• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K14 in real life...Yes this really happens in the game.

Yes, yes you are.

You wanna play like a kid? Go ahead, ruin the game and the online experience for others mashing the square/x button to get the steal. That's idiotic IMO. That's not how it's supposed to be in a Basketball Simulator.

It's a desperate measure to prevent people from exploiting the game I guess.
Its not a basketball simulator though if you limit the amount of steals someone can attempt. Does the NBA call for intentional foul after 3 swipes? no

A lot of those are user errors. Like this for example.
lolnba2kpsdzg.gif

The inbounding one had me chuckling though.

I'ts all in the gameplay style you take. Most people mash the steal button, abuse the offensive charge button, continuously pressing full court, and don't play on-ball defense whatsoever.

That's not how you play basketball, and that's not how you are supposed to play this game (which is the best representation of the sport we have nowadays).

The game has its issues, but they are accentuated even more when you play it like a retard exploiting the fails o fit.

I'm mostly referring to exploits like taking the charge and the intentional foul thing. Passes and animations that are practically scripted... they are as bad as they get, I concur on that.
You do know its virtually impossible to play on-ball D in 2K without getting broken down, leaving someone open or simply getting burnt? This is why it happens. How am I playing a supposed basketball simulator if im holding D on you but my guy cant keep up because he feet are cement blocks?

A lot of those are user errors. Like this for example.
lolnba2kpsdzg.gif

The inbounding one had me chuckling though.
True but sometimes even the computer start jumping

This video was so on point.

That sequence where the person scores and the guy kicks the balls just to get the ball, walk to inbound the ball just to throw it away. Lost it there.

Leibniz

Its not a basketball simulator though if you limit the amount of steals someone can attempt. Does the NBA call for intentional foul after 3 swipes? no

:rolleyes:

That's because not a single player is trying to get a steal desperately like kids on MyTEAM.

Online community ruins this game more than the game itself. I play mostly offline and I assure you I have TONS of fun playing MyGM with a simulation approach.

You normally don't see people playing the post in this game. Offensive strategy is PICK AND ROLL ATTACK THE RIM OR OPEN IT FOR THE THREE POINTER. Or you can also get the "run over every defender to get to the rim".

That's all they got.

Defensive strategy: mash the steal button and try to take as many charges as you possibly can. Possibly double team. Be a Crybaby when things don't go your way.

I repeat, it has its flaws, they are many, but online gaming in this game is pathetic, and in most part it's because of its community.

Yopis

So being a "scrub" causes these glitches? What?

And 2K14 was terrible. I traded it in right away when I wasn't allowed to change my lineup in career mode without VC. What a joke.

You play one full game and have enough to change lineup lol. Play a few exhibition games before starting my GM. Don't think 2k or any sports sim is made for you man. Wish more people would actually try to get better instead of whining because they are not good enough.

That's because not a single player is trying to get a steal desperately like kids on MyTEAM.

Online community ruins this game more than the game itself. I play mostly offline and I assure you I have TONS of fun playing MyGM with a simulation approach.

You normally don't see people playing the post in this game. Offensive strategy is PICK AND ROLL ATTACK THE RIM OR OPEN IT FOR THE THREE POINTER. Or you can also get the "run over every defender to get to the rim".

That's all they got.

Defensive strategy: mash the steal button and try to take as many charges as you possibly can. Possibly double team. Be a Crybaby when things don't go your way.

I repeat, it has its flaws, they are many, but online gaming in this game is pathetic, and in most part it's because of its community.
The game should be criticized for what it allows. Every other game does sports games are no different imo.

Yopis

That's all they got.

Give up man the (this game sucks unless unless I win) mentality killed fighting games being huge. Has also infected certain portions of sports game fans and online. Unless people win they blame the game. Most here and certainly online don't know how to really play.

No game is perfect but It's easy to spot those that don't watch bball.

Leibniz

The best way to enjoy this game is: play with people that YOU know that approach the game in a simulation fashion. Don't play with people you don't know: you will end up playing with some 8th graders screening and the TV because the 3 didn't go down to win the game.

Or play offline with custom sliders and 12mins quarter.

You play one full game and have enough to change lineup lol. Play a few exhibition games before starting my GM. Don't think 2k or any sports sim is made for you man. Wish more people would actually try to get better instead of whining because they are not good enough.

So you are defending them putting microtransaction elements for something as simple as changing your lineup?
I have played a lot of sports sims and not even Madden charges you to change a lineup. Pretty stupid business practices.

theWB27

Wait.......is this why when I got to year 4........I didn't get an option to sign onto another team with offers and instead stayed on my current team?

Welp.........I'm done I was progressing through to finally get a good contract and now that I know its permanent........I'm done.

Yes...I'm in year 6 and I've been traded about 10 times trying to get on the Lakers. Your contract stays at 2 years and you stop earning payday VC. Your player is always upset since he isn't getting paid.

I ended up on the Pacers (second choice) for the third time and I'm just gonna play out my career for my home team.

Another patch is supposed to be released so hopefully it's fixed, but as it stands now your stuck without being able to get a new contract.

King E

Banned
You do know its virtually impossible to play on-ball D in 2K without getting broken down, leaving someone open or simply getting burnt? This is why it happens. How am I playing a supposed basketball simulator if im holding D on you but my guy cant keep up because he feet are cement blocks?

The computer won't jump if there's no pump-fake. However, human users would only assume that a player that's driving will actually shoot when expected, and this event occurs.

Also, on-ball defense is quite possible in 2K14. Players should hold the right stick upwards in the paint if they're unsure when the shot will be attempted.

King E

Banned

Both explanations are incorrect here. There is not a limit for steal attempts. Double tapping the steal button is a short-cut for intentional foul. Same as pressing both top shoulder buttons. A player can reach in all he or she wants, but double tapping will always result in an intentional foul.

The computer won't jump if there's no pump-fake. However, human users would only assume that a player that's driving will actually shoot when expected, and this event occurs.

Also, on-ball defense is quite possible in 2K14. Players should hold the right stick upwards in the paint if they're unsure when the shot will be attempted.
Would it mattered if the guy in the video pump faked? It still would of looked silly.

Yea maybe but that all takes too much work.. worrying about the paint the guy will have 3 point shooters open with even a CAN of room will shoot a 3 that is "technically" open according to the game.

Both explanations are incorrect here. There is not a limit for steal attempts. Double tapping the steal button is a short-cut for intentional foul. Same as pressing both top shoulder buttons. A player can reach in all he or she wants, but double tapping will always result in an intentional foul.
So I cant attempt to steal than anticipate a pass quickly or else I double tap then its intentional?

Yopis

So you are defending them putting microtransaction elements for something as simple as changing your lineup?
I have played a lot of sports sims and not even Madden charges you to change a lineup. Pretty stupid business practices.

No no no not defending that garbage but it's false to say that was game breaking.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I don't know what everyone's complaining about. NBA 2K14 does a pretty great job of emulating the sort of teamwork and excellent playmaking that you can count on seeing from the #1 seed in the playoffs.

wtfpacers.gif

That video is hilarious if you ever played the game.

To be fair basketball is probably the hardest sport to make into a video game. I don't care if it isn't exactly like the sport as long as it is fun.

I actually thought the PS4 demo of NBA Live 14 was kinda fun. Will it be a mistake to buy it? It seems more casual than the 2K series.

rac

Banned
I don't know what everyone's complaining about. NBA 2K14 does a pretty great job of emulating the sort of teamwork and excellent playmaking that you can count on seeing from the #1 seed in the playoffs.

wtfpacers.gif
I just keep watching this gif hoping for someone to make a cut, or maybe do anything other than just standing still.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I just keep watching this gif hoping for someone to make a cut, or maybe do anything other than just standing still.

I think my favorite part about it is that you legitimately cannot see the fifth Pacers player in frame at any point. He stands in the corner and you can almost make out his arm when he starts to chase the ball at the end.

Okay, I lied. My favorite part was actually the Grantland writeup about the...uh... "play".

Trailing by 20 points, David West sets a down screen for Paul George, who pops out to the top of the arc to receive a pass from George Hill. And then nothing happens.

Nothing.

Hawks coach Mike Budenholzer holds his arms straight out as if instructing his team that if they JUST DON’T DO ANYTHING, if they just DON’T MOVE, this will probably work out all right for them. Hill points near Kyle Korver’s right side, maybe to tell West to set a pick. This is a guess, because then George looks at West like, “Excuse me, sir? The thing? Can you do the thing?” and West looks back with HIS arms straight out as if to say, “Me? Which thing?” Hill points to Lance Stephenson like, “Hey maybe that guy wants the ball” and then George is like, “Fine, I’ll dribble into three defenders and turn it over. How’s that?” And then DeMarre Carroll is all, “COOKIES!”

Yopis

This is my point you don't understand simple concepts of defense. You can rotate the floor just like in soccer. Your not trying to always stay in front of ball directly either. You sometimes are tyring to funnel the ball where you have help. Do you switch and know where everyone should be with all the different zones?

Do you know when and why you should use them? These things are what make the game a great sim and not arcade. People don't know and blame the game. Watch real NBA they dont try to sit on the ball unless defending iso.

King E

Banned
Would it mattered if the guy in the video pump faked? It still would of looked silly.

Yea maybe but that all takes too much work.. worrying about the paint the guy will have 3 point shooters open with even a CAN of room will shoot a 3 that is "technically" open according to the game.

Too many players have poor anticipation on defense and attempt to block every shot attempt into the stands. Even before a player takes a shot. They just assume that since there's a good look, the defense must jump at them. That's simply bad defense, and can be avoided entirely with a decent amount of discipline.

The video is a representation of what happens when two users go head to head. I've seen it, and laughed at the video because it's a common offensive strategy. The video is a good blend of user error and obvious flaws Visual Concepts should address for future iterations.

King E

Banned

So I cant attempt to steal than anticipate a pass quickly or else I double tap then its intentional?

It's possible to play the passing lane after a steal attempt on the ball handler. However, if you're just mashing the button it's an intentional foul regardless of whatever scenario you can imagine.

The poor and sometimes confusing UI, terrible online experience and poor animation branching are at the top of my list of issues. 2K should be taken to task for these things.

A lot of the complaints regarding the gameplay itself are anti-cheesing methods that actually need to be there. The game would basically be an arcade title if people were allowed to swat at the ball incessantly or throw 50-foot lob passes on a dime consistently with Kendrick Perkins.

Jimrpg

Haha that was amazing. And the fact of the matter is I've only played 1 season of 2k3, 2k7 and 2k11 each... And all those mistakes are still there in 2k11.

jay23

As much as I hate live, I think it's important to have some competition. Both 2k and Madden have gotten stagnant, Madden especially.

Lrrr

That video is on-point and made me laugh out loud.

However, the problems highlighted within it aren't the reasons people should hate on the series or 2KSports. As a long-time player, I can tell you the real issue that's plaguing the series is that it's been turned into a microtransactions game like the ones you see on Facebook. 2KSports is actually utilizing two business models with the game. They charge $60 retail, but they lock a tremendous amount of content behind VC (virtual currency) paywalls and they've made earning VC incredibly time consuming, thereby trying to force players into buying it with real world money. The PS4 edition is an even worse offender as VC doesn't cross across different game modes, so the VC you've purchased for your MyPlayer cannot be used in the MyGM mode. These are the reasons 2K should be getting a lot of heat from it consumers, but sadly, a lot of people defend the practice. :/

Essentially, the same business model that got Forza 5 so much flack on XB1, 2K has been getting away with for two years now.

Apollo

Banned
wish they would had done the teammate big man leaving his man wide open under the rim after getting pushed out of bounce.

wtfpacers.gif

...Good lord, that's the type of shit that makes you move to another country in shame

mhi

Loved the sequences.

They've been using the same engine dating back to the DreamCast titles.

Only some much lipstick on a pig, etc...

This is my point you don't understand simple concepts of defense. You can rotate the floor just like in soccer. Your not trying to always stay in front of ball directly either. You sometimes are tyring to funnel the ball where you have help. Do you switch and know where everyone should be with all the different zones?

Do you know when and why you should use them? These things are what make the game a great sim and not arcade. People don't know and blame the game. Watch real NBA they dont try to sit on the ball unless defending iso.
The problem is the game and thats a fact if the game were better you wouldnt have to do it.
Too many players have poor anticipation on defense and attempt to block every shot attempt into the stands. Even before a player takes a shot. They just assume that since there's a good look, the defense must jump at them. That's simply bad defense, and can be avoided entirely with a decent amount of discipline.

The video is a representation of what happens when two users go head to head. I've seen it, and laughed at the video because it's a common offensive strategy. The video is a good blend of user error and obvious flaws Visual Concepts should address for future iterations.
Do you know why people jump at every shot? Because of how ridiculous it is that people can make a shot straight in your face. The video demonstrated that too. You just cant keep a hand in a players face anymore. They will splash all day on you because the game sees some shots as open and some shot releases are better than others at cheesing a shot.

What series has progressed more, 2K or Madden?

The answer is actually 2K.

People love making up shit about 2K because "lol, Dreamcast servers."

Funny vid tho.

ohNOitsRO

Funny video, a bit of an exaggeration on the problems of 2k, some of those are purely user errors, and some of those are the way the game balances some aspects of the game (Passing in past 2k games was way,way too easy)

But nonetheless funny video

rvy

Banned
Don't worry. Ronnie2k said they're totally fixing these issues.

Now we should all wait 24 hours on Twitter for the next set of 10 Diamond Kobe's to be released.

tookhster

This video is actually ridiculously accurate. Yes, there some that are user-controlled, but a lot of them aren't and have been part of the games for years(pumping jersey glitch, kicking the ball, crazy comebacks, etc).

It just goes to show that 2K is now(and has been for years) a visuals-first game that pushes gameplay elements to the side. It has no competition so they are able to get way with hilariously bad mechanics that people ignore because "omg Lebron's sweat, so real!".

Which is ironic because the 2K series got popular in the Dreamcast days because of their core gameplay mechanics, not because of some corny ass career mode with pretty graphics and unskippable cutscenes. I couldn't even access my save the other day when my internet was down, you HAVE to be connected to their servers to resume your MyCareer mode.

I know that this video was made just for laughs, but the 2K fan in me really hopes that the fans speak up more about these mechanics that completely ruin the experience for some people. They've just been ignoring it for the past few years and have been focusing more on pretty visuals which automatically make people think it's a good game.

2k14 gets way to much flak on GAF, I have seen most of the glitches in this video in game, but none are game breaking and the number of times I have seen them is quite few. The MyCareer mode is totally fine, especially if you use the mynba2k app to get vc, its about 1000-1500 vc bonus everyday, just for clicking on an envelop. In fact I would say it's almost game breaking, since I am now the 5th best player in the NBA, and my career is only 53 games old. Intentional fouling is by design, don't hold turbo while you hit steal people. The passing is not broken, you need to see where the icon is when you pass, and if its hard to thread the needle like that then turn on the icon passing. I also think many people never took the time to learn how to use the shot stick correctly, because the shot stick opens the offensive part of the game way up. I agree that its stupid it's always online, the servers are terrible, and are inexcusable, but the on the court game is pretty fucking good.

The fact that so much of it is scripted, and that the cut-scenes are downright terrible, ruined the mode for me.

Effnine

I love the 2K series and yeah, that video is pretty damn accurate ... however, it's all we got at the moment ...

rvy

Banned
LOL ... I was actually trying to dl the demo on the PS4 but it errored on me and stopped about a 1/3 of the way ... I'll take that as a sign ...

I wish I could have tried it, but they don't even offer the demo in my country. I don't think I'm missing out much. Even with all the post-launch support, that game will never truly be decent in any way, shape or form.

Yes, 2k14 is riddled with bugs and problems. But I've also clocked well over 80 hours in it and I don't regret them.
Unfortunately, 2k will continue to ignore the issues because they're selling more than ever, there's virtually no competition and gamers are hardly the most bankable bunch to boycott anything.

Even with all the crap, it's an enjoyable game a lot of the time.

Apollo

Banned
What series has progressed more, 2K or Madden?

The answer is actually 2K.

People love making up shit about 2K because "lol, Dreamcast servers."

Funny vid tho.

That's your opinion and not everyones. I rarely play Madden games but every time I decide to purchase one it's a big upgrade. I see the same crap in 2K every damn year. Hell I bought 2K14 twice one on Xbox 360 and the other on PS4. I was hoping a lot of the problems were gone from the 360 version but they showed their ugly head in the next gen version a long with tons of other problems. So really shouldn't it be ppl love making up shit about Madden because the things that are said about 2K are mostly true.

Top Bottom