• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Battleground '17 |OT| A Canadian, Bulgarian, and Maharajah walk into a bar...

Shauni

Haven't watched WWE in years, should I tune in?

Also, Jinder Mahal is champ? Didn't he used to be a jobber?

Yes to both.

This is all leading up to Super 'Murica Cena defeating that Dirty Foreigner Champion Jinder (And probably Owens too) at SummerSlam, and nothing could make me want to watch the WWE less than that.

Nah, you see they'll set it up that way, but then Jinder is going to throw a surprise upset at SummerSlam and beat Cena, maybe even clean to be a double shocker, and probably going to 'injury' him in a 'brutal' rematch at, maybe, Survivor Series, and Cena will be 'out' until his triumph return to win the Rumble, go on to WrestleMania, and win his 'record-shattering' 17th World Title at the main event on the Grandest Stage of Them All for his mediocre retirement run where he'll keep the belt until the next Mania when he lose to [insert whoever here] in a retirement match, and then in 2020 be the big Hall of Fame inductee. And then fight Hulk Hogan at that Wrestlemania, for reasons.

Hasney

Probably one of the worst cards in recent memory. Woof.

Fashion Police skit, tag match and AJ/Owens could be fun. The rest don't even have potential.

Shauni

Both those matches are not happening at wrestlemania.

I guarantee you at least one will, and I wouldn't put it past them doing both. No way they are going to have Cena break the record anywhere else but Mania, though Jinder may drop the belt before then, but the foreigner vs American Hero angle is one that, unfortunately, plays well to the wrestling crowd, so I could see them braving it.

Lesnar vs Reigns for the title is happening. I mean, come on, they aren't going to do it at SummerSlam, at least not giving Reigns the win. They've had Reigns retire The Undertaker at Mania, the only thing left is for him to become a World (Universe!?) champion there. They faltered on it last time, but I don't see them doing it again.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
Punjabi prison is going to be the worst gimmick match this side of the Ambrose Asylum.

It's crazy how the US title is basically the main event scene on SD. It's literally the only belt that their stars (Cena, AJ, KO) are after on that show.

Lothars

Lesnar vs Reigns for the title is happening. I mean, come on, they aren't going to do it at SummerSlam, at least not giving Reigns the win. They've had Reigns retire The Undertaker at Mania, the only thing left is for him to become a World (Universe!?) champion there. They faltered on it last time, but I don't see them doing it again.
I agree it will be terrible but I still see them doing it.

Tagyhag

Oh my god Randy looks so fucking stupid in that picture.

I keep denying #5years, but every single month I inch closer and closer to believing it.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I like NJPW, but wish it had English commentary

They've got commentary for the G1 going on now, and most of their big events. They are trying to branch out into America so I assume the number of English broadcasts on NJPW World will only increase.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I thought this card was so uninteresting that it didn't have an OT, so I was going to make one with as much effort as WWE put into booking this shit. Sadly I found this thread, but I'm going to post it anyways.

mdcBHRH.png

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Should have gone with "Battle Of Bulge Area"

Brinbe

Gonna be in attendance at this shit show.

Tix were super cheap, in Philly no less, which tells you all you need to know about how little people care about this current product.

Gonna prob bounce after Styles/Owens.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The only compelling thing on here is Breezango's angle.
#StateoftheWWE2017
I don't think that's compelling either. This is the worst PPV in years in terms of shit anyone cares about. The idea of watching this over GOT is legit laughable.

atomsk

Party Pooper
So there are some airport photos of
Great Khali
from about 9 hours ago on his instagram.

So uh...

Welp

Sinatar

Oh really? What's the map? I mean, no way it happens with no real competition in the business right now, but I'm curious

Anth0ny can give you the full breakdown but it basically boils down to:

1. Continuing to book terrible events around performers nobody wants to watch (ie Roman, Mahal, etc), which continues to drive their plummeting ratings down the toilet.

2. Continuing to treat their talent like shit, not giving people proper TV time and generally booking them like crap, this drives their talent off to ever growing indy scene and New Japan.

3. Continuing to book part timers over their actual consistent talent, this is a fools game because you build already establish stars, fail to create new stars, and all these part timers are old and are going to be leaving soon. See Brock Lesnar ending his WWE career after WM next year for example.

4. All this leads to their ratings being lower then ever come 2019 when it's time to renew their TV deal. The best they can get is a deal with significantly less money then they are currently pulling from TV (their largest income source ATM) which begins the gradual decline and end of WWE.

Musolf815

Punjabi prison is going to be the worst gimmick match this side of the Ambrose Asylum.

It's crazy how the US title is basically the main event scene on SD. It's literally the only belt that their stars (Cena, AJ, KO) are after on that show.

Smackdown's structure feels so messed up with the jobber world champ in the midcard and the US title with the main eventers. I wouldn't be so critical of this Jinder run if they gave him the US title instead of ruining their main event scene.

...the only thing left is for him to become a World (Universe!?) champion there. They faltered on it last time, but I don't see them doing it again.

He took the title of HHH at 32.

I can see it being Cena vs Reigns. The whole free agent thing has to lead to that match at some point and it's easily a Mania main event.

The rumours of Brock going back to UFC after 34 leads me to think he'll get out against another part timer to get written out (possibly Angle?) rather than keeping him in the title hunt.

Shauni

Anth0ny can give you the full breakdown but it basically boils down to:

1. Continuing to book terrible events around performers nobody wants to watch (ie Roman, Mahal, etc), which continues to drive their plummeting ratings down the toilet.

2. Continuing to treat their talent like shit, not giving people proper TV time and generally booking them like crap, this drives their talent off to ever growing indy scene and New Japan.

3. Continuing to book part timers over their actual consistent talent, this is a fools game because you build already establish stars, fail to create new stars, and all these part timers are old and are going to be leaving soon. See Brock Lesnar ending his WWE career after WM next year for example.

4. All this leads to their ratings being lower then ever come 2019 when it's time to renew their TV deal. The best they can get is a deal with significantly less money then they are currently pulling from TV (their largest income source ATM) which begins the gradual decline and end of WWE.

Interesting idea, can't really see it without any real alternative or competition unless NPJW takes hold here over the next few years, but I find that doubtful.

He took the title of HHH at 32.

I can see it being Cena vs Reigns. The whole free agent thing has to lead to that match at some point and it's easily a Mania main event.

The rumours of Brock going back to UFC after 34 leads me to think he'll get out against another part timer to get written out (possibly Angle?) rather than keeping him in the title hunt.

Oh shit, you know what, I totally forgot about that. But even still, I think it's what they want to do. He retired Taker at Mania, and it's the next step really to topple Brock, who they've built up as nearly unbeatable. If Brock is going back to UFC after 34, I would actually say that leads more to Reigns vs Brock, because they may be the final time they get to use Brock if he goes back full-time to MMA. They've built him up way too much to just write him off to a part-timer. I mean, maybe Angle due to their history, but I don't think Angle is in any real shape to wrestle again. But then again, Angle sort of does a lot of stuff that would kill most other people.

Eh, I'm still saying Reigns vs Brock is a lock for Mania. They may do it at SummerSlam too, but they'll be some shenanigans to the finish, and it'll be the 'rematch of the ages' at 34.

Sinatar

Who's excited for the new highly scripted post PPV Talking Smack starring WWE Legend Jerry Lawler?

Man, what are the PPV numbers for this like given that it's on the WWE Network?

Even though PPV is an option, and some people pay for it, and it is an extra source of income for the company, WWE made fun of people that watch their stuff on PPV live on air on RAW for a few weeks. They should applaud these people, not belittle them.

El-Suave

Why do they always have the "outside" radio hosts shilling their network according to the script. You could at least keep up the appearance of them being independent and not corporate.

Sinatar

With them breaking up every tag team (and if they break up Breezango I'm going to Connecticut to burn their shit down) how much you want to bet the big Surivivor Series tag match will be all the broken up teams facing off against each other.

Why do they always have the "outside" radio hosts shilling their network according to the script. You could at least keep up the appearance of them being independent and not corporate.

Because everything has to follow the exact word of an insane old man along with his advising team of racists and 100 of Hollywood's least talented writers.

Japanese crowds are so much better than American crowds. They never attempt to get themselves over and are always into the matches.

Top Bottom