• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brexit | OT3 | A Feast for Crows

Mr. Sam

A daily reminder how much of a mess the brexit is, and how the EU is focusing on protecting its interests while the UK is caught in surprise and can only muster a no. Shits gonna hit the fan on 29 march 2019. It's incredible how you can hold a Countdown clock to announced economic and political disaster.

Things are looking pretty good.

Man, if only there'd been some sort of choice over when the deadline was. If only there was some sort of "article" that we had to "activate". If only somebody could have said, "Oh, France and Germany have elections, and I'm going to hold one as well, maybe we shouldn't start the ticking clock just yet." Oh well!

Vagabundo

There are some minor solutions they could try:

If a hard border is created give Irish dual citizenship so people can get through border control easily.

Get individual counties to vote if they want to remain in the UK or stay in the EU and join Ireland. I don't see unification as a whole happening but county by county basis might get some border counties to flip.

Smaller border and Ireland might be able to take on the cost of individual counties instead of a whole country.

If you were born on the island of Ireland before 1 January 2005, you are entitled to be an Irish citizen.

If you were born in Ireland after 1 January 2005 and your parent(s) were Irish citizens, then you are also an Irish citizen.

Quite a few can get Irish citizenship at the moment. The issue going forward will be people whose parents never claimed Irish citizenship being unable to after their parents die.

Burai

shitonmychest57
There are some minor solutions they could try:

If a hard border is created give Irish dual citizenship so people can get through border control easily.

Get individual counties to vote if they want to remain in the UK or stay in the EU and join Ireland. I don't see unification as a whole happening but county by county basis might get some border counties to flip.

Smaller border and Ireland might be able to take on the cost of individual counties instead of a whole country.

That would never wash under the Good Friday Agreement.

tuxfool

Banned
DJHNPq6XgAAOsxt.jpg

what is it that people think this guy does?

Uzzy

DJHNPq6XgAAOsxt.jpg

what is it that people think this guy does?

He's one of Professor Minfords creatures, I see.
If the UK were to choose unilateral free trade with zero tariff and non-tariff barriers post-Brexit, it would solidify its position as a global champion of free trade.

I'm certain that he wouldn't be bothered by the complete destruction of British agriculture and industry that this would cause. Others might be. I also don't think people would appreciate having our food standards lowered to nothing, but maybe I'm weird in thinking those are important.

Number 4: Being outside the Single Market will permit labour market deregulation, hitherto prevented by the EU cover under which it was introduced.

Huzzah, everyone made unemployed by these policies can work as serfs for the City of London and the financial elites.

Uzzy

So Davis today ruled out EEA and EFTA membership for the transitional deal. That's pretty big, and shows that the Tories are hoping for bespoke arrangements just for the transition, let alone for what they want to transition to. Which is a big ask.

I believe I saw somewhere that the EU's transition position was EEA and a photocopy of the EEA with a different name. Don't think that'd be acceptable to the Tories.

theaface

So Davis today ruled out EEA and EFTA membership for the transitional deal. That's pretty big, and shows that the Tories are hoping for bespoke arrangements just for the transition, let alone for what they want to transition to. Which is a big ask.

I believe I saw somewhere that the EU's transition position was EEA and a photocopy of the EEA with a different name. Don't think that'd be acceptable to the Tories.

He has no idea what he wants. Only what he doesn't want. He has no idea what we should pay. Only what we shouldn't pay. The closest he's come to setting out his position is pie-in-the-sky, cake-and-eat-it fantasy which has already been shot down from any and all quarters where an ounce of common sense resides.

Beefy

Still feeling this will crumble and we won't exit. Not because I have hope, but because of how bad the government have handled it.

Still feeling this will crumble and we won't exit. Not because I have hope, but because of how bad the government have handled it.

But wouldn't incompetence just result in a terrible exit?
It's been invoked, how would this turn into a situation where the UK remains?
You're out, right?

keep

Barnier has told the UK to go whistle with their proposed 'blue-sky' Irish border solution:

'This will not happen' - Barnier on the UK's post-Brexit proposals for Ireland

"What I see in the UK’s paper on Ireland and Northern Ireland worries me.

The UK wants the EU to suspend the application of its laws, its customs union, and its single market at what will be a new external border of the EU.

And the UK wants to use Ireland as a kind of test case for the future EU-UK customs relations.

This will not happen.

Creativity and flexibility cannot be at the expense of the integrity of the single market and the customs union.

This would not be fair for Ireland and it would not be fair for the European Union."

Beefy

You're out, right?

I just have a weird feeling it that we will remain or at the very least exit but still have very close ties/ rules etc with the EU with May taking the hit. Talks have been such a fuck up neither would surprise me, neither would a exit were the UK is completely dead.

Xando

Dunno. I think we’re moving fast towards a terrible exit due to the incompetence.
You're out, right?
Yes. If the UK doesn’t come to a deal to revert art. 50 or leave with a deal they’ll just leave in march 2019

Hard to believe we’re 6 months in and the tories still play for the daily mail crowd instead of negotiating seriously

United Kingdom took a look at Bulgaria, and thought "I think we can do better!"

No one is going to want to live in a country where the major political animus is targeting others and a bunch of malcontent wankery.

FunkyMonk

Unless there's a radical change in this country we're going to crash out and crash out hard. Swathes of the press will accept nothing short of a hard brexit regardless of the damage done to the country and the current government is utterly craven and clueless.

I've more or less held my peace so far but I can see me losing a lot of friends in April and May 2019 as the ramifications of the referendum start hitting home.

CTLance

Politicians should not be able to hide reports. That's a problem here in Germany as well, and it's been driving me nuts.
That economy, first with Portugal. Whoop
Strong and steady wins the race. You gotta be a tortoise to beat the hare.

Holy crap at the Czechs catching lightning in a bottle. Impressive.

Uzzy

Brexiteers' letter adds to pressure on May

A letter leaked to the BBC , signed by dozens of Tory MPs, was scheduled for the pages of a Sunday newspaper, demanding that Theresa May stand firm, and stick to her original plan for Brexit.

The letter will be seen as a warning to ministers too, particularly Chancellor Philip Hammond who Eurosceptics see as trying to water down Mrs May's original Brexit plan to leave the single market and customs union.

The letter demands that the government resists any move to keep the UK in the EU "by stealth" and is also designed to put pressure on Labour's new position on Brexit, which advocates a more gradual departure.

People need to just accept we are leaving no matter what.

Completely disagree. The people need to speak and march when this shit all comes to a head and make the government aware we won't allow them to ruin the futures of our children for their damn party.

At no point should we ever just lay back and accept the Tories playing games with everyone's livelihood.

CTLance

So am I understanding this correctly that the Tories want to push the repeal bill through parliament at all costs today? Limiting speaking time and dragging their feet on an extension of the debating time as if their life depended on it.

Edit: ...on a side note, if your surname is "Cash" and you are naming your son "Bill", you are a dick and nothing you can say will convince me otherwise.

theaface

Also Theresa May hid 9 reports showing that migration didn't have a large impact on local wages and living standards.
https://twitter.com/IanDunt/status/905369891020181508

It's shit like this that people should be remembering when it comes to May. Never mind the fact that she comes across as a bit socially awkward and boring - that doesn't matter in the greater scheme of things. But this, it shows her true colours and what really matters to her (hint: it's not the British people).

What made Czech soar so high all of the sudden? Did they discover Gold mine or something?

It's a "fluke" basically. Looking at a single quarter isn't telling much at all. Take Ireland for example. If you look at their Q1 2017 performance you could think they are doomed (-2.6%, i.e. ~-10% annualized), while if you look at their Q4 2016 performance you'd think they are the fastest growing economy in the world (+5.8%, i.e. 20%+ annualized).

SKINNER!

Banned
Completely disagree. The people need to speak and march when this shit all comes to a head and make the government aware we won't allow them to ruin the futures of our children for their damn party.

But they already spoke...twice in fact. Referendum vote and general election. Outcome? We are leaving the EU and (granted a much less powerful) tory party are still in charge. Look, i didn't vote for brexit but this is notion is quite unrealistic. Plus, given how brexit is in the great interest of rich fucks (Murdoch and friends) who egged Farage and Boris on with their lies, nothing will change the outcome unless a major significant factor takes place...like a nationwide protest that practically shuts down the country. Wishful thinking if you ask me. Much like a disgusting shot of sambuca at 3am when you're on the brink of throwing up, people just gonna have to swallow reality and get on with it.

But they already spoke...twice in fact. Referendum vote and general election. Outcome? We are leaving the EU and (granted a much less powerful) tory party are still in charge. Look, i didn't vote for brexit but this is notion is quite unrealistic. Plus, given how brexit is in the great interest of rich fucks (Murdoch and friends) who egged Farage and Boris on with their lies, nothing will change the outcome unless a major significant factor takes place...like a nationwide protest that practically shuts down the country. Wishful thinking if you ask me. Much like a disgusting shot of sambuca at 3am when you're on the brink of throwing up, people just gonna have to swallow reality and get on with it.

When people realize what their reality entails I'd wager the backlash will increase. The EU will bend the UK over backwards because they can and the UK will have no choice. Once the public actually wakes up to that reality I expect a big shift in opinion.

I'd also wager that's why the Tories are more interested in putting on a show for their base than actually trying to make any headway. They know the base will turn when their lies come crashing down around them.

I'll also never accept complacency as we ruin the futures of those with no control or choice over it. I'll always be of the mindset that just accepting that the government can do whatever the hell it likes at the cost of the people is an awful, defeatist attitude that will only empower them to do even worse shit as they feel free.

keep

The Department for Exiting the European Union have replied to Barnier's Ireland papers in the most passive-agressive way possible:

We welcome the commission's position paper on Northern Ireland and Ireland, which continues to demonstrate that the UK and EU's objectives on this issue are closely aligned.

In particular the commitment to avoid any physical infrastructure at the border is a very important step forward. As the UK's position paper set out, this is a crucial objective for the government given the importance of the Northern Ireland peace process.

We were clear on our position paper that the nature of the border means that an agreed, reciprocal solution must be found. Unilateral UK flexibility will not be sufficient to meet our shared objectives, which is why we welcome the commission's continued recognition of the need for flexible and imaginative solutions.

The UK looks forward to further engagement through the negotiating dialogue we have established with the commission. The UK position paper and this commission position paper clearly provide a good basis on which to continue to make swift progress.

"We are not in agreement".
"We are in agreement".
Rinse repeat etc.

Lucreto

I saw this in the comment section of that Guardian article

Brexit was just an extremely expensive headcount of how many ignorant and xenophobic people there currently are living in the UK.

Xando

Interesting situation with the repeal bill where some remainers think henry VII powers will turn britain into a dictatorship while hard brexiteers fear it allows the government to decide on anything from no deal to joining the euro

KDR_11k

Crumbling and failing does not stop the exit procedure. You'll be exiting no matter how badly the govt fumbles the negotiations.

Morat

Banned
In related news, Farage is going to speak at an AfD rally in Germany, having been invited by Beatrix von Storch, the granddaughter of Hitlers finance minister.

Via the Grauniad

I would make a joke, but I think this speaks for itself

If your parents didn't claim it then maybe not. The information around the net isn't clear, maybe the regs are more lax and if they were entitled to it, but never claimed it then you could.

Ahh, sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you were talking about Brits with a (deceased) Irish parent.

In related news, Farage is going to speak at an AfD rally in Germany, having been invited by Beatrix von Storch, the granddaughter of Hitlers finance minister.

Via the Grauniad

I would make a joke, but I think this speaks for itself

Oh, von "the police should use armed force to keep mothers and their children ( refering to refugees) from crosssing our borders" Storch.
I mean, she's not responsible for her ancestor....but she just so happens to be absolute garbage as well.

Edit: Fantastic thread, theaface ! Can't wait for May's version of the walk of atonement.

RenditMan

Banned
He has no idea what he wants. Only what he doesn't want. He has no idea what we should pay. Only what we shouldn't pay. The closest he's come to setting out his position is pie-in-the-sky, cake-and-eat-it fantasy which has already been shot down from any and all quarters where an ounce of common sense resides.

He does know what he wants, what he gets is up for negotiation. What he doesn't know is what he can get, because good negotiators will not reveal that. This works for both sides.

Anyone who doesn't think that the recent "leaks," on post EU migration policy proposals weren't deliberate probably should think again.

Vagabundo

Ahh, sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you were talking about Brits with a (deceased) Irish parent.

A little more digging.I was talking specifically about the Northern Irish situation and Good Friday agreement above. This rule is a more general rule:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/ said:
If either of your parents was an Irish citizen who was born in Ireland, then you are automatically an Irish citizen, irrespective of your place of birth. If you are an Irish citizen, you can apply for an Irish passport. You do not need an Irish passport in order to be an Irish citizen but having an Irish passport is evidence that you are an Irish citizen.

If your parent derived Irish citizenship in another manner, for example, through marriage, adoption or naturalisation, and was an Irish citizen at the time of your birth, you can become an Irish citizen.

If the parent through whom you derive Irish citizenship was deceased at the time of your birth, but would have been an Irish citizen if alive at that time, you are also an Irish citizen. Also, you derive citizenship through an Irish parent whether or not your parents were married to each other at the time of your birth.

Basically everyone is an Irish Citizen. Its a novel approach to immigration.

Top Bottom