• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you own a movie and it's on netflix, where do you watch it?

Shauni

I've ripped every Blu-Ray I have, loaded them all into Plex, and can watch them wherever I want on whatever I want, including when I'm away from home if the connection is decent.

Once you get over the initial effort hurdle of ripping disks, it's by far the best way to enjoy your movies.

Don't you always have to have your computer running Plex to do that, though?

Caayn

I've just canceled my Netflix subscription. Not enough content where I live and discs still provide better, and more consistent, quality plus they don't rely on an external service to work.

ascii42

Don't remember the last time I actually streamed a movie from Netflix. Usually just use it for streaming shows. Their disc selection is much better than streaming for movies, so I usually just restart my disc subscription if I have a bunch of movies I want to see.

Now, with movies I own on DVD, it would probably make sense to see if Netflix has those available for streaming, since as long as Netflix has them in HD, it'd be better than watching the DVD. But about the only DVDs I pull out from time to time are the LotR extendeds.

Xe4

Banned
Netflix. I avoid actually using my blu ray collection whenever there's another legal way to watch. It's strange, I know.

I'm always for Bluray whenever possible, because the slight 5 second "inconvenience" of putting a disc on is still better than having the picture quality drop in the middle of a movie. Always a great experience when the pixel quality drops in the middle of a dramatic scene, ugh.

Aske

I'm always for Bluray whenever possible, because the slight 5 second "inconvenience" of putting a disc on is still better than having the picture quality drop in the middle of a movie. Always a great experience when the pixel quality drops in the middle of a dramatic scene, ugh.

This doesn't happen to me when I watch Netflix, but I'll still always choose to watch the Blu-ray if I have it. The quality gap is even more pronounced now that the only discs I'm buying are 4K. But I only buy movies on disc if I know I'll want to see them several times, so of course I'll inconvenience myself a little for a superior experience, because these are movies I really care about.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Always Blu-ray. When I'm watching Netflix I wish I had Blu-ray. I was watching F Is For Family season 2 this week and watching the backgrounds update at like 2fps was driving me up the wall.

Depends on where and why I'm watching it.

If I'm sitting down on my couch intent on giving it my full attention, blu-ray.

If I'm multi-tasking... Netflix. I.E. Netflix on my Kindle while I'm doing dishes/cooking/cleaning up a room. Or Netflix through my browser if I'm grinding/farming in a game like an MMO.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
If I do buy a film these days its almost always something I want to physically own in my collection. I don't just buy any random films as there is no need with obvious streaming services like Netflix, Amazon, etc. but I love collecting Criterion Collection movies for example. I want to own films that actually benefit from Blu Ray and the kind of quality that only comes through physical copies and can't be matched by Netflix and other services.

I can't imagine watching Planet Earth on anything but a physical copy on a high end TV. Its amazing looking.

Nivert

Netflix. I don't remember the last time I used a disc for any form of media; movies, music, games, it's been years.

Joe T.

I use whatever gives me the best quality, which is why I'm not the biggest fan of streaming services. If it's a choice between Blu-Ray and Netflix I'll always choose the former.

I have HBO.
I own every season of Game of Thrones Blueray.

I still pirate the episodes and watch them on my computer every week. Have the whole show pirated in whatever 1080p rip I got at that time.

Convenience trumps everything. No stream lag or delays if I want to skip/rewind, no standing up to put something in a BRplayer. I simply point and click and am immediately gratified.

I do this with every show/movie I buy. I never even remove the plastic coating or open them at all. Only buy them to support them. Pirate to watch.

Helps that I have great monitors and bad ass surround sound for my computer.

Jzero

Obviously on Blu-ray, i'm not just going to waste my money just to end up watching it on Netflix

I don't think I'll ever buy a physical movie again in my life. Just netflix or rent from the play store or one of the other services built into my tv.

sfedai0

Banned
I buy like 1 BD a year so Netflix for sure. When I feel like bedazzling my eyes for a rewwatch, I'll use the old physical media format,

All my bluray are in a box in the garage waiting to be sold for chump change. There's just no damn point anymore. Yeah, image banding is still an occasional annoyance, but aside from that streaming is pretty great now.

I watch my own copy (be it disc itself or my own made digital copy). Not a fan of streaming services, even if the video doesn't stutter the quality is not 100% what it should/could be.

jb1234

It depends. If I have a DVD of the movie, I'd rather watch it on Netflix. If I have the blu-ray, I'll stick with that.

(I have far more DVDs than blu-rays still.)

3N16MA

Banned
Blu-Ray. The films I buy on Blu-Ray are viewed plenty of times and I simply skip those films if they appear on Netflix.

CREMSteve

Getting up, find in the disc, putting it in, waiting for it to load, skip past or forced to watch FBI warnings, finally get to the main disc menu, click that and load into the movie.

It's fucking painful and definitely takes more than five seconds.

Netflix experience can't be beat, though I don't deal with drops in quality midway like you're describing, I agree that would sour the experience for sure.

Top Bottom