• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys Community Thread | "Do you know the name Adol Christin?"

no mere human girl will ever reach his standard. =P

ZLR3Y3Q.png

Isha: soyouretellingmetheresachance =p

A little upsetting to realize
she and her sister returned to stone to safeguard the Black Pearl.

That scene in Ys Seven where Adol
swore to break Tia from her cruel destiny and destroy a motherfucking god ( granted, it's like Tuesday to him at that point )
really felt amplified in consideration of that. The player in me felt like Adol
had a moment of recollection back over the time when he could not save Feena from her fate of forever guarding the Black Pearl
and thus activated his NOPE GODSLAYER MODE ACTIVATED.

In the end,
he still failed to save the person, even though he severed the cycle, but alas. Only more reason to continue his godslaying island-to-island.

kuroshiki

ZLR3Y3Q.png

Isha: soyouretellingmetheresachance =p

That scene in Ys Seven where Adol
swore to break Tia from her cruel destiny and destroy a motherfucking god ( granted, it's like Tuesday to him at that point )
really felt amplified in consideration of that. The player in me felt like Adol
had a moment of recollection back over the time when he could not save Feena from her fate of forever guarding the Black Pearl
and thus activated his NOPE GODSLAYER MODE ACTIVATED.

In the end,
he still failed to save the person, even though he severed the cycle, but alas. Only more reason to continue his godslaying island-to-island.

AHhQMwS.jpg

Well granted, Orha from 6 is probably the only one that has the slightest chance. She looks A LOT LIKE Feena. =P

jb1234

Oath in Felghana was the first Ys game I played (aside from Wanderers from Ys waaaaaaay back in the day) and I quickly fell in love with it, to the point where it eclipsed all the other games in the series I played immediately after.

But really, it was just a perfect combination of factors. I was playing the game simultaneously with a close friend of mine so we could share in the experience, admiring how tough (but fair) the game was, how great the music sounded and just everything about it. It's my favorite gaming memory of all time (and he concurs).

I played Origin next and it was also good but just not *as* good. I went through most of the rest in short order. The only ones I haven't played are V (which I tried and disliked) and Celceta (as I don't have a Vita).

Noogy

Amazing thread. Ys Book I & II (TG-CD) is my favorite game of all time, and sadly I never played anything past the fantastic PC-Engine version of Ys IV. I'm hoping to catch up on all the remakes and new sequels later this year.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I did my first playthrough of Oath in Felghana on Nightmare on the PSP version. That was brutal, I'm glad you could reduce the difficulty for boss fights, because I don't think I'd ever have beaten the final boss without that.
Anyway, I'm now playing the Steam version on Normal and I must say, this game can still buy quite challenging at times, especially the standard enemies. I didn't remember the save points being so far apart. The bosses however are so much easier, the worst attacks never come.
But wasn't there an item to regain health by standing still in this? I'm already through the mountains and I'm worried I missed it.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I did my first playthrough of Oath in Felghana on Nightmare on the PSP version. That was brutal, I'm glad you could reduce the difficulty for boss fights, because I don't think I'd ever have beaten the final boss without that.
Anyway, I'm now playing the Steam version on Normal and I must say, this game can still buy quite challenging at times, especially the standard enemies. I didn't remember the save points being so far apart. The bosses however are so much easier, the worst attacks never come.
But wasn't there an item to regain health by standing still in this? I'm already through the mountains and I'm worried I missed it.

IIRC the PSP had you retry from the room you died in, rather than sending you back to the save point.

fedexpeon

Banned
Adol is one of the rarest MC that I love playing as.
The guy is so bland, and badass at the same time.
But I love that though since it allows the player to be represented as Adol instead.
And when they introduced Ys 7 new system, the series got a whole lot better, and Ys: Celceta proved that.
The future for Ys as a whole looks very promising after the release of Celceta ...Now need a next gen console release for Ys yo >.>

Tizoc

I don't think I'd ever call Adol 'bland'. He's just a cool dude who happens to be chosen to kick demon and evil gods assess. He and Dogi are def. the best drinking buddies you could ever hang out with.

jdkluv

That's not how you spell Ys III.

Ys III's soundtrack is indeed awesome (although the boss themes are pretty weak save for The Strongest Foe and maybe Chop!!), but Ys IV has objectively speaking the best soundtrack in the entire series. Almost 60 original tracks long, and every single one is SO GOOD... One of the cornerstones of video game music IMO.

The Dawn of Ys (J.D.K. Special ver.)
Field (J.D.K. Special ver.)
Karna (Perfect Collection Vol.1)
Broken Hourglass (J.D.K. Special Part 2 ver.)
Battle #58 (PCE ver.)
Lava Area ~ A Kiss from Eldeel (J.D.K. Special ver.)
The Great Forest of Celceta (Falcom Special Box 93 ver.)
A Great Ordeal (PCE ver.)
Burning Sword (Perfect Collection Vol.2)
Leeza (J.D.K. Special ver.)
Walking the Path of Legend (PCE ver.)
Eldeel (J.D.K. Special Part 2 ver.)
Valley of Quicksand (Perfect Collection Vol.2)
Crimson Wings (J.D.K. Special ver.)
The best version of Tower of the Shadow of Death ever conceived (Perfect Collection Vol.2)
Theme of Adol 1993 (J.D.K. Special ver.)
Harlequin's Temptation (Perfect Collection Vol.3)
Quickening of the Ancient City (Perfect Collection Vol.3)
The Ancient City Surfaces (PCE ver.)
Tower (MotS exclusive) (J.D.K. Special ver.)
In the Fires of Ignition (PCE ver.)
A New Beginning (J.D.K. Special Part 2)

It doesn't get much better than this. Seriously damn near perfect.

dtg

Neo Member
I saw Ys Origin on Steam and completely discounted it. Holy shit this game is awesome. It's like Zelda but not
shitty
. I'm playing every other game in the series besides this one after I'm finished. I shouldn't have slept on this series.

Yunica plays like Adol, Hugo plays like a run 'n gun (like Contra) in 3D.

Best character is the hidden one -- such a blast to play with!

I concur. When I want to replay Origins, if there is one character I'm going to go with, it's the third character.

Is it recommended to play I+II before Origins?

At the very least I would play the first game before Origins. A big part of the first game (for me, anyway) is this sense of mystery of the land you are exploring and Origins literally explains all of it in the opening sequence.

Zhao_Yun

Thanks for the fast replies guys.
Will buy I+II Chronicles then before I play Origin. Not sure whether to pick it up on Steam or on PSN for the Vita....

Thanks for the fast replies guys.
Will buy I+II Chronicles then before I play Origin. Not sure whether to pick it up on Steam or on PSN for the Vita....
Go Steam for Chronicles/Ark/Oath/Origin (assuming Ark is put up, eventually) and PSP/Vita for Seven and Celceta.

Zhao_Yun

I assume you got a controller for your PC if you're considering Steam.

I do. Not really used to mouse and keyboard controls.

Go Steam for Chronicles/Ark/Oath/Origin (assuming Ark is put up, eventually) and PSP/Vita for Seven and Celceta.

The Steam versions of Chronicles and Oath seem to be slightly superior on the technical level but I am more inclined to buy the PSN Versions for the portability at the moment. Will probably double-dip when the steam versions go on sale.

The Steam versions of Chronicles and Oath seem to be slightly superior on the technical level but I am more inclined to buy the PSN Versions for the portability at the moment. Will probably double-dip when the steam versions go on sale.
Chronicles PSP is fine, but W-Rush in Oath PSP really screws up every boss fight where it's available.

In Oath, you have a power meter, when it fills up you can "Rush" which speeds up your actions, halves damage you take and increases the standard combo from three to six.

In the PSP version, there's a "W-Rush" which does the above PLUS heals you for about half your health bar AND allows you to end with a massive damage super attack. It basically makes all boss battles simple and exploitable, which is a shame because the boss battles in standard Oath are (for the most part) ridiculously well designed and balanced.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I have decided to buy Ark of Napishtim as it's the only Ys on PC that I haven't played yet, but I have a question for anyone who has bought any of Falcom's recent "updated for Windows 8" boxed games directly from them. They haven't started employing any nutty copy protection have they? I heard, at least, the Chinese version of Zero no Kiseki had some absolutely nightmarish DRM. I haven't seen any mention of it on the product page, but it made me a little wary.

Holykael1

Banned
I have decided to buy Ark of Napishtim as it's the only Ys on PC that I haven't played yet, but I have a question for anyone who has bought any of Falcom's recent "updated for Windows 8" boxed games directly from them. They haven't started employing any nutty copy protection have they? I heard, at least, the Chinese version of Zero no Kiseki had some absolutely nightmarish DRM. I haven't seen any mention of it on the product page, but it made me a little wary.

Where did you get it from? I would love to import the big box PC Ys games from Japan.

Psxphile

I'm only aware of the fact that you need the original disc to run the game. Also, I think you should be aware that the english patch that's currently out there is apparently only compatible up to the Windows Vista version. Since Falcom updates the game files every time they release a new compatibility version, there might be an issue getting the patch to work. Maybe some one else here more familiar with the process could verify this.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I remember the first Ys game back on the TG16. Good times and the start of a beautiful and long relationship lol.

Insane when you see how old the series is. Not to mention nice that it hasnt gone and self destructed unlike others.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Where did you get it from? I would love to import the big box PC Ys games from Japan.

Straight from Falcom. They do ship internationally if you drop them an email.

I'm only aware of the fact that you need the original disc to run the game. Also, I think you should be aware that the english patch that's currently out there is apparently only compatible up to the Windows Vista version. Since Falcom updates the game files every time they release a new compatibility version, there might be an issue getting the patch to work. Maybe some one else here more familiar with the process could verify this.

I'm fine with playing in Japanese. Thanks for the heads up though. :)

Aeana

No, they don't use DRM. The Chinese version of ZnK was not developed by Falcom, either.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
The only woman that Adol ever loved was Feena. That's canon.

And this is the only explanation why Adol was so... 'without feeling' to all those women who basically threw themselves at him. For the love of god, his lover is mother fucking GODDESS. no mere human girl will ever reach his standard. =P

Adol x Feena OTP~

I agree with this post wholeheartedly ;)

Also, hopefully Falcom reveals more of their new Ys(?) title soon.

Ys III's soundtrack is indeed awesome (although the boss themes are pretty weak save for The Strongest Foe and maybe Chop!!), but Ys IV has objectively speaking the best soundtrack in the entire series. Almost 60 original tracks long, and every single one is SO GOOD... One of the cornerstones of video game music IMO.

It doesn't get much better than this. Seriously damn near perfect.

1) You list a bunch of Ys IV music and don't have Sanctuary of the Sun, clearly you are just posing as a fan.

2) Ys III/OiF just can't be beat. Bad boss music?

Beasts Black as Night (OiF) I mean, come ON!

Other selections from the greatest Ys soundtrack of all time:

A Premonition: Styx (PCE)
Shock of the Death God (PCE)
Be Careful (PCE)
Illburns Ruins (OiF)
Chester's Theme (OiF)
Darling Elena (OiF)
Steeling the Will to Fight(OiF)
Tearful Twilight (OiF)
Valestine Castle (PCE)
Sealed Time (OiF)
Tower of Fate (PCE)

and from the Ys III Super Arrange Version just because:

Wanderers from Ys (Seriously, this version is AMAZING, the Spanish trumpets alone are epic.)

Ys IV, as with pretty much every Ys game has some amazing tunes, and I loved them, hell I bought the Perfect Collections back in the 1990s, (Still sore they were stolen, years later). But Ys III is perfect. The action tunes are at their most epic, and the slower, more emotional stuff is all pitch perfect. The core compositions are all so well put together that you can listen to the PC-88 versions and they are still just as good. Seriously, the FM versions of these tunes are god-tier. It's a high mountain that Ys III sits upon, but sit upon it it does.

I'll end this with something I think that we can all agree on:

Memories of Celceta butchered Ys IV's soundtrack.

Holykael1

Banned
Agreed, but it had a couple(like, literally a couple) of good songs, namely Ancient City.

I disagree completely, Ys Memories of Celceta has a badass OST. The only one I find superior in Dawn of Ys is the opening.

Straight from Falcom. They do ship internationally if you drop them an email.
I'm fine with playing in Japanese. Thanks for the heads up though. :)

I have no clue how to order from them, does the email have to be in Japanese? Could you please send me a PM explaining how to buy from them, if it's not too much to ask for ofc.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I have no clue how to order from them, does the email have to be in Japanese? Could you please send me a PM explaining how to buy from them, if it's not too much to ask for ofc.

Yeah, sorry. They actually have instructions in English here. About halfway down the page. Make sure to list the item number (商品番号 in the product page) and use simple English in the email.

I disagree completely, Ys Memories of Celceta has a badass OST. The only one I find superior in Dawn of Ys is the opening.

I don't mean the arrangements per se, they were generally fine (Except Theme of Adol), I mean literally butchering the OST in that you have a game that is probably 2x as long but it has about half of the tracks of the original title upon which it was based. The best tracks in Ys IV were left on the cutting room floor.

Music in Memories was reused in different dungeons. That doesn't happen in an Ys game, there were only two tracks for the overworld, again, that should NOT happen. Ys IV, while having the weakest OST out of the original 4 games, is still an amazing piece of work on the soundtrack side.

Celceta has 35 tracks, Ys IV had over 60, Falcom left out more tracks from Ys IV than they actually used. They hacked it up and threw away some of the best parts.

Missing include:

Karna's theme
Leeza's theme
Temple of the Sun
Crimson Wings
Field
Bronze District

It's kind of the ANTI Oath in Felghana soundtrack wise. I still don't know WHAT they were thinking.

Better answer above, so removing.

Top Bottom