• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 sold 671K in Japan in its first 3 days (physical) (Famitsu)

DKHF

Splatoon 2 has sold through 670,955 (physical) units in its first 3 days in Japan according to Famitsu. This doesn't include eShop sales. This sales performance makes it the highest selling Switch game in Japan so far and (obviously) the highest selling debut sales of a Switch game in Japan.

102K Nintendo Switches were also sold in Japan in this period. Switch installbase in Japan is now 1,205,087.

The first Splatoon's Japanese debut sales were 156,610 (physical) on a Wii U install base of 2,333,622. Splatoon 1 then went on to sell 1,512,789 units (according to Famitsu) not counting eShop sales.

Source: https://www.famitsu.com/news/201707/26138427.html

Update, Media Create's numbers:
Media Create report that Splatoon 2 sold 648,085 units and 98,999 Switches were sold (in the same time period).

Splatoon 2 might be the best selling exclusive game for the year in Japan, atleast.

The only competition is really Dragon Quest and that's on two systems that are in better health. It's possible, but I do think the title is going to DQ. I don't think there's much doubt that Splatoon is the most popular shooter in Japan right now though which is impressive in its own right.

Madao

when was the last time a game became the best selling game in its console/handheld on launch week? FFXIII on PS3?

The only competition is really Dragon Quest and that's on two systems that are in better health. It's possible, but I do think the title is going to DQ.

DQ isn't exclusive but Splatoon 2 could probably beat those individual games by year's end.

big_z

I wonder how many people bought the game that don't have a switch yet and are praying they'll be able to buy one soon.

The only competition is really Dragon Quest and that's on two systems that are in better health. It's possible, but I do think the title is going to DQ. I don't think there's much doubt that Splatoon is the most popular shooter in Japan right now though which is impressive in its own right.

Yeah, I was meaning exclusive on one system. I know DQXI will definitely sell more than Splatoon 2.

NateDrake

DQ wouldn't count in that scenario since it isn't an exclusive release to any one platform. DQXI across 3DS and PS4 will top Splatoon 2 in sales, but no exclusive title for any one platform will top Splatoon 2.

I was really bullish on the first Splatoon's chances back when large portions of GAF was sure it would be a failure, but I'm still amazed at how much the series managed to capture the cultural zeitgeist in Japan

Atheerios

Splatoon 2 might be the best selling exclusive game for the year in Japan, atleast.

Pokemon will probably beat it, unless USUM really don't introduce anything interesting compared to SM.

kubus

My Japanese friend has been trying to get a Switch for over a month now for Monster Hunter, without luck. She was in one of those crazy lines this morning, and got unlucky in the lottery.

People are thirsty for Splatoon 2 now, and Monster Hunter XX for Switch comes out in less than a month...

Hopefully Nintendo can ramp up production, or blood is gonna spill next month lol.

when was the last time a game became the best selling game in its console/handheld on launch week? FFXIII on PS3?

DQ isn't exclusive but Splatoon 2 could probably beat those individual games by year's end.

Ffxv? Pretty sure its numbers were slightly higher than splatoon.

Also didn't stealth on twitter say it had 800k pre orders in japan like a month ago?
Did people cancel on them or something?

Also dq 11 might even outsell it individually at least in the first week... But who knows.
My Japanese friend has been trying to get a Switch for over a month now for Monster Hunter, without luck. She was in one of those crazy lines this morning, and got unlucky in the lottery.

People are thirsty for Splatoon 2 now, and Monster Hunter XX for Switch comes out in less than a month...

Hopefully Nintendo can ramp up production, or blood is gonna spill next month lol.

Actually xx preorders arent doing decently at all in japan from what i can tell. No idea why...

NateDrake

People are still hyped for Monster Hunter XX on Switch?

So what is the attach rate?
Roughly 55%. Could round up to 56%.

Top Bottom