• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPad Pro |OT|

Holy shit. I’m assuming for school?
Yes, I should have mentioned that. I like the idea of hand written notes for memory retention plus it will work well with all his math and science courses.
I was able to get the Education discount which isn't much but did get him a pair of beats x Bluetooth headphones for free.

Yes, I should have mentioned that. I like the idea of hand written notes for memory retention plus it will work well with all his math and science courses.
I was able to get the Education discount which isn't much but did get him a pair of beats x Bluetooth headphones for free.

I use a 10.5” for handwritten notes in college currently, it’s killer. You made the right call. Small workflow suggestions: GoodNotes for handwritten lecture notes and textbook notes, Notability for importing Docs/PowerPoints/PDFs to write on (great for handouts, lectures the professors put online to download) and making study guides with pictures and stuff

Blackhead

Redarse
Bought my son the 12.9" iPad Pro, Smart Keyboard, Apple Pencil, Applecare, and a cheap clear vinyl case off of Amazon to protect the back. I also purchased a bunch of apps for him: Notability; GoodNotes; Desmos; WolframAlpha; and Scanner Pro. Thinking about PDF Expert but it is rather expensive and does not qualify for Family Sharing (damn those IAP).

He also has a Mac/PC, right?

He also has a Mac/PC, right?
I (and therefore my family) is firmly in Apple Land. Everyone has iPhones, and we have two iMacs, and I have a MacBook Pro. His school provides Office 365 which he will connect to his account on both the iMacs (under his user name) and on his own iPad Pro.

8bit

Knows the Score
Again, trying to find a mini-case that can house both the iPad and the Smart Keyboard while connected to it. I just need something that will protect the iPad's corners while it shuffles around in my bag.

Edit: This looks like it'll do the trick. Cheap and claims to do exactly what I want.

Did you get that case? Is it any good?

pprkut

Neo Member
B&H is legit but just know that once you open it you cant return it, and exchanging is a pain. That's not really a problem if you live near an apple store though

Can you return if its a factory defect? Also, why is exchanging problematic?

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
I use a 10.5” for handwritten notes in college currently, it’s killer. You made the right call. Small workflow suggestions: GoodNotes for handwritten lecture notes and textbook notes, Notability for importing Docs/PowerPoints/PDFs to write on (great for handouts, lectures the professors put online to download) and making study guides with pictures and stuff
What do you prefer in regards to Goodnotes?

What do you prefer in regards to Goodnotes?

I feel it everrrrrrrrr so slightly feels better when writing as compared to notability. I’ve opened them up side by side and it’s marginal, but GoodNotes pulled out ahead. For handwritten notes I also prefer its organization, which is notebooks you can add to and change the cover and paper type and whatnot, all organized into categories. And it has distinct pages, which is great when I’m trying to spatially lay out where my notes are, versus PDFs and other things I’m writing on top of where I prefer the flowing nature of Notability

Goodnotes also lets you search handwritten notes without converting them to type, which Notability does not

Yeah seems still to slow. I'd probably still focus on any compatibility issues with the router. Maybe see if the firmware is up to date. What brand/model is it?

I just downloaded an iTunes rental, 6.5 Gb, around 12 minutes. I get 110 down on my iPad.
I rent it from Verizon so whatever the newest Verizon FiOS router is.

jts

...hate me...
Not that I’m not enjoying this iPad Pro 12.9” 128GB Wifi 1st gen. But at 750€ (used, mint) I might have rushed into it.

Just got this sale on 2nd gen ones:

12.9” 64GB wifi 780€
12.9” 64GB cellular 920€
10.5” 64GB cellular 770€
10.5” 64GB wifi 640€

What do you reckon?

Blackhead

Redarse
Not that I'm not enjoying this iPad Pro 12.9" 128GB Wifi 1st gen. But at 750€ (used, mint) I might have rushed into it.

Just got this sale on 2nd gen ones:

12.9" 64GB wifi 780€
12.9" 64GB cellular 920€
10.5" 64GB cellular 770€
10.5" 64GB wifi 640€

What do you reckon?

1st gen won't have the complete multitasking features as 2nd gen when iOS 11 is released. Upgrade if you can afford it

jts

...hate me...
1st gen won't have the complete multitasking features as 2nd gen when iOS 11 is released. Upgrade if you can afford it
I will have 2-3 days to pull the trigger, I'm seriously considering it. Probably just going with the 12.9" 64GB wifi. Can keep my smart cover. Then I'll resell my current one without much of a loss.

But what are the exclusive multitasking features to 2nd gen? I'm currently on iOS 11 public beta, and it has about everything I knew about.

Blackhead

Redarse
I will have 2-3 days to pull the trigger, I'm seriously considering it. Probably just going with the 12.9" 64GB wifi. Can keep my smart cover. Then I'll resell my current one without much of a loss.

But what are the exclusive multitasking features to 2nd gen? I'm currently on iOS 11 public beta, and it has about everything I knew about.
in iOS 11
Slide Over: Supports Slide Over on top of Split View with full interaction* for all apps

Second-generation iPad Pro only; first-generation supports Slide Over on top of Split View, but only Slide Over is in focus as of the public beta.

pprkut

Neo Member

If you can afford, I'd just spend the extra cash. I personally don't like to invest on aging hardware, especially if i'm planning to keep it for multiple years.

Just wanna jump in here with my impressions of the iPad Pro 10.5". I've had iPad's from the very first, all the way up to the original 12.9" Pro, and I have to say, this really feels like the sweet spot. The blazing fast speed, stability, form factor, screen. It's all come together. The subtle improvement of the refresh rate is much more important than I had thought, and it makes the Pencil feel much smoother. Anyone on the fence should not hesitate to get one!

Tendo

How is battery life on the 10.5 pro compared to the 12.9? I'm tempted to upgrade as my battery is showing its age and as much as I've loved almost two years with the 12.9 I'm kind of done with the large size. My comics will look just fine on a 10.5 I think.

Just wanna jump in here with my impressions of the iPad Pro 10.5". I've had iPad's from the very first, all the way up to the original 12.9" Pro, and I have to say, this really feels like the sweet spot. The blazing fast speed, stability, form factor, screen. It's all come together. The subtle improvement of the refresh rate is much more important than I had thought, and it makes the Pencil feel much smoother. Anyone on the fence should not hesitate to get one!

Yeah I love it. Every few weeks I keep pushing a little further, got the pencil now I have the smart keyboard. It's really miraculous. I have a Mac Book Pro but that's basically just gonna be for Adobe Suite and my music collection. This is a dream to write on and god damn the comics on this thing.

How is battery life on the 10.5 pro compared to the 12.9? I'm tempted to upgrade as my battery is showing its age and as much as I've loved almost two years with the 12.9 I'm kind of done with the large size. My comics will look just fine on a 10.5 I think.

Battery life concerns are almost non-existent. I found the 12.9 too large. If you're concerned with your iPad running longer than 8hrs or so, you just need to look into an external battery at that point. And damn, the comics!

Yeah I love it. Every few weeks I keep pushing a little further, got the pencil now I have the smart keyboard. It's really miraculous. I have a Mac Book Pro but that's basically just gonna be for Adobe Suite and my music collection. This is a dream to write on and god damn the comics on this thing.

Gaddamn at the comics man, wow.

Hah. My 12.9 now has a significant bend. No screen damage but it's still turning into a taco. Will be interesting to see how much AppleCare covers.

Really liking the keyboard so far but beyond disappointed that it does nothing to protect the back. Dumbest design ever.

The back is by far the strongest part of the device, and it's half covered when you use the folded keyboard. I admit I thought they still sold silicone backs that supported the keyboard still, but selling one that does both seems like overkill.

Hah. My 12.9 now has a significant bend. No screen damage but it's still turning into a taco. Will be interesting to see how much AppleCare covers.

The back is by far the strongest part of the device, and it's half covered when you use the folded keyboard. I admit I thought they still sold silicone backs that supported the keyboard still, but selling one that does both seems like overkill.

Regular warranty of AppleCare+?

AppleCare+. But unless they have some kind of hotpress the frame and screen will both have to be replaced, if not the whole unit. Weird.

iPads are always replaced whole unit, officially no part of them is modular. It’ll be $50 with AC+, way better than the ~$600 or so without it

What? The keyboard only covers barely a third and ONLY when typing... Who is worried about protecting the back while it's being stood up to type on? What?

What? The keyboard only covers barely a third and ONLY when typing... Who is worried about protecting the back while it's being stood up to type on? What?

You assumed a keyboard cover was a case. It's not, it's a cover, it's not bad design - it's Apple understanding that the iPad shell is tough enough already and people would appreciate a cheaper, more convenient cover that protects the front but is easily removable. Same design since the iPad 2.

I assumed you were worried about it when typing. My bad. Anyway like I was saying, you can buyOEM cases that fit fine around the keyboard - see this one - just that Apple stopped making their own iPad cases after the iPad Air 2. (The Air 2 cover had no keyboard, but it was a cover + case in one.)

jts

...hate me...
Love the original iPad cover.

11397153692_629482306_1-apple-ipad-1-16-gb-with-original-flip-cover.jpg

Love the original iPad in general. It's funny how short lived it was in the sense that it quickly and massively evolved in the 2nd generation setting the blueprint for years to come (thinner, lighter, magnetic smart covers, cameras), but I just enjoyed the look and feel of 1st gen much more.

You assumed a keyboard cover was a case. It's not, it's a cover, it's not bad design - it's Apple understanding that the iPad shell is tough enough already and people would appreciate a cheaper, more convenient cover that protects the front but is easily removable. Same design since the iPad 2.

I assumed you were worried about it when typing. My bad. Anyway like I was saying, you can buyOEM cases that fit fine around the keyboard - see this one - just that Apple stopped making their own iPad cases after the iPad Air 2. (The Air 2 cover had no keyboard, but it was a cover + case in one.)

I made no assumptions, I'm stating that it is a moronic move on Apple's part and shitty to gouge people out of another $70. Most people don't look at it and day works look how tough that outer shell is!

M.D

What size of the Ipad pro would you recommend for a student? I want to purchase one to take/view notes and everything else to do with being a student

Also, is Apple Pencil the best option or are there nay cheaper but comparable alternatives?

ESBL

What size of the Ipad pro would you recommend for a student? I want to purchase one to take/view notes and everything else to do with being a student

Also, is Apple Pencil the best option or are there nay cheaper but comparable alternatives?

10.5", the 12.9 simply doesn't have the portability that it has. That being said, if you're really serious about purchasing one now is probably the best time. Best Buy has $100 off any iPad Pro, you can get BH Photo to price match and usually get it shipped for free with no sales tax. Otherwise, I bought mine through Apple with the back to school sale, used the price protection with my credit card and essentially got my iPad Pro for $200 off (Sold the headphones for $100).

There's no other option for a stylus for the iPad Pro, just ignore every other option......literally.

10.5” if you value portability, 12.9” if it’s going to stay mostly in one place. I have a 10.5” to take to class to be my notebook and at dreamy, I absolutely love it

And yes, the Apple Pencil is the best, and if you ask me, only option. If you need to save some money you can get one on Apple’s refurbished store for $85

ESBL

10.5” if you value portability, 12.9” if it’s going to stay mostly in one place. I have a 10.5” to take to class to be my notebook and at dreamy, I absolutely love it

And yes, the Apple Pencil is the best, and if you ask me, only option. If you need to save some money you can get one on Apple’s refurbished store for $85

I think Best Buy or Costco regularly has the pencil on sale for around $90. Occasionally, Staples will have a $25 off $100 via Visa Checkout, thats how I got mine for $75 new.

M.D

Thanks for the advice! I can't take advantage of these deals since I don't live in the US :/

I was hoping there would be an Apple Pencil alternative since it costs way too much for my taste (local price), maybe I'll order it off Amazon

Is the iPad Pro 10.5 worth upgrading to from an iPad Air 2?

That was my upgrade and I think it was well worth it. Granted I wanted something with an Apple Pencil since I'll be using it to take notes in class.

I did the exact same, I bought the Apple Pencil as well but it is more like a toy or a novelty thing for me, I haven't been writing much other than some basic stuff.

If you need the pencil or have something to do with it, will be worth it. If you don't need the pencil the only other incentive is the better display. My iPad Air 2 though getting a bit slower, it did handle most of the browsing I threw at it, some third party apps and gaming. So, I really didn't need to update, more like an impulse thing, only thing I justified it is because I'm falling low on space on my 64GB Air 2 that is almost three years old.

If you can wait it out, if you have money to spend, go for it.

Moreche

Been using my 10.5 Pro for a few days now and it's without doubt the best iPad yet, I can't wait for ios11 next week.
This iPad has replaced my laptop totally, I can't see myself going back ever. I just need to get the keyboard and pencil.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Is this a dead pixel? It's only noticeable if I put my face right near the ipad screen looking for it, but knowing its there is annoying

(Just above the L)

21552514_676862062510215_1293262975_n.jpg

21621878_676862059176882_183712365_n.jpg

jts

...hate me...
Finally got my Pro 2. Only took 2 or 3 weeks after buying it lol.

Anyway, updating now to iOS 11 so I can set it up from a iOS 11 backup. But from what I used it so far, ProMotion is stunning and I like TrueTone a lot.

And, albeit on iOS 10 still, it feels a whole lot snappier... have to admit that A9 devices are starting to feel sluggish (have a 6s+ too). That's why I'd love the iPad to be on par with iPhone but Apple won't listen.

I bet the difference will be big when I try the Apple Pencil on one and then on the other.

ZeroX03

Banned
Considering the Pro 10.5 too. Air 2 is still serving me well, but Pencil, 120Hz, HDR and a little bit bigger screen have me tempted.

Also I'm deleting stuff constantly on 64GB. 256GB would mean I could throw on heaps of media and not worry.

Being new to the Pro, I was disappointed that not too many apps were supporting Picture in Picture, but I just now discovered PiPifier for HTML5 videos. I'm glad I can finally watch proper YouTube in PiP.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pipifier-pip-for-every-web-video/id1234771095?mt=8

Works phenomenally, wow.

Top Bottom