• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

N++ |OT| Time is money

Honestly the omission of online seems the absolutely correct choice here. Focus on quality and what you can control. Don't listen to people who just want everything (and then complain loudly when everything isn't perfect).

If it sells well enough on PS4, we really hope to be able to afford to port. We're a tiny team with limited resources, so we have to make decisions carefully. Steam and Vita are on the list of possibilities, and Xbox One if they'll accept it. We can't guarantee anything, and certainly can't guarantee everything -- we just have to see how it goes.

Fingers crossed it sells well though -- we want to bring this game to lots of players.

Awesome, my fingers are crossed that this sells well!

I loved N+. In college, I played through (and completed) the co-op with my friend who passed away suddenly last year, so it holds a special place in my heart.

SerTapTap

Yeah I feel the online situation was probably a damned if you do damned if you don't thing.

Though I will say if you guys look into online multi later, ping the Duck Game dev. That game either has impossibly good netcode or is astoundingly good at hiding it. but the game was designed for online play not the other way around.

Any chance this will be ported to the Xbox 360 with online co-op?

360 specifically? Insanely low chance--ID@Xbox doesn't cover 360. Expect basically zero indie releases on 360 XBLA from now on

On the online multiplayer situation: it certainly wasn't perfect in N+ 360 but I always played the single player levels with friends. It basically gave us two chances to finish levels and that more than mitigated the lag. I just love playing co-op games with friends and would take the flawed experience to not having it.

I also loved making levels and playing them online with friends. My best friend lives in China and I'm in the US so couch co-op isn't really an option. :)

drotahorror

-Over 40 color palettes (mostly unlockable)

-A surprising amount of options including multiple colorblindness features and visibility tweaks.

Does that mean I don't have to play on white backgrounds if I don't want to? Staring at a white, bright, background for too long gives my crazy headaches.

SerTapTap

-Over 40 color palettes (mostly unlockable)

-A surprising amount of options including multiple colorblindness features and visibility tweaks.

Does that mean I don't have to play on white backgrounds if I don't want to? Staring at a white, bright, background for too long gives my crazy headaches.

The color palettes change every color in the game, there's plenty of dark on dark, bright on dark, dark on bright, bright on bright etc. You can see darker examples in the screenshot section. There's an option to randomize the color after every episode but you can turn that off.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Here's a more detailed reply from our blog about the online interactions:

Oh yeah, focusing on level sharing was 100% the right decision there. Online MP would have been a nice bonus, but level sharing is pretty much essential (even with all the levels the game comes with).

At midnight tonight, people are saying. But does the store really update at midnight? I thought it was usually in the afternoon.

It comes out at midnight in the US because that's when the pre-order copies unlock. I'm pretty sure that people who haven't pre-ordered it in the US will have to wait until the regular store update to buy it though I could be wrong.

It definitely won't be up in the EU at midnight.

stufte

Well the lack of online multiplayer sucks, but this is still a purchase for me. Maybe it'll do well and they'll add it...

Don't get me wrong I'm still buying it but share play doesn't cut it for me for online multiplayer. There's some insane lag in that much more than N+ ever had

baconcow

It comes out at midnight in the US because that's when the pre-order copies unlock. I'm pretty sure that people who haven't pre-ordered it in the US will have to wait until the regular store update to buy it though I could be wrong.

Pre-orders are also available in Canada on the PSN/SEN store. I assume they will also unlock at midnight.

Natiko

Banned
My friends and I still plan on not buying this ever since the reveal that there is no online MP. That was easily the most fun part of N+ yet this game that comes out years later doesn't have it? I'd easily take it over level sharing even considering how much they're making a point to brag about the amount of levels included by default.

Pre-orders are also available in Canada on the PSN/SEN store. I assume they will also unlock at midnight.

Yeah I meant "NA" but fucked it up. My bad.

My friends and I still plan on not buying this ever since the reveal that there is no online MP. That was easily the most fun part of N+ yet this game that comes out years later doesn't have it? I'd easily take it over level sharing even considering how much they're making a point to brag about the amount of levels included by default.

I am sorry for your loss.

----------------

The day-one patch for this looks like it's up now, 164.7MB. Get it downloaded so's you don't waste any seconds at midnight!

Meliorism

God, you people whine so much. You have one of the people responsible for the game in here, and you still say tacky remarks about your unwillingness to buy a game because of its lack of online play despite their explanation for its exclusion.

A good amount of games these days come out at midnight of release day in EU, ever since they started to update any day of the week.

JP

mare said:
...loads of stuff...
Do you know what, I'm all for this and when I say "this" I mean "all of this". I know some people really wanted online multiplayer but I just can't fault a developer who is willing to stand up and be honest about and just do what they thought was best for the game.

Not sure I'll ever get anywhere near to completing the game as I tend to be really bad at this sort of thing even though I do enjoy it but I've pre-ordered and downloaded and really looking forward to giving it a go.

Natiko

Banned
God, you people whine so much. You have one of the people responsible for the game in here, and you still say tacky remarks about your unwillingness to buy a game because of its lack of online play despite their explanation for its exclusion.
All the more reason to express my disappointment. It's not like I'm saying they made a bad game or should feel bad. They will still get plenty of purchases. For my friends and I though, co-op was by far the most enjoyable part. If your favorite part in a game was removed for the sequel don't act like you wouldn't be disappointed too.

SerTapTap

For reference, what was co op like in the prior game? Just playing the same level that was designed for single player anyway and you win as long as one of you reaches the end?

Oh, it's preorder weirdness? Really wish they could normalize when releases happen, down to the hour. Preorder or no.

A good amount of games these days come out at midnight of release day in EU, ever since they started to update any day of the week.

Yeah I recall a few tuesday games coming out in EU earlier than NA, that was kind of odd after years of wensdays

Draft

I understand why online isn't included. Still disappointing! Even if it sucks it would be fun to mess around with. I've already pre-ordred BTW and have the theme to boot so there.

BashNasty

Level sharing over laggy online co-op, all day, everyyyyyday.

Yea, it was absolutely the right decision to put in level sharing over laggy online multiplayer. It never worked properly in N+ and it was always obvious why. This game demands more precision than most, so any lag at all degrades the experience massively. People who aren't going to buy the game due to the exclusion of a feature that never really worked are crazy, but that sort of misguided entitlement is to be expected these days.

I can't wait for 11pm tonight! Bring on the sublime couch co-op!

Kinsella

Banned
Level sharing over laggy online co-op, all day, everyyyyyday.

No thanks. One of my best memories of the 360 game was party chat while playing this game with friends. Laughing at them or cheering them on. Online co-op is what made the original game so great. Without that, no matter the reason, it's not remotely the same experience. I'm going to pass.

MrS

Banned
I agree with this 100%. It's quite obvious that putting multiplayer in the game would have resulted in a lot of bad experiences which everybody would have been quick to moan about. The devs have made a hard decision but it seems right for the game.

Can't wait for the game to come out so we can talk about the game tbh
Soon!

Apologies if I'm wrong about the EU midnight release thing!

For reference, what was co op like in the prior game? Just playing the same level that was designed for single player anyway and you win as long as one of you reaches the end?

Nah, stuff like levels with switches where you could open doors on your partner's track and they could open doors on yours to progress. Or levels where one person had to complete an obstacle course while the other was in a small room trying to survive as long as possible.

Or other inventive things.

All the more reason to express my disappointment. It's not like I'm saying they made a bad game or should feel bad. They will still get plenty of purchases. For my friends and I though, co-op was by far the most enjoyable part. If your favorite part in a game was removed for the sequel don't act like you wouldn't be disappointed too.

You and your friends can still play co-op, just invite them round.

BashNasty

So I'm curious, any good roundup on the graphical improvements in N++ over N+? I've been watching videos and while N++ looks superficially similar to its predecessor, there's clearly a lot more going on with the number of enemies in each stage and the complexity of effects they're able to produce. I'd love to hear exactly what new eye candy the update in hardware enabled.

Wingus

100% buying this when it's out on the UK PSN store. Very happy with the beta, no doubt I'll be happy with this. :)

Endy MacK

Here's a more detailed reply from our blog about the online interactions:

(We’ve even had problems with latency while showing the game, at PAX last year the TVs we rented made it almost unplayable due to latency; even 100ms makes a big difference!)

I wonder what kind of TVs they rented? Does this imply that a lot of HD TVs may render this game unplayable, and you should be playing on a monitor only?

Natiko

Banned
You and your friends can still play co-op, just invite them round.
Sadly we are spread out between three cities in two neighboring states. Outside of the two that live close, everyone else is about three hours minimum away from the others. That's life I guess.

No thanks. One of my best memories of the 360 game was party chat while playing this game with friends. Laughing at them or cheering them on. Online co-op is what made the original game so great. Without that, no matter the reason, it's not remotely the same experience. I'm going to pass.

Haha yep. Laggy or not 4 player co op in N+ was hilarious party chatting with your friends. Had been looking forwards to that since the original reveal before the ps4 even officially launched. That's why I'm being vocal about my disappointment. I'd hope enough people are vocal and they make an effort to patch it in. I don't get why a level editor is such a big deal when there's already thousands of levels

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Honestly the omission of online seems the absolutely correct choice here. Focus on quality and what you can control. Don't listen to people who just want everything (and then complain loudly when everything isn't perfect).
I humbly disagree that it was the correct choice for everyone, because the online multi was the most fun I had playing N+, and the online multi that was dropped in N++ was 10x better according to the dev. I also had way more fun playing N++'s multiplayer at the trade shows than the SP. I eventually wouldn't even go to the station unless there were other people playing.

However, it might have been the correct choice from the developer's perspective, because it's possible that the mode was unpopular compared to other content. The wants of the few have to be weighed against the wants of the many.

I'm going to have to try to convince some casual gamers to join my sessions, so I hope there are plenty of co-op levels designed with that type of skill gap in mind. But competitive multi is not practical anymore for me. I would easily beat everyone I know. And that's a shame.

chur

This. All my hype is gone. Even when it was a lagfest mess N+ was just plain fun.

chur

You can invite 1 online player in shareplay, so the 3 other players would have to be there locally for 4P co-op.
That won't be possible for me but I encourage anyone able to arrange this to go through with it because it is so much fun.

Top Bottom