• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 2/18 - 2/24

31./00. [360] Burnout Paradise (EA)
32./24. [NDS] Prof. Layton and Pandora's Box (Level 5)
33./11. [NDS] Digimon Championship (Bandai-Namco)
34./29. [NDS] Animal Crossing Wild World (Nintendo)
35./22. [PS2] Tales of Destiny: Director's Cut (Bandai-Namco)
36./26. [NDS] Dragon Quest IV (Square-Enix)
37./28. [WII] Super Mario Galaxy (Nintendo)
38./27. [NDS] Final Fantasy IV (Square-Enix)
39./00. [NDS] Detective J.B. Harold's Casebook: Murder Club (fonfun)
40./35. [NDS] Nep League DS (Jaleco)
41./23. [PS3] Disgaea 3 (Nippon Ichi Software)
42./30. [NDS] Kanji Brain Test 2.5M (IE Institute)
43./00. [PS2] Dance Dance Revolution Supernova 2 (Konami)
44./05. [PS2] Ebi Kore+ Kimi Kiss (Enterbrain)
45./31. [WII] Mario Party 8 (Nintendo)
46./34. [NDS] Prof. Layton and the Curious Village (Level 5)
47./25. [PS3] Assassin's Creed (Ubi Soft)
48./40. [PS2] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2008 (Konami)
49./37. [PS2] Yakuza 2 (Sega)
50./39. [NDS] Doraemon Baseball: Dramatic Stadium (Bandai-Namco)

NDS - 22
PS2 - 9
WII - 8
PS3 - 5
PSP - 4
360 - 2

hardware.gif

Code:
Hardware - This Week | Last Week |       YTD |        LTD
1. WII   -    63,504 |    78,583 |   766,806 |  5,382,966
2. PSP   -    53,373 |    59,654 |   733,716 |  8,335,310
3. NDS   -    50,151 |    62,362 |   772,331 | 21,945,382
4. PS3   -    14,060 |    17,637 |   273,048 |  1,914,724
5. PS2   -     9,634 |    11,266 |   115,465 | 21,042,502
6. 360   -     2,001 |     2,198 |    37,175 |    544,516

s_20080218.png

All the Wii has to do is outsell the DS by a similar amount next week and it will overtake the DS YTD.

I still can't believe the DS has already hit 21.9 million units, and still selling very respectably.

Gaborn

Thunder Monkey said:
All the Wii has to do is outsell the DS by a similar amount next week and it will overtake the DS YTD.

I still can't believe the DS has already hit 21.9 million units, and still selling very respectably.

Without a price cut even.

Gaborn said:
Crazy stuff.

The Wii has already been grounded once this generation. It still has very high sales, but it actually comes down with a lack of new content.

The DS didn't for a long ass time.

Saitou

Banned
Gaborn said:
People keep forgetting that the price went up the DSLite costs 1800 Yen more than the DSPhat (16800 vs 15000)

So yeah, plenty of breathing room there.

Jammy

Banned
Everything's down... There's just not too many big releases out in Japan.

I expect Yakuza 3 and the new PS3 bundle to boost PS3 sales a bit. Wii sales should hold strong, but it still needs more releases.

What are the dates for Everybody's Common Sense Training TV, Mario Kart Wii, and Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
dolemite said:
No but Yakuza 3 is in two weeks.
Is it me, or is the start of this year mirroring last year pretty closely? Last year we had Gundabump, this year will be Yakubump?

And who was that idiot arguing a couple MC threads back that older, longer trends meant nothing because PS3 sales were higher in December and January and the shorter trend had the PS3 staying above 20-30k per week from now on?

jarrod

Banned
charlequin said:
Yeah, although, like, coming out at the butt-ass-end of the GC's life probably didn't help. I think they made a smart call making it a Wii game in Europe.
True... the NOE publishing deal doesn't hurt either.

charlequin said:
Really? Awesome! I'd love to see a version that made both the ARPG aspects and the farming aspects deeper and more complex, and I think it's the sort of game that hopefully could actually do well on the Wii.
Yeah, seems like a perfect fit. Neverland's slowly becoming king of the dungeon crawl.

charlequin said:
I think the larger issue is that ethelred made fun of the game and people flipped out like it was their mother. :lol I love Smash, myself (especially when liquor is involved) but I don't really think it's VRY SRS.
Well, he *is* making something of a habit of it... and doing a generally weak job too. I seem to recall something about comparing the Melee tourney scene to sports betting pools? :lol

Whenever you needle a game with a strong core base, you're going to get blowback. Happens with Halo, happens with GT, happens with Smash, happens with Pokemon even. Ever had a run in with the Pokecorps? Scarey stuff!

charlequin said:
I'd actually agree. The fan aspect (which, again, is pretty fun itself) is actually a good pairing with the gameplay; it provides the ideal excuse for a ginormous character roster and it gets the game a lot of exposure that it wouldn't otherwise have. Mario Kart is a similar case -- a series with several very strong games that probably wouldn't have gotten any traction without a blatant marketing overlay to get it in people's hands the first time.
Oh yeah, I'd agree with that too. Really, it's the case for most "new" Nintendo games, which tend to start conception based around a core design concept and then later graft on the aesthetic... and sometimes (Smash Bros, Mario Kart) they default to a familiar IP to boost it. Luigi's Mansion's another one.

Cheesemeister said:
New PSP color: Mint Green
[PS2] Gundam Musou Special
[360] Idolm@ster: Live for You
A mint Green PSP, that sounds ugly.....I guess idol master would push 360 sales to about 4000.

edit: After googling it, the thing is pretty ugly.

DiddyBop

The DS did it first,with its change to the DS Lite, now the PSP is killing ever since Crisis Core/ PSP slim. Sony must be pleased.

Osuwari

imo, a price cut is the best way to increase DSLite sales right now. colors don't have the effect they had before apparently.

there's still lots of people who would buy one if it was cheaper. wouldn't surprise me to see it at 80k-90k regularly after a price drop.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Osuwari said:
there's still lots of people who would buy one if it was cheaper. wouldn't surprise me to see it at 80k-90k regularly after a price drop.

The DS has averaged 80-90k this year already with no price drop :p

Rolf NB

WTF@PS3 sales slowing down so much after having such a strong January. Its YTD is 25% higher than at the same point last year, but its weekly sales are 27% lower. That despite it having so many more games, and a much better price. It makes no sense.

edit: this might be Japan's reaction to the removal of backwards-compatibility. The recent good performance could have been a bubble caused by the selling-off of backwards-compatible models. The problem with that theory is that the sales of PS2 hardware are even weaker.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
mc-weekly-pie-65.jpg

[ ] Weekly Market Share: If you're Sony this is definitely NOT what you want to see:

Code:
WEEKLY SALES 02-12-07 - 02-27-07

360			Wii			PS3
5,210			63,618			20,676
4,183			78,506			19,315
[B]9,393			142,124			39,991[/B] <--- TOTALS

Code:
WEEKLY SALES 02-11-08 - 02-24-08

360			Wii			PS3
2,198			78,583			17,637
2,001			63,504			14,060
[B]4,199			142,087			31,697[/B] <--- TOTALS

Those are totals from the exact same two weeks of the last two years. What do YOU notice? I notice that the Wii is tracking within 99.9% of last year's sales. The PS3 is actually losing ground, if possible, but still within 79% of last year's sales. What does that mean? It ain't good kids. It means that both consoles are tracking EXTREMELY close to last year's totals, and last year was an unmitigated disaster for the PS3. This year is looking no different at all. Perhaps we'll see a GearBump (tm) later this year.

But what does it mean in Sale-Age? It means that the Wii will be hitting 50k-80k for the majority of the next 6 months barring major releases, and unfortunately for Sony, the PS3 will be hitting 12k-25k for the same period.

mc-weekly-line-65.jpg

Rolf NB

PantherLotus said:
Those are totals from the exact same two weeks of the last two years. What do YOU notice? I notice that the Wii is tracking within 99.9% of last year's sales. The PS3 is actually losing ground, if possible, but still within 79% of last year's sales. What does that mean? It ain't good kids. It means that both consoles are tracking EXTREMELY close to last year's totals, and last year was an unmitigated disaster for the PS3. This year is looking no different at all. Perhaps we'll see a GearBump (tm) later this year.
Do you actually believe this yourself? You have the full data right in front of you, and yet you ignore it and prefer to draw conclusions from your arbitrary if not biased selection of two weeks. Oh I wonder why. In case you didn't notice, you are wrong.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
bcn-ron said:
Do you actually believe this yourself? You have the full data right in front of you, and yet you ignore it and prefer to draw conclusions from your arbitrary if not biased selection of two weeks. Oh I wonder why. In case you didn't notice, you are wrong.

ooooh, did sales hurt your feelings? :( boo hooo. you're in the wrong thread if you can't hear the truth about how bad sony is doing. if it means you're going to kill yourself the next time bad news comes out, i would avoid sales threads for the next year or so. or maybe get some help.

the data stands on its own. if you have a different interpretation of the data, by all means, let's hear it...but not your flimsy attempt at attacking my credibility. Or, perhaps you could look at the past 65 media create threads and try to find holes in my ability.

bcn-ron said:
WTF@PS3 sales slowing down so much after having such a strong January. Its YTD is 25% higher than at the same point last year, but its weekly sales are 27% lower. That despite it having so many more games, and a much better price. It makes no sense.

edit: this might be Japan's reaction to the removal of backwards-compatibility. The recent good performance could have been a bubble caused by the selling-off of backwards-compatible models. The problem with that theory is that the sales of PS2 hardware are even weaker.

I don't understand your "sales are higher, but they're lower".

Do you mean they're lower this week compared to this comparable week last year? Using the word 'weekly" doesn't imply that.

Confused.

felipeko

ComputerNerd said:
I don't understand your "sales are higher, but they're lower".

Do you mean they're lower this week compared to this comparable week last year? Using the word 'weekly" doesn't imply that.

Confused.
The YTD is 25% higher, to the same time last year.

This week is 27% lower, to the same time last year.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
ethelred said:
It's hard to put a number on failure.
Fair enough, but one failure was still bigger then the other - so can you tell me which one magic number man? :)

jarrod said:
...and really, that's about it on the schedule currently.
Isn't the port of that Namco musical PS2 RPG also in March? That might have a chance for 50+ too.

yankeeforever2 said:
A mint Green PSP, that sounds ugly.....
I actually thought it looked good - the Slim colors so far have all been chosen much better then Fat (even when they are the same "shade").
They are also using it to promote one of those NDS non-games for girls ("My stylist" or something along those lines), that also comes out this week. Anyone want to take bets it will outsell Patapon's bombastic first week? :p

Rolf NB

PantherLotus said:
ooooh, did sales hurt your feelings? :( boo hooo. you're in the wrong thread if you can't hear the truth about how bad sony is doing. if it means you're going to kill yourself the next time bad news comes out, i would avoid sales threads for the next year or so. or maybe get some help.

the data stands on its own. if you have a different interpretation of the data, by all means, let's hear it...but not your flimsy attempt at attacking my credibility. Or, perhaps you could look at the past 65 media create threads and try to find holes in my ability.
I've already posted it. PS3 YTD is 25% above the same period last year, yet the week is 27% down. January was very strong. After DMC4, it started dropping for some reason. IOW it is most certainly not tracking just like last year. Anyone who doesn't start his/her analysis by discarding every data point that looks good for the PS3 can see that, credible or otherwise.

bcn-ron said:
I've already posted it. PS3 YTD is 25% above the same period last year, yet the week is 27% down. January was very strong. After DMC4, it started dropping for some reason. IOW it is most certainly not tracking just like last year. Anyone who doesn't start his/her analysis by discarding every data point that looks good for the PS3 can see that, credible or otherwise.

The PS3 could very well end this year in Japan YTD similar to 2007's YTD.

I may be wrong, but I think it hit 14K earlier this year than last year. There are more games out this year than last, and a cheaper price (but I don't think that's affecting much in Japan). That could counter-balance lower between-big-game weeks.

I don't know though. Just guessing. It's only February after all. But that 14K number seems ominous.

botticus

bcn-ron said:
If price cuts, new colors, and high profile games were released every month, then Sony would be doing spectacularly.

The weekly sales are lower because, until we see otherwise, the price cuts and other factors did not have a sustained effect on the sales. And before all the bumps it was riding during the holidays, weekly sales were lower than last January. That explains your higher YTD, but lower weeklies.

Top Bottom