• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point & Click Adventure Thread 2017 - Pixels Walk With Me

epmode

I’ve been playing through The Darkside Detective. It’s a short, breezy adventure game with riduclously easy puzzles and sharp dialogue. You investigate paranormal activity with your inept partner cop guy. He’s a bit of an anarchist but he’s too lazy and good natured to act on it. Good times.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
i forgot about this thread! i just played through the journey down trilogy. aside from some obvious budget/experience issues (voice recording quality / questionable animation here and there in the first episode) , I thought the whole thing worked really well. i dug the pseudo-rubacava vibe in episode two.

Tizoc

I’ve been playing through The Darkside Detective. It’s a short, breezy adventure game with riduclously easy puzzles and sharp dialogue. You investigate paranormal activity with your inept partner cop guy. He’s a bit of an anarchist but he’s too lazy and good natured to act on it. Good times.
I plan on starting thus after i finish doki doki

KainXVIII

Beat Simon the Sorcerer 2 - one of the most unfunny adventure games in my life and some puzzles are just too obtuse (like WEAR THE FUCKING DOG??!)
Such a waste for gorgeous pixel art graphics and animations..

simon2-9.gif

simon2-6.gif

And i need to beat Simon 3d someday (boy, this game IS ugly) and Feeble Files..
That is the point in PnC history where I say "I'm done." Early 3D was so ugly, and the gameplay became awful to accommodate it. I remember playing the demo for King's Quest 8 and thinking that my favorite genre was dead.

Thankfully things improved :D

KainXVIII

That is the point in PnC history where I say "I'm done." Early 3D was so ugly, and the gameplay become awful to accommodate it. I remember playing the demo for King's Quest 8 and thinking that my favorite genre was dead.

Thankfully things improved :D

Depends on developers, we have Shadow of Destiny from same year (or even earlier) =)

158543-Shadow_of_Destiny_(USA)-1454817654.jpg

protonion

Simon 3d is ugly and the world should be tighter.

Still I consider it one of the best designed adventures ever. And it's loooong.

4 was meh and I have yet to play 5...

bravoguy

Dear All,

Can anyone guide me I bet Overclocked a History of Violence is based on a book.

I am these days reading a noven in Urdu Language which is a translation published back in 1980's and I am unable to find any original refrence to the original book or the author.

I request all of you if any of you can guide me regarding the original book.

Overclocked_-_A_History_of_Violence_Coverart.png

Tizoc

Dear All,

Can anyone guide me I bet Overclocked a History of Violence is based on a book.

I am these days reading a noven in Urdu Language which is a translation published back in 1980's and I am unable to find any original refrence to the original book or the author.

I request all of you if any of you can guide me regarding the original book.

Overclocked_-_A_History_of_Violence_Coverart.png

So what you're asking is, is this game based on a book, or at least inspired by one?
And if so what is that book's title?
I'll ask around but if you manage to find any interviews related to the game's development that could get you one step closer to your answer :X

epmode

I really enjoyed Overclocked. It came out at a time when adventure games felt dead dead dead so it was a shock to see something with a decent budget. The ending is *awful* though and it kinda ruins the earlier stuff.

I had no idea it was based on a book so I can't really answer your questions.

Ouch... Those early 3d graphics. That's what I love about cartoons, and cartoony games. Bugs Bunny will never, ever look dated.

No no, I meant the actual cartoons :) That's one of the reasons Cuphead is such a hit, too, I'm convinced. Classic cartoons graphics will always be amazing.

Tizoc

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
I heard y'all don't mind Horror Adventure games
Well I got one for y'all right here
header.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/698780/Doki_Doki_Literature_Club/

2Spooky4me2continue

Oh trust me it does feel like THAT but once you get to the parts of the game where the Literacy comes into the story things start getting interesting.
I only got one of the endings in the game, this being a VN and all, but continuing feels pretty disturbing for me to go through :p

F-Pina

Hey guys.
Just got the word out the other day on the Indie Game Development thread.
We announced the sequel to Murder in the Hotel Lisbon! I am really happy to finally start sharing the work we have been doing for the last 2 years (in between client work and other things).

It's called Detective Case and Clown Bot in: the Express Killer and the Steam page is up here -> http://store.steampowered.com/app/711920/
It's the typical sequel. I hit the same notes ad the first one but improve where needed.

Here are some screenshots and don't bother watching the teaser, it's the most stupid thing I could think of doing (even though I love it).

screenshot_01_english1.png

screenshot_02_english1.png

screenshot_04_english1.png

screenshot_05_english1.png

Tizoc

Hey guys.
We announced the sequel to Murder in the Hotel Lisbon! I am really happy to finally start sharing the work we have been doing for the last 2 years (in between client work and other things).

It's called Detective Case and Clown Bot in: the Express Killer and the Steam page is up here -> http://store.steampowered.com/app/711920/
It's the typical sequel. I hit the same notes ad the first one but improve where needed.

Here are some screenshots and don't bother watching the teaser, it's the most stupid thing I could think of doing (even though I love it).

screenshot_01_english1.png

screenshot_02_english1.png

screenshot_04_english1.png

screenshot_05_english1.png

Wicked, looking forward to it!
If you don't mind me saying though, I found the English in the first game to leave much to be desired, so I hope the Localization is improved in the sequel.
Oh btw, you misspelled Length in that final image :X

F-Pina

Wicked, looking forward to it!
If you don't mind me saying though, I found the English in the first game to leave much to be desired, so I hope the Localization is improved in the sequel.
Oh btw, you misspelled Length in that final image :X

I know the English version was not the best in the original. We recently released a patch with a lot of bug fixed including a review of the translation. It comes late but at least it is done.

For the sequel we are taking better care of the English version. In the original I made the mistake of thinking me and 2 friends could handle the translation of 50.000 words to save money. Not doing that again.
And the mistake you see on the screenshot was already fixed, thanks :)

Tizoc

I know the English version was not the best in the original. We recently released a patch with a lot of bug fixed including a review of the translation. It comes late but at least it is done.

For the sequel we are taking better care of the English version. In the original I made the mistake of thinking me and 2 friends could handle the translation of 50.000 words to save money. Not doing that again.

Awesome, I'll give the game a replay in the future, but will aim to play this day 1 :D

Hey guys.

It's the typical sequel. I hit the same notes ad the first one but improve where needed.]

Loved the aesthetic of the first game, reminded me of DoTT. Looking forward to this one!

nitronite

I am genuinely so incredibly impressed by Thimbleweed Park so far (currently on Act 4). After the disappointment that was Broken Age, I was quite apprehensive going into another adventure game 'from the makers of Monkey Island', but I guess I shouldn't have been! Ron Gilbert still knows his stuff when it comes to quirky, self-referential, 4th wall breaking adventure games. The humour is great, you actually have to solve puzzles (unlike Broken Age), and it introduces, at least to me, a new gameplay mechanic in the form of multiple concurrently controllable characters. What more could one ask for?

edit: Can't believe my sleep deprived brain wrote Rob Gilbert...

I am genuinely so incredibly impressed by Thimbleweed Park so far (currently on Act 4). After the disappointment that was Broken Age, I was quite apprehensive going into another adventure game 'from the makers of Monkey Island', but I guess I shouldn't have been! Ron Gilbert still knows his stuff when it comes to quirky, self-referential, 4th wall breaking adventure games. The humour is great, you actually have to solve puzzles (unlike Broken Age), and it introduces, at least to me, a new gameplay mechanic in the form of multiple concurrently controllable characters. What more could one ask for?

edit: Can't believe my sleep deprived brain wrote Rob Gilbert...

I think the reactions to Broken Age are interesting. The game is either to easy, or way too difficult. :) If you don't think you have to solve puzzles in Broken Age, how far did you get?

I for one thought that Broken Age was superior to Thimbleweed Park in pretty much all aspects. Graphics, story, dialogs, humour, puzzles, characters, usage of character switching, etc.

Thimbleweed is still decent, but based on the reactions it had in comparison to Broken Age, I think it's a bit overrated.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
does anyone have any recommendation for adventure games released recently that are kind of like The Journey Down?

I'm looking to get back into P&C adventure gaming but I have a hard time finding games that really appeal to me. I'm not really into all these "funny" cartoonish games that has been released the last few years.

I loooove Broken Sword, Sierras Quest-games and I'm currently watching a playthrough of the Syberia games. Are there any more recent games in a similar vein you can suggest? I played Thimbleweed Park and enjoyed it for a bit, but the multiple protagonist setup was a bit cumbersome.

Kyari

Man I really enjoyed Simon the Sorcerer 1 and 2 as a kid, but I worry those games probably haven't aged well based largely on just how .... mean Simon is?

I'm looking to get back into P&C adventure gaming but I have a hard time finding games that really appeal to me. I'm not really into all these "funny" cartoonish games that has been released the last few years.

I loooove Broken Sword, Sierras Quest-games and I'm currently watching a playthrough of the Syberia games. Are there any more recent games in a similar vein you can suggest? I played Thimbleweed Park and enjoyed it for a bit, but the multiple protagonist setup was a bit cumbersome.

Depending on how far you want to go, I really recommend Gray Matter. It's some years old, and the 3D models are bit to stiff, like so many P&C from that period. But's an awesome mystery adventure, from the creator of Gabriel Knight. Available on both Steam and GOG.

deadfolk

Maybe Technobabylon or Gemini Rue if cyberpunk floats your boat. Anything by Wadjet Eye is worth a look.

Depending on how far you want to go, I really recommend Gray Matter. It's some years old, and the 3D models are bit to stiff, like so many P&C from that period. But's an awesome mystery adventure, from the creator of Gabriel Knight. Available on both Steam and GOG.

Maybe Technobabylon or Gemini Rue if cyberpunk floats your boat. Anything by Wadjet Eye is worth a look.

Good suggestions. I might give Gray Matter a go. I have Technobabylon and tried it out but I had some technical problems with fullscreen or something. Not a fan of the characters I've seen in Technobabylon and Gemini Rue.

Wich brings me to - why are the design of the protagonist in P&C games always so unlikeable? I got Book of Unwritten Tales, but as soon as I got to play the main character I was put off.

I mean, where's the Woodruffs of this age?
IMG_3086.gif

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
holy shit. they're charging $45.00AUD for first syberia game on switch by itself!?

it'd consider it for the trilogy or even the original two. but just the first game? i can buy all three on steam for roughly that price. :|

Tizoc

holy shit. they're charging $45.00AUD for first syberia game on switch by itself!?

it'd consider it for the trilogy or even the original two. but just the first game? i can buy all three on steam for roughly that price. :|

They after that Switch munnay
They know them Ninty fans are gonna do anything tos how their support for their savior console :V

deadfolk

Good suggestions. I might give Gray Matter a go. I have Technobabylon and tried it out but I had some technical problems with fullscreen or something. Not a fan of the characters I've seen in Technobabylon and Gemini Rue.

Wich brings me to - why are the design of the protagonist in P&C games always so unlikeable? I got Book of Unwritten Tales, but as soon as I got to play the main character I was put off.

IMG_3086.gif

You're using Woodruff as an example of a likeable character? Smh, lol.

Any chance of getting the original on GOG one of these days? Or is this another case of their weird submission process blocking you out?

IMG_3086.gif

Thimbleweed Park gives you both - Delores is probably one of the most likeable P&C protags, while Ransome is very unlikeable (though his dialogue and va are both great).

Tizoc

Cuphead is kicing my butt.
So I'ma have me a turkey sandwich for dinner, fire up Darkside Detective and finish it to move onto the next PnC game on the list.

Top Bottom