• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF |OT| We get around in a hole in the ground

Jhoan

New ideas for fun things to do on Christmas day? We never had weather like this before, and I'm thinking about just going out tomorrow. But most of the shit is closed tomorrow.
Pinch me, I'm dreaming.

s3SeL2Q.png

Aren't you flying off to China soon? There's always something to do around the city even on holidays but it's too damn hot for ice skating:
http://www.timeout.com/newyork/things-to-do/your-perfect-friday-3?package_page=35475

I would meet up with a bunch of you lot tomorrow but my wallet is in critical mode until next month unless it were to be a super cheap activity. Spent so much money on gifts and bills this month among other things. One of the Union Square holiday shops had a deluxe beer making kit set fo 75 bucks that I came damn near close to buying.

Oh and I have a few announcements to make soon. The first one concerning the absence of GAF meet ups this year which might return again next year and a local NeoGAF Notebook project among other ideas. Merry Christmas guys!

Aren't you flying off to China soon? There's always something to do around the city even on holidays but it's too damn hot for ice skating:
http://www.timeout.com/newyork/things-to-do/your-perfect-friday-3?package_page=35475

Yeah, leaving on the 17th. I'm only going away for a year or two. The job experience will help immensely. That's part of the reason I wanted to go out more so to spend a little more time with friends before I leave. Of course I'm not going for good, so it's not the end of the world or anything.

Jhoan

Yeah, leaving on the 17th. I'm only going away for a year or two. The job experience will help immensely. That's part of the reason I wanted to go out more so to spend a little more time with friends before I leave. Of course I'm not going for good, so it's not the end of the world or anything.
Hey do, what you gotta do man. Maybe it'll change you for the better and you might learn something about yourself in the process even if it is a big risk leaving the familiarities behind. Gotta away from the parents for a while to appreciate being on your own. Going back to the homeland is a lot like a personal journey. Selling people on tech stuff for cars didn't seem like it was your true calling.

I feel like I needed a break to focus on myself since I've been going through some personal growing pains this year after transitioning from college hence the absence of meet ups this year. Still not happy where I'm at since there's a lot more work to do and bigger risks to take next year but it's been a learning experience and I'm thankful to have a roof over my head.

I don't imagine myself living in NYC forever or at least saving up money next year to do some traveling to other states and considering doing a cruise with a few friends. The city can be a bit overbearing at times. But I digress since that's a little bit of insight as to what's been going on in my personal life.

Any way, RE GAF meet ups returning: I'm looking to shoot for February after Valentines Day since next year's IndieCade East has been moved to April. Ideally, after that first meet up, I'm looking to have other folks organize them. It's not the most herculean task to organize them as it is fun. The other ideas I have I'll share with them soon but as part of my personal goals for next year, I'm looking to start a podcast idea that I've been kicking around.

oh nice! there's a NYC GAF,
global warming at its finest today=D so happy!

Anyone eat at that falafel hole in the wall place by west 4th? that place is so good.

Hey do, what you gotta do man. Maybe it'll change you for the better and you might learn something about yourself in the process even if it is a big risk leaving the familiarities behind. Gotta away from the parents for a while to appreciate being on your own. Going back to the homeland is a lot like a personal journey. Selling people on tech stuff for cars didn't seem like it was your true calling.

No, I don't sell anything. I just make sure the customers know how to use the tech in their cars. It's not my true calling, but I actually enjoy it a lot. That said, it also never hurts to learn something new. I'm getting into the Import Export business.

I feel like I needed a break to focus on myself since I've been going through some personal growing pains this year after transitioning from college hence the absence of meet ups this year. Still not happy where I'm at since there's a lot more work to do and bigger risks to take next year but it's been a learning experience and I'm thankful to have a roof over my head.

Good luck man!

Jhoan

Cats are my secret Achilles' heel. Nothing melts my heart easier than a cat since I grew up with a horny tabby who we eventually gave away to a neighbor after my uncle threw it out into the street without our knowledge one day. That cat cafe is probably a good place to rack up some online dating profile pics because women love guys with pet pics.

I was down at Rockefeller Center with a friend earlier to see the tree and there were droves upon droves of tourists and selfie sticks eeverywhere! It was a pain in the ass; a couple of girls had asked me to take several pictures of them in front if the tree. It's like Christmas Day is when tourists fully take over Times Square and Rockefeller Center that people are either there or making a beeline to said tree. Didn't take any pics of the tree because I'm indifferent to it. Tourists are also kind of rude that one bumped into my shoulder. I wish the city would ban selfie sticks from public places.

Pretty damn sure if I would have started drawing the tree, there would have been tourists swarming over me asking how much and lining up for drawings. Seems like a good idea to do before it gets taken down. Saw the annoying Times Square mascots making their way to the tree as my friend and I were leaving to add fuel to the fire. Best time I would recommend going to see it is early in the day before the evening since it gets incredibly crowded inside the perimeter by the skating rink.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I wonder what the tree was like on the day of that rainstorm.

Jhoan

I wonder what the tree was like on the day of that rainstorm.
It probably had a few intrepid and/or foolish tourists who wanted to take a selfie with the tree because it was their last night in the city. Then again, since it's a huge deal, the tree was probably covered up in a dome so as to prevent decorations from getting blown away.
How much do Subway sandwiches cost in New York?
BeneficialDopeyKrill.gif

It depends on the neighborhood where one gets it at it might be cheaper or expensive e.g. a footlong Subway sandwich in SoHo is going cost more versus buying that same footlong in Washington Heights. There's a deal where it's 5 bucks (plus tax) for a 6 inch sandwich comes with chips and soda on select sandwiches.

Haly

I swear, 90% of Spanish places in this city are tapas bars.

I'm moderately confident that Spanish cuisine goes beyond finger food and appetizers.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

I'm moderately confident that Spanish cuisine goes beyond finger food and appetizers.

Also 90% of Tapas bars aren't even Spanish Tapas. They call any sort of small dish "tapas" in this city now because they think it's clever and edgy and it's fucking maddening.

I just want some goddamn spanish tapas, stop trying to trick me.

Also 90% of Tapas bars aren't even Spanish Tapas. They call any sort of small dish "tapas" in this city now because they think it's clever and edgy and it's fucking maddening.

I just want some goddamn spanish tapas, stop trying to trick me.

Yes. As someone who lived in spain is super sad

Haly

NYE dinner at http://huertasnyc.com/ for me.

It's kind of disappointing their prix fixe doesn't offer any choices but whatever, it all sounds good and I can come back later to try something new.

Lulubop

Good bars in the LES? Dive or casual.

I know a lot of places in the East Village, which I like most people who grew up here consider to be the Lower East Side. However, I understand the LES is actually whatever past Houston nowadays. In that case, there's a ton of places on Ludlow as well as Essex that it seems everyone in the city goes to on the weekends.

Gallbaro

Banned

Try Spain on 13th between 6th and 7th. Cash only, and they give you a ton of complimentary tapas, the main dishes are great, and massive in portion.

Ed-Silver

Neo Member
So I need recommendations of places within walking distance of Times Square where a friend and I can grab a bite to eat or drink with very minimal background noise and good enough space to find a table at around 9pm on a weekday. We will be celebrating my friends birthday that day, and I have a present to give them, so having a table and very minimal background noise is important. I'll consider bars if music isn't being blasted at high levels. I'm also open to any other suggestions.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
The Magician is great.

And Johnsons is pretty good too if it's still around.

I know a lot of places in the East Village, which I like most people who grew up here consider to be the Lower East Side. However, I understand the LES is actually whatever past Houston nowadays. In that case, there's a ton of places on Ludlow as well as Essex that it seems everyone in the city goes to on the weekends.

Thank you, guys!

Haly

So I need recommendations of places within walking distance of Times Square where a friend and I can grab a bite to eat or drink with very minimal background noise and good enough space to find a table at around 9pm on a weekday. We will be celebrating my friends birthday that day, and I have a present to give them, so having a table and very minimal background noise is important. I'll consider bars if music isn't being blasted at high levels. I'm also open to any other suggestions.

Get curry from Go Go Curry and take it back to your hotel.

Haly

Hm, well they have a few tables (4-6) but it's very small and doesn't have the best ambiance if you're looking to make it a Special Evening.

Jhoan

I would have recommended Valhalla on 54th and 10th for the big picnic tables but the noise level is moderate around that time and it's crowded so not much other options I can think of unless you go to east of Lexington to bars between Lex and 3rd or to 3rd ave. The only other place I can think of where you'd be able to do such a thing like that at that time is the Marriott hotel's food court on 54th between Broadway and 8th. It's where I meet with my boss at every Tuesday and is pretty chill. I was just there last night but every Tuesday, a live jazz band performs from 7PM-10PM so if you plan on going any day but Tuesday, you should be fine.

A few articles that caught my eye today. Edit: Correction: Inwood gets the honor of having the most places in Manhattan serving alcohol yntil 8am out of any other Manhattan neighborhood. http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/201...llowed-serve-booze-till-8-am-on-new-years-eve

And today is Toys R'Us Times Square's final operational day since it's shuttering for good at 6PM and moving elsewhere in the city . I'm sure as hell going to miss going to use the bathroom. Got a Gameboy Micro from there 6 years ago too. One thing I won't miss is trying to get a picture taken by staff. The video games section which became a shell a shell of its former self, will be sorely missed since the only section I ever went to when it wasn't the bathroom: http://pix11.com/2015/12/29/toys-r-us-closing-iconic-flagship-location-in-times-square-on-wednesday/

Hmm... I have half a day of work tomorrow. Any recommendations on what to do tomorrow? I usually hang with my friends at a party or something, but I want to do something different this year. Not wasting my time with the ball drop.

And today is Toys R'Us Times Square's final operational day since it's shuttering for good at 6PM and moving elsewhere in the city . I'm sure as hell going to miss going to use the bathroom. Got a Gameboy Micro from there 6 years ago too. One thing I won't miss is trying to get a picture taken by staff. The video games section which became a shell a shell of its former self, will be sorely missed since the only section I ever went to when it wasn't the bathroom: http://pix11.com/2015/12/29/toys-r-us-closing-iconic-flagship-location-in-times-square-on-wednesday/

I'm gonna miss that robo T.rex.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
That was my go-to bathroom. It is insane if a big company like Toys R Us can't keep up with the rent there.

I use the Time Square Visitor Center for bathrooms, but that closed down a couple of years ago. They're taking our best bathroom spots dammit!!!

Which place? You don't mean Mamoun's do you? I wouldn't classify it as a hole-in-the-wall considering they have multiple locations.

same place as 15 yrs ago.

google 15 best hole in the wall places greenwich village.

i go to the one in hoboken just for memories .

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Which place? You don't mean Mamoun's do you? I wouldn't classify it as a hole-in-the-wall considering they have multiple locations.

I think it qualifies as a hole in the wall spot - it's a pretty small location, even if it's very successful. Also delicious. I miss it since I moved from the Village.

Anyway, stay safe on this NYE, NYC GAF.

Jhoan

I offer my condolences to anyone who's currently in Times Square waiting to watch the ball drop. Unless you're there for work, the best place to avoid being on New Year's Eve is the Times Square area. As for me, I'm doing some R&R at the moment with Sniper Elite V2 before eating dinner and getting ready to go off to Queens with my middle brother after midnight since he has a gig out there.

Whatever you folks have planned, Happy New Year to you all in advance and here's looking to seeing some of you soon. As a side note: the minimum wage in NY State has increased to $10.50 as of today. Prospect Park Fireworks sounds like a fun thing to do if it wasn't so damn cold outside!

So as a birthday gift to my wife turning 40 I'm taking her to skate at Rockefeller Center, see Jersey Boys and we are staying at the Marquis Marriott in Times Square the weekend of the 9th. I know the Nintendo World Store is close and I would like to keep things within walking distance, but is there any places we should see in the general vicinity? Also if someone could recommend a restaurant in that area that would be swell. Haven't been to NYC since 1986.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
So as a birthday gift to my wife turning 40 I'm taking her to skate at Rockefeller Center, see Jersey Boys and we are staying at the Marquis Marriott in Times Square the weekend of the 9th. I know the Nintendo World Store is close and I would like to keep things within walking distance, but is there any places we should see in the general vicinity? Also if someone could recommend a restaurant in that area that would be swell. Haven't been to NYC since 1986.

Do yourself a favor and get out of the general vicinity. Especially when it comes to getting food.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

Yeah, definitely venture out of the Times Square area. Use Uber to get to nice meals out of that neighborhood if you don't want to take the subway/cabs.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces

If you really just want to stick to the area, there's Radio City Music Hall, the MoMA, Bryant Park/NY Public Library, and Grand Central Terminal. Central Park south is walkable.

If you want restaurants, in general, I'd just head to 9th ave. There's a lot of options there.

But personal recommendations... Totto Ramen (there's two locations, one in Midtown East and one in the West) Yakitori Totto, Otto's Tacos, Poulette, Toloache, Ma Peche/Fuku+/Milk Bar, Le Relais de Venise...

There's a greasy spoon, hole-in-the-wall Cuban lunch spot called Margon, but I'm not sure what their hours are on the weekend.

Edit: If the Nintendo Store is up your alley, maybe go to Kinokuniya, which is by Bryant Park. It's a Japanese bookstore with a ton of nerdy stuff on the 2nd floor.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Yo I just had a great date tonight and I wanted to share the idea. I met a girl and she's really cool, we went out to dinner for our first date (Winegasm in Astoria) and it was cool but I felt I needed to kick it up a notch and I wanted to do something a little more special. I suggested rock climbing but the only time our schedules would really allow to meet up was today, and rock climbing New Years day could have been a disaster if we were hungover.

The brilliant idea was I took her to Gyu-Kaku. For those unfamiliar, Gyu Kaku has several locations in NYC. It's a Japanese BBQ place where you basically order the stuff you want to cook at the grill located in the center of each table. I am pretty adventurous with food so I ordered some of their appetizers which turned out really tasty and we ordered off the meats that we wanted to have. It was super fun to see her just take charge of putting the meats on the grill. At some point she was just way too bossy and I started doing a mock "Yes chef!" like in Hell's Kitchen. She loved it, "Yes! You can be my sous chef!"

The food was super tasty and it was a lot more fun then just sitting around bullshitting until the meal comes out in a traditional restaurant. Very highly recommended.

http://www.gyu-kaku.com/

Skelter

Banned
If you really just want to stick to the area, there's Radio City Music Hall, the MoMA, Bryant Park/NY Public Library, and Grand Central Terminal. Central Park south is walkable.

If you want restaurants, in general, I'd just head to 9th ave. There's a lot of options there.

But personal recommendations... Totto Ramen (there's two locations, one in Midtown East and one in the West) Yakitori Totto, Otto's Tacos, Poulette, Toloache, Ma Peche/Fuku+/Milk Bar, Le Relais de Venise...

There's a greasy spoon, hole-in-the-wall Cuban lunch spot called Margon, but I'm not sure what their hours are on the weekend.

Edit: If the Nintendo Store is up your alley, maybe go to Kinokuniya, which is by Bryant Park. It's a Japanese bookstore with a ton of nerdy stuff on the 2nd floor.

Definitely eat at Totto Ramen. It might be a wait but it is so worth it. Incredible tasting broth and delicious. The pork buns are sooooooo good.

Kilrathi

Time to pull out the winter coats, starting to feel like winter already. I had to put my horse's heavy winter sheet on today because its getting so cold. If only the weather could stay this warm, I was very much enjoying horseback riding in golf shirts during December.

Last semester of my master degree, got my career all set to go after I graduate as well. A good start so far to new year

Top Bottom