• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's your dream localisation?

Linda Cube Again and Ore no Shikabane wo Koete Yuke.

I'm aware these will never happen. :( unless by some miracle they get another port or remake that gets picked up.

We just need SEGA to license the fan translation project and put patched emulated .ISOs of the games up on digital distro. Sadly they're never going to do that.

Well they do seem to be getting off their asses recently as regards their old games.

There's even been mention of saturn ports. I hope they decide to bring stuff to console as I have no interest in playing on my phone.

Tapejara

3c8e2ece1231345e6101a04a1c1a6e6a1499344563_full.jpg

City Shrouded in Shadow. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK67Qu3e8VE It's not out yet, but various licenses (Ultraman, Evangelion and Godzilla) mean the chances are very slim. Best we can hope for is an Asian release with English subs, but even that may prove difficult.

Falcom games are going to get English fan patches within our lifetimes, that's for sure. I'm not expecting any localizer to bring over the oldest games to digital distribution either, but that's fine.

Sad to think we might not get this for ages because of licensing issues with different kaiju IPs.

There's even been mention of saturn ports. I hope they decide to bring stuff to console as I have no interest in playing on my phone.
Shining Force III seems uniquely screwed, though, because the Shining franchise producers at SEGA already don't communicate with Western fans of the games, and the old Shining Force III video takedown on YouTube hasn't left anyone's memories. The trilogy's also a bitter reminder to SEGA that they fucked over Camelot and forced them to find a better partner...called Nintendo. Never underestimate corporate petty politics.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Crossbell games and anything from the Tengai Makyou series. Also Linda^3 and Mother 3.

I discovered it a year ago by chance (on Youtube) and i was blown away by the whole concept and atmosphere.I actually order it a week ago from ebay and hopefully it will arive any day now.I'm learning Japanese so hopefully i'll be able to progress a bit until i eventually get stuck.And yes this is by the same developers who made Extermination one of PS2's hidden gems IMO.

Here's some gameplay from Hungry Ghosts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtuRP3S7naU&t

Hey thanks. Just checked our that gameplay, it looks really awesome. I think I'll add that to my import list as it's never getting localized.

Yea, Extermination is a really underrated launch title. I only found it because Swery played a part in it's development. I'd assume if you've played Extermination, you may have also played Spy Fiction? If not, definitely check that out. It's the game he worked on next after Extermination, it's pretty much Metal Gear Solid combined with Deadly Premonition.

I sometimes wonder what Japanese gamers dream of being localized. It must suck far more for them considering how much smaller of an install base there is there

City Shrouded in Shadow. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK67Qu3e8VE It's not out yet, but various licenses (Ultraman, Evangelion and Godzilla) mean the chances are very slim. Best we can hope for is an Asian release with English subs, but even that may prove difficult.

This for me as well. Importing it next month anyway, but an English release would rock.

Likewise, English releases for any Japan only Yakuza (Ishin, Kenzan, Black Panther 1&2) games and any Capcom/Phoenix Wright releases (Investigations 2, Great Ace Attorney 1&2 etc.) would be very welcome.

emb

One really odd one that I wish we would have gotten is Segagaga. The self referential nature of it seems so neat. But I probably won't bother to play a fan translation or whatever.

It's obscene just how obsessed I was over the idea of getting the full Shining Force 3 experience in English back in the late '90s. It was a a fantastic concept that still pretty much unheard of today.

I wonder if the critical and commercial success of Sonic Mania will nudge Sega towards the concept of letting small, dedicated outside developers handle their dormant franchises.
Probably not.

sublimit

Banned
Hey thanks. Just checked our that gameplay, it looks really awesome. I think I'll add that to my import list as it's never getting localized.

Yea, Extermination is a really underrated launch title. I only found it because Swery played a part in it's development. I'd assume if you've played Extermination, you may have also played Spy Fiction? If not, definitely check that out. It's the game he worked on next after Extermination, it's pretty much Metal Gear Solid combined with Deadly Premonition.

Actually no i didn't know anything about Spy Fiction,thanks!I just checked some gameplay and looks very interesting.I'll add it to my list of PS2 games that i still need to buy.And sadly i'm a terrible person and haven't played Deadly Premonition yet even though it has been in my backlog for years! Urghhh too many games so little time!!!

Shining Force III seems uniquely screwed, though, because the Shining franchise producers at SEGA already don't communicate with Western fans of the games, and the old Shining Force III video takedown on YouTube hasn't left anyone's memories. The trilogy's also a bitter reminder to SEGA that they fucked over Camelot and forced them to find a better partner...called Nintendo. Never underestimate corporate petty politics.

Didn't know that :(

18-Volt

250px-Somabringer_boxart.png

Soma Bringer. It's the best unlocalized DS game and it still hurts. I really want to hear Nintendo's reasoning for keeping this amazing RPG Japan exclusive.

At least we have an active fan TL effort for Shining Force III, since Japanese copies of the Scenarios aren't hard to find.

I sometimes wonder what Japanese gamers dream of being localized. It must suck far more for them considering how much smaller of an install base there is there
Low demand and a small market for newly-localized CRPGs, going from English to Japanese, is maybe the largest reason why Japanese designers and developers stick to old Wizardry/Ultima and domestic derivatives for their influence and understanding of the genre. They definitely have it worse when trying to play our games, and one could also factor cultural/business priorities and their stagnant economy into the problem.

asagami_

Banned
I remember a DS game I wanted to try:

Nora_to_Toki_no_Koubou.jpg

Nora to Toki no Kōbō: Kiri no Mori no Majo, one of the lastest DS games of Atlus

sublimit

Banned
250px-Somabringer_boxart.png

Soma Bringer. It's the best unlocalized DS game and it still hurts. I really want to hear Nintendo's reasoning for keeping this amazing RPG Japan exclusive.

Well they almost didn't brought Xenoblade (another Monolith Soft game) as well...so i don't know.Maybe back then they didn't have much faith in the appeal of Monolith Soft games in the West.

The Yakuza games that didn't come over here are the answer, for me. Stuff like Mother 3 got a fan translation, and that's something I can actually play. But I don't have a modded PS3 and I don't think those Yakuza games got fan translations.

Blood+: One Night Kiss
606063-blood__one_night_kiss_game.jpg

From Grasshopper Manufacture.

Why? Because unlike a few games I want localized there's almost not chance at an official or fan translation.

Other games include Earth Seeker, Zangeki no Reginleiv, FMA Wii and Onechanbara Z.

OP already cheating with his choices.

I would never

Actually no i didn't know anything about Spy Fiction,thanks!I just checked some gameplay and looks very interesting.I'll add it to my list of PS2 games that i still need to buy.And sadly i'm a terrible person and haven't played Deadly Premonition yet even though it has been in my backlog for years! Urghhh too many games so little time!!!

Play Deadly Premonition...

I've said this before, but I think a lot of what I love in Yakuza, a lot of that charm in the sidequests feels pretty familiar to Deadly Premonition. Yakuza might be my favorite franchise, but DP is probably my favorite game.
You're right though, there are way too many games coming out right now. Backlog is really hard to work on.

Fbh

Yakuza ishin was the first thing that came to mind when reading the title. Glad to see it's in the OP.

It's Samurai Yakuza...it doesn't get better than that

sublimit

Banned
dragons-dogma-online.jpg

Best action MMORPG on the market. no other game even comes close.

For someone who considers Dragon's Dogma as one of his favourite games of all time but doesn't like MMO's at all do you think he would like this game?

Also how is the Free to Play business aspect in the game?

I would like an english version of the first Sakura Wars/Taisen game as there's at least a PS3 version.
Oh, and some "THE iDOLM@STER" as a big franchise still going strong but none of the main games are available in english.
At least give it a try.
Very happy that the new Utawarerumono games made it.

guyssorry

Considering how disappointing the Secret of Mana remake looks, I would love to see the Seiken Densetsu Collection localized on Switch.

Growlanser (PSP remake)

Many people on the board has said this is the Growlanser game people should be playing and yet, unless I learn Japanese...that'll never happen.

Top Bottom