• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4/Pro HDR + PSVR Verified Solutions

FHIZ

It's nice that they're putting out such clear messaging about how this solves the PSVR/HDR issues. Even in the original thread we had conflicting reports about the sewell switch(most likely cabling issues). Really muddied the waters, and left a lot of people too unsure to try solving this problem.

I was having problems with one of the swell I think part of the miss information was RGB vs YUV. My PS4 Pro would automatically spit out RGB to my Vizio that was ready for HDR, and would switch to YUV when HDR started running. I since then got a different splitter that apparently did the same thing and had the same problem just getting no signal out of the PS4 to the TV. Then did the last thing I could think of and just force my PS4 to spit out YUV at all times (I was under the impression that I'd have the sort of washed out look at all times that the PS4 menu will have when you press the home button out an HDR game) and sure enough, it worked. I'll have to go back and retest the swell switch to see accepting an RGB signal was the problem.

Fox1304

Is there a definitive "short extension cable" solution?
I'm open to switching cables when I want to play a HDR game, but I'd rather not destroy the back of my PS4Pro HDMI Output if possible :D

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
I was having problems with one of the swell I think part of the miss information was RGB vs YUV. My PS4 Pro would automatically spit out RGB to my Vizio that was ready for HDR, and would switch to YUV when HDR started running. I since then got a different splitter that apparently did the same thing and had the same problem just getting no signal out of the PS4 to the TV. Then did the last thing I could think of and just force my PS4 to spit out YUV at all times (I was under the impression that I'd have the sort of washed out look at all times that the PS4 menu will have when you press the home button out an HDR game) and sure enough, it worked. I'll have to go back and retest the swell switch to see accepting an RGB signal was the problem.
Set up PS4pro on RGB only and I haven't had any issues with my swell switch. The HDCP is the culprit in the PS4 signal dropouts. On RGB only the PS4 will go to YUV automatically in HDR games, no need to select YUV manually as it would be a lower quality signal.

Cyriades

Got mine today, It came a day early.

The only thing I found is when you switch back to PS4 do a restart of the console while in PSVR. It will save you the headache not being able to see restart if the HDMI handshake does not work.

vpance

I got the Sewell switch and occasionally I lose signal for a second and get flashes on the bottom of the screen. Using an Amazon Basics high speed 2.0 HDMI from the Pro to the switch, and some other existing cables I had around for the outputs.

Zurick

Banned
Picked up Sewell for Switch method. Works like a charm. Using 2 Amazon basic cables, the one boxed with the vr, and a high quality hdmi 2.0 cable.

I got the Sewell switch and occasionally I lose signal for a second and get flashes on the bottom of the screen. Using an Amazon Basics high speed 2.0 HDMI from the Pro to the switch, and some other existing cables I had around for the outputs.
Use an HDMI Certified cable, if you continue to have of these handshake issues. Blue Jean Cables always come highly recommended. I've been using Monoprice's Certified cables with this very same setup without issue.

vpance

Use an HDMI Certified cable, if you continue to have of these handshake issues. Blue Jean Cables always come highly recommended. I've been using Monoprice's Certified cables with this very same setup without issue.

Actually as it turns out it was because of RGB output. I've set it to YUV420 and there's no problems anymore. Unless the switch really is capable of passing 422 I think my cables are fine.

Edit: now I see above some people are able to use RGB with this. So maybe it is my cables then.

igotpaid

I bought the Ibis switch and installed it last night. Works perfect to switch between inputs to use VR or jump back to HDR without unplugging anything. Thanks for this thread!

Markew001

Purchased Ibis Switch and a couple of 3ft Amazon cables. At first everything seemed fine but after maybe 30 minutes picture went out for about 10 seconds. Worked fine after that for a couple of hours before doing the same thing. Both during critical moments of Rocket League matches! Faulty Switch or should I have not gone with Amazon cables?

TBH, I'm running 2 HDMIs:
1 goes from the PS4 to the AV
1 goes from PS4 to PSVR box to AV

Basically I just swap the cable in back of the PS4 then put the AV on the correct input. Unfortunately I can't do what I had wanted and used the second HDMI out on the AV to pass through the PSVR as that makes it not work (extra processor in the chain, even if image processing is turned off in the AV), as this would have made things much easier.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Purchased Ibis Switch and a couple of 3ft Amazon cables. At first everything seemed fine but after maybe 30 minutes picture went out for about 10 seconds. Worked fine after that for a couple of hours before doing the same thing. Both during critical moments of Rocket League matches! Faulty Switch or should I have not gone with Amazon cables?
Amazon cables didn't work for me. Use certified HDMI cables. Plus HDCP has issues with the PS4 Pro, disable if you can and select RGB output.

TBH, I'm running 2 HDMIs:
1 goes from the PS4 to the AV
1 goes from PS4 to PSVR box to AV

Basically I just swap the cable in back of the PS4 then put the AV on the correct input. Unfortunately I can't do what I had wanted and used the second HDMI out on the AV to pass through the PSVR as that makes it not work (extra processor in the chain, even if image processing is turned off in the AV), as this would have made things much easier.

I'd recommend using a coupler(if you're not already) to create an additional connection point for switching back-and-forth. Repeated dis/connection of cables may wear/damage the HDMI port on your PS4.

vpance

I haven't been able to get RGB working with the Ibis switch, no matter the cable, including the Monoprice premium cables. I have a Samsung KS9800.

One last combo I haven't been able to try yet are two 3ft cables to and from the switch, as I've only got one right now. I noticed using at least one 3ft cable managed to keep an RGB output stable for a longer time.

Markew001

Amazon cables didn't work for me. Use certified HDMI cables. Plus HDCP has issues with the PS4 Pro, disable if you can and select RGB output.

Just wanted to pop back in and say that all I did was disable HDCP. Left cables alone, did not switch output to RGB. I've had zero problems since. Not a single black screen on TV or PSVR. Thank you for the suggestion!

Has Sony acknowledged this problem, and/or said anything about fixing it? I'm not even going to consider a PSVR until it is officially resolved.

Has Sony acknowledged this problem, and/or said anything about fixing it? I'm not even going to consider a PSVR until it is officially resolved.

I think they acknowledged it right away but there is zero word on them offering a fix. I think the only fix would be a replacement box that can handle HDR.

I think they acknowledged it right away but there is zero word on them offering a fix. I think the only fix would be a replacement box that can handle HDR.

Yeah, that's basically what I want to see. Seems like they should've done a silent revision by now, and offered a replacement program. Maybe it's related to the stock problems in Q1.

They've not acknowledged the black outs as far as I'm aware, that needs addressing as whilst they can claim the system doesn't pass HDR, there is no way they can sweep random black screens under the carpet.

MikeBison

Nice! Been wanted a solution to this for a while and the old thread with solutions was making my brain hurt.

Fox1304

Currently using the "90cm" extender that allows to swap cables. It's not perfect, but it's manageable. Hope the next box will be HDR-proof.

Varshes

Thinking of getting the Ibis, anyone try this with a receiver? Would I need the second HDMI cable to go into the receiver as well or would I still plug that directly into the TV?

Thinking of getting the Ibis, anyone try this with a receiver? Would I need the second HDMI cable to go into the receiver as well or would I still plug that directly into the TV?

The connection from the PU to the TV shouldn't matter.
Direct to TV is generally best, but If your receiver currently passes through the HDR signal, then it should* be possible to keep that through the receiver. The more connections you have in the line though may impact bandwidth/signal quality.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
So moving into my new house next Monday (E3 Day One), how many of you guys think Sony will speak about a new PU box then and think I should hold off on my Splitter box purchase?

Pejo

So moving into my new house next Monday (E3 Day One), how many of you guys think Sony will speak about a new PU box then and think I should hold off on my Splitter box purchase?

I'm waiting until after E3 before doing any purchasing, just in case. I'd probably spend ~$50 for just a new box that could handle HDR. If it's more expensive I guess I'll finally do something from this thread. Though, I wonder how much HDR is even going to matter to me in the long run.

I'm waiting until after E3 before doing any purchasing, just in case. I'd probably spend ~$50 for just a new box that could handle HDR. If it's more expensive I guess I'll finally do something from this thread. Though, I wonder how much HDR is even going to matter to me in the long run.

If it doesn't happen I'm going to finally just get 2 cheap couplers and attach one to the receiver and the other to the PSVR (which is already attached out to the receiver on another input) so i can flip the cable there. I got tired of unplugging it from the PS4 itself since I can't easily see the back of the console. I've got enough spare 18gbps cables now I can do this more easily.

mckmas8808

I'd pay up to $100 lol for that lol.

mitchman

Gold Member

I'm 99% certain they will announce one, and maybe even announce an upgraded headset with HDR support too.

Varshes

The connection from the PU to the TV shouldn't matter.
Direct to TV is generally best, but If your receiver currently passes through the HDR signal, then it should* be possible to keep that through the receiver. The more connections you have in the line though may impact bandwidth/signal quality.

Thanks! My receiver does support HDR but I might wait until after E3 like some folks here just in case. If nothing is announced, I'll be ordering the Ibis.

mckmas8808

Looks like our dreams didn't come true. So I'll be testing the Ibis with 3 of their HDMI premium cables this weekend.

thenameDS

Just picked up PSVR yesterday. Shame on the no HDR support for the breakout box. Looks like I'll be going with the switch method as it makes the most sense in my setup, will be spending Saturday morning hiding and routing cables.

mckmas8808

Just picked up PSVR yesterday. Shame on the no HDR support for the breakout box. Looks like I'll be going with the switch method as it makes the most sense in my setup, will be spending Saturday morning hiding and routing cables.

Let us know how that goes.

thenameDS

Let us know how that goes.
So far not good. I'm in the UK and I can't seem to find an HDR compatible bi-directional switch.

EDIT: I'm blind, found one on amazon that supports HDR according to reviews. I'll order it and hopefully set everything up this weekend and see how it goes.

mckmas8808

So far not good. I'm in the UK and I can't seem to find an HDR compatible bi-directional switch.

EDIT: I'm blind, found one on amazon that supports HDR according to reviews. I'll order it and hopefully set everything up this weekend and see how it goes.

So how did it go for ya?

mckmas8808

Welp, the IBIS switch didn't work for me. I couldn't get 4K+HDR on the PS4 Pro and I didn't get any image on the PSVR Headset. I took the switch out of the equation and 4K+HDR worked and the headset shows a picture. I just have to swap the cables that's plugged into the PS4 Pro. And the HDMI cables I have are from Sewell too. The 25 foot cable works perfectly if I remove the switch.

I will probably just buy a female/female HDMI connector now. :(

mckmas8808

What does the "break out" box do that's bundled with PSVR?

It displays what people see on the headset to the TV. It's good for showing people what you can see, but it's also used for multi player games with the VR player vs. a 2nd person that's not wearing the headset.

What does the "break out" box do that's bundled with PSVR?

It allows a completely different image to be displayed on the TV, as apposed the what the headset wearer sees, for asymetric multiplayer.
It can also process the warped stereo images for the VR headset, to de-warp one of the images to display on the screen, for spectators or some other MP functions.

It also processes some of the 3D audio for the headset wearer.

Welp, the IBIS switch didn't work for me. I couldn't get 4K+HDR on the PS4 Pro and I didn't get any image on the PSVR Headset. I took the switch out of the equation and 4K+HDR worked and the headset shows a picture. I just have to swap the cables that's plugged into the PS4 Pro. And the HDMI cables I have are from Sewell too. The 25 foot cable works perfectly if I remove the switch.

I will probably just buy a female/female HDMI connector now. :(

Out of curiosity, what length cables were you using when the switch was connected? And where were each in the chain?
You've mentioned a 25foot cable, which seems quite long to me, is it possible in your setup to use shorter cables?
The quality and length of cable, as well as the number of connections will impact the signal quality. There have been several people who've had to swap around cables, due to quality.

mckmas8808

Out of curiosity, what length cables were you using when the switch was connected? And where were each in the chain?
You've mentioned a 25foot cable, which seems quite long to me, is it possible in your setup to use shorter cables?
The quality and length of cable, as well as the number of connections will impact the signal quality. There have been several people who've had to swap around cables, due to quality.

I had a 1 foot HDMI cable, a 6 foot HDMI cable, and a 25 foot HDMI cable.

- I had the 1 foot cable plugged into the PS4 Pro -> IBIS Switch
- From the IBIS Switch I had a 6 foot cable going from it to my Denon Receiver.
- From the Receiver I had a 25 foot cable running from it to my Samsung KS8500 TV.

Keep in mind all of this works when I remove the IBIS Switch and replace it with a $5 HDMI female/female coupler.

I just wanted to clarify something, but these HDMI switches don't add input lag right?

I figure they won't since they aren't processing any data like a TV would, but I just want to make sure.

Bikram

Not sure if it is covered in any other threads but I don't get any 3d signal from my ps4 as well when using the breakout box. Is there any graceful solution to this? Ps4 is my 3d blu ray player so it's really a pita to switch hdmi cables.

I had a 1 foot HDMI cable, a 6 foot HDMI cable, and a 25 foot HDMI cable.

- I had the 1 foot cable plugged into the PS4 Pro -> IBIS Switch
- From the IBIS Switch I had a 6 foot cable going from it to my Denon Receiver.
- From the Receiver I had a 25 foot cable running from it to my Samsung KS8500 TV.

Keep in mind all of this works when I remove the IBIS Switch and replace it with a $5 HDMI female/female coupler.

I expect the switch would need additional connections internally, which the female/female coupler shouldn't have, and each connection is going to weaken the signal.

I recently upgraded from PS4 to PS4 Pro, and I had to replace cheap cables in my setup that previously worked fine at 1080p, with better ones(nicked from other devices) to get my splitter working again with UHD. In my setup, I have 9 feet tops in cable between PS4 and TV, but cutting down cable distance is not always possible.

If you wanted to try again to get the switch working, I'd try to test with other shorter cables, just to see if you can get the signal through with the shortest connection possible. Just to verify your switch is working, before looking at spending money on new beefy cables.

Not sure if it is covered in any other threads but I don't get any 3d signal from my ps4 as well when using the breakout box. Is there any graceful solution to this? Ps4 is my 3d blu ray player so it's really a pita to switch hdmi cables.
I haven't tried 3D blu-rays through the breakout box, but since the PSVR headset supports it, I'd be surprised if if was responsible for not passing it through. The switches/splitters discussed here should be passing the signal through direct to the TV.

I just wanted to clarify something, but these HDMI switches don't add input lag right?
I've not noticed any with the splitter I'm using. It shouldn't.

I figure they won't since they aren't processing any data like a TV would, but I just want to make sure.

I've not noticed any with the splitter I'm using. It shouldn't.
Correct, there is no data processing. These switches effectively act as couplers. Any input lag that might be introduced would be minuscule, at best.

Top Bottom