• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Woman dies after male gym employee refuses to enter ladies locker room

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoe

Outside of drowning, CPR has a ridiculously low chance of saving someone.. but it was still idiotic to not do it.

Unless the training has changed since I've done it, you're not taught to administer CPR when the person still has a pulse.

It is weird. Some people get strict rules stuck in their head and then don't know when to rationally override those rules when it is appropriate to do so.

I misunderstood the thread title COMPLETELY.

I thought a woman was trying to get a man to go into the ladies locker room, and when he refused, she got so upset she passed out and died of a heart attack or an aneurism.

This is how I interpreted the thread title as well and prepared for a morbid laugh. But no, this is just stupid and sad.

Sounds like he didn't believe her or just didn't care or else he would have at least called the cops. Doubt this is completely really about not wanting to go into the women's locker room though it could play a part.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
wait, was this guy even a medic or trained in CPR?
if not, why was it so important he be the one to help her?

though taking so long to call 911 is bad enough...

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
To the people saying the ladies should have called 911: A lot of gyms don't allow you to take camera phones into the locker room, or even on premises sometimes. Wouldn't be surprised if that was the case here, maybe everyone just had a mp3 player on them and phones were in the car.

But yeah, seems like a lot of people were lacking some critical thinking skills here. The guy should have been smart enough to know when to take the situation into his own hands. It's a personality thing, some people just don't know when and when not to break the rules. This was a time where you definitely should have broken the rules.

Pretty sure you sign a waiver when you join a gym that absolves them of any responsibility in case of injury or death.

Dude probably didn't want to lose his job in case he ran in there, and people freaked out. Sure, in hindsight that's just silly but I'm just saying it's what probably went through his mind.

Until an autopsy is complete I don't think speculating about what his action or inaction *might* have done is appropriate.

To the people saying the ladies should have called 911: A lot of gyms don't allow you to take camera phones into the locker room, or even on premises sometimes. Wouldn't be surprised if that was the case here, maybe everyone just had a mp3 player on them and phones were in the car.

But yeah, seems like a lot of people were lacking some critical thinking skills here. The guy should have been smart enough to know when to take the situation into his own hands. It's a personality thing, some people just don't know when and when not to break the rules. This was a time where you definitely should have broken the rules.

That's not the case w/ Blink. They don't do that kinda check. Completely agreed about knowing when to bend and when to break the rules. Especially if a life is in danger. But how many times have we read a story about an employee doing the right thing in an emergency and getting shit canned because it "violated" company policy...

Mondriaan

It's a little hard to believe that he was the first one to call 911. Is it typical that personnel are on the scene minutes after a call is made?

That said, he should have made the 911 call immediately even if company policy stated that he wasn't allowed to leave his desk unattended.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Ridiculous. Completely and utterly ridiculous.

Reminds me of those stories we get once in a while where a man is afraid to help a lost child because he is afraid people are going to think he is a pedophile.

Id say blame this nanny society we have become.

Bachner0000

Neo Member
What do you think this front desk employee could have done for someone who died minutes after the fall? Any number of people could have called 911.

He might has froze up... idk. You aren't really trained for this for this job and a lot of things rolling around your head in this scenario.

freaking weird no1 called 911 earlier... idk how i feel.

It's a little hard to believe that he was the first one to call 911. Is it typical that personnel are on the scene minutes after a call is made?

That said, he should have made the 911 call immediately even if company policy stated that he wasn't allowed to leave his desk unattended.

I'm not sure where you live, but in most cities ambulances only take a few minutes to arrive, anywhere from 4-10 minutes. At least in Canada, I don't know about the US (but I assume it's the same).

It's the calmly looking at his computer screen that bothers me.

He was obviously afraid of entering the women's room, but man, common sense did not prevail here, and it should have.

Any reason no one else called 9-1-1? If no one else did, I get the impression that people thought she just fainted? Did the ladies react hysterically or were they more calmly confused?

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Without any proper medical training what are you going to do? He should have immediately called 911 though.

Into

Its weird to me that in the age where people live their lives through smartphones, that nobody in those 5 minutes had one? I carry mine to the gym, either in my pocket or in my locker?

Obviously the guy should have phoned 911 immediately, but if someone fails to act, it is your job to act, not wait around. He could have frozen up, not believed them or quite frankly just did not know what to do, it happens in these situations.

Perhaps the real story is that he did not dare enter the ladies locker room, regardless of who had a phone or what the details are.

Zoe

All gyms say that. Everybody ignores that.

Cyan

Banned
Men are just scared that the female victim may twist the story in another direction. Not saying it always happens (or even happens frequently), but men are just terrified at that possibility.

That's ridiculous, and wouldn't be a good excuse even if that was his worry.

More likely is it was just your typical bystander effect. Dude wasn't sure what to do, so stuck to the things he knew ("I'm not allowed in the women's locker room!"), possibly resulting in a woman's death.

dionysus

Yaldog
Keep in mind that the knowledge that this was life or death is only available after the fact. Sure he should have called 911 immediately, but people here are acting like he intentionally ignored a life or death situation. Sure there was a decent chance it was life or death, but not a certainty.

Zee-Row

Banned
You would think in a world where every moment can be captured on YouTube or world star that one of the ladies had a cell phone.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Guy is an insensitive selfish asshole...but if he had run in there the ending of this article would be mentioning how his gym fired him for violating policy. Which is no excuse, a person's life is worth more than your job.

Keep in mind that the knowledge that this was life or death is only available after the fact. Sure he should have called 911 immediately, but people here are acting like he intentionally ignored a life or death situation. Sure there was a decent chance it was life or death, but not a certainty.

A woman collapses in the gym and two panic stricken women come to beg you for help...you have to be completely dense to not consider that a dire situation and very likely life or death.

Cyan

Banned
Was he terrorized by the sexual harassment lawsuits and false rape accusations that appear in the news ?

If so, this is a further reason (beyond worries about "rape culture" in society) to stop propagating myths about the frequency of false rape accusations.

Guy is an insensitive selfish asshole...but if he had run in there the ending of this article would be mentioning how his gym fired him for violating policy. Which is no excuse, a person's life is worth more than your job.

Possibly, but I doubt it. The PR backlash would be huge.

This reminds me of stories where strangers won't help those in need in China because they're legally liable. I don't think people should be so quick to hate on this guy. Helping others is truly dangerous business in the United States these days.

The sad part of this all is though, that if he would have gone in and saved her, he would later be fired for going into the locker room anyway.

Messed up world we live in.

I bet if [totally hypothetical situation that can't be easily tested] were to happen [results I'd want to happen to demonstrate a point] would occur.

dionysus

Yaldog
This reminds me of stories where strangers won't help those in need in China because they're legally liable. I don't think people should be so quick to hate on this guy. Helping others is truly dangerous business in the United States these days.

Many states have laws shielding Good Samaritans from liability.

siddx

If so, this is a further reason (beyond worries about "rape culture" in society) to stop propagating myths about the frequency of false rape accusations.

Possibly, but I doubt it. The PR backlash would be huge.

Hasn't stopped businesses from doing similar things in the past. Remember the lifeguard who was fired for saving a man's life who was swimming in the "at your own risk" area?

Losing your job and ending up not being able to pay bills and thus ending up homeless or worse isn't a small consequence.

Some rules are meant to be broken when they obviously contradict being a decent human being. It's like people forgot to use their critical thinking skills in here sometimes.

Hasn't stopped businesses from doing similar things in the past. Remember the lifeguard who was fired for saving a man's life who was swimming in the "at your own risk" area?

People defended that firing too.

Cyan

Banned

Hmm, good point. All the examples that came to mind were of employees stopping shoplifters and then getting fired.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

I'd rather lose my job than stand by and be the type of person that doesn't help someone in need, dead or not dead. That's a character thing.

If I get in trouble for helping someone, oh well? At least I know I did the right thing. I'll raise a stink through social media about getting fired for helping. Better than knowing that you could have helped save a life but chose not to. And this isn't a hindsight thing, If I heard someone collapsed in the bathroom, I wouldn't even think about not going.

Suairyu

Banned
The sad part of this all is though, that if he would have gone in and saved her, he would later be fired for going into the locker room anyway.

Messed up world we live in.
Then he could have taken the employer to an employment tribunal on grounds of unfair dismissal.

Losing your job and ending up not being able to pay bills and thus ending up homeless or worse isn't a small consequence.

Oh wow you seem to know a lot about this guy's financial situation, and his employer's mindset. You must know them really well.

Also he waited 5 minutes to call an ambulance. How can you defend that? Or would he get fired for using the phone in your mind?

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Very little about this story makes any sense so I think, as usual, most of the reactions in here are a little premature.

Based only on what we know he probably should have called 911 earlier. That is the expectation of citizens in this country, generally. Unless you are a healthcare worker or otherwise qualified there is not an expectation that he bust in there and begin administering CPR.

Even if you assume he's some sort of asshole or just totally froze up, why didn't the other two people call 911? I feel like there's something missing.

Hmm, good point. All the examples that came to mind were of employees stopping shoplifters and then getting fired.

I have a friend that was fired from a 24 hour convenience store when it was robbed. Basically, the policy is that if you are robbed, you have to lock the door when they leave and remain inside until the police arrive. Well, the robber had beat her bloody and broke the phone, and the lock on the door had been broken for six months. So she ran home, which was a block away, to call the police, and stayed there. She was fired for leaving the store.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Unless he had specific life-saving training, which I didn't see pointed out, how is he going to "save" her or do anything that those two women couldn't do?

siddx

Some rules are meant to be broken when they obviously contradict being a decent human being. It's like people forgot to use their critical thinking skills in here sometimes.

People defended that firing too.

I've noticed we have a lot of people who very strongly believe in protect yourself first and foremost no matter what. From posters (and people offline) saying they'd never step in to help someone being attacked or in danger, to people valuing a job over doing the right thing. I guess everyone looks at life differently but I could never imagine not stepping in to help. Yes sometimes that means putting yourself at risk, but if we aren't brave enough to help one another, we are completely doomed as a race.

DR2K

Banned
Gym employees are minimum wage employees trained to do jack and shit. The only thing he should have done was call 911, but that's something the women in the locker room could have done as soon as they found the woman.

When I did retail we were told very very specifically if you lay a finger on a shoplifter, even to detain them...you're going to be fired immediately.

I've noticed we have a lot of people who very strongly believe in protect yourself first and foremost no matter what. From posters (and people offline) saying they'd never step in to help someone being attacked or in danger, to people valuing a job over doing the right thing. I guess everyone looks at life differently but I could never imagine not stepping in to help. Yes sometimes that means putting yourself at risk, but if we aren't brave enough to help one another, we are completely doomed as a race.

Also the gym firing that guy would lead to a PR nightmare for them. I'd do it and say "let them fire me" and go to the media. I'm pretty sure places that don't want people to expire on their premises would be eager to hire me. Fuck continuing to work at a place where I feel like saving someone's life could still get me fired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom