That little bit about “We will reinstate sales of crystals at a later date” is BY FAR the most important part of this statement.

And it will NOT be cosmetics, the Star Wars liscense won’t allow it — remember that everything needs to be run through Lucasarts for Star Wars “authenticity”, and they’re very protective of their IP — so you’re not going to see new suits for Darth Vader, Yoda, or Luke that you can buy.

I would strongly recommend to not reward them with buying the game because the Microtransactions WILL come back.

Top Bottom