• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PART 1 of Noclip's Final Fantasy XIV Online Documentary

Flarin

FINAL FANTASY XIV Documentary Part #1 - "One Point O"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs0yQKI7Yw4

In the first video in our three-part series, we tell the story of how the 1.0 version of FINAL FANTASY 14 came to be. How FINAL FANTASY 11 inspired its design, the ways in which the game fell short and how Square-Enix and the development team reacted to its failure.

This is going to be absolutely fascinating.

I never played this game but I am super curious about its rise and fall. I know a lot of people in my circle who absolutely love it.

Flarin

Holy shit, that was incredible. There's a point where Yoshi-P shares his thoughts on why he thought XIV 1.0 failed. I feel like those reasons explain a lot about why Square's turnout during the PS360 was so subpar. Essentially, they were extremely prideful and gaming tech was passing by. Man that was crazy stuff. I can't believe PR let them share all that.

Considering this is being released alongside a new XIV expansion I suppose they figure it will create positive sentiment and maybe draw in new subscribers. Works out for everyone. Can't wait for parts 2 and 3.

Terrorblot

I'm at work and can't watch until break. As a FFXIV and Noclip super fan I've been waiting and waiting for this one! The development of XIV is absolutely fascinating.

Tiops

Listening to YoshiP is so good. The man knows his shit. He's pretty honest about the issues with the original game development, like not using third party tools to develop games on PS3 and lagging behind western devs, not looking at rival MMOs for examples of what people like and dislike, etc. He says that FFXIV 1.0 was basically developed without any reference or research in the genre itself, it's pretty baffling.

Great watch. I thought the bit about how cultural differences impacted how players talked in game (using tell vs shout) was pretty interesting. It's also pretty extraordinary how Yoshi P approached his higher ups with two options. Could you imagine how nerve-racking trying to pitch something like that would be?

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Holy shit, that was incredible. There's a point where Yoshi-P shares his thoughts on why he thought XIV 1.0 failed. I feel like those reasons explain a lot about why Square's turnout during the PS360 was so subpar. Essentially, they were extremely prideful and gaming tech was passing by. Man that was crazy stuff. I can't believe PR let them share all that.

Actually, I get the feeling that a central crux, even to this day, of the FF14 PR message is telling people "we know we fucked up and learned from those mistakes." I wouldn't expect to see similar candidness about any other Square game, but for 14 it's appropriate.

Actually, I get the feeling that a central crux, even to this day, of the FF14 PR message is telling people "we know we fucked up and learned from those mistakes." I wouldn't expect to see similar candidness about any other Square game, but for 14 it's appropriate.
Probably helps that the CEO from last gen got fired and the new one is a big improvement.

Yoshi dropping truth bombs about Square being arrogant and that arrogance leading the game to be shit.

He also, in the same breath, confirmed how Crystal Tools fucked over the development and management at the company. The two major games Square worked on during the PS3 lifetime was FFXIII and XIV, both of which suffered because of that engine.

Man. I'd like to visit a parallel universe in which Square let go of its arrogance and licensed middleware from western companies to make both of these games. How different would things have turned out.

Koozek

Mhhhhh, can't wait to watch this later!

Man, I wish Noclip would do one of these for FFXVersus, interviewing Nomura and Tabata. But I think they'll wait with doing in-depth post-mortems until after they'll have revisited Versus in some form in a few years as to not spoil the original story.

Hey guys slight off topic.

But I really want a story run down of ff14 up to storm blood but all I can find is the story up till when realm reborn started :(

Would prefer a YouTube rundown but a read up would be fine.

Flarin

Mhhhhh, can't wait to watch this later!

Man, I wish Noclip would do one of these for FFXVersus, interviewing Nomura and Tabata. But I think they'll wait with doing in-depth post-mortems until after they'll have revisited Versus in some form in a few years as to not spoil the original story.

I was thinking the same thing. Now that Danny has a relationship with Square Japan maybe they'll allow him to do one on XV/ Versus.

The big kahuna I want Noclip to go after though is The Last Guardian. Holy crap that would be an unbelievable series.

Koozek

I was thinking the same thing. Now that Danny has a relationship with Square Japan maybe they'll allow him to do one on XV/ Versus.

The big kahuna I want Noclip to go after though is The Last Guardian. Holy crap that would be an unbelievable series.
Don't think it would be that interesting, tbh. They had a mini making-of series around the release, I think, or maybe it was an interview I read, but I feel like Ueda explained well enough what the problems were during development.

Fake-EDIT: Ah, think it was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w71wDbXYheM

Flarin

Don't think it would be that interesting, tbh. They had a mini making-of series around the release, I think, or maybe it was an interview I read, but I feel like Ueda explained well enough what the problems were during development.

Fake-EDIT: Ah, think it was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w71wDbXYheM

Oh, interesting! I guess Ueda does spell out a lot of the info. These mini IGN docs aren't nearly as interesting as Danny's though. He takes the tim to tell the entire story whereas IGN needs to churn out videos ASAP.

24 minutes into this, and I can't help but think: is that localization guy's job gonna be okay when higher ups see his interview for this? I have only a sliver of understanding of Japanese corporate culture, but we've all heard stories, and you notice Japanese devs never talk so candidly about such negative things.

spiritfox

24 minutes into this, and I can't help but think: is that localization guy's job gonna be okay when higher ups see his interview for this? I have only a sliver of understanding of Japanese corporate culture, but we've all heard stories, and you notice Japanese devs never talk so candidly about such negative things.

If the CEO is ok appearing in this, I think they all got the ok to say what they say in this. Plus SE is already pretty open about FFXIV 1.0 being a failure.

Top Bottom