• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 2011 |OT| Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdogmoney

Okay, so, I'm on the wrong side of the Atlantic, so I'm watching the premiere tonight. I don't want to be spoiled, but would the ep be too scary for a four-year-old boy?

This is a kid who enjoys Jurassic Park, as a reference.

NekoFever said:
I'm watching the episode now and holy hell some of the fake American accents are bad.

well now American's know what it feels like

ps cant wait to find out what really going on feel like a big set up we just need to full in the spaces

jdogmoney said:
Okay, so, I'm on the wrong side of the Atlantic, so I'm watching the premiere tonight. I don't want to be spoiled, but would the ep be too scary for a four-year-old boy?

I don't think there is anything that goes beyond Jurassic Park levels of scary but the monsters in this episode are a particularly kind of creepy.

Parts

jdogmoney said:

If he can sit through Jurassic Park he'll be fine. Still effing scary, though, but in a good way. I grew up on Who and found it terrifying, but it's fine.

maruchan

Dw has not been scary since the reboot. you want scary look at Sylvester McCoy era, as a kid they used to scare the shit out me.. ghost and evil doctor lol...

Tokubetsu

Oh my god. LITERAL chills down my spine.
During the talk between Rory and River.
SO GOOD! Fucking love Moffat. That was brilliant.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I thought the previous season's opener left a stronger impression, but I have to admit it's gonna be difficult to review this without watching the second part. It did seem a lot more similar to regular Sci-Fi than what I'm used to from Doctor Who. Not that I'm complaining.

Karen Gillian's acting abilities have improved a lot since the first season. Smith is as lovely as always, and it's always nice to see Darvill around. Also, loving the Doctor/Song chemistry.

jdogmoney said:

4 years old is maybe a little young, I dont want to spoil anything, but what happens early on might not go down well with him.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Parl said:
Pffft subpar. We need RTD back for the openers.

adipose.jpg

Partners in Crime was a fun romp. It was worth it solely for the Doctor/Donna banter.

A better retort would have been New Earth.

Speaking of which, I'm worried what the continuity-heaviness of this episode will mean for the ratings. This certainly wasn't an episode to show to a newbie.

maharg

idspispopd
If I was a newbie this episode would have hooked me like crack.

But then I'm a sucker for in media res, so maybe I'm unusual.

Stephen Moffat does spoil me so.

Brilliant episode, but that's a bitch of a cliffhanger. I'm assuming the whole 'I'm pregnant' thing will be an important story point, but in the context of this episode it worked well. The episode- from the point where Amy meets the Silent and it gives it's orders, to the final moment- built up the idea that Amy was going to tell the Doctor about his fate, but throwing the curveball that Amy's command was to tell him about a completely different secret was a nice twist.

I wonder what happened to Rory... :(

Mr. Sam

Still my favourite opener by a long way. I like Rose more than most. New Earth was actually alright. I've only felt the need to watch Smith and Jones once. Partners in Crime was poor and that's coming from someone who genuinely liked Donna. Even The Eleventh Hour left me somewhat cold.

Dark Knight said:
Also, bonus points for the fact that Rolling in the Deep was playing in the cafe.

-1000 points for that, seriously, Adele needs to be locked away somewhere dark and soundproof in case she sends the whole fucking planet to sleep with her boring ass music

On topic: 'The Legs, The Nose, and Mrs Robinson' was the best line in the show.

Mr. Sam

Green Scar said:
-1000 points for that, seriously, Adele needs to be locked away somewhere dark and soundproof in case she sends the whole fucking planet to sleep with her boring ass music

On topic: 'The Legs, The Nose, and Mrs Robinson' was the best line in the show.

In the same episode where River Song said "I'm a screamer"? Surely you jest!

Mr. Sam said:
In the same episode where River Song said "I'm a screamer"? Surely you jest!

Haha, that was a good one too (I stand by my original choice though), the follow up where the Doctor forgets that Delaware is completely new to this made me chuckle.

Dark Knight

Neo Member
The Astronaut in the water, which I'm guessing we all think is a Silent, didn't he hit the Doctor with some sort of Green energy? When the Silent in the White House attacked that woman, he used electricity, which was blue in color.

Dark Knight said:
The Astronaut in the water, which I'm guessing we all think is a Silent, didn't he hit the Doctor with some sort of Green energy? When the Silent in the White House attacked that woman, he used electricity, which was blue in color.

Knowing Moffat, the person would killed Doctor +200 is our own present day Doctor

stupei

Zenith said:
That's the last time the Doctor saw her. As she's just spent time with his 900 year old self, him dying at 1100 can't be the last time she saw him. A past version could have taken her out on that date before the Library.

It is canon that the second to last time River will ever see a live version of the Doctor, he will give her a sonic screwdriver and take her on a date. We know when she dies and we know that she said what happened the time she saw him before that.

If they are in fact heading in opposite directions, that bit of the timeline is fudged a little. If every time we see River we're moving further into her past, it would have had to already happen on the Doctor's timeline, right? (I guess we could always assume Ten did all that stuff she told him he was meant to do off screen to make sure the plan in the library would work out alright.)

Linkified

Mr. Sam said:
It won't be a Silent - too obvious. Besides, how would a Silent's massive hands fit in those human-sized astrogloves?

Wasn't it shown from the thand mini that aired before this series that the telephone rings and the girl says 'Theres a monster behind you mr.president turn around', camera pans around around and one of those is standing behind him, and then pans the other way and it looks like a FBI dude.

Ark

You know, I would be quite happy for each DW series to come out as one massive film. I can't stand the cliff hangers :(

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
DoctorWho said:
We only started speculating about it at the end of this episode so you are completely in the loop. You can laugh along with us at all the people who don't know what the hell is going on.
The only issues I'm having with this theory, given the description we were given of the Doctor/River's relationship, is that
her first time meeting the doctor should be his last, as in: a time when he knows everything there is to know about her.

Now this could be countered by bringing up the 2 decade-older Doctor, who complained about how much running he did in his lifetime and wanted to stop, then met his death at the beginning of the episode. I mean his version of the diary this time around seemed more complete and iirc he remembered every encounter River mentioned out of her's. On the other hand he didn't technically meet the kid from 1969, and whether the one on the beach was somehow still hosting the same kid in some weird timey wimey remains to be seen.

I still question though, whether this is the doctor's form in which he and River develop their relationship romantically, and enjoy the better years of their marriage. A period which should theoretically exist at the exact center of their opposite encounter-timeline. I really like Matt's doctor but for some reason I still don't feel like he quite fits River's description of maturity and wisdom (I know this is a tired topic by now lol), but once again, 200 years is a long time, even for a Timelord, a lot of things could happen in a gap like that, so it's the perfect excuse to mask so many developments. Especially if this theory pans out and we're actually witnessing two encounters at the same time: Dying 200 yeas older doctor meeting kid River on the shore, and our regular doctor meeting the regular River.

The final argument against this would be old River not remembering anything about this, however having a memory editing antagonist in this arc is too convenient, no?

Bottom line: "First time the Doctor meets River is the day she dies; first time River meets the doctor is the day he dies" would be an incredible plot point to pull off, but it would take a lot more than whatever nonsense I just written, at least not in the same fashion. But let's not forget that the entire mission is about probably about saving the doctor and altering the course of his timeline in some way, so Matt could be the final doctor's form in the original timeline, which would allow the whole Riversong-opposite-timeline thingy to check out, but after the history-meddling that is about to happen things would change.

Wow, anyone who makes sense of whatever random nonsense I've just typed up deserves to be monetarily compensated. I'm rereading it, and even I can't. Time travelling + Moffat is a deadly combination.

Good night.

Spirit of Jazz said:
River too obvious?

A timelord been forced to kill himself, when he is already the last one alive (Jenny does not count), seems nicer to me - and simpler

I think Moffat has already got too complicated with the River arc to explain her killing the Doctor - either her, our Doctor, older Doc, or the other version of River that would have to exist for that to play out, would already have had to know what was going to happen due to the way the Doc/River Wibbly Wobbly storyline is playing out.

In my opinion, explaining River as the killer, which would mean two Rivers and two Docs existing at the same point in time, with all four of the having forward knowledge of what was going to happen the other three at some point in the future (and/or past depending on their point of view) is like a minefield of plotsholes (even for Moffat).

A 'time wimey' premise trying to prove that it's clever, a precocious kid, River Song making sex jokes, and the Doctor working together with authority figures. Yup, this is Steven Moffat's Doctor Who.

That's not to say it was a bad episode; I actually enjoyed it for the most part. However, the episode had a lot of weak moments, such as the terrible Nixon and the episode taking way too long to get going. This feels like a one shot stretched over two episodes right now. On the plus side, Amy wasn't annoying for a change, and the conversation between River and Rory towards the end of the episode was great. Rory is, as always, amazing. Canton also had some nice moments, and seems like he could be a good character.

I'm interested to see where it goes, and the next episode looks cool, but I was hoping for more from the premier. I feel like Moffat relies too much on the same basic story elements, but that's nothing new. Overall: good, not great.

isny

napkin dispenser
I was surprised by the Gay agenda. I think RTD must have given Moffatt notes on the script or something, lol (I don't mind the stuff in any way, just wasn't expecting it, nor was I expecting the Doctor to talk about guys fancying him)

(In regards to Delaware saying it was illegal for him to get married, for those of you whose heads it went over)

KuwabaraTheMan said:
I'm interested to see where it goes, and the next episode looks cool, but I was hoping for more from the premier. I feel like Moffat relies too much on the same basic story elements, but that's nothing new. Overall: good, not great.

I wasn't really blown away either. If the Doctor had died and we didn't see him come back until the second part of the two parter, that may have made it more interesting. (Also, that was such a waste of shooting in Utah if they really only plan on using 10 minutes of footage from there)

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
isny said:
I wasn't really blown away either. If the Doctor had died and we didn't see him come back until the second part of the two parter, that may have made it more interesting. (Also, that was such a waste of shooting in Utah if they really only plan on using 10 minutes of footage from there)
The previews of next week's episode showed more footage from the same location, if I'm not mistaken.

maharg

idspispopd
KuwabaraTheMan said:
such as the terrible Nixon and the episode taking way too long to get going.

Weird. I liked the Nixon. I like that they didn't go terribly over the top with either the speech pattern or the nose prosthetic, but it was still identifiably him. It's so hard to do Nixon without descending into parody, so being more understated worked well for me.

Of course, I feel like your whole post came out of opposite land, so maybe that shouldn't be too surprising.

isny

napkin dispenser
At least I get the numbers on the skin now.
It's clearly for counting how many times they see a silent.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Galvanise_ said:
You guys are going to suffer brain melts if that episode screws you over.

Later in the series will make your mind do backflips.
The episode itself wasn't really complicated, it's the guess work and speculation I unnecessarily burden my mind with that's frying my brain cells by the millions.

isny said:
At least I get the numbers on the skin now.
It's clearly for counting how many times they see a silent.
Oooh, good point.

isny

napkin dispenser
Also, if 11
"regenerated" this episode, and from the trailers, we know there's another regeneration at some point, would this be the first time we see two regenerations in one season?

celebi23

isny said:
Also, if 11
"regenerated" this episode, and from the trailers, we know there's another regeneration at some point, would this be the first time we see two regenerations in one season?
Oooh, good point. Should be interesting to see the other one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom