• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
my nexus 10 still hasn't received the new play store with the side menu... is it supposed to?

hold up let me check my nexus 7 (2012)

EDIT:

neither of em had it, but a restart kicked 'em both into gear and it updated. sweet.

both have been back on stock 4.3, awaiting a sweet 4.4 update. bought 2 kit kats today. zero wins :( (1/3 ain't bad)

thespot84

what am I doing wrong with this custom URL for g+? 86 people have me in circles, my g+ is old as can be and I have a profile pic.... still nothing.

what am I doing wrong with this custom URL for g+? 86 people have me in circles, my g+ is old as can be and I have a profile pic.... still nothing.

maybe you have to be a G+ page and not a profile...

page meaning representing a company or news site or business or an entertainment entitoy... i have a page for my company, but since it is non existent i don't have any content.

thespot84

maybe you have to be a G+ page and not a profile...

page meaning representing a company or news site or business or an entertainment entitoy... i have a page for my company, but since it is non existent i don't have any content.

the help page that faceless posted says that people can get it too. we shall see.

DXPett1

So does Google not care for standards anymore either? I hate...HATE when 3rd party apps introduce their own media viewer/sharing setup and now Google go and put some fancy pants version that no other app can use into G+.

Consistancy is real nice Google...not this shit

thespot84

So does Google not care for standards anymore either? I hate...HATE when 3rd party apps introduce their own media viewer/sharing setup and now Google go and put some fancy pants version that no other app can use into G+.

Consistancy is real nice Google...not this shit

are you talking about webm and webP?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I don't like how the new G+ app handles sidebar sections. Going to photos then albums feels disjointed. It's like the app reboots.

wilflare

thinking of getting an Android Tablet... what should I get?

I'm finding the Stylus on my Note 3 really useful...
should I be looking at the Note line/Tab line?

So I switched from the iPhone to a Xperia Z1 about a month ago now, and I love it. The only issue I'm having, and it's a big one for me as I'm always listening to podcasts/music, is that I can't seem to find a pair of earphones where the volume buttons work (as in change volume with the earphone controls). I was just reading that Android doesn't support volume changing through earphone buttons, that can't be true right?

Yoshiya

found kitkats on special for $1AUD, and looking at the promotional terms it seems the expected return from each entry in google play credit actually exceeds $1. not bad google, not bad. I should stock up.

edit: actually about $4.20 for each $1 wow

Prediction: invite goes out today for Trick or Treat with Sundar Pichai tomorrow, similar to the Google+ event. Tomorrow, Sundar says the phone is either available today after the broadcast or November 1.

panda21

this is amazing
http://thenextweb.com/shareables/20...e-snapseeds-new-filter-came-like/?fromcat=all

It logged me in twitter and presented me with two optioons, either get articles from my timeline or from one of my lists (I chose my "media" list) and it's been working wonderfully so far.

that sounds cool, i love the new stories from your twitter feed in safari so i think this could be cool

To be fair, he didn't have much choice with Twitter. The way they try to shoo away all the 3rd party Twitter applications made it impossible for him to keep going.
Though he shouldn't have just removed it from Play Store completely like he did.

i don't really blame the guy, but given that its been established that twitter arent going to give him extra API capacity, it seems crazy to immediately make another twitter app, because its practically guaranteed to hit the same problem. and then presumably the app will get taken down :S

So I switched from the iPhone to a Xperia Z1 about a month ago now, and I love it. The only issue I'm having, and it's a big one for me as I'm always listening to podcasts/music, is that I can't seem to find a pair of earphones where the volume buttons work (as in change volume with the earphone controls). I was just reading that Android doesn't support volume changing through earphone buttons, that can't be true right?

Try the Meelectronics M9p Second Gen earphones, they have a manual volume control on the handsfree control. Blue tooth headphones should also support this.

I don't think android supports direct volume control, some companies may make earphones that would only work on their handsets.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
thinking of getting an Android Tablet... what should I get?

I'm finding the Stylus on my Note 3 really useful...
should I be looking at the Note line/Tab line?

Your only choice would be the note line then. That being said you might not use the stylus as much on your tablet depending so then you'd have other options.

Normally I would recommend the N7, but the note 3 is already 5.7 inches. I say wait for the incoming N10 refresh, and weigh that against the Note Tablet lineup.

wilflare

Your only choice would be the note line then. That being said you might not use the stylus as much on your tablet depending so then you'd have other options.

Normally I would recommend the N7, but the note 3 is already 5.7 inches. I say wait for the incoming N10 refresh, and weigh that against the Note Tablet lineup.

thanks!
using the Note 3, I am ironically trying to remove as much of TouchWiz as possible (lol)

so I am somewhat inclined to a Nexus.. (can I just buy a stylus and use it?)

hmm I do have an iPad2... and am somewhat inclined to an iPad Mini due to its size

tino

Banned
i don't really blame the guy, but given that its been established that twitter arent going to give him extra API capacity, it seems crazy to immediately make another twitter app, because its practically guaranteed to hit the same problem. and then presumably the app will get taken down :S

And then he will take it down and make a third one. I guess this is the only business model due to twitter's bullshit policy.

mturco

This isn't exactly Android-related, but it's Motorola who's owned by Google, so...

Anandtech posted an article about the Project Ara / "Phonebloks" concept that pretty much rains on the parade.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7469/motorolas-project-ara-phonebloks-from-an-oem

Someone in the comments is a little harsher but (IMO) even more realistic:

This is the dumbest idea ever. It's astonishing that a major OEM like Motorola would give it the time of day, much less "partner" with yet another wannabe product designer whose main skills lie in making CAD renders of things which are impossible to build. Do they have any engineers advising the marketdroids over there?

For those who have your hopes up, I hate to break it to you but even if they ever ship anything (doubtful), it will suck. Forget about regulatory hurdles, the real problem is that it will be more expensive than conventionally constructed phones, it won't perform as well, it will be less reliable, the software will suck, it will be heavier, and it will be bulky. Oh, and it probably won't be very mix and match in the end.

A few years ago I got hired by a fabless semi company to work on the first SoC of my career. After that chip taped out, I got to watch how difficult it is to deliver software for a complex SoC, since we're in a market where many customers need the chip and software as a package deal. The chip is somewhat like a phone SoC in complexity except for not having a GPU, and the software we have to deliver is less complex in some areas (no GUI) and more in others (networking).

So I can tell you that it's hard even when the software team has to integrate just one SoC with a small number of off-chip peripherals in a very limited number of configurations. The "phoneblok" concept blows up the number of potential combinations of hardware and software. There is a reason why (to pick the obvious example) Microsoft has to maintain huge testing labs doing WHQL driver certification, and that's just the tip of the iceberg in the PC market.

Since only a tiny number of geeks really want to build their own custom phones out of lego-like "bloks", there's obviously not going to be any entity with the resources (or motivation, same difference) to spend what needs to be spent on software integration engineering. It's not like the PC industry where the ecosystem of interchangable parts grew organically out of the PC's origins in the 1980s; this is an established market where the gold standard is a highly integrated phone, and it's easy to see that the public loves them and for the most part won't switch. It follows that either your choices of "bloks" and how to combine them are going to be very limited, or the software is going to suck. Or (most likely) both.

Finally, the idea that everybody on the edge of tech is just "testing around" is a kid's naive idea of how the industry works. In fact, the idea that this is even on the edge of tech is naive. You seem to nobody knows how to make it work yet, so you just shrug and declare it a valid effort. Actually, my objection is that it looks an awful lot like things that have been done before, and based on past experiences it's easy to predict how this will go without adequate investment. (Which is unlikely to materialize, since ultimately this is a classic solution looking for a problem nobody had.)

Blackhead

Redarse
This isn't exactly Android-related, but it's Motorola who's owned by Google, so...

Anandtech posted an article about the Project Ara / "Phonebloks" concept that pretty much rains on the parade.

These screeds claiming how phoneblocks is impossible reminds me of all those people at Nokia, Blackberry and Microsoft claiming that the original iPhone couldn't exist and the prototype must be hoax by Apple

Yeah, phoneblocks are dumb. Anyone with an ounce of sense knows that it is not a realistic prospect.

Moto are just trying to get some free publicity from enthusiast blogs who eat that shit up.

mturco

These screeds claiming how phoneblocks is impossible reminds me of all those people at Nokia, Blackberry and Microsoft claiming that the original iPhone couldn't exist and the prototype must be hoax by Apple

That's not really the same thing, though. The Phonebloks concept goes against everything that makes a phone good - tight integration and good use of space. In other words, if this project ever did produce a product, it would probably be the anti-iPhone. As that commenter mentioned, who's going to make sure all of the different hardware is compatible with each other and with the software? If you've ever messed with custom ROMs, you might have seen developers try to use stuff from international versions of the same phone (with largely the same components) and even that is a nightmare.

Zeppu

The whole Phonebloks idea has been taken to the extreme in terms of modularity. In real life for this to be feasible there would be a handful of modules, maybe 5 or 6 with many of the components coming integrated with each other. Display, Camera, Battery, Storage, SoC w/ radio, etc...

No need to be able to update ram or GPU independently, just let all the internals be a single module and the user can customise the extra things.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Well on yesterday's Verge mobile show, they mentioned that a lot of companies in the industry (and outside ie: Seinheisser) contacted the Phonebloks guy after his video. Dunno how seriously they took him though.

They also raised a good point in that if you look at the laptop market these days, the move has been away from modularity which has resulted in lighter, more efficient machines.

Jesus Christ, so much negativity. He's upset that a major electronics company is doing research and spending their own money on impossible tech? If you care to look through my post history you'll see that I don't curse, but fuck that guy. Is he mad that people read Popular Science and get excited about concepts that are way off in the future and/or not practical?

They also raised a good point in that if you look at the laptop market these days, the move has been away from modularity which has resulted in lighter, more efficient machines.

It also resulted in more expensive options for the customer, where they can't upgrade the RAM or storage anymore and have to pay 100 bucks each for the next option.

But since no one ever did that, I guess it's not a real loss.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
More leaks of the phone you can't have yet:

Screenshot_2013-10-30-09-35-43_zps85511056-365x650.png

Nexus-5-1-487x650.jpg

mturco

Wow that looks so good. What phone is that underneath? A Nexus 4 in a case? It looks smaller (but that could be due to the case).

DagsJT

Is the back of the Nexus 5 glass like the N4? I love how thin the N4 is but having to keep it in a case due to so many reports of people smashing the backs.

Wow that looks so good. What phone is that underneath? A Nexus 4 in a case? It looks smaller (but that could be due to the case).

That's no phone, that's a space station LG G2 case.

Is the back of the Nexus 5 glass like the N4? I love how thin the N4 is but having to keep it in a case due to so many reports of people smashing the backs.

Nope, believe its a soft touch plastic like the N7 2013.

mturco

At this point the only thing I'm concerned about is how big it's going to be. There have been conflicting dimensions released so far.

Code:
Nexus 5
131.9 x 68.2 x ???mm	???g (FCC filing)
133.9 x 68.7 x 9.1mm	140g (Can't remember source -- Edit: actually it looks like this is exactly the same as the N4, so it's probably bullshit.)
137.8 x 69.2 x 8.6mm	130g (Wind Mobile leak)

Nexus 4
133.9 x 68.7 x 9.1mm	139g

LG G2
138.5 x 70.9 x 8.9mm	143g

HTC One
137.4 x 68.2 x 9.3mm	143g

iPhone 5S
123.8 x 58.6 x 7.6mm	112g

I was really hoping this thing was going to be smaller than my One...

Edit: Droid Life updated their post with another picture (of a dummy unit):

At this point the only thing I'm concerned about is how big it's going to be. There have been conflicting dimensions released so far.

Code:
Nexus 5
131.9 x 68.2 x ???mm	???g (FCC filing)
133.9 x 68.7 x 9.1mm	140g (Can't remember source -- Edit: actually it looks like this is exactly the same as the N4, so it's probably bullshit.)
137.8 x 69.2 x 8.6mm	130g (Wind Mobile leak)

Nexus 4
133.9 x 68.7 x 9.1mm	139g

LG G2
138.5 x 70.9 x 8.9mm	143g

HTC One
137.4 x 68.2 x 9.3mm	143g

iPhone 5S
123.8 x 58.6 x 7.6mm	112g
I was really hoping this thing was going to be smaller than my One...

Edit: Droid Life updated their post with another picture (of a dummy unit):
I hope it's smaller than the one too but didn't one of the leaks actually have the phone up against measuring stick.

mturco

I hope it's smaller than the one too but didn't one of the leaks actually have the phone up against measuring stick.

Good point.

nexusae0_2013-09-12-10_32_58-https___apps.fcc_.gov_eas_GetApplicationAttachment.html_id20414551.png

Someone wanna do the math? lol

Edit: Did some MS Paint zooming and it looks like 136 x 69mm to me but it's also kind of at an angle (relative to the ruler). In other words, it looks like the Wind Mobile leak is right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom