• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Sun & Moon |OT2| Calling for help! · · · – – – · · ·

Koren

Getting a decent shiny through chaining requires: Synchronize lead (50% chance of passing nature) and chaining over thresholds for more 31 IVs. After 30 chains iirc your pokemon will halve 4 perfect IVs, so unless you were going for a zero speed special attacker, you'll allways ideally want to bottlecap it.

Honestly, the riskiest thing from sosing is the nature not passing. Apart from hidden abilities, it's the only thing that can not be fixed.
If you want a 0 IV in speed (for trick room) or a specific HP (it's easier to get 31 than 30), it can be really hard, too...

But I agree, nature is usually the worse, especially if you need the synchronizer out at the time of the call (?). Most synchronizers aren't that nice to use during chaining, and leveling each of the useful ones is annoying.

So I guess Wonder Trade is completely random? I just send out random Pokemons and I get random ones back. It's kind of funny sometimes when you get Magikarps. Someone sent me a Popplio though which is nice since I chose Rowlet as my starter.

Strimei

So I guess Wonder Trade is completely random? I just send out random Pokemons and I get random ones back. It's kind of funny sometimes when you get Magikarps. Someone sent me a Popplio though which is nice since I chose Rowlet as my starter.

That's what it is, yes. You can get some neat stuff, you can get some common stuff.

I like to use it when trying to breed for a shiny, send out the rejects.

Izayoi

Banned
Whats the min stat for a shiny? Got a shiny slowpoke in a 20 chain, but due to the predetermined EV spread, its hard to figure out its exact values. Does it have like all IV stats at least 20 or whats the exact rule there?
Just use the IV checker in the PC. Are you post-game?

Demoli I can help if you're still in need in a little bit.

What's the consensus on Slowking? I'm running a Slowbro right now and the only difference is Slowking has more special defense, which is generally what his electric weakness could use.

I've also been thinking about running the two of them together on a team. Just kinda gauge what team your opponent is using and use the more viable one to set up trick room or calm mind.
Slowking > Slowbro

I leterally cannot think of a single situation where I would use Bro over King. Little Cup, maybe?

Looking for Link battles in this game is annoying as fuck. "Accepting battles at anytime" my ass. Everyone just turns down the battle -__-. Battle spot should have 6 v 6 options.

Izayoi

Banned
Maybe Slowbro isn't LC eligible. I've never played LC, I was just throwing it out there. I really don't think there's any reason to use him over Slowking ever.

Maybe Slowbro isn't LC eligible. I've never played LC, I was just throwing it out there. I really don't think there's any reason to use him over Slowking ever.
Slowbro has a mega and there's far more physical attackers than special ones. They have the same BSTs and Slowbro can boost its special defense with Calm Mind to make up for the deficiency compared to Slowking.

Always go Slowbro unless your team lacks a special wall and you have something against Chansey.

Izayoi

Banned
Slowbro has a mega and there's far more physical attackers than special ones. They have the same BSTs and Slowbro can boost its special defense with Calm Mind to make up for the deficiency compared to Slowking.

Always go Slowbro unless your team lacks a special wall and you have something against Chansey.
Totally forgot that the Mega was for Slowbro only... What a strange thing.

Well... it took about 15-20 tries but I finally beat the elite 4(5). This was the hardest elite 4 yet! So many dual types with varied move sets, so much confusion. I pretty much had to grind out levels and money losing to them over and over. Hala was a pain in the ass with that Bewear. Incineroar was level 81 by the time all was said and done, I hear other starters have a much easier time. He was only really good against Acerola. And random pokes here and there.

Galava

Pokémon GL is under maintenance. It is unknown if this is in preparation for the Pokémon Bank release or any new features.

w3445mo.png

Am I crazy or did they nerf the request yield? I'm getting only 8 fc for "please be my teacher".

Depends on who you're talking to. I've noticed that low-ranked VIPs barely give out any FC, while guests are consistent throughout.

I also heard that guests give out lower FC if you wait a long time before talking to them, but I'm not really sure if that's true.

Regardless, I don't bother talking with guests unless I have at least a "decent" Festival Plaza fortune.

Izayoi

Banned
Well... it took about 15-20 tries but I finally beat the elite 4(5). This was the hardest elite 4 yet! So many dual types with varied move sets, so much confusion. I pretty much had to grind out levels and money losing to them over and over. Hala was a pain in the ass with that Bewear. Incineroar was level 81 by the time all was said and done, I hear other starters have a much easier time. He was only really good against Acerola. And random pokes here and there.
Do you only have one high level 'mon?

Theorymon

RnMJMlj.png

OMG I WON BATTLE SPOT SPECIAL :D

The team I used for most of the laddering was Magearna / Incineroar / Lunala / Zygarde / Tapu Bulu / Mandibuzz, but the improved version of the team I used near the end used Celesteela and Snorlax over Tapu Bulu and Mandibuzz. I'll probably post a full write up of the team later, but still, happy to have won a ladder in the first season!

Also adding on to the other question: was that your only high-level Pokemon? Did you also have a hard time at the Aether House battles? I've been going really slow through the game, but that part and the beginning of Poni Island really caught me off guard. I expect to have a hard time at the Elite 4 as well.

casiopao

Guys anyone played ORAS? I am looking for some kind folks to breed a Venipede with Aqua Tail and Speed Boost Hidden Ability here. I wanted to build a competitive Poke there.^^

Galava

So yeah, the new season has officially begun.

detail_es_30df9991-e627-4eee-a044-4e1169b35615.jpg

We can use all pokémon from the national dex (Mewtwo, Mew, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Celebi, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Jirachi, Deoxys, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus, Victini, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Keldeo, Meloetta, Genesect, Xerneas, Yveltal, Zygarde, Diancie, Hoopa, Volcanion, Cosmog, Cosmoem, Solgaleo, Lunala, Necrozma y Magearna are excluded or restricted), so the Bank update should drop anytime.

The team I used for most of the laddering was Magearna / Incineroar / Lunala / Zygarde / Tapu Bulu / Mandibuzz, but the improved version of the team I used near the end used Celesteela and Snorlax over Tapu Bulu and Mandibuzz. I'll probably post a full write up of the team later, but still, happy to have won a ladder in the first season!

Whoa, congrats!

Cool, I'd be interested to see your team.

I'm hoping to use Lunala one day. Maybe Magerna as well.

LordRaptor

Pokémarts have a unique dialogue for birthdays, huh? And the music changes. Nice touch.

Heh, I thought my game had crashed when I entered a pokecenter on my birthday because everything froze for a second, and I was ready to RAEG not having saved for awhile

Red

Heh, I thought my game had crashed when I entered a pokecenter on my birthday because everything froze for a second, and I was ready to RAEG not having saved for awhile
It was right after I picked up the shiny charm, so I thought it was for filling the pokédex. Nice surprise anyway.

Seems like you don't get stamps for completing the island dex for islands you haven't been to yet.

Here's the Wonder team heading into Aether Paradise:

It kind of feels like I broke the game.

We can use all pokémon from the national dex (Mewtwo, Mew, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Celebi, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Jirachi, Deoxys, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus, Victini, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Keldeo, Meloetta, Genesect, Xerneas, Yveltal, Zygarde, Diancie, Hoopa, Volcanion, Cosmog, Cosmoem, Solgaleo, Lunala, Necrozma y Magearna are excluded or restricted), so the Bank update should drop anytime.
Nice, I may compete this time around!

Has there been any news about the other Mega Stones yet?

Woah great job! Highest I've gotten so far was the high 1600s on battle spot. That must have been a hell of a grind.

And about Slowking I was just thinking of running him alongside my Slowbro, if both are oblivious it gives me two walls that could both set up trick room unopposed. I'm also trying to think up an entry hazard style team but I'm not really sure how viable it is in doubles because it's only 4v4s.

Daemul

Battlespot Season 2 Regulations. Credit goes to our good friend Scries

The unreleased mega stones remain banned even though we can now use Pokebank mons.

Banned Items:-

Gardevoirite
Ampharosite
Mewtwonite X
Mewtwonite Y
Blazikenite
Medichamite
Houndoominite
Aggronite
Banettite
Tyranitarite
Abomasite
Heracronite
Mawilite
Manectite
Latiasite
Latiosite
Swampertite
Sceptilite
Altarianite
Galladite
Audinite
Steelixite
Pidgeotite
Diancite
Cameruptite
Lopunnite
Beedrillite

mjcry1.png

Brb uninstalling Pokemon Moon

RnMJMlj.png

Nice job! Do you actually get anything for placing 1st?

Battlespot Season 2 Regulations. Credit goes to our good friend Scries

The unreleased mega stones remain banned even though we can now use Pokebank mons.

Banned Items:-

Gardevoirite
Ampharosite
Mewtwonite X
Mewtwonite Y
Blazikenite
Medichamite
Houndoominite
Aggronite
Banettite
Tyranitarite
Abomasite
Heracronite
Mawilite
Manectite
Latiasite
Latiosite
Swampertite
Sceptilite
Altarianite
Galladite
Audinite
Steelixite
Pidgeotite
Diancite
Cameruptite
Lopunnite
Beedrillite

mjcry1.png

Brb uninstalling Pokemon Moon

Hilariously enough, the NPCs in Battle Royal don't have this restriction. I saw a Mega Lopunny, for instance.

Regiruler

Why are the only pokemon in the picture banned?

Do you only have one high level 'mon?

Everyone was around level 50~ or so but my team was so ineffective I had to rotate to my party a few times to find something that worked, then grinded them up. My team would have been higher if I had stuck to the same pokes most of the game but I really liked rotating my party, evolving all the different pokemon I found, etc... but that doesn't seem to be an optimal strategy for this game going into the elite 4. I remember in Ruby you'd just get Rayquaza or use a Dragon Type and sweep almost every member of the Elite 4 lol.

Marz

Can males not pass down hidden abilities? My Slowbros are all not coming out with Regenerator and the male has the ability.

Sir TapTap

Nice job! Do you actually get anything for placing 1st?

Hilariously enough, the NPCs in Battle Royal don't have this restriction. I saw a Mega Lopunny, for instance.

Hell you can get a partner with Houndoomite for multi battles. Hoping the weirdness with the mega stones is resolved along with the update. I don't like megas, but they can't just put the data in there then not let you use it the whole gen.

Demoli

The worst part of that rule set is that it most likely means that the remaining mega stone saren't coming with the bank update.

Which sucks, cause many of the remaining stones re for pokemon that really need it to ever be viable, like Lopunny, Beedrill, Pidgeot and Gardevoir.

I really hope they eventually add them in and not pidgeon-hole them into the third game.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Does breeding with 2 same type shiny pokemon increase chances of another shiny? If so, how much?

Does breeding with 2 same type shiny pokemon increase chances of another shiny? If so, how much?

No, that was only in Generation 2 when IVs determined gender and shininess. The only things that boost your chances are two Pokemon from different regions and the shiny charm.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
No, that was only in Generation 2 when IVs determined gender and shininess. The only things that boost your chances are two Pokemon from different regions and the shiny charm.

Goddarnit, everything I want to do is based on Gen 2 :p

The worst part of that rule set is that it most likely means that the remaining mega stone saren't coming with the bank update.

Which sucks, cause many of the remaining stones re for pokemon that really need it to ever be viable, like Lopunny, Beedrill, Pidgeot and Gardevoir.

I really hope they eventually add them in and not pidgeon-hole them into the third game.

Yeah it's unfortunate because Mega Beedrill was a beast. And he would only be more so this gen. I had a friend who seemed to be really fond of Mega Pidgeot too, but I never found it very viable.

Koren

Can males not pass down hidden abilities? My Slowbros are all not coming out with Regenerator and the male has the ability.

They can...but it's very low, with only a 20% chance of it being passed down.
For male + female, only the female matter (60% if she has HA, 0% if she hasn't, the fact that the male has or hasn't HA doesn't matter)

For pokémon + ditto, it's 60% in any case (male or female), assuming the non-ditto parent has the HA.

I thought the probability for male + ditto was lower in gen VI (almost sure that male + female was 0% if the female hadn't HA), but I'm not sure at all.

For Gen VII, unless the functions from the RNG hacking are wrong, I'm sure the above probabilities are correct.

For male + female, only the female matter (60% if she has HA, 0% if she hasn't, the fact that the male has or hasn't HA doesn't matter)

For pokémon + ditto, it's 60% in any case (male or female), assuming the non-ditto parent has the HA.

I thought the probability for male + ditto was lower in gen VI (almost sure that male + female was 0% if the female hadn't HA), but I'm not sure at all.

For Gen VII, unless the functions from the RNG hacking are wrong, I'm sure the above probabilities are correct.

Bulbapedia said:
Since Generation V, it has been possible for female Pokémon to pass down their Ability. In Pokémon Black and White, if a female Pokémon has its Hidden Ability and is bred with a male Pokémon, it has a 60% chance of passing it down. In Black 2 and White 2, a female Pokémon bred with a male Pokémon has an 80% chance of passing down its Ability slot (regardless of whether it is a Hidden Ability or not). From Generation VI onward, a female Pokémon has an 80% chance to pass down its Ability slot, regardless of whether it is bred with a male Pokémon or Ditto.

Since Generation VI, it is possible for male and genderless Pokémon to pass down their Ability. From Generation VI onward, if a male or genderless Pokémon has its Hidden Ability and is bred with Ditto, it has a 20% chance to pass down its Hidden Ability. Ditto's Ability is always irrelevant to inheritance.

Koren

Well, I read this... It may be true for Gen VI, but I'm almost sure they're not up to date with Sun/Moon.

I can't check whether the functions I'm writing are correct related to the game (I've yet to calculate my seed, I'm just checking I have the same result as other tools), but I wonder whether those tools can be wrong when many people use them. Even more when those are taken from disassembled code.

All code I've read are doing this:
- take ability of mother if female+male, of the non-ditto if ditto+anything
- if it's an hidden ability, use a 100-sided dice, and transmit the hidden ability on 41-100 (actually, 40-99 since it's 0-based)
so 60% for HA male if breed with ditto, 0% if breed with non-HA female.

It's actually too strange to not be correct, I'd say.

Top Bottom